PS4-Infamous

Firmware 1.82 Coming Soon…

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 26, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hey everyone, you told us you wanted to hear about updates a few days in advance, so here’s a quick heads up that we have a PS3 firmware update in the works. [UPDATE: it's available today]

Firmware 1.82 is an update that enables the playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) files. As most of you know, these are high quality files that you’ll now be able to play on your PS3. Hopefully this update is moving us closer to the audio playback features many of you commented about in my post the other week. We’re continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility. Thanks for all of your support and feedback, keep it coming!

562 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12

+ theflux on June 26th, 2007 at 9:31 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up, this is what I like to see.

+ derrickgott007 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:31 pm said:

There is a problem with PS2 games played on the PS3 that use the Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel….

Please look into this….The affected games are TOCA3, and NASCAR 07 (both US versions).

+ DarkKing on June 26th, 2007 at 9:32 pm said:

Eric, no offense, but no body gives a [DELETED] about this. I am asking you to please make a post CONFIRMING DIRECTLY that we will see IN-GAME XMB (WITH MUSIC, PHOTOS AND FRIENDS) when we hit the Home button in any PS3 game. THAT IS ALL ANYONE WANTS. WHY AREN’T ANY OF YOU PEOPLE LISTENING?!? It seems like this blog is more to just give the ILLUSION that you’re all listening, but truth be told, WE REALLY don’t think so. You’re not fooling ANYONE.

+ coolguy2000 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:33 pm said:

@Gavi

I agree, the PSP can display the time and date, why can’t the PS3? It doesn’t even have to be on the XMB. Just make it so all we have to do is press the PS button.

+ DarkKing on June 26th, 2007 at 9:33 pm said:

Eric, no offense, but no body gives a crap about this. I am asking you to please make a post CONFIRMING DIRECTLY that we will see IN-GAME XMB (WITH MUSIC, PHOTOS AND FRIENDS) when we hit the Home button in any PS3 game. THAT IS ALL ANYONE WANTS. WHY AREN’T ANY OF YOU PEOPLE LISTENING?!? It seems like this blog is more to just give the ILLUSION that you’re all listening, but truth be told, WE REALLY don’t think so. You’re not fooling ANYONE.

+ self.confessed.cynic on June 26th, 2007 at 9:34 pm said:

@ Keysersoze10033

Yo, yes, I do agree that word of mouth generated from this is a fantastic thing, but in general, you cant SEE word of mouth, and it doesn’t appear in your pay check either – all he ever sees is “thanks” (and a whole lot of whining) , so I was stating how I really respect him for the continuing effort.

But you’re right.

As for the avatar, you go to that avatar site they send you when you sign up (in the email), make an account with the email you used here, upload your avatar, then (important) select that avatar for use (after you upload, it doesn’t auto-select the avatar, you have to do it yourself).

Then just wait a couple of hours and it starts working (something to do with how often these avatar enabled sites check for updates from the main server).

- hope that helps.

+ Gavi on June 26th, 2007 at 9:37 pm said:

@coolguy2000, if we continue on down that path, then we would could ask Sony about the custom backgrounds and RSS channels, where are they too? I would have thought that custom backgrounds would have been in there from the beginning. I’d like to think 2.0 will bring them to us right Sony? Are we going to hear anything at E3 about the upcoming firmware upgrades?

+ zinmaster on June 26th, 2007 at 9:41 pm said:

Once again, I feel cheated. Yet, another firmware update and another let down. My other next generation console upscales 720p games on my 480p/1080i TV. The PS3 still does not. I will indeed be buying a new Widescreen HD TV (Savings halfway there – will be spending $3,000) next year. However, should I buy a Sony TV. I have purchased many Sony products due to quality. Yet, this downscaling issue is a big sticky point for me and other early HD TV adopters. I thought the PS3 was the superior of the next gen. consoles. When my friends were buying new consoles I recommended the PS3 over the other console. They indeed purchased the PS3 based on my recommendation. Yes, all three of us were early HD TV adopters and have this problem. Sony please don’t let us down. I have been patient.

+ joel on June 26th, 2007 at 9:50 pm said:

@sinmaster

dunno why people but @ there…lol..but you dont have to say “ur other console” everyone knows ur talking about the 360 its a nice console with IN GAME ACCESABILITY TO MUSIC, whcih hopefully the ps3 would have this year,”hopefully someone at sony heard me” I have a ps3 its great just wating for those big games coming.

+ bigjimindc on June 26th, 2007 at 9:51 pm said:

Love the idea of High Profile AVC/MP4 files! I’m with the whole lot of folks wanting to use my PS3 as my media center. It was somewhat disheartening finding out, sadly through lots of trial and error, exactly what MP4 video formats worked for the PS3. And then to realize that the 5.1 support simply didn’t exist.

Overall, I love my PS3, and the current media center abilities of it. From a video point of view, it will be complete when the MP4 functionality supports 5.1 and DTS audio tracks, along with chapter navigation. I will then be able to finally put my 7 year old 300 disc DVD changer up on eBay!

Thanks guys for all the great work and keep it up, as we all love what you’re doing!

+ kenji on June 26th, 2007 at 9:51 pm said:

Any chance we could get wallpapers in this firmware update?

+ FoomMan on June 26th, 2007 at 9:53 pm said:

I’d like to see wallpapers, a clock, the 3 speed fast forward (which I REALLY need sometimes with podcasts) and the in game XMB.

Also, could be see the GT HD game get in game music? I understand that its on a game to game basis right now, but that would really make me happy.

+ severeon on June 26th, 2007 at 9:54 pm said:

@Gavi

WE NEED CLOCK! WE NEED CLOCK!

J/K; Its just a small thing I’ve been asking for on everyone of the ‘What do you want in the next firmware update’ threads on the PSU boards.

+ mik3yl3 on June 26th, 2007 at 9:56 pm said:

what are the chances of AVI playback?

+ T1TN on June 26th, 2007 at 9:59 pm said:

good update for the audiophiles, but what about PS2 backwards compatibility, i’m european and some PS2 games are horrible to play, when can we expect a good B.C. update?

+ Herby on June 26th, 2007 at 10:01 pm said:

I love the pre-update posts. They are great. Thank you very much Eric.

The addition of the new video format support is awesome. I can’t wait to try it out.

Since you taking suggestions for future firmware updates. I agree with what everybody else wants for future fw updates. I am not going to repeat it because it has been said a million times.

One feature that I would like and should be simple to implement is:

I love sending High-Res pictures to my friends on PSN. And they love receiving them. When I first started sending them I would right detailed titles and Comments with image credits included. I do not know how I found out but my friends where not receiving the pictures with comments or titles that I wrote included. The pictures sent have the title changed and no comments. They loose all identifying info. So can you allow us to send pics through the PSN with this info intact.

+ bigjimindc on June 26th, 2007 at 10:01 pm said:

On a different note though, I’m with zinmaster in not being thrilled with having to play 720p games down-scaled to 480p because my 6 year old SONY HDTV doesn’t support 720p and my 6 month old PS3 doesn’t upscale all games to 1080i/p like my brother’s XBox360 does. And I’m not buying another $3000 tv just to play video games. Truth be told, aside from Motorstorm that I just had to own, I have a really hard time parting with $60 to play a game that IMHO doesn’t look that much better than what was on my PS2 at 480i. Now Ridge Racer in 1080i, that’s what I expect out of every game on my PS3!

And as a parting thought, just to get a couple more of my cents out there to the guys and gals at Sony that are obviously reading this blog… the price of BlueRay discs is simply outrageous. I’ll tell you right now, if they cost the $15, or better yet, the $12 during the first week of release at Best Buy and company, like the vast majority of the 350+ DVD’s I own did, I’d already have bought a dozen or more BRD’s, but $25-$30 a disc will never happen on my dime. Sorry guys… :(

+ reesimo on June 26th, 2007 at 10:01 pm said:

Curse you Sony! I was eating ice cream when I saw the words ‘Firmware Update’. I choked and almost threw up. You guys have been on a roll with this Blog. Thanks so much for opening up. 2.0 is so close. It had better be worth it guys…
P.S.
Please tell Mr. Kutaragi that we still love and miss him. And let’s not forget that were it not for his vision, Sony and the entire gaming scene would be VERY different.

+ Thaylin on June 26th, 2007 at 10:06 pm said:

Fantastic.

+ KEFIOX on June 26th, 2007 at 10:07 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up, I like hearing about these early, so I have something to expect, just try not to crush my hopes by lying ;)

+ sneakattack28 on June 26th, 2007 at 10:12 pm said:

k kinda pointless update but better than nothin. at least put a big demo next week

+ dbarrade on June 26th, 2007 at 10:18 pm said:

Thanks for the updates!

Please add binding Bluetooth Keyboard keys and Mouse Buttons to SIXAXIS buttons so we can use the Web Browser without having to keep jumping from the Keyboard to the SIXAXIS and back…

People may like to use keyboard and mouse in games too…

+ Shadow_Dancer on June 26th, 2007 at 10:20 pm said:

Just to clarify. Is this next firmware update actually going to add more PS2 B/C? Or just improve playback? I have an PAL PS2 and only have these 6 games left that don’t work. Thanks!!

Manhunt
Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy
Silent Hill 3
Onimusha
Onimusha 2
Hitman: Blood Money

+ AndrewW on June 26th, 2007 at 10:21 pm said:

Can we please have a reply regarding a “forced on” option for 1080p24 ?

This is a serious issue for many people, and I would assume that it would be very simple to implement.

+ Cool on June 26th, 2007 at 10:22 pm said:

AWESOME

+ AndrewW on June 26th, 2007 at 10:22 pm said:

Can we please have an official response regarding a “forced on” option for 1080p24 ?

This is a serious issue for many people, and would appear to be a very simple solution.

+ ace2ace on June 26th, 2007 at 10:28 pm said:

can’t wait for it… can we get some sort of cool video or demo though next week since this isn’t really a major update?

+ severeon on June 26th, 2007 at 10:29 pm said:

@dbarrade

That would give the playstation 3 something VERY unique, and access to a WHOLE slew of new gamers; awesome idea.

+ dbarrade on June 26th, 2007 at 10:32 pm said:

thanks severeon…

My other idea is getting Sony to put multiple XBox 360 ports on one Blu Ray so there is some differentation and people realise how big Blu Ray actually is…

Imagine all of the EA ’06 games on 1 Blu Ray as a cheaper bundle!

+ sectionz on June 26th, 2007 at 10:35 pm said:

divx + xvid support … this would MURDER the xbox media support INSTANTLY!

+ sectionz on June 26th, 2007 at 10:36 pm said:

divx + xvid support … this would MURDER the xbox media support INSTANTLY! yep Instantly.

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 26th, 2007 at 10:48 pm said:

@ Keysersoze10033

Hey Self,

True, but you need to keep in mind that if more PS3′s are sold because of the word of mouth, good publicity, and consumer support, then our friend Mr. Lampel will get a nice raise on his evaluation ;). I sure hope that’s how Sony works. That way Eric will hook us up with the 2.0 ASAP, I mean, that will motivate me :D.

Thanks for the Avatar help, I guess I have to wait for this site to get updated.

+ h.P.P.Y.s on June 26th, 2007 at 10:50 pm said:

Not bad..

+ Xeero on June 26th, 2007 at 10:53 pm said:

Nice to hear you guys are adding more media support! This makes me curious though. A /lot/ of people are using formats like divx, xvid, and .mkv for downloadable media as well. Will Sony be adding support for these to the PS3′s firmware in the future?

+ xplosneer on June 26th, 2007 at 10:54 pm said:

Thanks guys. I know it’s small but you’re announcing which tells me something good. Keep it coming!

+ Fnords on June 26th, 2007 at 10:57 pm said:

In game XMB, backgrounds, custom sound tracks, in game voice com, clock, faster browser. Those are things that we want.

Still nice that you keep us posted.

+ Omen_20 on June 26th, 2007 at 11:01 pm said:

Wow so cool to tell us about an upcoming update. Its a smart move because early adopters are into the hardware. I look forward to firmware updates like its a game release. The PSP has been so enjoyable because of it.

Do you guys think you could devote one update to just easier use on the XMB. One thing I can think of is the Sort feature. When your picking a picture to use for a folder icon (like an Album cover) it sucks having to scroll through all the hundreds of photos on your HDD. Adding in the sort function there would be so much better as I could quickly jump to the bottom that way.

Anyways keep the updates and blog entries coming!

+ Juganawt on June 26th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

You know what I’d really love to see in the next update???

SOME DECENT GAMES THAT’LL STOP MY PS3 FROM GATHERING DUST UNDER MY 360!

I don’t really care about what video codec you bolster on in an otherwise worthless update (unless it’s divx – which I doubt will ever officially happen, precisely for the exact same reason why I’d like to see it).

Please spend your resources on the important stuff, like getting some decent games out on the shelves and in the PS Store. I haven’t even switched on my PS3 since I finished VF5 and Resistance, purely because there’s no single decent title worth buying that I can’t already get on my 360.

+ msd on June 26th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

In the next update, can you please add support for movies created with Canon digital cameras?

The movies’ format is reported as MJPEG, which is correct, but the PS3 is unable to play them.

I have read that the PS3 already supports MJPEG, so perhaps the Canon format is different in some way (or maybe the PS3 only has partial support). Canon sells a lot of digital cameras though, so support for this movie format should be a priority.

+ DarkKing on June 26th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

INGAME XMB!! JESUS CHRIST.

+ StormLord on June 26th, 2007 at 11:22 pm said:

great news! thank you for informing us in advance of the firmware update, I hope this trend continues. Also, thanks for the updates so quickly (unlike other consoles updates). we appreciate the added functionality added in each update.

+ thekudosman on June 26th, 2007 at 11:23 pm said:

I would like to second what everybody else on the message boards have echoed. I would gladly pay for an Xvid or divx codec pack for the PS3 if it was sold over the PS Store. Me and probably millions of others would pay for that codec pack, that is unless you decided to give it away for free… But anyhow, keep up the good work, I love the fact that the system is getting updates, and last but not least, I hope that firmware v2.00 is actually true. Thanx!

+ x64Man on June 26th, 2007 at 11:25 pm said:

Ability to force 1080p24 to “ON”.

+ rednibia on June 26th, 2007 at 11:33 pm said:

While you’re doing little video related updates, why not throw in a change so when you’re playing ps1/ps2 games in widescreen it maximizes to fill an entire 16:9 screen instead of leaving black bars on all sides?

+ Thomas_ on June 26th, 2007 at 11:38 pm said:

I have seen some improvements in the PS3 operating System recently. But in my view there is a long way to go to become a real all-in-one Multimedia System. Here a some points:

- DTS CD does not work, only static noise
- Lots of the old MPEG1/VCD files don’t work
- MP3 DVD (original!) does not work
- The handling is sometimes to complex, try playing MP3 music while watching your fotos
I now many people who don’t work with it, simply because they don’t now how. You have to press the option-button alle the time. Why not showing the available options when the focus is on an object?
- The browser is difficult to handle and below standard. Try entering a long URL or browsing complex websites . Sorry but you have to compete with Firefox.
- Where is the email client?
- Working with fotos is easier with 1.8 but why is it no possible to create my own folders? E.G. my vacation jpgs are now mixed with other fotos because they were all taken in june.
- The printer option is a nice feature, but why do you release it with only a handful of Epson printers? 100 printer models from the 5 big manufacturers would be good.
- A screenshot utility would be great.
- The store is a nice feature. But why is it not possible to move the cursor from top of the screen to bottom by moving up, so the cursor reappears on the bottom. It takes very long to cross these windows with scrollbars. Why don`t you have a trailer for every available Blu-Ray in the store?

I hope that someone reads this :)

+ seamonkey420 on June 26th, 2007 at 11:40 pm said:

now if only we could get some WMV video support.. i have a ton of my own personal HD WMV video i’d love to actually see in its 720p glory!

nonetheless good to see more video/audio formats being added! keep it up!

+ Finalsquall on June 26th, 2007 at 11:43 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up. I love the work. I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask for things. But I would like to see oneday for the psn, the ability to use the L1 and R1 Buttons to toggle thru the previous page. I find it very slow and a little annoying that we have to move the curser to the actual previous button. It’s only annoying due to the fact that most ps programs use the shoulder buttons.

anyways, Love the blog and love updates… keep em coming :D

+ balliinn on June 26th, 2007 at 11:59 pm said:

Sony, please have support for .mkv, divx, and xvid! I think somebody above mentioned paying for this? yea, I’d pay for it just to have the ultimate media/game system!

p.s. don’t be lame like Microsoft and charge us for online play.

p.s.s. keep up the good work ^__^

+ west on June 26th, 2007 at 11:59 pm said:

We need ingame xmb/custom soundtracks so bad. It would really be a good replacement since my 360 is all ****** up. The XMB access in HOME is only during HOME and not during GAME PLAY. We need ingame xmb/custom soundtracks in every game feature because M$ gets 2500 360s a day for repair and the people fed up with it would see ps3 as a great alternative with a next gen player and same features.

+ SonnyJim on June 27th, 2007 at 12:00 am said:

Fantastic! awesome job. keep the updates coming.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 11