Bloodborne

A Quick Look Back, A Strong Push Forward

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jun 13, 2007 // President & CEO

I hope you’re enjoying our official SCEA blog. Personally speaking, it’s great to finally have a place where we can talk candidly about the things we (and you) care about. While it’s no substitute for a one-on-one conversation, I’m excited to have a chance to listen and talk with you here. With that said, everything communicated in any form these days has to be considered an “on-the-record statement” so as much as I’d like to, I can’t completely throw my corporate hat out the window.

From where I sit, this industry has the most passionate consumers of any I’ve ever encountered. For some, gaming is a way to kill some time, for others it’s a favorite hobby, but for many it’s a way of life. As a gamer myself, I fall somewhere between a low to mid level enthusiast mainly because of free time. My day job is ironically eating away at my gaming time, although lately I’m finding the PSP has helped me reclaim some of this lost time on long plane trips.

For twenty one years I’ve worked exclusively in the industry. The last twelve have been with Sony Computer Entertainment. It’s been just over six months since I became President and CEO here and I can assure you that gaming is clearly my life. Now that we’ve got the hardware to drive the business, we’re putting all our efforts into insuring that we help create the best games possible for you to enjoy. My pledge is that we will continue to put you first and foremost, to understand what you really want from us. In fact, this blog is one way that I’m hoping this happens.

In 1995, when we launched the PlayStation, the majority of the gamers were twelve to seventeen year old boys. 2D platform, fighting, racing, and sports games were the norm. Platforms were born and died within five years maximum. There was minimal difference between hardware platforms. We here at Sony championed 3D graphics, CD based technology and a more mature diverse library of games. We believed that our platform had a lifecycle that should survive well beyond the traditional five years. Some of the initial criticism we received was that the hardware was a bit pricey, the system was hard to develop for and the early software line-up needed some work. When we introduced PlayStation 2 in 2000 we received much of the same criticism. When we introduced DVD based storage we were told that CD had more than enough capacity to store game data. In a few short years DVD had all but replaced CD and that storage capacity was being squeezed by the development community. In 2006 the song remained much the same. Most of you know what transpired: 100 million PlayStations and thousands of great games later, the PlayStation had a ten year run and could still be selling today. PlayStation 2 left our original success in the dust and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

We fully realize that past success is no guarantee of future success, but it does give you some perspective. We have to bring the games to market that will showcase what the PS3 can do and ultimately entertain you like no other games have. We need to provide proof of what the PS3 can do for you and work tirelessly to improve the value and justify your investment. At the end of the day, it’s always been about the games. To push the boundaries of gaming beyond where they currently lie takes a great deal of risk. I think all the hardware manufacturers are doing that in some way. We could have easily produced PlayStation 2.5 at a slightly increased price over the older model, and driven some nice profits and marginal innovation for a few years but that’s not how we got where we are today. You have to gamble and make major investments in the present that will pay dividends in the future.

We’re working hard to put the best tools in the hands of the development community so they can take you places you never imagined possible. We have more than 15 games coming from our own internal studios alone this year for PS3. Our third party partners will weigh in with a host of great games giving us more than 100 titles by year end on that system alone. At our Gamer’s Day event a few weeks back, we announced 18 exclusive games for PSP. This year, PS2 owners will get a little something for everyone with games like Buzz! and Singstar. Oh, and you certainly can’t forget the PlayStation Network. Right now, we are working on a slew of games and game packs that will be offered through the PlayStation Store in the coming months, including Warhawk, which personally speaking, is the PS3 game I’ve been playing most lately.

We are heading into one of the biggest shows of the year for the videogame industry. E3 is only a month away. Everyone here at SCEA is working very hard and is dedicated to pushing the development envelope to show you not only new stuff for games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, but also a few surprises we have up our sleeves that no one has seen. You can check in here for updates as we head into the show, and I will be sure to report back once E3 begins.

So, that’s it for now from me. I really hope you enjoy our new blog. I think it is a great way for us to share information and for you to communicate back with us. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and posting more here in the weeks to come!

311 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7

+ Neo Amon on June 14th, 2007 at 11:02 pm said:

the only game that could surprise me is the ”legend of dragoon” sequel for which ive been waiting for ages >_>

+ aggiechase37 on June 14th, 2007 at 11:39 pm said:

i have been a nintendo fan all my life. i have owned every nintendo system they ever came out with. my favorite game was zelda. i have owned every zelda game that has ever come out.

when i saw the next gen system being developed and looked at specs i took a deep breath and decided to go against the grain. nintendo has been lying to us about going online for 2 straight systems now. online is critical to me because i am a 26 year old grad student in texas with most of my friends and family now scattered across the united states. so being able to play against them online was my primary motivation for diving into my first sony system. that and the blu ray. for me blu ray was a huge selling point! so i took a hard look at the xbox 360 and the ps3. i wanted high def so i reasoned that the 360 would be just as expensive were i have to bought it with the add on hd-dvd. tack on the cost of playing online at $50 a year and how has no one caught up the fact that this system is more expensive? the ps3 was easily the best deal in my humble consideration and i thusly made the acquisition. Iihave been very pleased with my first stray from ol’ faithful nintendo, though i do seriously want the new zelda i couldn’t reason for spending $300 for a new system and one game. all the rest of the games have been receiving poor reviews and apparently the graphical quality is laughable. i have not seen this system live in action so i don’t know, but the specs don’t look promising at all. it’s strange, but as soon as i jump off the nintendo bandwagon nintendos start selling like crack donuts in the ghetto.

in lieu of all that praise i have only 1 and half gripes:

1. mlb 07 the show needs a major overhaul. that game is buggy and the online traffic delays are a nightmare. no other games i have are like this. what is the deal? i am a huge baseball fan and the game is fantastic, but good lord the bugs are glaring. i have a brother who is in the minor leagues and we can’t even play each other because the traffic delays and disconnects are insurmountable. did no one proof read the code before release? please fix this game!

2. so most of the games i have there are options to turn the music all the way down. with the 120 gb hdd i installed i have plenty of my own music that is more my taste. why no custom soundtracks? microsoft has been doing this for the past 2 systems. from the other posts i see that i am not the only one griping and i realize that it will likely come via a future firmware update, but is 6 months not enough time? what’s going on in the hardware department? believe me i am stoked to stream keeley hazell’s boobs from my computer to the widescreen while my girlfriend is away for the summer working with kids who have their hands burned off, but i don’t want a $600 wack off machine. well i do, but i would rather also have the ability to play the games while listening to my own music instead of some garbage the record companies come up with.

on a side note – what happened to rock and roll. i want to listen to long haired guys who do drugs and could kill me. i don’t want to listen to some punk kids who experiment sexually with the other band members and whine about their meaningless lives in their lyrics.

gripe concluded.

sony, i have great faith in my decision to join what was once the enemy. don’t let me down.

+ Solid snakeps3 on June 14th, 2007 at 11:47 pm said:

im really glad about this blog. The ability to give Sony input really restores a lot of faith i have in this company. Thanks again!

+ princelance222 on June 15th, 2007 at 3:24 am said:

I really hope you guys (sony people) would stop making promises and start making something that will help the PS3 not suck..Also, I hope you guys are doing something about keeping your exclusive titles too because, as you lose AAA titles to MS, I don’t see why I should drop big bucks on your console, if I can play the games I want on a much cheaper console..A lot of people just like me wants a PS3 but are still waiting because, let’s face it..you guys haven’t got any good games right now that could justify the high price tag..We don’t want to buy a gaming console only to watch movies, okay? I’m saying these things because I don’t want to see my beloved console sink to the bottom of the sea.E3 will decide wether me and my friends will get a PS3 or a Wii60. lol

remember sony, everybody’s watching…

+ Smikes on June 15th, 2007 at 4:05 am said:

First of all I’d like to say congratulations on the blog, its a great idea and one that hopefully all of us can use to pass ideas to one another.
You’ve certainly hit the nail on the head with the games situation and I must say that I’m in agreement with a lot of people in saying that we need more on PSN to tide us over while we wait.
Being a gamer from the UK I’m desperately waiting for some of the PSone classics to rear their head and as myself and a few friends have discussed, we can’t understand why they cannot be released on US and Europe networks simultaneously as this is possible with firmware how hard can it be? Anyway here’s hoping something comes our way soon.

+ sacrificed on June 15th, 2007 at 5:23 am said:

I recently recieved a ps3 as a gift. I personaly was waiting for top tier games to come out before purchasing it because i felt that with what’s out now that it would just collect dust. That is what it is doing, but I am still hopefull that with exclusives like Metal Gear Solid that wont continue for long. I hope your company will work hard to bring more top notch exclusives to the system and also bring in refreshing original titles.

On a side note, sony should devolope a sequel of Legend of Dragoon for the ps1. That game rocked.

+ DevilWillcry on June 15th, 2007 at 6:48 am said:

A little off topic, but when will thrid-party developers have access to HOME tools, so they can implement “trophy” acheivments and other features in their games. There are several third party games in the coming future that I would really love to have trophies for (DMC4, Assassin’s Creed, Sigma, MGS4, etc.).

Also, how soon will developers have access to rumble implementation in their games. Its seems it would be best to get that into the developers hands as soon as possible. This way when HOME and Dualshock3 are actually out, gamers are able to take advantage of both right away. It seems like it would make sense to have the tools for these things in the hands of the developers before Home and Dualshock are actually released. Other than that, keep up the good work. I am loving the blog.

+ Razrsharp on June 15th, 2007 at 7:27 am said:

I can’t wait for E3 to see all the new games for my PS3. I need more games.

+ ShinnokDrako on June 15th, 2007 at 12:40 pm said:

This is a bit OT… but i feel like saying it: i read that Microsoft is going to get Beautiful Katamari as its exclusive title. If Sony looses this too it would be very bad, cause Japanese really want to play this title. So they’ll buy Xbox360 instead of a PS3 more happily… i think this wouldn’t have to happen….

According to me, for that “push forward”, Sony needs more exclusives, not only big titles or so, but titles that instead of huge graphic can offer fun too. And Katamari, for this, would be a pity…

+ ogshady on June 15th, 2007 at 1:28 pm said:

I really enjoy hearing new’s straight from Jack. I saw very little of him at the last E3 and I always thought he had a good head on his shoulders. This blog is such a good idea. I can’t believe how much content is up already. Keep it up guys. I’ll be listening in…

+ PSFaithful on June 15th, 2007 at 9:48 pm said:

Sony is definitely making a strong push when it comes to the games… I get excited with each new event. In the off chance that someone at Sony actually pays attention to this post… there’s not a PS forum on the internet where your fans have not been waiting on a sequel/prequel to Legends of Dragoon! With all of the excellent work your internal studios have been doing (and current lack of JRPG’s)… this would be a great time to see it happen ;-)

+ Kratos on June 15th, 2007 at 10:10 pm said:

By the way, even though I voted for Heavenly Sword as my most anticipated game, and Warhawk seems to be getting the least votes, I’m really loving the Warhawk beta.

I hope it doesn’t get any less Sony love because of getting slightly fewer votes than the other two games on the poll.

+ Ghostm on June 16th, 2007 at 2:04 am said:

Can someone here at Sony please tell me why is XBox 360 getting “GTA 4″ episodic content during the 2008 fiscal year and not PS3? I’m soooo upset about this. What’s going Sony? Are you guys even putting up a fight for getting us some exclusive stuff? Everytime MS cuts into our cake it pisses me off big time.

+ chase on June 16th, 2007 at 2:10 am said:

Dragons Lair Blu-Ray does anybody know if this game is out or coming out

+ yohonflinstone on June 16th, 2007 at 5:27 am said:

it’s about time for this blog site but I need to know one thing sony…… Why are future games like Dirt coming out for the 360 then months later for the PS3?? I checked alot of release dates and alot of games are like that that are multiplatform?? Why is this?? What’s the hold up Sony??

+ Playstation Lover on June 16th, 2007 at 6:29 am said:

Thank you!
But may I ask you why you maked Playstation 3 so expensive from the begining?

Indead I love Playstation 3 but If you just chosed a little cheaper CPU like Intel Core Due Quad and maked sure that you had enogh Blu-Ray lasers then you could buy the Rumble license and then everybody would love playstation 3 form the begining!

And why dident you had home from start?

I´m going to buy a PS3 and a PSP Slim that I know you´re going to show on E3 and then will I use them like there was nothing else for me ; P

+ ahh bisto on June 16th, 2007 at 10:08 am said:

i really feel as though i have been ripped off. i shelled out £500 on a ps3, call of duty and fight night….. what a waste of my VERY HARD EARNED CASH!!

i cant understand why you let a second rate console that NEEDS monthly updates hit the shelves. i understand that things will get much better with time but concidering that the price is likely to drop in time i find it hard to accept that my money was well spent.

everything i could want and more is available for less than half the price of a ps3 in the form of a xbox 360… i know that me saying this will drive the ps loyalists crazy but its true, the games and the online features are at the moment better, even the control pads are far superior.

i have no doubt that in 12 months time things will be totaly different but my gripe is that when i got my xbox 360 it was £260 there was plenty of decent games for me to choose from and the online feature was flawless… none of this can be said for the ps3 as yet but even still we have been overcharged and told by you guys at sony to sit and wait for the good stuff to come, as for us lot in europe, we will be told to sit and wait even longer i supose as delays seem to be the norm for us.

i only wish i had kept hold of my 360 to see me through the long wait we have ahead, i supose i could always read a long book, do an anatomy degree or even just stab myself in the legs for few month while i wait…. its gotta be better than playing F.E.A.R

+ Garinol on June 17th, 2007 at 8:32 am said:

Jack, you’re great! Thanks for the warm words. I agree with you 100%.

+ SkipDC83 on June 17th, 2007 at 12:49 pm said:

Keep these regular updates coming!

+ Rip-Ridah on June 17th, 2007 at 1:36 pm said:

It’s great that you bring up E3. Footage and downloadable video would be great to have on the PSN. Also, I agree that PSN game demo for all games would be vital in pushing me to buy some of the games. Thanks for the info Jack!

+ FTV on June 17th, 2007 at 6:23 pm said:

I just wanted to see if a negative comment would make it on the site because I found it hard to believe there would be so many positive comments. Basically, SONY has many fundamentally flawed philosophies when it comes to business and it’s reflected in almost everything they do. They’re focus as a company is too broad to really allow them to do any particular thing very well. That’s not to say they’re below average. In fact, they’re very much like many of the worlds most “successful” companies. But just because a company makes a lot of money doesn’t mean they do good work. It just means they know how to make money and unfortunately good work and good money don’t always go hand and hand. Fortunately the games industry, right now, does seem to be trending towards rewarding people with real focus. Focus on making the best possible product to fill the exact need of the customer. If SONY wants to continue to compete, they’ll need to take a step back and really think long and hard about why they have anything to do with games. What exactly is the need that they are aiming to fill? If they can really answer that question then maybe they’ll have a shot. But I doubt they’re up to it.

+ ShinnokDrako on June 18th, 2007 at 2:00 pm said:

I have something else to say.. check this:

Well, it seems we’ll have to pay for the PSN service a day… is it true? Well, i’m ready to sell my PS3 if that happens. I don’t want to pay anything that has been promised free.

this is my mail: lukeskywal@email.it

Tretton, send me just a “Hi/Bye”. I wanna see if Sony ppl are reading this blog or just post and then nothing more. If i get a message, an automatic one is ok too, then it’s ok, you’re really listening to us. Otherwise dunno… Cause things aren’t going very good…

+ GAME-HERO on June 18th, 2007 at 3:58 pm said:

It’s exciting to witness the Sony Company making an effort to comunicate with it’s share holders (PS3 owners) as well as your personal commitment to reach out to the gaming public, Knowing Sony is commited to giving us the best possible game experience re-inforces our investment of the superior console.

Thank You Mr. President!
PSN ID: GAME-HERO

+ ChaosBahamut on June 18th, 2007 at 4:14 pm said:

What’d I’d like to know is if the 480i resolution will still be supported to its full potential, as in no “Small Text” problem that games such as Dead Rising for the 360 have on SDTVs. One major key is that a lot of people still have SDTVs, and they need to feel as if they got $600 worth of hardware. (after all, not all of us have 2-3 grand for a 1080p HDTV) Also, if developers want to provide free stuff over PSN, it may not be wise to force them to place a cost anyways. (not naming any other companies, but I don’t need to) Feel free to e-mail me at jac5232@yahoo.com if you read this, if only as a confirmation that it was read.

I for one can see the potential the PS3 has, and the day it’s realized is the day I’ll take the plunge. (if I have the moolah) No sooner though.

P.S. I’m not a Sony fanboy. I’m a game fanboy and will go where the games go. And I’d say all 3 systems of this generation have at least one game I’m interested in.

+ Razer210 on June 18th, 2007 at 9:57 pm said:

Good to see, better PR is a good thing. Dead goats FTL.

+ ruairiau on June 18th, 2007 at 10:02 pm said:

Its great to see Sony finally catch up with MS on the blog side of things. In the past, there has been no open community forum for us, the consumers, to vent our frustrations at some of the decisions made at your end.
I have an Xbox 360, 2 PSP’s , 2 DS’s and a Wii – but no PS3. Im not making that sort of financial commitment quite yet as I feel you guys really screwed up with the PSP. All I ever wanted was streaming video. But you guys wanted to rip us off with the LocationFree crap.
Sony has a long way to go before I will be lining your pockets again.

+ GAME-HERO on June 19th, 2007 at 7:07 am said:

It would be nice to receive a Unique Trophy (Like a Hero Trophy for helping to save lives) in our Playstation “Home” trophy display case for all of those gamers who participate in the “Folding@Home” project. What’s your thoughts?

gamegodfather@hotmail.com

PS: I would have spent a $1000.00 dollars for the PS3, of course I see the potenial of this console and have long had faith in Sony and it’s Playstation products.

Game On Mr President!

+ Savage on June 19th, 2007 at 9:37 am said:

If Sony is truly serious about embracing user content, they need to release a similar development environment to XNA ( http://www.xna.com/ ) and make it super easy for people to share their games with the community. This would also allievate the need for offical PS3 releases. If you are unable to bring out an XNA competing product, release the specs/drivers so that developers can access the RSX graphics chip. More software for your console, will sell more consoles. Software sells hardware. Embrace the homebrew community. You’ll thank them in the long run.

+ Loucifer on June 20th, 2007 at 10:47 am said:

LOL…yea ok like the CEO of a huge company like Sony is going to take the time out of his day of meetings, lunches and voicemails to type up this crap…yes Jack if thats really you…this is CRAP!!!!!

Maybe someone st Sony needs to be fired to light a fire under someones ass to get a grip on reality and release some damn games already…i mean seriously by the time Rainbow 6 and GRAW II are released the Xbox will be ready with the 2nd parts to the games

+ DanteZero on June 20th, 2007 at 4:37 pm said:

Congratulations Sony on a job well done, or so you may think. I love my PS3 to bits but I can’t help feeling I feel hard done by as a european gamer. once again we are being left till last. This will make it the third time it has happened with the consoles. I must make it clear though am not being influenced by the bad press. I feel a little hard done by by a couple of things because of the following :
1:) Official Playstation magazines delay last month with the demo disc. Also the lack of fresh new demos instead of rehased from the PSN network.
2:) Lack of content on PSN europe. Yes that is being rectified but we are way behind. This shouldn’t have been a problem as we were already 6 months behind with the launch.
3:) Do developers hate us europeans?. All i see bounded about the internet are beta’s for this and that but only if your American. What happened to global Unity. I want the be involved in Beta’s of Warhawk and the agency and Home. But can I get involved? no becasue a. am not american and b. because you make it so hard for us gamers to get involed.

Sorry if this sounds sceptical because i really enjoy my PS3 (even with the lack of content). But I find it hard as my confidence is waivering. Yes the future is bright. Yes there are great things happerning and so much more to come. But my question is this, at what price?. Not money wise but us loyal gamers. I can only compare you to my favorite football team Bolton. Reliably good football team that always over achieves on a shoe string and never fail to impress but also never rewards it’s fans with a trophy or something to make them extremely proud or shout about.
Please Mr Harrison if your reading this, I am not the only who thinks this. Take these Sony values of being Exciting and Innovative and Trustworthy apply them not to the counrty with the biggest wallet but to the little people that support the bigger markets.

Also some suggestions for next firmware update. Can we get some proper multi media like the connect store and some things like music video movies, etc like the PSP store has in place or take advatage of the relationship you have with Apple and get their i-tunes content. Also RSS feeds. was really dissapointed when this wasen’t on the last one.

On plus note, okay job so far and lets hope that now the balls rolling that it will continue to snow ball quicker.

Peace out.

P.S. sorry about being negative, i’m sure you understand. Cheers

+ DaddyBurrito on June 21st, 2007 at 11:43 am said:

Hello Jack,
As an industry journalist (www.deadlytech.com) I am very pleased to see that Sony has finally decided to use a blog to stay more closely in touch with their consumers. Our site has not focussed as much attention on Sony only because both Microsoft and Nintendo have demonstrated eagerness to work with us on new and product reviews. The team at DeadlyTECH.com feels that staying close in touch with the community and the public is key to the long term success of an platform or software manufacturer. Sony has traditionally been very close with information and is only now starting to take steps to provide better end user conduits. Sony has always produced excellent quality products and with statements made over the last two weeks regarding growth of software library for the PS3 I think things will start to get more interesting in the console wars. Nintendo and Microsoft both have a solid head start. One has innovation and creativity and the other simply leads in installed base and volume of available NextGen titles. As the PS3 gains momentum it will certainly catch up, though I believe a key element that will boost its numbers would be the demise of the Playstation 2. I understand the value of having both the PS3 and PS2 in production with new titles coming out for both but with the PS2 still available there isn’t as much of a compelling reason for new customers to purchse the more expensive system.
Well I have said my piece for now. Jack, welcome to blogspace, it’s nice to have you. My team at DeadlyTECH has contacted SCEA PR to discuss our relationship. If the discussion is fruitful the public may see more comprehensive Sony coverage in the not-so-distant future. As we also host LAN and title launch events we would appreciate Sony’s participation as we feel it can only enhance brand awareness in the public’s mind.

+ codemonkey on June 21st, 2007 at 10:43 pm said:

Hey Jack,

Who’s minding the shop at Zipper? Senior management there has no team building/leadership skills and development is seriously suffering. They are busy throwing out people with good leadership skills.

+ monster on June 24th, 2007 at 10:46 pm said:

hi,I’m glad to see this .There are many playstation series gamers in China (while many illegal copied discs are same here). All of us are waiting for a big thing happened on PS3! PLEASE let us know it ‘s a worthy thing.

+ ykiki on June 26th, 2007 at 12:32 am said:

How do I get an avatar? (Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I tried to use the search feature to look for ‘avatar’ and it came up blank)

+ haseeb on June 26th, 2007 at 4:48 pm said:

I personally feel that the ps store needs some more content, although it out classes the xbox live arcade its just there not much demos out there for games such as rainbow six vegas, virtua fighter, need for speed carbon, and maybe some demos of games that are coming out soon would be nice. Other that that good job guys the ps3 really impressed me. Online wise resistance is where i am at, i occasionally play motorstorm online.

+ Jeigh on June 28th, 2007 at 3:45 am said:

I have 100% faith in you! Keep giving me the tools and I’ll continue to give you the gamers!

+ Psychedelicide on June 28th, 2007 at 10:53 am said:

Its great to finally have a blog that keeps us informed with first-hand information.

For me, the greatest thing U guys have done with the PS3 so far is “region free” game releases. Its great to see U recognising this as a global community.

This means that I can finally play baseball video games here in Australia, even if they are not released here.

Whatever happens with BD movie titles in the future, please make sure PS3 games stay region free.

+ FaustsHausUK on June 28th, 2007 at 12:16 pm said:

You say:

“Platforms were born and died within five years maximum.”

- The original Atari system (VCS and hardware revisions) was released in around 1977 and I believe the last game for it was released in the early ’90s.
- The Nintendo Entertainment System was released in 1985 (1983 in Japan) and the system was officially discontinued in 1995.
- The Amiga 500 (technically a home computer but predominantly used for gaming) was released in 1987 and games were produced for it and its hardware revisions until the mid-’90s.
- The original GameBoy was released in 1989. It’s last game, Pokémon Yellow, was released in 1999 but Game Boy Color titles produced after this date were often compatible. Its true successor, Game Boy Advance, was released in 2001.

While I am very glad the original PlayStation was released, bringing with it 3D graphics, CD-quality audio and better mainstream acceptance of video gaming, Sony didn’t end any supposed short hardware life cycle – it instigated it by disrupting the industry.

Not necessarily a bad thing, because increased competition and innovation is benefitting us gamers, but at some point it’s going to have to slow down again. Because as consoles get more complicated and thus more expensive, people will be more reluctant to upgrade so frequently.

+ The_Jump_Off on June 29th, 2007 at 6:50 pm said:

Wow. I couldnt have wrote this speech better. Seriously. Because I wrote the exact same thing millions of times all of the Playstation 3 boards, Gamespot, IGN, PSU lol. Whatever. Im just happy to finally see SONY SAY SOMETHING so people understand. They don’t take the average joe’s (me) word for it even though i already know what needs to be known about the Playstation. Quality. Period.

Its good to see people (teenagers) and other adults around my age who actually lost contact with video games feel safe buying a PS3.

Me myself, I always went for Sony. PS1 did great. PS2 did Excellent. PS3 will be extraordinary to say the least.

My father told me once when i asked “Dad lets the the RCA TV, its a big screen and same price as sonys littler screen”, he replied “true son, but its not quality, Sony is quality, Next year that big screen TV will be broke, and the Sony Tv will last 10 years”

He was right and wrong. We ended up getting both (he wanted to prove a point).

The RCA did brake in the next year.

But the SONY didn’t last no 10 years.

It lasted 15 years, and is honestly displaying ESPN perfectly as it did brand new out the box 15 years ago right next to me as i type this.

Sony. Never stray away from Quality. Learn from History. Too many companies get so much money they get greedy, make cheaper stuff, lose quality, lose face, and lose business. You guys haven’t. So please keep up the good work!

+ The_Jump_Off on June 29th, 2007 at 6:54 pm said:

Editor Comment”””

“Dad lets get the RCA TV”

^^^ Correction (also this was way back in about 1993)

Also it will be 15 years in Jan 1. 08

+ chug20 on June 29th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

I’m sure nobody is going to read this way down here, but if you at Sony are working so hard to get the best games to us, and are doing so much to help the development community, why do i CONSTANTLY read stories like this:

It’s talking about the fact that Madden ’08 will be running at 60fps for Xbox 360 and only 30fps on PlayStation 3. For a console that’s supposed to be SO powerful, this is insane, and I’m sick of it. I hate having to have my nose rubbed into the fact that my favorite piece of hardware can’t compete with Xbox 360.

I have been a faithful Sony fan for a long time, and all I ask for is a little appreciation in the form of better dev kits for third parties, and the tools and instructions to allow those developers to better utilize the PlayStation 3. I understand that the PlayStation 3 is newer and a little more difficult to program for, but for a system-selling game like Madden to arrive on PlayStation 3 in terrible shape compared to other versions is nuts.

What makes it worse is the fact that this isn’t an isolated incident. Just about EVERY cross-platform game looks or plays better on the Xbox 360, and that is inexcusable. Something needs to be done, or I will be using my purchasing dollars to buy what Sony’s competitors put out there.

Thank you.

+ Ivan on July 3rd, 2007 at 5:38 pm said:

Mouse and keyboard support would be really nice. Many PC gamers waited for PS3 believing that it will end their decade-long suffering with hardware upgrades etc, and now there’s still a big obstacle as there’s no m/k support yet. I know that maybe it’s not that important in playstation philosophy, but it’s nothing special for you to do, and i guarantee :) that thousands of PC gamers will end up buying the PS3. Or some nice alternative controller for FPS and RTS titles…

+ bambu on July 6th, 2007 at 5:59 am said:

Hey the following was pulled from an industry news source, it shows how Microsoft again is losing money on an inferior product, this is just the kind of slip-up we need for PS3 to start kicking their butt!

Home > Sci-Tech > Technology

Xbox 360 repairs will cost Microsoft USD 1 Billion

Los Angeles, July 06: Microsoft Corp. said it would take a more than $1 billion charge to fix “an unacceptable number of repairs” to its Xbox 360 video game consoles and had missed shipment targets for the end of June.

Microsoft is under pressure with mounting complaints about Xbox 360 failures on the Internet and growing expectations that Sony Corp. could slash the price of its rival PlayStation 3 console at a video game exposition next week.

So far Microsoft has the lead on Sony in the battle for high-end video game machines, but it shipped only 11.6 million 360s by the end of June, compared with a target of about 12 million, Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said during a conference call with analysts on Thursday.

Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft`s entertainment and devices division, said the timing of the announcement about the charge for the quarter ending in June and a new extended warranty were unrelated to any potential move by Sony. “This is just one of those things that happens when it happens,” Bach said in an interview. “We reached our conclusion early this week and because it`s a financially meaningful issue we had to announce it immediately.”

The hardware issue has marred a string of successes for Xbox 360, which has built an early lead over the PlayStation 3 with Microsoft`s strong lineup of games and popular online service. But it is also finding increasing competition for some parts of its business, such as Apple Inc.`s incursion into television shows delivered over the Web, which is also a feature of the Xbox online service.

RED FLASHING LIGHTS

Microsoft said it had investigated the sources of hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console and had identified “a number of factors” that can cause such failures. Bach said many of those factors took time to show up in the consoles, explaining why the number of repairs had grown in the second year of the Xbox 360`s release. He would not say exactly how many Xbox 360s had been returned due to hardware issues except that “the number is too large.”

The company said it would extend warranty coverage to three years to cover the problem and would reimburse customers who had previously paid for repairs related to the three-flashing-lights error message. It also said it has made improvements to the Xbox 360 console. The charge will be in a range of $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion, before taxes, for the quarter ended June 30, Microsoft said.

Microsoft had already cut its forecast for Xbox 360 shipments in January. It had previously forecast shipments of 13 million to 15 million by the end of June. “What you have to ask yourself as an investor is, should Microsoft be in the hardware business?” said Kim Caughey, senior analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group, which oversees about $1.2 billion, including Microsoft shares, for clients. She added, however, that the charge should not be a concern for long-term investors.

“It`s a lot of money, let`s not say it isn`t,” Caughey said. “But if you`re a long-term holder, I don`t think it`s going to have that great an impact.” Bach said the new warranty would not impact the Xbox division`s plan to turn a profit in fiscal 2008, which started this month.

He was also mum on the issue of whether Microsoft would announce a price cut for the Xbox 360 console if Sony made a similar move. “We will assess what we do with pricing and other aspects of our business based on our own business,” he said. Microsoft shares dropped slightly to $29.91 after closing at $29.99 on Nasdaq.

Bureau Report

+ ewilliams on July 10th, 2007 at 10:52 am said:

I have a psp and love it. 3 days ago I was playing it and the joystick poped off. I was in the hospital waiting for my wife to get out of sugery. I pulled out my psp and fired up some Texas hold’em. I didn’t even get past the menu when the joystick poped off. The next day after I got my psp I went out and bought the metal carring case to protect it. I have treated my psp like a baby. I have owened the ps1, ps2, and a lot of the ps gear. When the ps1 broke I called the ps company and they stated, ” we’re sorry, send it back and well fix it.” The samething with the ps2. I have always felt good about spending my money with the Playstation company, because they have always taken care of their customers. Now today I called to get my psp fixed and they told me that to get my $300 dollar psp fixed. I would have to spend $89 more dollars and I would only get a refurbished one. Mind you there would only be a 90 day warranty on the refurbished one, and the joystick is not covered in any warranty offered by playstion. The Playstation representative then went on to tell me that the joystick just don’t pop off so I neglected my psp somehow. So now I have about $600 dollars of psp gear that is no longer usable unless I pay $89 more dollars to get my psp fixed. The represenatative went on to say that there were no othe options but to send my psp to them to fix it, because there is no other company that can fix it. Now if this is were Playstation is going I may have to look at another gaming system. I deffinatly don’t want to, but it seems like your not making enough money from us already. I have no problem spending money for a new game or gear, but not to fix something that I don’t even think I broke. Is it possible that out of the thousands of psp’s that you have made that one my be defective?

PAGE 1 4 5 6