Far Cry 4

Firmware 1.82 Coming Soon…

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 26, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. [UPDATE: it’s available today]

Firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

562 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12

+ MasterCharged on June 26th, 2007 at 7:48 pm said:

thanks for the heads up. but when can we get custom backgrounds?

+ aphexacid on June 26th, 2007 at 7:50 pm said:

thats really cool. H254 playback is awesome to have. way to go guys, great job.

+ SkipDC83 on June 26th, 2007 at 7:52 pm said:

Keep the good news rolling this is a great blog.

+ sullyj on June 26th, 2007 at 7:52 pm said:

Thanks for the info.

+ raideb-snake on June 26th, 2007 at 7:57 pm said:

bring GAME XMB. Keep the good work

+ BulletToothTony on June 26th, 2007 at 7:58 pm said:

yeah.. i guess since they seem not to get the picture.. the one thing that everyone wants the most is to access the xmb while playing.. when can we expect this update???

why is there no word or sign of it.. beside the one of lempell sounding half nervous and almost sounding like he didn’t know what they were asking him..

+ homy on June 26th, 2007 at 7:59 pm said:

The japanese cat game (Toro) has in-game XMB access long time ago. It’s just a matter of how developers want to implement it.

+ Karamo on June 26th, 2007 at 8:00 pm said:

Thanx for the heads up. I hope you guys are going to redesign the PSN store, removing the pointer. but we do appreaciate your hard work for us

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on June 26th, 2007 at 8:01 pm said:

Add Xvid or Divx and no one will complain about video playback on the PS3 again…

+ Enforcer_X on June 26th, 2007 at 8:04 pm said:

Will we see support for 5.1 AAC and chaptered MP4 videos? Possibly 5.1 AAC decoded on the PS3 and sent over optical to the receiver. I assume we will if Sony plans to sell movies via the PSN. I wouldn’t pay a penny for a movie without 5.1 audio I don’t care if it is 1080p/24. I also agree with post 38 we do need more info on the profile for encoding.
Anyway keep up the great work any firmware update is a good firmware update … so far =)

+ tibbar110 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:05 pm said:

The only thing I am now looking for is 1080i/p upscaling for PS3 games.

+ AmericanNinja on June 26th, 2007 at 8:08 pm said:

Nice! Thanks for the update! :)

+ severeon on June 26th, 2007 at 8:10 pm said:

@ Eric L.

I have a very simple request, that would be very easy to implement. Is there anyway we could get a digital clock added to the ‘PS’ button screen.

+ severeon on June 26th, 2007 at 8:11 pm said:

P.S. Very nice job on keeping the system fresh!

+ Totao on June 26th, 2007 at 8:12 pm said:

I love the blog man you guys are doing a great job communicating to the consumer. I love the in-HOME messaging system right now. No hoving to get out of the game to see my messages its great.

+ SWANN on June 26th, 2007 at 8:14 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up about the next firmware update. I’m hoping that this a trend that will extend from the Firmware Updates to PSN downloadable games, to exclusives for the PS3 once their announced.

Keep up the good work, in the immortal words of the McDs commercials: “I’m lovin’ it.”

+ Talal on June 26th, 2007 at 8:14 pm said:

Thanks But No Thanks I Was Hoping To See Something Like v1.9 or v2.00

+ chase on June 26th, 2007 at 8:17 pm said:

speaking of that ps button that should fix it because i be in the middle of a game and touch it by accident and that quit sign they should put it where you have 2 double tap it to get the quit page do yall agree

+ prideless74 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:19 pm said:

You know what would be cool. The ability to turn off your PS3 with your PSP. Even cooler would be to be able to turn on your PS3 with your PSP. Then only would i use it its location free capability without having to leave my PS3 on all the time :)

+ Rockwallaby on June 26th, 2007 at 8:21 pm said:

Really is becoming a great blog.

I think I like most people are waiting for Xvid or Divx but yeah keep the updates coming.

+ Farhad91 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:22 pm said:

what?

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:23 pm said:

Eric is not playing son! Good job with the updates Mr. Lempel. I’m not sure if you read my last comment, but there seems to be an issue with the Linksys routers and file streaming. I have to disable the streaming playback because as soon as I turn my PS3 on, the router disconnects. I mean, everything is fine after it connects, but I find this really annoying. I know you heard this a million times, but I can’t wait for in-game XMB, and music playback. Bring on 2.0 baby!

Also, please give us something nice this week for the PSN store. I mean, I love most of the trailers, but it’s getting repetitive.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and I appreciate your (and you team’s) hard work.

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:25 pm said:

Man, this avatar will never show :(

+ Hylian Hero on June 26th, 2007 at 8:25 pm said:

I hope the ps2 software compatibility update fixes the problems I have had with the cinematics in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence…

+ stinkey on June 26th, 2007 at 8:25 pm said:

you guys are really pulling it together. This blog is amazing. Thank for the update

+ FreelancePolice on June 26th, 2007 at 8:25 pm said:

I only want two things from a regular update: XMB access in-game is basically a necessity. Perhaps when Home comes out games will be more synced and able to receive messages from all your games/main account, I don’t know, but for now not being able to check/send messages in-game is a big annoyance and a hindrance to communication.

Perhaps more importantly, the audio organizing features for music on your HDD need to be made to work on streamed media. Many cheaper or free streaming applications don’t organize music well or at all, and scrolling through my entire 1,000+ song iTunes library is so annoying that it breaks the whole streaming feature for me.

Speaking of Home, I really hope that it will allow you to automatically join a game’s server with a friend from outside the game, and I REALLY hope that this feature is available from the XMB. I don’t care if my friend is playing Motorstorm if I can’t join him!

+ chronotrigger on June 26th, 2007 at 8:28 pm said:

Wow this blog site is actually coming along really great, I’m really glad Sony did this, seems like now they will finally start listening to the fans more.

+ lyfestory on June 26th, 2007 at 8:29 pm said:

nice to see updates.. tho, still looking for the firmware update that will let us have wallpapers.. or customize the colors of the desktop/XMB…

and of course, custom soundtracks for games.. maybe not all games.. some games have amazing soundtracks and i wouldnt want to throw Avril or Rihanna in there and mess it up(Resistance comes to mind), but games like Ridge Racer and Need for Speed would do well to allow custom soundtracks.. any sport games/racing games are prime candidates for this ability.. i do hope this is a feature that will be considered/implemented sometime…

thanks for the great Blog…

+ Andee on June 26th, 2007 at 8:31 pm said:

As this seems as good a place as any to suggest a feature…

Any chance you could look at providing a 48hz/frames output for bluray? The reason I ask is that some tvs, specifically the Sony Bravia sxrd rptv I recently purchased, can accept a 48hz input but not 24.

I know there may be ‘business’ reasons to omit such a feature, but here in the UK/Europe, with sony having withdrawn from the rear projection tv market, we dont even have the option of ‘upgrading’ to the the new 120hz model due in the U.S this year. Many of us dont like lcd as a display technology and dont want to have buy another brand of plasma tv. Just though it also seemed a way of promoting/rewarding brand loyalty.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Cheers.

+ lain on June 26th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

This is simply great. Support for High Profile H.264 is what I was wanting for awhile.
Now I can dream about lossless format support (FLAC, WavPack or some other free lossless codec) for music playback, maybe some other container support other than MP4 (like MKV, which i prefer over MP4) for video playback and maybe also allowing support for LPCM audio to go with our H.264 encodes instead of just AAC.

+ Vysis on June 26th, 2007 at 8:39 pm said:

GREAT!

now just add in-game XMB and DivX Xvid support and ill be a very happy owner…

PS: can u tell us when we can expect future releases and more info on what you are currently doing?

+ Gekko87 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:42 pm said:

Sounds great. Will try it out as soon as we get it but I wonder if this is the only update we’re getting.

+ Lou Luster on June 26th, 2007 at 8:44 pm said:

Aww thats it though? But what about OGM’s and AVI’s? …but I guess on the other hand..SWEET! Now if we can get that custom wallpaper for our backgrounds soon.

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:44 pm said:

self.confessed.cynic | June 26th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

Fantastic work – giving info before people even ask you for it : )

I think what most people are asking for will be touched upon at E3 or TGS. In game music support, however, is already in the ps3 firmware, but its up to developers to support it (you cant force code to not process audio without significant overhead).

I’d assume 1st party Sony titles will start implementing this come their release.

Anyhow, keep up the fantastic work. (I can imagine its hard trying to keep on your feet and get all this news to us whilst still doing your job and only getting a “thanks!” for it…)

Hey Self, I wouldn’t say he only gets a thanks for his work. What Eric and Sony will get by listening to their customer is a good word of mouth, and brand loyalty. That equals to more sales, and a whole like of happy customers. Back to you Bob.

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 26th, 2007 at 8:46 pm said:

OK, who do I have to kill to get this avatar to show? LoL, for real though, do I have to add some type of HDML code? WTH? :(

+ scrawledinwax on June 26th, 2007 at 8:52 pm said:

Sounds great! As for the audio features you mentioned – FLAC and ATRAC Lossless support would be great.

+ JayFight on June 26th, 2007 at 8:55 pm said:

thanks for the heads up on the update and thanks for the updates as well but i would like to point out that the latest flash player does not work on the ps3’s web browser yet and so many sites use it already (including playstation.com) so if you guys read this then please fix that and other problems with the browser like the fact that you can’t send e-mails or do most anything on myspace to name a few things that i have found thanks for takeing the time to read this and keep up the good work

+ Psyvariar on June 26th, 2007 at 9:04 pm said:

Keep up the good work guys. Nice to have a place to go online where Sony platform gamers can get together, and can feel connected to the company we’re supporting. Impressed by the frequency of interesting official posts on this blog – I hope this continues and we see PS3/PSP/PS2 related topics appearing here daily.

+ TristanMike on June 26th, 2007 at 9:04 pm said:

Wow, this blog just keeps getting better and better.

Great work everyone ! :D

+ Junior J on June 26th, 2007 at 9:05 pm said:

woot…can’t wait for this. I just got a PS3 and can’t Wait!!

+ jaydogg691 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:10 pm said:

This cool, but I don’t know where I can get any videos of that format. Maybe there will be some videos of this format on the PS Store.

Cool, but we’re still waiting for In-Game XMB!

+ Tempest on June 26th, 2007 at 9:16 pm said:

Seeing the firmware evolve from I think what was 1.01 (?) when I first got the system, to 1.10, to 1.31 and now 1.81 has been neat to watch. 1.80 was a major leap forward despite the bug. It’s almost like a monthly lottery – “it’s almost month’s end folks; what are we going to get NOW?” I love it.

Keep the channels open to your people, Sony. This blog, as long as you’re reading it, will be the best conduit to building up the features of the PS3 firmware that you’ll will ever have. Keep up the great work!

+ umberto724 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:18 pm said:

I’ll add my two cents for updates I’d like to see in upcoming firmware updates…

1) Whenever friends and family visit, I like to have the photo slideshow playing. But everyone’s eyes roll when I tell them there’s no shuffle/random feature for the photo slideshow. There’s a shuffle/random feature for music, but not for photos. What’s up with that?

2) I like being able to now print photos directly to my Epson printer for friends and family, but it would also be great to have the option to email photos, and email multiple at that.

+ KevinP on June 26th, 2007 at 9:20 pm said:

We are still waitin for in game XMB..Make it happen please!!! Thanks for the constant update..you guys rule!!..

+ EVILEMPIRE951 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:22 pm said:

Thank yoU sonY for listening to US we appreciate this so much I would like to SAY can we get back wallpaper picture PLZZZ :-/ i bought ur ps3 @ launch and the background RIGHT now im not saying ITs sux but its boring see it evreyday since NOW can u plz get that in the works :-) thank you !

+ Starfleets on June 26th, 2007 at 9:22 pm said:

I think I can sum it all up in two words.

“Thank you”

+ Nathan Hale on June 26th, 2007 at 9:23 pm said:

I enjoyed the benefit of firmware updates. I especially loved upscale regular DVD into HD-quality. I played Advent Children DVD and looks superb. I just got Darkness and it is an awesome game!!

+ joesmokey on June 26th, 2007 at 9:28 pm said:

Great update. Any word on when we’ll be able to output surround sound in video files from the XMB? It would be great to hear the downloadable trailers in Dolby Digital as they should be.

+ Gavi on June 26th, 2007 at 9:29 pm said:

I’s just like to support severon and the digital clock showing when you press the PS button, I would have thought that was a no-brainer. Come on Sony, it can’t be too hard to implement. Let’s have that feature too, may as well throw the date up there at the same time whilst you’re at it. Oh, and I’ll still keeping reminding you in case you forgot, in-game XMB access, ok?

+ TheApprentice on June 26th, 2007 at 9:30 pm said:

Love the new playback support…

But I really would like to see .AVI playable on the PS3…

Also .WMV

Also for music files..Please can we have 3 speed fast forwarding and rewinding, like on the PSP???
(Surely the PS3 is capable of that right? :P )

PAGE 1 2 3 4 11