PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Inside the Developers Studio: Hermen Hulst

Hermen Hulst's Avatar + Posted by Hermen Hulst on Jul 10, 2007 // Managing Director, Guerrilla Games

Killzone 2
1. What game do you have at E3 this year?
We are very excited to be presenting Killzone 2 this year.

2. Describe it in five words or less.
Killzone 2 is a Hostile Theatre of war where every hit has a dramatic impact (sorry, Killzone is just too big for five words).

3. Tell me about the game, what’s the story?
It’s two years later and the ISA are invading the Helghast home planet of Helghan. The goal is to capture the Helghast leader and bring the war machine to a halt.

4. What did you do on this game that you couldn’t do on another platform?
For us, we need a great deal of processing power to make our vision come to life. The PS3 really allows us to build Killzone 2 on a grand scale with a level of detail that is truly eye-catching, and something that we knew we could do, but needed the source of raw horsepower to make it happen. To give you an example, our character models on screen use the same amount of polygons as an entire level of Killzone on PS2.

5. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?
One cool thing to note is that we can now do many of the things we envisioned when we were creating the original Killzone. The PS3 hardware really gives us much more freedom in the development process. In my opinion though, at the end of the day, the thing I think about as a coolest aspect of the game really is the iconic Helghast image with the glowing eyes (as you can see in the screen above).

6. If you could sit one person in front of your game for an hour, who would it be?
No big names really, I would most like to see the game in the hands of our fans. We want Joe six pack to play the game and beg for more time with it than just one hour. We’re really looking forward to getting our fans’ reaction to the game.

7. What game do you most want an hour to sit in front of yourself (besides your own)?
Probably Resident Evil 5, I’ve always been a fan of that franchise.

8. How many E3’s does E3 2007 mark for you?
This is my 10th. I’m very happy to see this change in the format this year. There should be much less noise and an overall better experience for attendees.

9. Describe the pre-2007 E3 experience in five words or less.
Again, it’s impossible to do this in under five words. My pre-E3 experience has left me buried in our project. Now that E3 is here, it feels like I’m about to get out of a very long tunnel. It will also be nice to get re-acquainted with my wife.

10. You are asked to make suggestions for an E3 survival kit- what three items HAVE to be included?
For us, E3 is all about exchanging an umbrella and coat for a nice pair of shades. Our team loves to adopt the California gear: sunglasses, flip flops and a nice convertible.

11. What advice would you have for someone who has never experienced E3?
It is a very inspirational time for us as well as everyone who is a fan of games. E3 is where many great teams get together to show off a variety of amazing products. So my advice is to enjoy every single minute of it…it’s a great rush when you get to see some of the very best work from each of the companies involved.

12. Describe what you anticipate from 2007’s newly formatted E3 in five words or less.
I believe this new format for E3 will really allow for more tailored, intimate and customized experiences. A prime example is the event we did tonight for Killzone 2.

13. What’s your favorite part about developing games for a living?
It is definitely the people. I enjoy working with the wide range of talent we have, including extreme creative types as well as the analytic, technical members of our team. It is this collaborative process that magically comes together during each project, allowing us to bring our vision to life.

217 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ reddyap1 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

I cant wait to see In game footage!!

+ Delriach on July 10th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

I wanna see what went on in the conference ;_;

+ Queso on July 10th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

second

+ emickz on July 10th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

2nd KILLZONE IS GONA KILLZOWN

+ emickz on July 10th, 2007 at 11:09 pm said:

edit :( i got 4th anyways looking forward to killzone.

+ Deviation on July 10th, 2007 at 11:10 pm said:

I wish you would supply more in the way of screenshots than just the one that USA Today had. As good as I expect the game to end up looking, that’s just not a flattering shot. Some more shots, or even better, some video showing the game in motion (even just a teaser!) would have done a lot more. I don’t understand why those wall textures are so low-res.

+ lex160 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:10 pm said:

I am a SONY fanboy even though I have a 360 in my household. Still think GOW 1 & 2 are best adventure games from last and this gen.

Its been less than a yr from release and people are trying to count PS3 out. 360 didn’t have a blockbuster until Gears and none since (Saints, Lost Planet & Crackdown are good games but not system sellers).

But the multi-platform games play similar or worst than 360 (i.e. Rainbow 6…good game but no lobbies…what’s up with that). Like Team Ninja said, get other developers to either stop being “lazy” or give them the help they need to produce games worth being on PS3.

With that said, MS only has 3 games that are worth the $$$….Halo 3 (their real money maker considering MS mentioned it like 3-4 times), BioShock and Mass Effect. The rest was crap (Scene It, Viva Pinada mini games….please). They also focused on Vista….come on….no one is upgrading until at least service pack 2-3 unless you’re one of the poor suckas who bought or will buy a PC soon.

Nintendo….while a childhood fav….has just too many mini games packed for $50….nothing of substance (Mario Galaxy is it).

SONY……just make sure Lair, WarHawk, Heaven Sword, Metal Gear, Killzone 2 & FF are as good as can be. Also please keep games exclusive….you already lost DMC4 and RE4. AND PLEASE drop more content for PSN like movies, etc (which I assume you’re waiting for HOME to drop before that).

It’s crunch time….like last gen, best hardware doesn’t mean [DELETED] unless you have games to back it.

+ Ghostm on July 10th, 2007 at 11:11 pm said:

KillZone 2 is going to be hard body!!! Soooo looking forward to this game. Hopefully it will change the people minds about the PS3 system. I’m beginning to see that guiding light at the end of that dark tunnel Sony.

+ gamesblow on July 10th, 2007 at 11:11 pm said:

Yawn… PR spin until we see something substantial. I wanna be floored… 600 bucks and a lot of wasted months waiting… This better be good.

+ Stoffinator on July 10th, 2007 at 11:11 pm said:

I am SO waiting to see this guys. Please please release some footage, I haven’t slept for 24hr. lol

+ ScarWarrior on July 10th, 2007 at 11:13 pm said:

Sweet sounds great. Love the details about the story. It was rumored on (especially after Chapter 5 of KZ:L(amazing game btw)) but a confirmation is great.

BTW, that image is very misleading… and is causing a lot of arguments.

The biggest misleader has to be the “cropped” (like the one above) and the “uncropped” (the one that shows that the image of the “cropped” is actually only a poster of the supposed pre-pre-alpha image of the game, with a very good looking brick wall behind it). The problem lies in the brick wall and the “poster”. Is it really just a poster done just to throw us off or did someone really photoshop the gun and throw in a brick wall?

Maybe the answer will be found out tonight.

+ Rockwallaby on July 10th, 2007 at 11:13 pm said:

High hope, for this game, hopefully it lives up to expectations.

The screen dosen’t inspire me much

+ fireras on July 10th, 2007 at 11:15 pm said:

I can’t wait to see what you guys did and by the sounds of things….you guys did a great job…Helghast same amount of polygons as entire PS2 level…8)

+ Deviation on July 10th, 2007 at 11:15 pm said:

Since the original Killzone was so limited by the PS2 hardware, is there any chance of an “HD” version hitting the PS Store? Just take the original game, render it at 720p without all of the framerate issues from the PS2 version and put it on the store for a few bucks. It’d allow a lot of people who never got a chance to play the original to get caught up on the story for the second game.

Because… to be blunt, I couldn’t bring myself to play through the original, as interesting as the story and setting were. I’ve played too many PC FPS games that I couldn’t stand how broken the engine was on the PS2. Huge draw distance and pop-in issues and the game still had a poor framerate.

I’m really excited about the new Killzone game and I’d like the chance to get a more playable and palatable version of the original.

+ lex160 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:17 pm said:

last and this gen.

to produce games worth being on PS3.

unless you’re one of the poor suckas who bought or will buy a PC soon.

Galaxy is it).

(which I assume you’re waiting for HOME to drop before that).

It’s crunch time….like last gen, best hardware doesn’t mean anything unless you have games to back it.

+ Dubbedinenglish on July 10th, 2007 at 11:18 pm said:

Can’t wait to see this. Break many legs GG!

+ RdotHarry on July 10th, 2007 at 11:21 pm said:

AHHHHHHHHHH KILLZONE, SO [DELETED] EXCITED

+ ckmlb on July 10th, 2007 at 11:23 pm said:

Don’t disappoint us tonight!

+ Slick on July 10th, 2007 at 11:24 pm said:

I’m glad Sony listens to us. Well, they may have had this interview planned from the beginning of all of this….but kudos to them for making it happen after loads of people begging for it.

+ severeon on July 10th, 2007 at 11:26 pm said:

OMG… I need to see what is happening at the Invite Only Conference!

+ EVILEMPIRE951 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:26 pm said:

I heard the game footage lives TO ITS HYPE dont ask me how i know SIMPLy as OMFG KILLZONE ROCKS i knew it would

+ R3Bol2n on July 10th, 2007 at 11:27 pm said:

Look forward to seeing how your hard work has come to fruition. Best of luck and Good Job to everyone at Guerilla Games.

+ Clinton514 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:27 pm said:

Video footage soon please :)

+ fragged_23 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:28 pm said:

need. more. input.

+ haldalish on July 10th, 2007 at 11:28 pm said:

question!

Will we be seeing any info or footage from the invite only event?

+ StormLord on July 10th, 2007 at 11:28 pm said:

demo anytime soon?

+ Septimus on July 10th, 2007 at 11:29 pm said:

We need the Killzone 2 trailer/conference on the store ASAP. Make it happen, Sony.

+ Sartorius on July 10th, 2007 at 11:31 pm said:

Wow – what an incredibly unrevealing interview for what is assuredly the most mouth-watering game of E3 for Sony fans…. I mean, the coolest thing is the eyes of the Helghast?!?! Not the story, gameplay, animations, graphics, innovations, AI, anything?!

Well, nonetheless, I still have faith that this game will be legendary. It HAS to be! Thanks Hermen and team for what I’m sure has been an incredible amount of hard work. I certainly can’t wait to see the results!

+ mckmas8808 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:33 pm said:

Guys you will hear info about Killzone 2 in 90 minutes.

+ gamer812 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:34 pm said:

My goodness. Just waiting for impressions of the Killzone 2 event is just excruciating.

+ limitt_45 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:34 pm said:

more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more………..MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please.

+ chase on July 10th, 2007 at 11:36 pm said:

demo demo demo demo

+ rukusa on July 10th, 2007 at 11:38 pm said:

The game looks awesome! GG you know your stuff, make us happy! :)

Cant wait to see it motion, to be honest this game has a good chance to make Sony extemely proud.

+ Agriel on July 10th, 2007 at 11:39 pm said:

more we need a trailer Killzone trailer yes please

+ AnubisHades on July 10th, 2007 at 11:42 pm said:

i want more footage and lots and lots of video.

+ stennex on July 10th, 2007 at 11:45 pm said:

Will killzone force my PS3 to overheat with all that processing it has to do to run them incredible graphics and physics you put in the game. I cant wait till press conference. Killzone 2 is looking good.

+ Nebo on July 10th, 2007 at 11:48 pm said:

Looking forward to wasting hours on this. I enjoyed Killzone and from screenshots and stuff, it looks very promising.

+ Nootje on July 10th, 2007 at 11:49 pm said:

This game has hype as no other.Never have i seen that when one lousy screenshot of a game gets released it spawns 50+ pages on forums discussing and dissecting it.Holy crap.

This E3 is all about killzone.I cant wait to see the real deal.

Maak ons trots Hermen ;)

+ Chad Fenwick on July 10th, 2007 at 11:50 pm said:

Awesome, can’t wait to see the trailer on my HDTV…

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

+ c7 on July 10th, 2007 at 11:51 pm said:

so when we seeing new content besides this one^?

+ steveW_nl on July 10th, 2007 at 11:52 pm said:

I wanna see the in game Trailer!!! :P

+ vissione on July 10th, 2007 at 11:55 pm said:

I’m ready to [DELETED] myself. Come on Killzone2! I have goosebumps and I haven’t seen anything yet!

+ sigma on July 10th, 2007 at 11:56 pm said:

Really looking forward to seeing the progress they have made. Hope the quality is close to that of the infamous 2005 trailer.

I have high hopes!

+ Krapmaster on July 11th, 2007 at 12:03 am said:

Staying up to see it.

+ EViD on July 11th, 2007 at 12:07 am said:

we want a trailer

+ omegasyde on July 11th, 2007 at 12:07 am said:

I want Multiplayer Details and Release Date PRONTO

+ southwoodS on July 11th, 2007 at 12:13 am said:

I never played the first killzone or the psp killzone (i dont have psp….yet) but i will prolly get this one. The pic looks awsome.

+ lostboy85 on July 11th, 2007 at 12:15 am said:

This is shaping to be something huge.
i cant wait to see it.
(great screenshot, its kinda creepy)

+ CrimsonCalibur on July 11th, 2007 at 12:16 am said:

I cannot wait to see this game in motion. I hope we get in game videos to download!

+ Confucius on July 11th, 2007 at 12:21 am said:

Cool, a lot of people have been waiting for a long time for this.

PAGE 1 2 3 5