Bloodborne

Firmware 1.82 Coming Soon…

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 26, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. [UPDATE: it’s available today]

Firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

562 Comments

PAGE 1 9 10 11 12

+ Korlithiel on June 29th, 2007 at 4:45 pm said:

Why is it that a firmware for the PS3 gets announced while the recent one for the PSP isn’t?

+ cooliopimp on June 29th, 2007 at 4:48 pm said:

This update keeps making alot of peoples PS3 sign out of the PSN randomly by itself. Can you fix this

+ coolgamer272 on June 29th, 2007 at 5:22 pm said:

yeah i get problems signing in too (8071-723) could you guys fix that?

+ stennex on June 29th, 2007 at 5:43 pm said:

The update 1.82 is said quote “Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected as the video output setting of the PS3™ system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded in 1080p or 1080i resolution can be played in 720p resolution to allow users to downscale to 720p. ”

This is Maddnesss. Hasnt Sony heard alot of our cries for an upcale for our televisions that only support 480i,480p, and 1080i. I mean after all this time this what they can offer .Reason why i am upset is because when they the xbox360 in on the 65inch HDtv i purchased it simply upscales the games to 1080i i just cannot understand why oh why Sony with everyone saying that the Graphic card is so powerful, does not allow the 720p games which seem to be only what developers are making upscale to 1080i. 1080p stuff scale down to 1080i so i cant complain there. But there is a number of us who invested in HDtvs when such tvs as the new Bravia line was not available and right now after investing in a PS3 we really cannot change any time soon. 65inch of no bliss. Please somone help me.

+ FasuXe on June 30th, 2007 at 8:38 am said:

@514 Well, I hope they come out with those routines real soon. Still disappointed that Sony hasn’t taken care of this themselves yet.

+ ozzyuno on June 30th, 2007 at 10:45 am said:

Since this update i get Disconnected very often please do somthing about it, im not the only one that this is happening to!! Thanks oz

+ MattAAron on June 30th, 2007 at 12:47 pm said:

Divx.

I don’t own a Playstation 3 yet (Waiting for GTAIV/UT3), but if Divx support got added, I would buy a PS3 this morning.

I would easily pay via Online for it… $5/$10 seems like a reasonable price, but I’ll be honest, I’d pay up to $100 for the support.

Please hear me out on this sentence, adding divx support would significantly increase PS3 sales, I guarentee it.

Sony, you’ve never disapointed me in ANY of my Sony products :)

+ FasuXe on June 30th, 2007 at 3:24 pm said:

@MattAAron
I second that. I think the sales would definitely go up. I wouldn’t pay $100 though. I’ve invested enough in this machine as it is. Maybe 10 or 20 bucks.

+ prollin on June 30th, 2007 at 3:44 pm said:

Hi,

First of all I think you guys are doing a great job at improving this system that already was better than my expectation.

I really like the “media center” features of the Playstation3 and I think this is what stand out from the competitors.

I was wondering if there was any plan to add native support for content providers like itunes, youtube or pandora. I guess itunes and youtube will be harder (Apple already have the Apple TV for that) but Pandora (www.pandora.com) or simply web radios would be a great improvement that would bring more content to the Playstation3.

Not sure it is the right place for such feedback and I really hope this will be heard :)

Keep up the good work

+ frito on June 30th, 2007 at 11:51 pm said:

When firmware update 1.8 first came out, that first day i could stream all my music to my PS3 from windows media player 11 from my Vista computer, but ever since then it can’t seem to find the files, although it still can find the folders..

in fact, i can still access songs through the playlists option, but only the songs/folders with actual .m3u playlists in them are accessable?!?!?

I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS FUNCTIONALITY WORK!!!!

i have tried re-searching for media servers to try and reset it, but it is always the same!

Why would it have worked the first day and not since?!?

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem also??

thanks

+ Terminator1421 on July 1st, 2007 at 10:57 am said:

This is great. Now all we need is the ability to select our own backgrounds like on the PSP.

+ Phospho on July 1st, 2007 at 5:31 pm said:

@528Frito

I am still experiencing the exact same thing except i have windows XP and wmp11. I hope they fix this soon. and whats funny is that my pictures and videos still work but my music doesnt. I REALLY HOPE THEY FIX THIS!

+ patsu on July 1st, 2007 at 5:55 pm said:

Yo Mr. Lempel ! I hear the latest Resistance problems was caused by server overload. Could you fix it asap ? We just bought a couple of exciting maps and would LOVE to kill something. Please Puuh-lease make sure we have tip-top onling gaming environment in the future. Feel free to forward our messages to your bosses and bosses’ bosses. This is really an early warning message regarding the Tsunami behind me. (Look behind). Ok… I gotta go. Don’t want to get caught in tons of fan complains. See you.

+ monkeypirate on July 2nd, 2007 at 4:14 am said:

Glad there’s some where to go to find out about updates… and on this note for my first post I thought I would add my opinion on what I think Sony need to do to kick some ass with the PS3 and PSP.

The ability to enter the XMB in game. ( I know this is in the works) but full access would be amazing. (going to the store etc.)
Support DIVX or XVID.
Letting us organise our music, movies and games in to our own folders.
Custom backgrounds. Images or video thumbnails or somet, would be nice.
Easier to understand media server stuff. Takes too long to look through all the folders to get to the music you want to listen to.
More PS2 support.
Make the store more user friendly, there’s been times I’ve pressed circle thinking it’s the back button only to ended up quitting the entire thing.
Update the internet browser to let us download videos etc straight of the net.
Get this blog launched as a global thing.
MORE DEMOS, I don’t care what, just hit me with some demo love!

Using a PSP as a controller, if your redesigning it (like “THEY” say you are) add another analogue stick and do some sexy slide buttons on the back for L2 and R2. (don’t know how your going do L3 and R3, or six-axis, I’ll leave that to you guys)

Add the function to attach the PSP via USB, and bam, let the ps3 then stream UMD movies from the PSP. (covers another corner) could be nice to even play PSP games.

On the PSP note, add in game XMB for that as well.

I would like to say if Sony can get some servers up and running which can guarantee me the ability to play any of my online games whenever I want, knowing that they’re not going be shut down in a year because not as many people play it anymore, I would pay for this service, ie Xbox live.

I know HOME’s going to cover a lot of things and even add stuff to the ps3 experience, just felt a rant was due.

Hope that all makes sense, liking the site guys.

Thanks

+ jlocker on July 2nd, 2007 at 5:57 am said:

Here is another idea, how about sending content to the iPhone over wifi from the PS3 or have some kind of interaction with the Apple iPhone. The PS3 could stream content to or receive from the device. You could also write a application that could be put on the iPhone to act like a bluetooth controller for the PS3.

+ aaquib on July 2nd, 2007 at 9:08 am said:

@jlocker

Sony has cell phones and PSP which they can have that kind of interactivity with.

+ chacal81 on July 2nd, 2007 at 9:59 am said:

We need 1.83 now. I wanna upscale those sorry excuses for a HD game running at 740p to 1080p that’s why I got the ps3. Developers have to be held accountable. I got a new 1080p tv + a PS3 on day one = DISAPPOINTED. 1080P should be standard for the ps3, right sony? Or was it false advertising?

+ iNagib on July 2nd, 2007 at 10:49 am said:

Yes! 100% agree with monkey pirate. The PS3 NEEDS Xvid/DivX Support.

+ frito on July 2nd, 2007 at 11:52 am said:

@Phospho-

regarding the Windows Media Player 11 streaming problems-

sorry you are having the same problems as I am trying to get the PS3 to read your music files, but at least I am not the only one!

*************************************************************

PLEASE SONY GUYS!!! WE NEED THE MEDIA SERVER FUNCTIONALITY TO WORK!!

******************************************************************

Help help us with getting this to work!

It’s such a cool feature, in fact part of the big hype about the PS3 as a “Home Media Hub Center” is dependant on this stuff actually working! I really would love to stream my music to my PS3 again!!!!

Right after update 1.8, it all worked great!!! But now my Vista computer can still send the same music files to an Xbox360, but not the PS3! That sucks!!!

I know you guys check these blogs out! Please help us with this!

thanks!

+ jlocker on July 2nd, 2007 at 12:09 pm said:

I would like to thank everyone who is pointing out the problems with video file formats. I am planning to get a DLNA box in a month or two and I think it is great that you are giving Sony what you think the system needs. I think that feedback to companies is very important for product improvement. I worked for Apple computer part time as a store sales support a couple of years ago and I would give Apple regular feed back on what needed to be improved after talking with old and new customers.
Giving you thoughts to Sony is not gripping it is constructive feedback on product improvement. How do yo know what customers want if you do not feedback to the company.

+ Alcahest on July 2nd, 2007 at 6:25 pm said:

!IMPORTANT! **BUG REPORT**

While the FULL RGB option now “sticks” in the XMB since 1.81, PS2 games video output is still either forced to YUV or RGB limited although the RGB is set to FULL on the PS3.

Basically with 1.81, everything (XMB, PS1, PS3 and BD/DVD movies) can be displayed in RGB (when BD/DVD is set to RGB too, of course) except PS2 games that are still output as YUV or RGB Limited, with no options to alter that.

This is annoying because when playing a PS2 game, the brightness is way too high and the image washed out.

Also it is annoying not to have the Upscale ratio type selection in the PS menu when playing PS2 games. Are we supposed to alter the setting every time in the XMB according to the game we want to play? Annoying. The option would be much better directly accessible from the PS menu.

So to sum-up, Sony please:
– Make an option to change the PS2 video output to RGB FULL.
– Add an option in the PS menu of PS2 games to alter the Upscale image ratio setting (like DVD movies have it)

Thanks!

+ picman on July 3rd, 2007 at 2:19 pm said:

5.1 and 7,1 Ch Audio support sure would be nice to have but how about support for a DLNA NAS hardware device to allow bypassing the need of the PC at all for streaming media!

+ duffjp on July 5th, 2007 at 4:52 am said:

How about adding support for the PS3 to be a Multi-Region DVD player. Sony obviously don’t have an issue with the conecpt as I can go to a Sony store and buy their DVD players Multi Region straight from the shop. This would be a great feature and remove the need for me to have another piece of kit under my TV.

Cheers,

Jon.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 5th, 2007 at 7:06 am said:

Off topic@

Well I came over something when talking to few newbies gamers, The Nintendo’s Wii is helping PS3 sales? Sound crazy, for me it was. Until I took time to see it. All Playstation fan-boys have got there PS3 and ones that are planing on it. With all this Wii crazy going on, newbies gamer want more. I think we all want more as gamers, they been talking about buying a PS3 to become a hardcore gamer.

So maybe in a year Wii gamers will buy PS3, sound bit odd. That how river of gaming seem to flow.

Fox

+ joel on July 5th, 2007 at 7:11 am said:

@fox

I myself was a nintendo gamer but never got a wii, not because you cant find it in certain stores,but because it wasnt hardcore. I myself owned only nintendo since I was 3. Starting out with the SNES and going on to the DS and Gamecube, but I didnt feel it had so many games, I never got a ps2, but bought a ps3, even though I was what you would say a nintendo fanboy. The ps3 is truly a remarkeble piece of work, wasnt expecting all theses new features, but I bought it for ps2 games, now it seems that I got more than I wanted.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 5th, 2007 at 7:36 am said:

@joel

Yea I was like that myself started on SNES, N64, Sega, PSone, PS2, GameCube, PSP, and PS3. I was going to get DS for StarFox game, but didn’t got for it. Only reason I got GC was for StarFox game ahh

But my true gaming started on 486sx Overdrive 40mhz :P Playing game called Outpost still play it today DOS base, but that wasn’t my first computer.

Sgi Personal IRIS 35 UNIX base, no game for that. You Sony guys remember UNIX? :P Thank AT&T for that one in 1969. As you know PS3 is Linux base so really it UNIX box, Linux is freeware of UNIX.

Fox

+ ammamm00 on July 6th, 2007 at 8:37 pm said:

Media Player 11 networked no problem and plays music files from my XP laptop OK. Video files are a different problem. Most standard resolution movies play OK in mpeg format. I used PS3convert to convert my MKV (1080p and 720p) files to MP4, but that plays very choppy on wireless network (54g). Plays a little better when linked by cable, but still choppy every few minutes. I wonder if 54n will make things better???
Also, x264 to h264 (mkv to mp4) conversion introduced “blocking” (squares of similar color in uniform background etc…) when played back on PS3 but not on laptop. Also, no control of picture quality and settings… (mplayer and vlc play ok on my yellow dog linux but resolution is VERY low).
So for the time being, my home media center is my good old XP laptop (AMD athlon 64). PS3 looks better than my laptop on my Samsung 1080p DLP TV so i can’t wait for PS3 to become compatible (why can’t you guys make a PS3 compatible compilation of VLC player???)

+ Nobbler on July 13th, 2007 at 3:39 pm said:

It would be nice to delete an ever increasing amount of names in the Friends folder.

+ toonrn on July 15th, 2007 at 8:40 pm said:

COME ON SONY!!! There are thousands of loyal gamers that still have HDTVs that only support 480i/p and 1080i. Some of those TVs are ones that your company sold. How about fixing the MAJOR problem of not being able to upscale 720p PS3 games to 1080i. You would not only sell more games and systems but you would make a lot of people happy. You might even Pi*s off MS since that is one thing they have been doing well while we are left complaining to you. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!

+ Dexter48 on July 21st, 2007 at 2:22 am said:

Hello!

I’ll mostly talk about PS3 firmware improvements that could be made by Sony :

PS3 game playing :

– Disable HDCP protection for games so that players can use any LCD screen to play.

Keep HDCP protection active for Blu-Ray movies

PS3 Hardware (if possible) :

– Power saving mode (reduced Cell clock fequencies) while browsing on XMB to reduce Power consuption.

PS3 XMB :

– Wallpaper change (already available on PSP)

Images :

– Bitmap support

Video playback features :

These features allow people to directly play most video files without have to re encode them or having to install Linux on the Hard Drive.

– Support .AVI encoded with x264 codec and MP3/OGG audio

– Support .AVI with XviD codec

Internet browser :

– Better site compatibility, I had issues checking my Yahoo Mail account, many things were not displayed

– New user interface when using a move/keyboard

European Playstation Network :