PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Jun 26

Jun 26

Firmware 1.82 Coming Soon…

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. [UPDATE: it’s available today]

Firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12

west said:

June 26th, 7:44 pm

I want In-game xmb with custom soundtracks like everyone else. From the looks of now custom soundtracks is up to the developer and that sucks because they really don’t care about it. You guys should make it default so that the devs have to have there music turn off when we use ours from the in-game xmb menu. The other console does it so why cant we have it?

phrozen1one said:

June 26th, 7:47 pm

Not quite Xvid or Divx but were getting there come on raise the value of my PS3 thanks…..

MasterCharged said:

June 26th, 7:48 pm

thanks for the heads up. but when can we get custom backgrounds?

aphexacid said:

June 26th, 7:50 pm

thats really cool. H254 playback is awesome to have. way to go guys, great job.

SkipDC83 said:

June 26th, 7:52 pm

Keep the good news rolling this is a great blog.

sullyj said:

June 26th, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info.

raideb-snake said:

June 26th, 7:57 pm

bring GAME XMB. Keep the good work

BulletToothTony said:

June 26th, 7:58 pm

yeah.. i guess since they seem not to get the picture.. the one thing that everyone wants the most is to access the xmb while playing.. when can we expect this update???

why is there no word or sign of it.. beside the one of lempell sounding half nervous and almost sounding like he didn’t know what they were asking him..

homy said:

June 26th, 7:59 pm

The japanese cat game (Toro) has in-game XMB access long time ago. It’s just a matter of how developers want to implement it.

Karamo said:

June 26th, 8:00 pm

Thanx for the heads up. I hope you guys are going to redesign the PSN store, removing the pointer. but we do appreaciate your hard work for us

Kratos_ate_Snake said:

June 26th, 8:01 pm

Add Xvid or Divx and no one will complain about video playback on the PS3 again…

Enforcer_X said:

June 26th, 8:04 pm

Will we see support for 5.1 AAC and chaptered MP4 videos? Possibly 5.1 AAC decoded on the PS3 and sent over optical to the receiver. I assume we will if Sony plans to sell movies via the PSN. I wouldn’t pay a penny for a movie without 5.1 audio I don’t care if it is 1080p/24. I also agree with post 38 we do need more info on the profile for encoding.
Anyway keep up the great work any firmware update is a good firmware update … so far =)

tibbar110 said:

June 26th, 8:05 pm

The only thing I am now looking for is 1080i/p upscaling for PS3 games.

AmericanNinja said:

June 26th, 8:08 pm

Nice! Thanks for the update! :)

severeon said:

June 26th, 8:10 pm

@ Eric L.

I have a very simple request, that would be very easy to implement. Is there anyway we could get a digital clock added to the ‘PS’ button screen.

severeon said:

June 26th, 8:11 pm

P.S. Very nice job on keeping the system fresh!

Totao said:

June 26th, 8:12 pm

I love the blog man you guys are doing a great job communicating to the consumer. I love the in-HOME messaging system right now. No hoving to get out of the game to see my messages its great.

SWANN said:

June 26th, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the next firmware update. I’m hoping that this a trend that will extend from the Firmware Updates to PSN downloadable games, to exclusives for the PS3 once their announced.

Keep up the good work, in the immortal words of the McDs commercials: “I’m lovin’ it.”

Talal said:

June 26th, 8:14 pm

Thanks But No Thanks I Was Hoping To See Something Like v1.9 or v2.00

chase said:

June 26th, 8:17 pm

speaking of that ps button that should fix it because i be in the middle of a game and touch it by accident and that quit sign they should put it where you have 2 double tap it to get the quit page do yall agree

prideless74 said:

June 26th, 8:19 pm

You know what would be cool. The ability to turn off your PS3 with your PSP. Even cooler would be to be able to turn on your PS3 with your PSP. Then only would i use it its location free capability without having to leave my PS3 on all the time :)

[…] Via Playstation.Blog […]

Rockwallaby said:

June 26th, 8:21 pm

Really is becoming a great blog.

I think I like most people are waiting for Xvid or Divx but yeah keep the updates coming.

Farhad91 said:

June 26th, 8:22 pm

what?

Keysersoze10033 said:

June 26th, 8:23 pm

Eric is not playing son! Good job with the updates Mr. Lempel. I’m not sure if you read my last comment, but there seems to be an issue with the Linksys routers and file streaming. I have to disable the streaming playback because as soon as I turn my PS3 on, the router disconnects. I mean, everything is fine after it connects, but I find this really annoying. I know you heard this a million times, but I can’t wait for in-game XMB, and music playback. Bring on 2.0 baby!

Also, please give us something nice this week for the PSN store. I mean, I love most of the trailers, but it’s getting repetitive.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and I appreciate your (and you team’s) hard work.

Keysersoze10033 said:

June 26th, 8:25 pm

Man, this avatar will never show :(

Hylian Hero said:

June 26th, 8:25 pm

I hope the ps2 software compatibility update fixes the problems I have had with the cinematics in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence…

stinkey said:

June 26th, 8:25 pm

you guys are really pulling it together. This blog is amazing. Thank for the update

FreelancePolice said:

June 26th, 8:25 pm

I only want two things from a regular update: XMB access in-game is basically a necessity. Perhaps when Home comes out games will be more synced and able to receive messages from all your games/main account, I don’t know, but for now not being able to check/send messages in-game is a big annoyance and a hindrance to communication.

Perhaps more importantly, the audio organizing features for music on your HDD need to be made to work on streamed media. Many cheaper or free streaming applications don’t organize music well or at all, and scrolling through my entire 1,000+ song iTunes library is so annoying that it breaks the whole streaming feature for me.

Speaking of Home, I really hope that it will allow you to automatically join a game’s server with a friend from outside the game, and I REALLY hope that this feature is available from the XMB. I don’t care if my friend is playing Motorstorm if I can’t join him!

chronotrigger said:

June 26th, 8:28 pm

Wow this blog site is actually coming along really great, I’m really glad Sony did this, seems like now they will finally start listening to the fans more.

lyfestory said:

June 26th, 8:29 pm

nice to see updates.. tho, still looking for the firmware update that will let us have wallpapers.. or customize the colors of the desktop/XMB…

and of course, custom soundtracks for games.. maybe not all games.. some games have amazing soundtracks and i wouldnt want to throw Avril or Rihanna in there and mess it up(Resistance comes to mind), but games like Ridge Racer and Need for Speed would do well to allow custom soundtracks.. any sport games/racing games are prime candidates for this ability.. i do hope this is a feature that will be considered/implemented sometime…

thanks for the great Blog…

[…] [Source] […]

Andee said:

June 26th, 8:31 pm

As this seems as good a place as any to suggest a feature…

Any chance you could look at providing a 48hz/frames output for bluray? The reason I ask is that some tvs, specifically the Sony Bravia sxrd rptv I recently purchased, can accept a 48hz input but not 24.

I know there may be ‘business’ reasons to omit such a feature, but here in the UK/Europe, with sony having withdrawn from the rear projection tv market, we dont even have the option of ‘upgrading’ to the the new 120hz model due in the U.S this year. Many of us dont like lcd as a display technology and dont want to have buy another brand of plasma tv. Just though it also seemed a way of promoting/rewarding brand loyalty.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Cheers.

[…] PlayStation.Blog informs us that within the next few days we should be receiving firmware version 1.82 for the PlayStation 3. In terms of the new content, Sony’s Director of the PlayStation Network, Eric Lempel says it best: Firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. […]

lain said:

June 26th, 8:33 pm

This is simply great. Support for High Profile H.264 is what I was wanting for awhile.
Now I can dream about lossless format support (FLAC, WavPack or some other free lossless codec) for music playback, maybe some other container support other than MP4 (like MKV, which i prefer over MP4) for video playback and maybe also allowing support for LPCM audio to go with our H.264 encodes instead of just AAC.

Vysis said:

June 26th, 8:39 pm

GREAT!

now just add in-game XMB and DivX Xvid support and ill be a very happy owner…

PS: can u tell us when we can expect future releases and more info on what you are currently doing?

Gekko87 said:

June 26th, 8:42 pm

Sounds great. Will try it out as soon as we get it but I wonder if this is the only update we’re getting.

Lou Luster said:

June 26th, 8:44 pm

Aww thats it though? But what about OGM’s and AVI’s? …but I guess on the other hand..SWEET! Now if we can get that custom wallpaper for our backgrounds soon.

Keysersoze10033 said:

June 26th, 8:44 pm

self.confessed.cynic | June 26th, 2007 at 7:27 pm

Fantastic work – giving info before people even ask you for it : )

I think what most people are asking for will be touched upon at E3 or TGS. In game music support, however, is already in the ps3 firmware, but its up to developers to support it (you cant force code to not process audio without significant overhead).

I’d assume 1st party Sony titles will start implementing this come their release.

Anyhow, keep up the fantastic work. (I can imagine its hard trying to keep on your feet and get all this news to us whilst still doing your job and only getting a “thanks!” for it…)

Hey Self, I wouldn’t say he only gets a thanks for his work. What Eric and Sony will get by listening to their customer is a good word of mouth, and brand loyalty. That equals to more sales, and a whole like of happy customers. Back to you Bob.

Keysersoze10033 said:

June 26th, 8:46 pm

OK, who do I have to kill to get this avatar to show? LoL, for real though, do I have to add some type of HDML code? WTH? :(

scrawledinwax said:

June 26th, 8:52 pm

Sounds great! As for the audio features you mentioned – FLAC and ATRAC Lossless support would be great.

JayFight said:

June 26th, 8:55 pm

thanks for the heads up on the update and thanks for the updates as well but i would like to point out that the latest flash player does not work on the ps3’s web browser yet and so many sites use it already (including playstation.com) so if you guys read this then please fix that and other problems with the browser like the fact that you can’t send e-mails or do most anything on myspace to name a few things that i have found thanks for takeing the time to read this and keep up the good work

Psyvariar said:

June 26th, 9:04 pm

Keep up the good work guys. Nice to have a place to go online where Sony platform gamers can get together, and can feel connected to the company we’re supporting. Impressed by the frequency of interesting official posts on this blog – I hope this continues and we see PS3/PSP/PS2 related topics appearing here daily.

TristanMike said:

June 26th, 9:04 pm

Wow, this blog just keeps getting better and better.

Great work everyone ! :D

Junior J said:

June 26th, 9:05 pm

woot…can’t wait for this. I just got a PS3 and can’t Wait!!

jaydogg691 said:

June 26th, 9:10 pm

This cool, but I don’t know where I can get any videos of that format. Maybe there will be some videos of this format on the PS Store.

Cool, but we’re still waiting for In-Game XMB!

Tempest said:

June 26th, 9:16 pm

Seeing the firmware evolve from I think what was 1.01 (?) when I first got the system, to 1.10, to 1.31 and now 1.81 has been neat to watch. 1.80 was a major leap forward despite the bug. It’s almost like a monthly lottery – “it’s almost month’s end folks; what are we going to get NOW?” I love it.

Keep the channels open to your people, Sony. This blog, as long as you’re reading it, will be the best conduit to building up the features of the PS3 firmware that you’ll will ever have. Keep up the great work!

umberto724 said:

June 26th, 9:18 pm

I’ll add my two cents for updates I’d like to see in upcoming firmware updates…

1) Whenever friends and family visit, I like to have the photo slideshow playing. But everyone’s eyes roll when I tell them there’s no shuffle/random feature for the photo slideshow. There’s a shuffle/random feature for music, but not for photos. What’s up with that?

2) I like being able to now print photos directly to my Epson printer for friends and family, but it would also be great to have the option to email photos, and email multiple at that.

KevinP said:

June 26th, 9:20 pm

We are still waitin for in game XMB..Make it happen please!!! Thanks for the constant update..you guys rule!!..

EVILEMPIRE951 said:

June 26th, 9:22 pm

Thank yoU sonY for listening to US we appreciate this so much I would like to SAY can we get back wallpaper picture PLZZZ :-/ i bought ur ps3 @ launch and the background RIGHT now im not saying ITs sux but its boring see it evreyday since NOW can u plz get that in the works :-) thank you !

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12