LittleBigPlanet 3

Inside the Developers Studio: Felice Standifer

Felice Standifer's Avatar + Posted by Felice Standifer on Jun 28, 2007 // Sr. US Producer for MotorStorm

1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
The Eye of Judgment

2. Tell us more about your game. What’s the story? What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
First, it uses the next-generation USB camera for PS3, the PlayStation Eye. We’ve combined the camera and real, collectable trading cards, created by Hasbro and its Wizards of the Coast (WotC) subsidiary, to create a completely new concept in trading card games. As you know, Hasbro and WotC are known for the development of Magic: The Gathering, so we’re bringing that heritage to PS3. It is a key component and adds a third dimension to the trading card game genre by materializing animated 3D creatures on screen.

The Eye of Judgment is a tough game to describe, but really a fun game to play, as it is a whole new means of interaction within the trading card genre of games. The cards are embedded with a Cybercode that only PlayStation Eye can read, and once you lay them down on the battle mat the characters come to live and battle in really cool animations on the screen. One major benefit of playing this type of game on PS3 is that you don’t have to count all of the gaming components up when you play your cards; the PS3 does it for you and gives you visual prompts such as when to remove a card or how many cards you should have in your hand.

3. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?
The coolest aspect of the game is the utilization of the PLAYSTATION Network to play others online. We are focused on a global launch of this title, so you can challenge players from all over the world, it’s really exciting.

I also like watching the card image come to life and battle against the other creatures. It takes a little bit to learn, but once you do, it is a blast. There will be over 100 different cards available with the booster packs, so you never know what creature is going to be coming at you. You’ll soon know what I mean when I say my Infernal Sciondar Dragon crushed your Verzar Foot Soldier!

4. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Buzz!……”Party Time”, I’ll probably get most of the answers wrong, but its lots of fun to play with your friends. It’s my kind of game to just sit back and have a good time with, but it brings out my competitive side!

5. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
Let’s just say I’ve been there since E3 started and before that I was working the Sony booth at CES.

6. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Breeze, cake walk, relaxing..HA!!!

7. Most over used phrase or expression during E3 season.
This title or that title is the Game of the Year!

8. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
Energy Bar, water and a masseuse. If not a masseuse. I always have Advil in my pocket during the show as well.

9. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
Wear comfortable shoes and get as much rest as possible before E3 starts, because once it’s going it’s non-stop for 4 days straight!

10. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
My favorite part about developing games is hearing comments from fans. The folks who read this blog. We take them into consideration when making the next project, and it’s really nice to know you’ve delivered something to the public that they enjoy playing.

86 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Godofwar55555 on June 28th, 2007 at 6:33 pm said:

I think this is a cool game for the PS3, it unique and different too. I cannot wait to play it. It is actually a cool card game.

[]^XO

+ nmc75 on June 28th, 2007 at 6:33 pm said:

wassup Felice.. a few questions for you: will the Eye of Judgement game be part of a PS3 Eye bundle when in retail? Do you know if the PS3 Eye will be sold separately, and in what colors? The latest trailer out there shows a white one. thanks!

+ AznSniper on June 28th, 2007 at 6:34 pm said:

I really think this game will flame up the card trading world especially japan

+ LeShin on June 28th, 2007 at 6:36 pm said:

@nmc75: Yep it’s been announced that Eye of Judgement will come with the Playstation Eye

…Man I can’t wait for this game……..and I haven’t played a card battle game since Top Trumps back in the early 90’s lol!

+ Godofwar55555 on June 28th, 2007 at 6:37 pm said:

Online gameplay in a card battleling game!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome.

[]^XO

+ self.confessed.cynic on June 28th, 2007 at 6:38 pm said:

Hehe, sounds interesting – what does the availability of those booster packs in regions outside the US and JP?

And why opt for a new IP when you could have made something around an existing game like Magic – although you WOULD have to re-release your own decks etc, it would get more people into the game to begin with.

Ah well, I’d like to see how this plays.

+ Septimus on June 28th, 2007 at 6:39 pm said:

Ooh I didn’t know this would be an online title.. Very interesting! I may “two-birds-with-one-stone” this game just to get the PS Eye ;D

+ Gavi on June 28th, 2007 at 6:49 pm said:

Great that it will be a global launch, kids in Asia love card trading games, so this could appeal to a whole new market. Look forward to hearing more about the PlayStation Eye at E3 and this title. Possibly some more info on Singstar too?

Oh and as a marketing ploy, just throw the accessory in with a game, that way people think they’re getting it for free, Worked for Wii Play didn’t it?

+ scareglow88 on June 28th, 2007 at 6:49 pm said:

I love this site its the best.

+ Joe on June 28th, 2007 at 6:53 pm said:

The Eye of Judgment is one game I really have my eye on. The Idea of EOJ really is some thing neat and I hope it does well.

I think the idea could help shape future games if it comes out well.

So I for one can’t wait to play this game.

+ dml102 on June 28th, 2007 at 6:57 pm said:

Is the eye of judgement like the eyetoy?

+ SonnyJim on June 28th, 2007 at 6:57 pm said:

looks like a lot of fun. a STAR WARS card game using the playstation eye would be cool also.

+ fireras on June 28th, 2007 at 6:59 pm said:

Hey Felice, I have always thought of this game to be cool but I really wanted to be able to put up cards against my opponent for when I place online….so if you’re opponent has a really rare card and you wanna get it, you can make a wager to get the said card…I have a hard time imagining this happening now. But was there any consideration put into this feature? Did you guys even know we wanted such a thing? Would it be possible to create like blank cards and then have you purchase online decks and then have PSEy3 & Cell get that card and apply an image to it and then allow you to lose that card and image when you place online?

Also, what are there systems in place to prevent, cheating when playing online? Because I’m sure you guys must of thought, “online card game…there is gonna be alot of cheating if the correct systems aren’t in place”

~PSN: fireras

+ termdefined on June 28th, 2007 at 7:00 pm said:

Please please please add streaming stereo bluetooth A2DP support to the PS3. That would make me so happy :)

+ Joakim Hagdahl on June 28th, 2007 at 7:20 pm said:

I’m impressed by the quality of your articles on this website. Please keep it up. Have you added it as a link in the Playstation Browser homepage yet? :)

Also, when are you announcing and releasing the other Playstation Eye titles? I know there are two puzzle games coming that look really good and those games would make people more prone to putting down money for Eye of Judgment and the PS Eye.

+ KEFIOX on June 28th, 2007 at 7:20 pm said:

This would be so much cooler if they were Magic cards, me and my cousins have so many magic cards, I don’t want to have to collect new cards just to play a game, so I probably won’t be picking this one up :(

+ Frazz on June 28th, 2007 at 7:25 pm said:

I touch myself when i think of my ps3

+ sullyj on June 28th, 2007 at 7:26 pm said:

EOJ looks great and thanks for the info. Any other games in development for the PS Eye you can tell us about?

+ balliinn on June 28th, 2007 at 7:27 pm said:

I have a question. Do you draw the cards from a shuffled deck or what? if so, when playing online, people will cheat by picking the best card or whatever from the shuffled deck instead of playing it fair.

How about a Star Wars card game huh? or Marvel? or DC? or even Magic??

this product is very exciting!

+ Finalsquall on June 28th, 2007 at 7:28 pm said:

I can’t wait for this. I think the online will be great. I liked ff11 tetra online but this will pwn that :D

+ RobinNL on June 28th, 2007 at 7:37 pm said:

Great answers and a interesting title.

something else: too bad Sony didn’t want to keep their F1 rights and screwed the fans over that bought a PS3 for F1 titles!

Never mind that, great blog again and thanks for the awesome PSN store update today!

+ Adrnlne on June 28th, 2007 at 7:44 pm said:

A Marvel Deck would be a must at least. I give this game a 20 from 0 to 10 in terms of creativity. Sure we’ve had Magic and all, but never like this xD Definately a must have to whoever ows a ps3

+ tearsofash on June 28th, 2007 at 7:48 pm said:

I really think it would be cool if Eye of Judgment idea was expanded to other TCGs.

+ fireras on June 28th, 2007 at 7:55 pm said:

Another title I think would be awesome under the PSEy3 is Yugioh…I love that cartoon and the monsters are awesome.

+ UntoldDreams on June 28th, 2007 at 7:57 pm said:

You guys should consider licensing the technology to YuGiOh. I would bet Konami would be interested if Eye of Judgement sells well.

+ AnubisHades on June 28th, 2007 at 8:18 pm said:

please please please
Make a chess game using the Playstation EYE

+ joelface on June 28th, 2007 at 8:22 pm said:

i am sceptical as to how well this game will sell.

not because i dont think it will be fun, or anything.

but its definitely geared towards a specialty market.

..at least it seems that way to me.

however, the technology seems really cool.. and i like how the game figures out all the details for you.. that should keep it fun.

i hope theres some cool monster fights. i remember once i played a chess game on the computer a long time ago, where the chess pieces would fight each time you got one of each others pieces, and i remember that seemed really awesome to me.

this is almost like that sort of a thing.. you get to watch something you always had to just imagine before.

+ bobeotm on June 28th, 2007 at 8:53 pm said:

This games looks more and more impressive everytime I see it. It seems to have come a long way from when it was first shown.

+ Tgrant on June 28th, 2007 at 9:11 pm said:

I really cannot wait for this game. Can you imagine if it becoems popular enough they can strike a contract with the people who made the Yugioh cards! That would be crazy.

+ lennygundam14 on June 28th, 2007 at 9:13 pm said:

is this game going to work with Home? that would be pretty cool. I hope they make all the PS games mandatory to work with Home

+ Herby on June 28th, 2007 at 9:26 pm said:

This game is sounding like fun. The online part is going to have people addicted to it. I think it is the first I have heard of the online aspect.

+ joel on June 28th, 2007 at 9:30 pm said:

In order for this to be a succes its goin to be hard. Now sony is no longer competing with other video game companies, but are competing with card companies as well, if it becomes a greater hit than yugioh or any other card game, it will sell millions of ps3’s.

+ Devin1498 on June 28th, 2007 at 9:36 pm said:

I know this is slightly off topic, but I’m hoping you can address questions about the Playstation Eye itself. First, I’m wondering if it will be compatible with PCs for web cam functionality. Second, how much will it cost?

+ dragNdrift on June 28th, 2007 at 9:36 pm said:

I hadn’t heard of this game before, but the concept is Brilliant!
never been into magic the gathering or similar games myself, but I know the appeal they have to many people.
Fantastic idea! sounds like a ps3 seller to me.
Well done! Can’t wait to see how it goes.

+ darkgeekrocker on June 28th, 2007 at 9:49 pm said:

well….i suggest a automatic card shuffler…which also scans the cards so it knows all cards in your deck (maybe each card gets a specal marking to the chip every time in a game, and only get re written when accepted into a new game)…so no cheating goes on…anybody agree?

+ chrisius on June 28th, 2007 at 10:17 pm said:

I think i’m gonna pick up this game and the PS Eye bundle. I think it will be an interesting game and i’m actually quite intrigued. I think its gonna be a whole fun game though. Can you tell us how much the bundle will most likely cost right now, or is it still too early?

+ Poet on June 28th, 2007 at 10:29 pm said:

I’m really excited for this game. I just hope we don’t get shafted on the price of those ‘booster’ packs. I remember wasting so much money playing Magic: The Gathering. I don’t think I can go through that again.

+ Theossie on June 28th, 2007 at 10:50 pm said:

I’m very interested in this game. I believe it will be very fun.

@ AnubisHades, #25, I agree… I would definitely be interested in a chess game that used the Eye.

The chess board can be embedded with a Cybercode on each square. With each move calculated based on the squares that aren’t covered. That would be nice!!!

Could have checkers also.

+ CrimsonCalibur on June 28th, 2007 at 10:58 pm said:

This game has intrigued me from the very beginning. The tech looks amazing and implemented well. I am not sure of how big this game will be but hopefully it will give other developers out there ideas and push them to develop for the Playstation EYE. There is an amazing amount of potential with the EYE and I am looking forward to getting one.

+ Staircase on June 28th, 2007 at 11:27 pm said:

Very cool. I can see myself really getting into this game. Card games are always fun, and this one looks not only like a great card game, but an innovative, new way to play cards!

+ holz55 on June 28th, 2007 at 11:31 pm said:

It just clicked for me! I’m completely sold on this game for online battles alone. You don’t have to go find someone to play to play against someone. You can just turn your PS3 on, and find a match! Sweet!

+ xplosneer on June 28th, 2007 at 11:38 pm said:

Embedded in the cards, so the PSEye is a scanner(sort of) Wow, I’m impressed. COOL! I’ll buy this game… I’m into card stuff, but never really battled with them. Any plan to release some more cards? 100 is good, but 200 would give more chance of bragging and equal stuff. PLEASE PLEASE don’t make an abundance of cards, that’s why I stopped playing PokeMon, too easy to get the good cards these days :(.

+ sequoia on June 28th, 2007 at 11:39 pm said:

Never would have considered doing these card battles until this game came around, it could really open up that whole card playing thing to a lot of new people.

+ Agriel on June 28th, 2007 at 11:51 pm said:

I’m just wondering if they will follow the other card battle games. Will there be rare cards and will that collection factor be in this game?

+ Novaoblivion on June 29th, 2007 at 12:14 am said:

I never play card games but this looks like a lot of fun. I am defiantly going to give it a try.

+ bobtheduck on June 29th, 2007 at 1:04 am said:

1. Is this game playable WITHOUT the PS3 and the PSeye? It should be, since the cards will make you money whether or not they buy a PS3, and a lot of TCG players won’t start playing a TCG they need to buy a 600 dollar system for, not to mention how ever much the eye costs.

2. Will there be rare cards?

3. Will the game get consistant upgrades and new cards? It would be nice if you kept it going for years…

4. Will this be open to other, established TCGs to move into the PSEye world?

+ quilliry on June 29th, 2007 at 1:13 am said:

this game will pprobably get me into trading card games again

+ Gringo on June 29th, 2007 at 2:42 am said:

I saw somebody (from not mine XMB) is already playin’ this game.

Envy is a bad feeling… I know :(

+ MasterCharged on June 29th, 2007 at 3:06 am said:

i think this game has what it takes to replace Magic the Gathering. if only the ps3 was accessible to everyone. i really hope that this game sells well

+ dreamkin on June 29th, 2007 at 3:51 am said:

Very nice. Here is a question. How exactly are you going to prevent cheating in online? Keeping the deck always in view?

PAGE 1 2