1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
LAIR. And if it isn’t there I am not there.
2. Describe it in five words or less.
Dragons. Combat. Flight. Fight. Done.
3. Tell us more about your game. What’s the story?
The story is about Rohn, a dragon pilot and elite member of the military. The world is being thrown into chaos by natural disasters, the government is taken over by fanatics who exploit this, and Rohn has to fight a war that makes him question his moral stance. The story starts out very black and white, but it becomes grey and triggers a lot of questions, both for the hero as well as, we hope, the player. It’s not your typical video game story.
4. What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
The combination of traditional controls and radical new usage of motion control is certainly something only possible with the Sixaxis. That then combined with the 1080p graphics and 7.1 hi-def sound, I wouldn’t know of any other platform offering that combination. The PS3 and Lair complement each other rather perfectly.
5. Do you have any “firsts” in this game that have never been done before?
A lot, actually. There never has been an action game that goes seamlessly from the 10000 foot point of action to the very intimate on the-ground battles. There has never been a game that uses motion control and classic controls to bring visceral combat to life – and that in many different gameplay mechanics. And I think even in terms of story we are breaking new ground for video games as a more sophisticated
storytelling device with larger and very contemporary themes.
6. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?
The control of the dragon. All these new things to experience that no game has done before. Well, that and the epic feeling of everything. Epic vs. controls, I am torn which one is cooler.
7. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?
My Mom. The last thing we played together on a TV was Warlords on the Atari 2600 so she needs to catch up.
8. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Least of all my own. I hope to spend some quality time with Uncharted and Ratchet, especially since my kids are the biggest Ratchet fans on the planet. And let’s see how far Kojima-san’s newest Metal Gear has come. Outside of all things PlayStation I am a sucker for Mario Galaxy.
9. How many E3′s does E3 2007 mark for you?
All of them. I am so old that I attended CES before E3 came about.
10. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Finishing Lair. Lot’s of sleep.
11. Most over used phrase or expression during E3 season.
“Do you have a ticket for the Sony party?”
12. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
A ticket for the Sony party. Something for headaches. A friendly cab-driver
13. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
It’s much better experiencing it now than it was before. Less bare flesh and more quality game time.
14. Describe what you anticipate from 2007′s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
Less Crowds. More Focus.
15. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
Sharing the results with my children. They recently got into some of my older games and it’s so cool experiencing the games again through the eyes of my kids. And that would be a close tie with the perks of the workplace here at Factor 5, most of all fresh imported German beer on tap!