Uncharted 4

Inside the Developers Studio: Cory Barlog

Cory Barlog's Avatar + Posted by Cory Barlog on Jun 25, 2007 // Sony Santa Monica Studios

Today we kick-off our Inside the Developers Studio series with guest author, Cory Barlog, creative director for God of War: Chains of Olympus.

622878707_dc55d7e391.jpg

1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
God of War: Chains of Olympus

2. Describe it in five words or less.
Kind of limiting, huh? Well I think the best description is that it’s ‘God of War for PSP.’

3. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?
Jack Thompson. I think after 5 minutes of playing the game that hard crunchy exterior would melt away and reveal his candy coated liberal center.

4. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Bioshock. That game looks pretty amazing and I’m dying to see how it feels. I think I would want more than an hour though…how about two?

5. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
Does this really count as an E3? I mean, it’s like a mini-E3…so I will count it as one-half of an E3. So with that in mind, I would say 7 and 1/2.

6. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
A loud, stinky, electronic orgasm.

7. Most over used phrase or expression during E3 season.
You have a ticket to the (insert company name here) party?

8. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
A fifth of Jack Daniels, a bottle of ibuprofen, and a package of hand sanitizing wipes, and some AXE body spray along with some Altoids for some of the people you have to talk to.

9. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
Swing away Jaoquin Phoenix, swing away. I really don’t know what advice to give for this years E3 since it is going to be so totally different, so I will just go with don’t start drinking before noon.

10. Describe what you anticipate from 2007’s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
I expect to ACTUALLY have time to actually play games this year – Nice!

128 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ MasterVictor on June 25th, 2007 at 6:26 pm said:

Kojima san next please if not anyone from the kill zone 2 team :)

+ darktorns on June 25th, 2007 at 6:26 pm said:

cant wait till E3… even tho im not invited since im working on our game, since we’re in santa monica, it should be very busy day… traffic…

+ DrPirate on June 25th, 2007 at 6:28 pm said:

Isn’t that one gorgeous screenshot.

If it looks like that, what a revolution in handheld action gaming.

+ Globox82 on June 25th, 2007 at 6:29 pm said:

@Patrik

I respect that you guys are accepting negative comments posted here. It shows that you care what fans think.
I don’t mind type of questions asked in this interview, it’s just that this interview seemed WAY, WAY to short and “empty” thus making it irrelevant.
Something longer and deeper about certain person that is giving interview would be much better and satisfying.

+ blizzard182 on June 25th, 2007 at 6:36 pm said:

@Globox82

I totally second that

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on June 25th, 2007 at 6:38 pm said:

lol …Almost as disappointing as the PS store updates.

+ joelface on June 25th, 2007 at 6:42 pm said:

i LOVE that im not the only one who wants to hear from Team Ico.

i REALLLLY hope Sony listens. :p

TEAM ICO! TEAM ICO!

:p

+ arias on June 25th, 2007 at 6:45 pm said:

I was looking forward to the interview for days and this is horrible. Why even bother with this sort of substandard content? This attempt is so bad, it’s almost hilarious.

Please fix up future interviews. Anymore like this and whatever “exclusives” to the blog you might have are worthless.

Also, make sure you guys have an exclusive dependable stream to Harrison’s E3 keynote on this blog.

+ BinhAlucard on June 25th, 2007 at 6:47 pm said:

GoW for PSP will rock. The screen shot looks amazing for the PSP game. Could this game have prompted Sony to up the PSP’s native 333MH? Whatever the case, can’t wait to play it.

+ holz55 on June 25th, 2007 at 6:49 pm said:

Just to get some more feedback for you guys:
-Great pick for the first interview. Cory is the man.
-Don’t limit their answers, haha. I feel like 5 words or less really doesn’t give them a chance to say anything, I bet Cory feels the same way.
-It would be great to get more questions relevant to the individual. “About how far along in development are you with GoW CoO?” “How is it taking the creative director role for this game?” “Is there anything you would like to tell your fans about GoW 3? (in 5 words or More)”

I think we want in depth things if possible. Sorry if that puts a huge slew of work for you to not only get the developers to agree to the little interview every weekday, but to also find relevant questions for each dev. You guys are really doing awesome responding to everyone’s concerns, and such. It’s all much appreciated. You’re going above and beyond IMO. Thanks!

oh, and sorry for probably saying the exact same thing as the 100 people before me, haha.

+ joelface on June 25th, 2007 at 7:49 pm said:

“Hey, i hope you read this patrick, or someone in charge.

this was a good start, but i think instead of forcussing on questions about E3, try asking developers questions about how they like to design games.

what types of genres they’d like to see explored better.

if cory barlog made a sports title, how would it be different from a regular sports game?

whats is an idea for a game he has, that probably wouldnt ever work, or that wouldnt work with current technology.

things like that would be SO interesting.

announcements for the PSP game will be good, but thats not what these interviews are for.

so, steer clear of the E3 stuff, and steer clear of the game announcements.. lets hear some questions about their creative ideas.

Thanks! (hope you read this!)”

when i made this comment, i didnt really realise that this was supposed to be an E3 edition.

i think the questions you asked are fine for now..

but i think my examples i made are ones you should consider asking in interviews at a later time.

i am definetly more interested in hearing game design ideas and concepts and techniques from the pros moreso than i am interested in hearing what you need to take to E3 with you. since unfortunately… i’ll never get to go myself.

+ Scarecrow on June 25th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

God Of War’s graphics deserve so much respect…

psp’s graphics are really pushed to the limit here…beautiful.

+ Korlithiel on June 25th, 2007 at 8:55 pm said:

Seems like an odd look into the developers, not many questions asked and yet some odd and almost useless info returned.

Maybe this website is supposed to be just for you to advertise…

+ Deathalo on June 26th, 2007 at 12:06 am said:

Interesting interview, E3 really has changed, but hopefully E4All will be even bigger and better than E3 was, and I actually get to go to that one. ^^

-DH

+ Zodiak on June 26th, 2007 at 7:35 am said:

lol great interview especially #3 nice job Cory :)

+ PBJ on June 26th, 2007 at 12:34 pm said:

Cory thanks for additional info – great job can’ t wait for God of War for PS3

+ jerrt on June 26th, 2007 at 12:39 pm said:

well, i liked it, even though it seems like everyone else didn’t

who says official blogs have ot be serious all of the time. this is the internet people….

+ Jaradakar on June 26th, 2007 at 6:49 pm said:

Hum this new playstation blog is interesting. Thanks for the comments PR Cory

+ Calleh on July 2nd, 2007 at 10:03 pm said:

I’ve worked in QA and in my opinion the ever returning issue with PSP releases is that the devs just force a bunch of effects, high detail textures and a redicilously high screen res. This resulting in the framerate dropping, sometimes as low as 7fps.

Hope this release will not have the same fps issue as so many other games (that the devs don’t even care about). The only reason I don’t own a PSP myself is that I don’t want to go buy games to experience them as I would playing DOOM3 on a 400mhz P2.

PAGE 1 2 3