PS4-The Order

Inside the Developers Studio: Julian Eggebrecht

Julian Eggebrecht's Avatar + Posted by Julian Eggebrecht on Jul 09, 2007 // Co-Founder & President, Factor 5

Lair
1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
LAIR. And if it isn’t there I am not there.

2. Describe it in five words or less.
Dragons. Combat. Flight. Fight. Done.

3. Tell us more about your game. What’s the story?
The story is about Rohn, a dragon pilot and elite member of the military. The world is being thrown into chaos by natural disasters, the government is taken over by fanatics who exploit this, and Rohn has to fight a war that makes him question his moral stance. The story starts out very black and white, but it becomes grey and triggers a lot of questions, both for the hero as well as, we hope, the player. It’s not your typical video game story.

4. What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
The combination of traditional controls and radical new usage of motion control is certainly something only possible with the Sixaxis. That then combined with the 1080p graphics and 7.1 hi-def sound, I wouldn’t know of any other platform offering that combination. The PS3 and Lair complement each other rather perfectly.

5. Do you have any “firsts” in this game that have never been done before?
A lot, actually. There never has been an action game that goes seamlessly from the 10000 foot point of action to the very intimate on the-ground battles. There has never been a game that uses motion control and classic controls to bring visceral combat to life – and that in many different gameplay mechanics. And I think even in terms of story we are breaking new ground for video games as a more sophisticated
storytelling device with larger and very contemporary themes.

6. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?
The control of the dragon. All these new things to experience that no game has done before. Well, that and the epic feeling of everything. Epic vs. controls, I am torn which one is cooler.

7. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?
My Mom. The last thing we played together on a TV was Warlords on the Atari 2600 so she needs to catch up.

8. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Least of all my own. I hope to spend some quality time with Uncharted and Ratchet, especially since my kids are the biggest Ratchet fans on the planet. And let’s see how far Kojima-san’s newest Metal Gear has come. Outside of all things PlayStation I am a sucker for Mario Galaxy.

9. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
All of them. I am so old that I attended CES before E3 came about.

10. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Finishing Lair. Lot’s of sleep.

11. Most over used phrase or expression during E3 season.
“Do you have a ticket for the Sony party?”

12. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
A ticket for the Sony party. Something for headaches. A friendly cab-driver

13. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
It’s much better experiencing it now than it was before. Less bare flesh and more quality game time.

14. Describe what you anticipate from 2007’s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
Less Crowds. More Focus.

15. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
Sharing the results with my children. They recently got into some of my older games and it’s so cool experiencing the games again through the eyes of my kids. And that would be a close tie with the perks of the workplace here at Factor 5, most of all fresh imported German beer on tap!

Also See
Lair Nears the Finish Line, Full Speed Ahead!

155 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ jacsro on July 9th, 2007 at 3:09 pm said:

FIRST!

First game im going to buy…WOW

+ reesimo on July 9th, 2007 at 3:09 pm said:

The game just looks better and better. Can’t wait for this and Heavenly Sword.

+ JimmyHACK on July 9th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

can’t wait game is out in just over a month, have it preordered and will no doubt take a paid day off for it..

hopefully demo out before retail, if we lucky this week for e3

+ aaquib on July 9th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

Hopefully it releases August 14th.

+ Dubbedinenglish on July 9th, 2007 at 3:11 pm said:

FANTASTIC screen shot there. I truly cannot wait to take the reigns of a dragon. Buying this on its first day available.

+ Regret on July 9th, 2007 at 3:12 pm said:

Screenshot looks just GREAT! I didn’t knew that game is running at 1080! Now back on reading interview : )

+ rukusa on July 9th, 2007 at 3:12 pm said:

Looking forward to Lair, it seems very promising :).

+ jlocker on July 9th, 2007 at 3:12 pm said:

This games looks fantastic, adding to my list of game to buy in the next couple months, now back to Rainbow 6 vegas!!!!

+ CitizenInsane27 on July 9th, 2007 at 3:13 pm said:

Rock solid, I can’t wait for Lair, it definitely should break some barriers as far as innovative gameplay and unique console oriented style goes. Oh, and by the way, thanks for giving us Playstation kids something to look forward to.

+ raystorm87 on July 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm said:

wow 1080p and 7.1 hi-def sound, can’t wait

+ Rzarekta on July 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm said:

Great screen shot. Definitely looking forward to this game.

+ Ultima-Bahamut on July 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm said:

That screenshot is incredible! Best one released yet.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 3:16 pm said:

My friend would love this game, he wants a 360, but I keep telling him to get a PS3 :P

Still Ratchet & Clank fanboy, so I will pass.

Fox

+ K on July 9th, 2007 at 3:18 pm said:

I do not know why this game was not chosen to be in the new bundle… Motorstorm has been out for a while and most people who would wanted to have played that would have got it already. A LAIR bundle would have been fresh and exciting, maybe the new unit isn’t meant to gain too much attention..? I know it’s just a way of saving money on hard drives as it’s cheaper to get 80GB and more value is perceived to the public.

I think introducing it at $499 and stating it won’t have the emotion engine while the 60GB still does (at $499) would have been better but that’s me. Don’t want to confuse the uneducated $600 console buyer..

Oh yeah, LAIR good.

+ TheDevilsJoker on July 9th, 2007 at 3:21 pm said:

For the first time in many years, dragons are cool.

+ jlocker on July 9th, 2007 at 3:26 pm said:

They most likely would not want to include a game that is not shipping yet, do to any problem with the game missing it ship date. Could you imagine how the media and others would have a field day with saying Sony could not ship the new PS3 80 because the game was not ready or the 80 gb was late or postponed. It would be negative blog mania!

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 3:26 pm said:

@k

Auto racing it easy to start with and anyone can play it unlike Lair that for hardcore guys. Motorstorm was very good pick and like my PS2 I got it with free copy of GT3 which was racer. Sony doesn’t want to give a game that to hard for player..

Fox

+ darkiewonder on July 9th, 2007 at 3:27 pm said:

Wow. the new Image is BEAUTIFUL!

1080p + 7.1 Sound = Eyegasming Heaven!

I can’t wait for this game to come out!

+ nmc75 on July 9th, 2007 at 3:28 pm said:

Wow! This game is looking like good “PS3 HD bragging” material, right next to Planet Earth on Blu-ray. That is a very impressive screen shot there, I thought it might’ve been a CGI sequence.

+ KatanaKing on July 9th, 2007 at 3:28 pm said:

This is a must buy game for me, i was just wondering if the main character Rohn was based off your face Julian??? You look very alike to me at least.

+ self.confessed.cynic on July 9th, 2007 at 3:29 pm said:

THAR BE DRAGONS!

Ehm, sorry – excited.

+ Neil on July 9th, 2007 at 3:29 pm said:

Can’t wait to play it.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 3:33 pm said:

I want a dragon like in Eragon “moive” she was hot and cute, as in furry terms, “I would love to be her rider” ~laughs~

Fox

+ Godofwar55555 on July 9th, 2007 at 3:36 pm said:

I am really looking forward to Lair, ever since it was first announced, Killer APPP!!!!!

[]^XO

+ K on July 9th, 2007 at 3:37 pm said:

@17

If MS was GT than I would agree… I think both games are semi-hardcore and LAIR will surely pull in some Oblivion fans but it’s new which I think is the most important factor. People already know about Motorstorm and I am pretty sure the new unit will not sell very well if the stock of 60GB units remains high.

+ aaquib on July 9th, 2007 at 3:38 pm said:

@K

Motorstorm is a more family oriented game, and is not really hardcore, or too kiddy. It’s not Killzone 2 or Oblivion, but it’s not Little Big Planet or Singstar. It’s a great game for the family, and showcases the potential and ability of PS3. Lair will probably have a bit of a learning curve with the SIXAXIS and all, but Motorstorm is pick-up-and-play. Sony is clearly trying to extend to the mainstream and a game like Lair wouldn’t showcase that too well. Despite all that, Lair will be a sweet AAA game which I’ll be picking up at launch.

+ ckmlb on July 9th, 2007 at 3:47 pm said:

Day 1 Purchase. Beautiful looking game.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 3:51 pm said:

@aaquib

Sound like my friends fighting over PS3 to play Motorstorm :P

@K

lol too many RPG fans, I get better kick out of Sly Cooper then Lair. Pick up and go that make a good game, long story line and hard levels just take the fun out of it, but I wont own Wii for that. Still need little bit of hardcore stuff.

Never will touch Final Fantasy… grr fanboys left and right of me..

Fox

+ homy on July 9th, 2007 at 3:55 pm said:

wow

+ joel on July 9th, 2007 at 4:10 pm said:

The first real HD game, Good job developing the game looks great.

+ GFXology.com on July 9th, 2007 at 4:10 pm said:

Not really my type of game, but the graphics look tight.

+ stennex on July 9th, 2007 at 4:14 pm said:

Hey there might be a bug in the game how come there is black guy in that era. I am black lol.

+ gamer812 on July 9th, 2007 at 4:14 pm said:

Lair is going to be great. I can’t wait to play it this fall.

+ TONX on July 9th, 2007 at 4:31 pm said:

That new screenshot is ridiculously awesome.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 4:32 pm said:

@stennex

Lucky you, I got mix of color going on here, red, white, and black. That what happen when ya a Vulpes.

Overall game look great..

Fox

+ stennex on July 9th, 2007 at 4:36 pm said:

lol

+ stennex on July 9th, 2007 at 4:40 pm said:

LAIR looks phenominal hope it plays the same way.

Hey since Sony is going to streamline the conference online does that mean i can use my PS3 go to the playstation website and stream the video as well. That would be cool.

+ Reluctant Hero on July 9th, 2007 at 4:53 pm said:

Lair and Ratchet & Clank are seriously making me want to be a $500 PS3 this fall instead of 2008.

But I need to wai tuntil after my wedding in November.

+ starfoxACEFOX on July 9th, 2007 at 4:59 pm said:

Wedding :P I wish ya good one..

Save it for ya mate, PS3 always be around..

+ Resolver1 on July 9th, 2007 at 5:02 pm said:

I really hope you guys release a demo soon, like too soon to even call it soon. It will surely shut up the naysayers and those who are unsure about this game.

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on July 9th, 2007 at 5:10 pm said:

When is the demo coming out?

+ new_age_soldier on July 9th, 2007 at 5:19 pm said:

Hey, so people who work at Sony can see this huh??? Well, I been a PS loyalist since PS when it had no number lol. I love the PS2 and wanted to get the PS3. I love the price drop to the 60 giger but one thing that still bugs me to this day is the lack of force feed back on the controler B.K.A. Dual shock Vibration!!! Sony has kissed and made up with immersion so I’m hoping ya can rumble up something come this E3(Tomorrow) I know I’m not the only one who wants this. Look all over the internet and all the rumors for a rumbling Six axis. Motion sensing plus dual shock or touch sense as I think its called now would equal AWESOME and perfection! Would be the best controler this gen for many! Besides, we want MGS4 to HAVE rumble as well as motion sensing. So come on Sony….. Bring rumble Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And keep motion sensing with it!!!!!!!

+ Figboy on July 9th, 2007 at 5:22 pm said:

simple reason why the 80gig PS3 isn’t bundled with Lair: Rating.

chances are, this title will be “M For Mature.”

any crazy parent, who likes to spoil their child with every gadget the little bastard wants probably wouldn’t be too happy with them reeking havoc on folks with a dragon.

Motorstorm is a safe game, as it’s not like Resistance (which would have *also been a great pack-in, but again, the rating), or Lair.

of course, a Ratchet and Clank Future bundle would be *WONDERFUL, but then Insomniac wouldn’t make much dough, would they?

Motorstorm has already sold 1 million units, and has made some money for the developers.

i’m of the mentality that a console like the PS3 is not meant for the under 17 set, as really, how many parents would truly buy a $600 for their kids?

the content of the Playstation 3, is definitely geared for the 18 and older set.

those with jobs, and those that are willing to spend the dough for a high def gaming/movies/music/etc experience.

ever since i got my PS3 (back in February), and my HDTV (40″ Samsung, 720p LCD, got it in early June), i can’t imagine how i ever gamed on my 19″ Standard Definition TV.

movies, gaming, every else is just so much *BETTER in HD. i was skeptical at first, but now i’m a fricking convert all the way.

from this point on, *ALL my consoles have to be HD. there’s no going back to standard definition now.

+ new_age_soldier on July 9th, 2007 at 5:27 pm said:

This game would be complete with dualshock so u can feel it when u have to move the controler around. Come on Sony! Bring rumble back sooner than later! Specialy before MGS4 is release!

+ EViD on July 9th, 2007 at 5:28 pm said:

on my to-buy list

+ new_age_soldier on July 9th, 2007 at 5:30 pm said:

I heard Trtton saying they will bring rumble back if a lot of people want it. Well we all do!!! This game would be even better with it! The game will be awesome regardless but sitll! PS3 needs rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I’m not the only one who thinks this!

+ MasterCharged on July 9th, 2007 at 5:33 pm said:

Factor 5 always deliver.

+ Chad Fenwick on July 9th, 2007 at 5:37 pm said:

Looking really good guys. I have this pre-ordered. So you better give me a good game! ^_^

But I can’t wait to play it and see what else you guys are creating.

Good job.

+ new_age_soldier on July 9th, 2007 at 5:39 pm said:

Sony just make sure u bring back rumble lol.

+ lennygundam14 on July 9th, 2007 at 5:40 pm said:

wow this game at 1080p, thats amazing how you guys can run that, cant wait to get this game

PAGE 1 2 3