PS4-Watch_Dogs

New PS3, New Price & More News Coming

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Jul 08, 2007 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

B
As you may have seen tonight here, here and here, we’re kicking off this year’s E3 with some big news (and the show hasn’t even started yet).

In short, we’re introducing a new PS3 model with a 80GB hard drive which will include a free copy of MotorStorm, all for the retail price of $599. This 80GB package will be available starting in August, just a few short weeks from today. The larger hard drive will give players more of an opportunity to take advantage of all the downloadable games and trailers on the PLAYSTATION Network, including the content from our forthcoming download service which will include videos, movies and other entertainment content.

In addition, as some of you speculated last week, we confirmed today that we are lowering the price of our current 60GB PS3 by $100, to $499, effective immediately in North America. I know many of you were eager to hear this and we’re thrilled to share this with you now as we head into E3.

Lastly, to keep up with the latest news, you can view a live stream of the official E3 SCEA press conference this Wednesday, July 11th, starting around 11:30 a.m. pacific time. About a half hour before the conference (11 a.m.), click here and we’ll have a live conference feed available.

And if that isn’t enough for you, we’ll have tons of content hitting the PLAYSTATION Store this week, including the SCEA press conference and exclusive first and third party videos and trailers, only available through PLAYSTATION Network. These will be available shortly after the conclusion of the press conference. We want to make sure that you’re getting the info as soon as possible. Rest assured, there is much more to come this week, including the conclusion of our Inside the Developer Studio series, so stay tuned….

Also See
SCEA President & CEO Jack Tretton outlines the details of today’s announcement (YouTube)

545 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 11

+ Devenish on July 9th, 2007 at 12:10 am said:

$499 for a well equipped PS3 sounds much better, now I just have to wait for it to include rumble support in the controller.

+ thefoxtrot on July 9th, 2007 at 12:13 am said:

I don’t want to be back seat, but you should bring back the 20gig SKU at $399 to stay competitive. Three SKU’s with varing choice sounds more reasonable. Also I’ve seen the 20gig for sale at gamestop.com, will this discontinue? And whoever said $399 for the 60 is lame. A $200 price drop on the cheapest bluray player/ console combo out there, are you nuts or just unreasonable.

Seriously,
Bring back the 20gig and just take the hit to sell units and push software. You really are gonna need around 5-7 mil by 2007 end to stay competitive so why not take the hit early if you’re really in it for the long haul? What happened to throwing out the budget Jack? What happened to the #1 brand in America mentality? Lets see some more of that sacrifice to push units. I need more people to slay in resistance!

+ White-Sharingan on July 9th, 2007 at 12:14 am said:

Congrats sony, wished it was 100gb but thats allright at least it has motorstorm. I already have a PS3 so no need for it, but some of my friends now want the 60gb version.

BTW sony is the sixaxis going to pop up with a red LED light on the PS button? if not then thats false advertisement

+ Kxpuc27 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:19 am said:

until the promotion by the Blu-ray Disc Association you’d get either:
60GB, and 5 Blu-Ray movies for $499
80GB, Motorstorm, 5 Blu-Ray movies for $599

take what you want leave the rest to the ppl who actually want to play Motorstorm

+ Alpha_89 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:20 am said:

Well im a 60 gig owner in Europe dont mind a 80 gig model but is 20 gig going to make such a differance? Besides if i have a 60 gig cant i do the same things as a 80 gigs ?:S

+ c7 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:25 am said:

This a very good move,now how about a free game too :-)

+ dragNdrift on July 9th, 2007 at 12:29 am said:

I hope this price structure is worldwide… here in Australia we only got the 60GB version at around US$850… even just a drop of US$100 from that would help sales big time. admittedly they’re doing OK here, but not brilliantly.

+ DonRWatters on July 9th, 2007 at 12:34 am said:

I’ve got a 250GB PS3, so the announcement isn’t huge.

But I am concerned that my PS3 just took a giant $#!t, and now the video doesn’t work anymore. I guess I’m one of the lucky 1% that has their console unavailable while it’s getting replaced, unless of course the numbers are just now starting to grow because the PS3 is getting old enough to start showing it’s age.

I’ve sunk a lot into making my PS3 a big part of my life…over 1500 family pictures, 500 songs from albums that I ripped on my PS3, tons of videos, a blu-ray junkie on Netflix. I feel like a big part of my life is going to be missing now, while it’s getting replaced.

Why can’t we just take it back to the store where we bought it and get it replaced?

Why does it have to go back to Sony for replacement, directly from the consumer?

We didn’t buy it directly from Sony, so why does it have to go back to Sony?

Truly frustrating, to have something become so central to my existence (pretty sure that this is what Sony is striving for) just be ripped out of my life, for as long as it’s going to take to get turned around, in some arcaine process. I have to wait for a box to be shipped to me…and I have to be there to accept it, so that I can sign for it (I have a job…so that’s not going to be easy)…then I get to send it back and hope that this doesn’t take more time than usual to send a replacement back.

And as a note for anyone else out there that loves their PS3 and includes it as a central part of your life…don’t let that receipt out of your site. You’re going to need it later. I bought my PS3 in December, and I thought for sure, since nothing had happened yet, that nothing would happen. I have a PS2 that is still doing awesome, and I’ve had that same one since launch. I have a PSP that is still going strong, without any issues. I fold like crazy on my PS3…I have a Linux install on a it…I’m on the Warhawk beta…I’m as big of a PS3 fanboy as one can be…so, don’t think that I’m bashing. This is all meant to be very constructive.

So, why do I need a proof of purchase, when the console hasn’t been out a year yet, and there’s a one year warranty on it?

How does gifting work with this policy of needing a proof of purchase to get a replacement for a bad console?

Why should have to spend $149 to get a replacement if I don’t have proof of purchase and the product hasn’t even been out long enough to surpass it’s initial warrantly period?

I think these are all valid questions, but no one in the Customer Service department can answer them. I just hear a lot of dull noise coming back from the other end of the line when I ask anything that is slightly outside of their script.

Meanwhile, the PS3 is hitting the big stage and annoucing all kinds of great stuff during E3, and I’m sitting on the sidelines, because I’m one of the lucky 1% who has a PS3 that has broken (and I’d like to include that I never got an overheat light…nor is my PS3 even remotely close to another heat source, nor is it in a place that collects a lot of dust, nor is it in a confined space…I know you want to assume this kind of stuff, because PS3′s don’t just break by themselves…heaven forbid Sony take any kind of responsibility for their own product not working correctly).

Will the E3 content be available outside of the PSN? I hope so. Pleeeaaaassssseeeee

+ Gavi on July 9th, 2007 at 12:35 am said:

It’s great news about the price drop, hope more gamers are going to play beyond now too. Interesting to see a new SKU. I heard about a 60GB MotorStorm bundle being released in Europe, but seems that SCEA is going with a Limited Edition 80GB. It doesn’t seem to have gone down to well with the hardcore element, because they just see it as the price going back up after the 60GB price drop.

Anyhow, hope it proves successful, care to reveal more about what plans you guys have for MotorStorm now? I can understand why you guys chose it over Resistance due to the ESRB rating.

I have a few questions though if anyone could respond that would be great.

Why is the PS button red on the box? New feature, new controller (Shockaxis perhaps?)

Are there going to be any demos during E3? I hope so, videos and trailers will be nice, but demos will be the cherry on the top.

+ limitt_45 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:35 am said:

that makes sense to make the 80gb sku a limited version. dont repeat what m$ did with the elite

+ awheaten on July 9th, 2007 at 12:37 am said:

@Rzarekta@Sony
I don’t want Sony to come away from this site thinking “well most people like what we are doing with the price cut”. We like the price drop of the original high end PS3, but no way do we like the 80gb HD deal because…well its not a deal. I’m hoping very much that Sony doesn’t think that we’re appreicative of the price cut: we are. However, it going to cause Sony to spend more money while they can have that money go to the PSN (which needs a major overhaul), paying for exclusivity for games, or paying more companies for making games for Sony’s first party. I see absolutly no deal or value in the 80gb version. Let me print that in all caps: THERE IS NO VALUE 80GB VERSION OF THE PLAYSTATION 3. I hope Sony’s doesn’t take it as we’re trying to tell them how to do their job. We, as PlayStation fans (not Sony fans I think their products are over price), want to see the PS3 do well. Think of us as buyers stock who have taken stock into your company. Thats who we all are. The point I’m trying to make is listen to this website (this section in particular), listen to the vast majority, and you’ll come to grips that releasing the 80gb version is a total waste in every sense of the the word. I won’t point out the reasons I think that the reasons have been well express above. That being said, I’m finished I’ve said my peice. Good luck Sony.

+ lildre09 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:41 am said:

SONY! PLEASE! AT THIS YEARS E3 BRING IT! BRING IT! BRING! PEOPLES CONFIDENCE IN YOUR GUYS NOWADAYS IS DYING DOWN AND NOW YOU REALLY HAVE SERIOUS COMPETITION! IM TRYING MY BEST TO TAKE UP FOR YOU GUYS WHEN PEOPLE BASH YOU. I JUST HEARD A PODCAST THAT REALLY TALKED ABOUT YOU GUYS BAD, IT MADE ME FEEL KINDA SAD. I STILL HAVE FAITH AND CONFIDENCE IN YOU GUYS. IVE BEEN WITH YOU ALL THESE YEARS WHY SHOULD I STOP NOW. I LOVE YOU GUYS AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT E3!!

+ awheaten on July 9th, 2007 at 12:45 am said:

@Rzarekta@Sony
I don’t want Sony to come away from this site thinking “well most people like what we are doing with the price cut”. We like the price drop of the original high end PS3, but no way do we like the 80gb HD deal because…well its not a deal. I’m hoping very much that Sony doesn’t think that we’re appreicative of the price cut: we are. However, it going to cause Sony to spend more money while they can have that money go to the PSN (which needs a major overhaul), paying for exclusivity for games, or paying more companies for making games for Sony’s first party. I see absolutly no deal or value in the 80gb version. Let me print that in all caps: THERE IS NO VALUE IN THE 80GB VERSION OF THE PLAYSTATION 3. I hope Sony’s doesn’t take it as we’re trying to tell them how to do their job. We, as PlayStation fans (not Sony fans I think their products are over price), want to see the PS3 do well. Think of us as buyers of stock who have taken stock into your company. Thats who we all are. The point I’m trying to make is listen to this website (this section in particular), listen to the vast majority, and you’ll come to grips that releasing the 80gb version is a total waste in every sense of the the word. I won’t point out the reasons I think that the reasons have been well express above. That being said, I’m finished making my point. I’ve said my peice. Good luck Sony.

+ limitt_45 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:47 am said:

i know iv said this befor. but i REALLY hope that the 80gd ps3 is in limited amounts. that way the price drop wont be in vein

+ Kraken on July 9th, 2007 at 12:47 am said:

Oh, I forgot to mention in my last post.

I think the 100US$ slice is great. But I don’t really se the point in the new 80GB PS3. I think that’s kinda wasted.

It would be much better to just slice the price of the 60GB verison and include Motorstorm on that one. for 499US$.

The 80GB version w/Motorstorm is kinda silly if you ask me.

+ lildre09 on July 9th, 2007 at 12:50 am said:

@ Kraken. I think its kinda cool actually just because you’re getting a PS3 with a bigger HDD with a $60 game its kinda nice. I think maybe they should also add a game with the 60gb model to just to kinda help them out in sales. Thats just my opinion.

+ ExtremeOne on July 9th, 2007 at 12:50 am said:

This is great news Thanks Sony

+ BazC on July 9th, 2007 at 12:52 am said:

I don’t see how this will maximize sales as consumers are going to hold out for the 80GB version, while many may hold off completely because they want the best, but can’t afford it.

Saying that how does the price drop affect Britain/Europe? £50 isnt going to make me get a PS3, Price of a game isn’t a huge drop.

+ Kraken on July 9th, 2007 at 1:03 am said:

There should only be 1 version of the PS3!

Different packs, yes, with different games and accessories, but not different hardware configs.

Causes more confusion than anything.

You should keep the 60GB only, and after a year or two, replace it with a PS3 120GB or 250GB and keep the same’ish price that it has at that point.

100US$ for 20GB and Motorstorm isn’t a very good deal.

+ ExtremeOne on July 9th, 2007 at 1:06 am said:

The PS3 80GB Console bundle is the best version of the PS3.

+ artofwar420 on July 9th, 2007 at 1:08 am said:

LOL, for those of you that say that the more expensive version is better, you are wrong, it’s only the hard drive people! The cheaper one is the exact same model. Besides, you can get a larger hard drive if you want. This is how I see it: the more expensive model is for the lazier people that don’t want to go and find a hard drive, and the 499 model is for me. Hell, I can find a larger model I ever need one.

+ Goodfella2487 on July 9th, 2007 at 1:11 am said:

Notice the bundle says limited ed. it wont be around very long hopefully

+ Kraken on July 9th, 2007 at 1:15 am said:

@ExtremeOne

It’s not the best version. It’s the same, but with 20GB more storage and it costs 100US$ more.

+ Kratos on July 9th, 2007 at 1:16 am said:

Like everyone else, I am thrilled at the news that the PS3 will get a much needed cut to $499 but I have to say the 80GB SKU is a misfit. The introduction doesn’t seem to be handled well; I hope this is just a transitional situation as you move from 60GB to 80GB standard.

At the end of the day you should just have one SKU, have it competitively priced and anything else above that should be marketed purely as bundles and nothing more.

+ DrFurbs on July 9th, 2007 at 1:24 am said:

Concerned, I bought my Ps3 a few weeks ago. Now do I get a refund, a game, Bluray disc?

Either way, well done SONY.

+ EViD on July 9th, 2007 at 1:24 am said:

thrilled… you guys rock

+ Jamaicangmah on July 9th, 2007 at 1:31 am said:

This is great i got a friend who already sent his money to his sister to get his PS3 next week. Now that it’s $500 he can get a next game or 2. Great move Sony.

However am not in agreement with this 80Gb version for $600. You should just allow $500 to be the price on everyones minds when they think PS3. With the 80Gb your undermindin your own price drop. Just please don’t unless maybe by Xmas you remove the 60Gb version and have the 80Gb standard for $500. I know am a small voice but i hope your listening guys.

+ lildre09 on July 9th, 2007 at 1:41 am said:

SONY IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS ADD A FREE HDMI CABLE OR SOMETHING PLEASE!! THIS IS IMPORTANT. I THINK AN HDMI CABLE WILL MAKE THE DEAL A LITTLE BETTER AND MAYBE SOME PEOPLE WONT COMPLAIN AS MUCH.

+ MasterCharged on July 9th, 2007 at 1:49 am said:

thats a great move in the right direction

+ Garinol on July 9th, 2007 at 1:57 am said:

Great move Sony! But for 80GB HDD and MotorStorm for 100$ more is a bit high, don’t you think? Including a few blu-ray movies and a HDMI cable will make it worth it.

+ Nootje on July 9th, 2007 at 2:00 am said:

Great move, not that we werent expecting it, but a great move.I dont know why people make such a big deal about the 80Gig ps3 + motorstorm.Its a limited edition and you dont have to buy it.

What is important though; what about Europe?
We’re already paying around $800 for a ps3.Dont you think sales are gonna take a dive after the price cut announcement?People are gonna wait for it to drop, including myself.

Make it happen Sony.People are willing, but you gotta meet us halfway.

+ cubehouse on July 9th, 2007 at 2:01 am said:

Where’s a UK Price Drop?
I was only going to buy one after the price dropped, it’s just too much money! It’s costs a ridiculous amount. In direct conversion to dollars, it costs $855… which says alot when it now costs $499 in the US…
Why can’t you have a price drop for the country that can’t afford it?

+ colonel179 on July 9th, 2007 at 2:13 am said:

This is a REALLY BAD move from SONY.. Why the hell would they want to confuse more people and letting them think that the PS3 is still $600…
The “Limited Edition” is meant for the motorstorm game bundled, but since it is causing “confusion” I think would be really good that SONY now that is getting all this BAD feedback AGAIN they get rid of the 60GB (maybe by december) and replace it with the 80GB at the $499 price tag (or lower since maybe they could get another price drop by then)

If they are planning on leaving the 2 SKU forever they will be screwed big time.. just look at microsot, having 3 SKU just doesn’t help it at all.. They heard the ELITE was the WORST decision ever, and then SONY couldn’t fall behind and so the same [DELETED] mistake

Just like someone said before, right when sony is about to make a great choice that [DELETED] it up!!

BAD SONY BAAAD!!!! I just hope you don’t [DELETED] up at E3 or we will be saying goodbye to a PS4

+ colonel179 on July 9th, 2007 at 2:15 am said:

THE LIMITED EDITION IS MEANT FOR THE MOTORSTORM GAME, NOT FOR THE 80GB

IF IT WAS FOR THE 80GB, IT WOULD BE PRINTED BIGGER AND NOT RIGHT AT THE SIDE OF THE GAME

+ DooM on July 9th, 2007 at 2:20 am said:

You guys are just great Sony lowers the price and all you do is questenig this decision…I wonder why….

Sony keep this up, and the victory will be near to defeed the 360…Did you read all the buzz arround the Ring of Dead 3 year warrenty…must make you smile didn’t it??

Now what you are doing for the USA people do it for the European people also …at the same time…please!!!!

+ darkgeekrocker on July 9th, 2007 at 2:32 am said:

this new price will help my friend get a ps3! yay!

i am of course jealous…but whatever lol

i just have a very needed answer to my question, will the WHOLE live confrence be recorded and uploaded to the psn the same day? i have to work 12:00 PM central to 8:00 on Wed. and i dont want to miss it.

+ Wollan on July 9th, 2007 at 2:42 am said:

The price drop of the 60GB is nice.

With that sad it would be really bad imho if you shipped the 80GB like it seems today though if that controller is announced at the conference to be a rumble version then I would consider it an okay deal.

With that said, I see it sais Limited Edition and I hope that this is a temporary SKU helped to potentially phase out the 60GB so you can lower the price on a standalone (non bundled) 80GB later this fall to 499$. Otherwise I would be quite baffled because if there’s one stigma you need to loose it’s that the PS3 is a product past the 500$ barrier.

+ Gavi on July 9th, 2007 at 2:56 am said:

Tons of content available on the PlayStation network, only available on the network.

I must have missed this part when I read through the post. How much is ‘tons’? Does this mean exclusive to the PlayStation network? Will be very nice if so, was this the reason for that minor upgrade to 1.82 the other week? Are you guys going to bring us this content in glorious video and audio quality?

Can’t wait for the conference and the announcements, especially a little something about some game called Killzone 2.

You’ve got the momentum going to E3, which is more than can be said for the other side, all the best of luck, hope you blow our socks off with what you’ve got in store.

+ ShadowKoneko on July 9th, 2007 at 2:58 am said:

Although this is great news, I can’t help but be both mad and depressed over it at the same time. Simply because I already got my PS3 not even a month ago. Now I wish I could get this one instead, especially since it comes with Motorstorm, and more so if it came with a rumble controller. :(

+ Picasso on July 9th, 2007 at 3:00 am said:

All I can say is advertise the hell out of the 60GB for $499. let consumers find out about the 80GB system when they walk into stores or from the net.

Probably a commercial about having the most reliable home entertainment console @ $499 :)

+ thefjk on July 9th, 2007 at 3:15 am said:

This ‘d have not been a problem if the PS3 had a 3 inch Removable Hard Disk in the first place. That way people could upgrade their own console with any hard disk size they wanted (cheaper than 2.5 inch)…

And if the PS3 only came in one configuration 60GB this pricecut ‘d be so amazing cuz hard disk space would be left to the consumer’s own decesion!

“No confusion, no difficult decisions, no drama, no hussle… just one PS3! And if you download a bunch you can get a 120GB off eBay!”

+ MCWHAMMER on July 9th, 2007 at 3:27 am said:

OK, you dropped the price, now what are you going to do for us people that purchased the PS3 in the beginning? Is that how you treat us? We’ve had a system with no games to play since it came out, and we’d like a $100 back for the time our PS3′s have been sitting in silence.

It’s not fair to us. At least send us all a free Blu-Ray copy of a GOOD movie.

+ K on July 9th, 2007 at 3:28 am said:

@149

Every console drops in price, if you didn’t think it was worth it, why did you buy one?

+ Demon on July 9th, 2007 at 3:30 am said:

Buy the $499 60GB version and then buy a bigger HDD later if you want.

Maybe if people choose the 60GB version over the more expensive 80GB version, Sony will get rid of the $600 PS3 like they did with the 20GB PS3.

+ Conch_Bubby on July 9th, 2007 at 3:34 am said:

Did not see this coming. Swift kick to the teeth. I bought my system less than a month ago. Like the other two Sony systems, did not anticipate a price cut atleast till next year. Could have used that extra $100 to purchase another game.
Sweet reward for the early adopter, Thanks!

+ Wolf26pack on July 9th, 2007 at 3:35 am said:

This seems like a great Deal I was wating for this but unfortunatly will still wait until I hear that the Six Axis with Rumble Function is Available in the Box with the PS3. Once that is done I definintly plan to buy the PS3.

+ Kraken on July 9th, 2007 at 3:35 am said:

@MCWHAMMER

Now you’re just being silly.

+ Conch_Bubby on July 9th, 2007 at 3:38 am said:

@MCWHAMMER

Have you seen Casino Royale?

+ sirnh1 on July 9th, 2007 at 3:52 am said:

The price drop is a good thing.

But what’s the 80GB good for? Everyone was complaining about THE PRICE not about the amount of space… If it was the space on the hard drive than you guys could just be creating an external playstation 3 hard drive that you could connect using usb connection!

I think lowering the price is a good move but that 80GB is a bad move. People might nog buy it because it’s to expensive and not buy the 60GB because it’s not the best one out there….

So far my small opinion!

+ fatherofone on July 9th, 2007 at 4:07 am said:

I will echo the comments by others. Here is exactly what I here all day long when people look at the PS3.

Person 1 “Wow that looks cool”
Person 2 “Yeah isn’t that like $600″
Person 1 “Wow, that #$@@# is expensive”
Then they go and look at the 360 and ask when the Wii will be coming in

So what has changed? Well they could have gone in and at least changed it to $500, and that would have put the PS3 in the same discussion as the 360, but not anymore. They will ignore the cheaper price model and still talk about the expensive one. My only hope is that they say “Well that one comes with a game”, but I doubt that will happen.

In all honesty, one sku at $450 would have done a world of good but one for $500 was better than nothing, however you just killed it with releasing this new PS3 for $600. People will only talk about whatever is the most expensive version you have out and that isn’t good.

In short, this was a mistake, and I hope that you can recover from it like the others that have been made.

Lastly, I own a PS3 and somewhat enjoy it, but I am finding it difficult to recommend it to other families over the Wii at this time. A PS3 at $450 with some family games would have gone a long way in changing that.

I beg you to get the PS3 to $450 with a family game and a HDMI/Component cable out by this Christmas season. That combo would get the NPD numbers back to a reasonable level.

Then do everything possible to get the PS3 down to $350 by next Christmas, and you will be able to get those ready to migrate from the PS2 up to the PS3.

One last comment in regards to software.
Do whatever it takes to keep MGS and FF exclusive and for the love of God help EA (who has just relegated the PS3 to one of it’s lowest level of development) to improve Madden. If the rumors are true the 360 version of Madden runs at 60fps and the PS3 runs at 30. I don’t care about Madden, but it does sell systems and obviously this will cause sales to go to the 360 this year over the PS3.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 10