PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

We’re Just Getting Started…

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jul 11, 2007 // President & CEO

New Sony PSP
What a week! E3 is always an exciting time of year when we can roll up our sleeves and finally show you what we have planned for the year and beyond. As I’m sure you saw, on Monday we announced we are expanding the purchase options for PS3 by adding a new PS3 model to the market in August with an 80GB HDD. We also were able to engineer some cost savings into hardware production of PS3 and lowered the purchase price of our 60GB model by $100, effective immediately. We feel that is a substantial price reduction and hope if you haven’t purchased a PS3 yet, it will encourage you to do so. You probably also heard that we introduced a new, sleeker PSP; new features for our PlayStation Home service; and, as promised: games, games and more games.

This holiday and fiscal year more than 400 games are coming to PlayStation fans in North America. There will be over 120 PS3 titles including what we’re showing here at E3: Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, The Eye of Judgment, PAIN, Echochrome, SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Confrontation, SingStar and many more. All of those are exclusive to the PS3, and those are the ones just from us. We also showed at our press conference today other exclusives from our third party partners, like Haze, Unreal Tournament 3 and the one you have been commenting so much about on this very blog, Metal Gear Solid 4.

In addition, the PSP will score more than 140 games and PS2 over 160 this year. And, if you didn’t get a chance to see the new Star Wars Battlefront PSP Entertainment Pack, be sure to check out the pictures I’ve included here with this post. The Darth Vader image on the back of the new white PSP is pretty cool, in my opinion.

Our goal right now is simple: to provide you with the most compelling gaming experience possible, and as we are showing here this week, we are well on the way to achieving that goal.

Right now is a good time to reflect and say thank you. Thank you for being passionate members of the video game community and part of the PlayStation family. The best is yet to come.

New Sony PSP: DaxterNew Sony PSP: Star Wars Battle Front

379 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

+ Alpha_89 on July 12th, 2007 at 1:48 am said:

And they had chewbacca :O he rules so dous sony! I want to be huggeld too!

+ cdv_chefkoch on July 12th, 2007 at 1:55 am said:

greetings from germany, great show yesterday. looking for some demos and waiting for the controller with rumble.

+ Gavi on July 12th, 2007 at 2:05 am said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but have you all found the hidden E3 trailers in the store? There are 7 of them, happy hunting.

On a separate note, any news on any more content, demo or two possibly?

+ Arion87 on July 12th, 2007 at 2:26 am said:

Greetings from South Africa!!! Brilliant conference I must say. Just want to ask, will u be releasing the entire press conference on the PS Store soon?

+ KatanaKing on July 12th, 2007 at 2:31 am said:

Amazing, i actually get the idea that Sony management really cares what we, the paying public think. Great work, keep it up, its paying of believe me.

+ datboycam on July 12th, 2007 at 2:45 am said:

Sup everybody! I said and i’ll say it again have patience and it will come and SONY delivered it at E3 and I don’t know what Microsoft and Nintendo was but SONY demolised them we got HAZE , UT, MGS4 , Uncharted , Ratchet . Heveanly Sword , and the one that shut the critics up for good KILLZONE 2. I like the new PSP they have but I already own one but no need i’m going to get God Of War and I can’t wait for those games to hit the shevles. The bashin to us and Sony are over it’s a wrap. CONGRATS SONY

PSP owner since 12/2005
PS3 owner since 1/2007
i’ve couldn’t been more happier!!!!!!!!!

+ Kaze88 on July 12th, 2007 at 2:51 am said:

Have to say that it was the best E3 that ive ever seen!
So many games coming to ps3, while i watched live feed on the konferense i was telling to my self in my mind “Holy crap! So many good games coming from sony and other publishers, i think that i must start eating beans for a half a year so that i can buy all those games that i desire”
Just fantastic work, you guys really naild it. Really stoled the spotlight from M$!!

+ thereapersson on July 12th, 2007 at 2:59 am said:

Great job at E3! You guys really stole the show with all the great announcements and other stuff. However, about the “new” PSP… WTF? I was really expecting something new and revolutionary, but it would seem that you guys didn’t really listen to the fans at all when “re-designing” the system. Where’s the camera supposed to be released in the US? How come there’s no add-on functionality such as a GPS or other useful tool? Most importantly, and the thing that EVERYONE wanted to have implemented in the system, and one that I think would not be far off from being feasible, WHERE IS THE INTERNAL MEMORY? Even if you guys just added 4gb of space, it would have worked immensely in your favor. Just think, that internal memory could be used for many applications, but most of all it would add extra storage so people wouldn’t have to carry around memory sticks at all times! What’s the deal on things? Why must we be treated to “RAZR-itis” and only recieve a *somewhat* slimmer PSP, but for the same price?

+ K on July 12th, 2007 at 3:03 am said:

I can’t believe the media is making it out like Nintendo had the best showing and Sony didn’t do enough. Yes, Sony is behind but that isn’t really relevant to an article about who had the best impact. I don’t think they know E3 is about GAMING, not cashing in on a dumbed down product for the masses. Nintendo had a horrible show as many of their GAMING fans felt disappointed, including me, at the presentation. The whole gaming comes second and money comes first idea is not what fans want to see. I was really pissed off at first about the PS3 but I still got it for the PS2 upscaling. Glad to see ideas have turned around at this company. I could go on, but it would be pointless.

+ chacal81 on July 12th, 2007 at 4:07 am said:

Wow, speechless, wordless.

+ Gavi on July 12th, 2007 at 4:22 am said:

@211, Sony have set their stall out for this year and early 2008. There’s something in there for everybody. It appeals to gamers, just how many gamers are going after that Wii-fit? I’ve seen tons of contraptions like that, but since the mainstream press are all over this, it’ll sell like hot cakes. Amazing to see the press still bashing Sony. For what? Showing games? Give me a break. Don’t worry once Home and the games arrive, they’ll be singing a different tune.

+ cduran02 on July 12th, 2007 at 5:04 am said:

I’ve had a PSP since launch but Im definitely picking one of the new ones up, but Im not really into the branded packages. Is there going to be a pearl white one WITHOUT Darth on the back? If not Ill just get it in Black.

I do have one sugestion though, another improvement. How about including, with ALL PSPs, a copy of Sony’s Media Manager. And to sweeten Media Manager a little more by updating it to support ALL of the PSPs file formats and resolutions.

I would actually be cool, if the Media Manager isn’t included, if Sony would make available a PDF (or hard manual with the PSP) with detailed settings for ALL of the PSPs supported video formats, resolutions, bitrates, etc…It gets frustrating trying to guess the settings. Sure theres a lot of free software that I can use, but they are all generic converters with special profiles that the developer guessed at, its good to have something official.

+ Everaldo-players on July 12th, 2007 at 5:08 am said:

Where is the MMO game Agency in the show? The lack of RPG games announcement (my favorites) leave me sad :(

+ konrad on July 12th, 2007 at 5:12 am said:

Great conference. I tuned in from Sweden last night. I would say Sony had the best conference of them all. Killzone2 delivered what I expected from a pre-pre-alpha build. I would like to know more about Africa, 8 Days, and The Getaway.
This blog is really great, and thanks for keeping it updated!

+ TheDevilsJoker on July 12th, 2007 at 5:34 am said:

To Everaldo-players

+ deadxbabiesxinc on July 12th, 2007 at 5:53 am said:

All I gotta say to everyone bashing on the PS3 right now….”Rome wasnt built in a day”

+ mustaphadamus on July 12th, 2007 at 5:55 am said:

Jack congrats on a successful E3 conference and I hope this is a sign of greater things to come!

+ HanSolo on July 12th, 2007 at 6:26 am said:

MR TRETTON, can i call you jack??

you were the best, i hope from now on you will be the main voice for sony at conferences, sincere and down to earth , gamers love you!

sony and you had the best e3 ever, what you ( sony ) showed was just amazing, im starting to save now for all those games and the new redesigned psp

sony this year was all about the games and no charts or spinning numbers or lies, like the other 2 competitors

once again, thanks and keep it up, i want to see more of you at sony conferences, i trust you

+ TheDevilsJoker on July 12th, 2007 at 6:40 am said:

Peter Moore: Xbox360 is the most powerfull console out there

2 hours later: Killzone blows it out the water. Funny stuff.

+ chrisrhahosiris on July 12th, 2007 at 7:12 am said:

I am very satisfied with this E3. I was impressed by all of the games and announcements. I will be picking up a new PSP, I just have to decide which color I want. lol. Looking forward to future announcements and TGS. This was honestly the best E3 that I’ve seen ever.

+ thechosenfew88 on July 12th, 2007 at 7:20 am said:

Just voted on a poll IGN is doing on who will win E3. And Sony so far is in the 60% range, while microsoft lacks in the 20′s and Nintendo just over 10. This is what Sony really needed, a strong E3 presentation to get everyone pumped up this year, and next year. Sony will dominate once again this generation. No doubt about that. The Wii has had a wonderful start, but its time for PS3 to take over now. Sorry Nintendo!!! LOL.

+ Everaldo-players on July 12th, 2007 at 7:25 am said:

[quote]To Everaldo-players

You do know they announced partnership with NC that made guild wars and city of heros, and are making games exclusivly for PS3, and Infamous. Theres at least 2 new ones announced right there[/quote]
Sure. But, I want japanese style rpgs. Ah, and a new God of War for PS3 too :)

+ nOObert on July 12th, 2007 at 7:28 am said:

really nice press conference i had the chance to watch it live ^^ (I didn’t plan to watch it it was like a coincidence:D)

But I missed one thing…
what about the ps3 price cut in the PAL teritorries? I thought we will hear something about it from the press conference. I think sony should make a statement cause people like me won’t buy a ps3 until we hear something about your price cut plans. So I’m looking forward to hear about your strategy for us PALies :D

+ Farhad91 on July 12th, 2007 at 7:35 am said:

I hope the conference is coming to the PSN. That would be awesome if you guys could add it there!

yeah please do that

+ Fersis on July 12th, 2007 at 7:37 am said:

Cheers for the conference , a lot of great news
Specially MGS4 exclusive.
And the re-enginering of the unreal 3 engine , it is great for the developers who are afraid of CEL (Epic too is affraid of CELL)

+ stennex on July 12th, 2007 at 7:37 am said:

@TheDevilsJoker
Very funny Very true.

Geoff Keighley was hosting G4tv yesterday and badgering Jack about price behaving as its easy to just drop the price of the PS3 the most powerful of the three. He behaved like a spoiled brat but had to admit just at the end that Killzone can only be done on PS3 .

I think in some ways Microsoft is intimidating these game journalists, knightly even admitted that Moore was bothering him when he was going to see Killzone 2 the night before. Sounds like Micro is getting desparate.

But E3 proves that PS3 is here to stay.

+ JDPoZ on July 12th, 2007 at 7:44 am said:

Some of us were pretty happy with Sony’s press conference at this year’s E3. Others, like myself, felt they could have done better. Here’s 10 things that would have made for Sony’s perfect E3:

1. PSP2 announced instead of PSPSlim. It has 20 gb of memory built in along with a slot for a memory card and a second analog stick and a rumble feature. It comes bundled with PC/Mac software that allows you to rip any PS1 or PS2 game to the system’s built-in memory.

2. Sixaxis with new, more advanced, more powerful rumble announced to be available starting next month.

3. Square Enix announces plan to recreate Final Fantasy VII on the PS3 and shows a trailer as well as a TRUE Dragon Quest game on the PS3.

4. The ICO / Shadow of the Colossus teams announces their new project and shows trailer.

5. Sony announces that starting today, 1000 PS1 titles, including ones that were never brought to the US (that have been translated, of course) will be downloadable from the PS Store and playable both on PS3 and the PSP. In addition, if you have a virtual memory card with a save file for one of these games, it will work with the downloaded game as well. Each game is $5, but there are special “packages” of games you can download for a discount… say, like all the PS1 Final Fantasy games (7,8,9, Tactics, Chronicles, Origins, and a bonus Chocobo Racing) for $30. Also, the games have at least one big improvement to each, such as no loading time, or improved graphics.

6. Konami and Sony put a playable demo of MGS4 on the PS Store.

7. Home is announced to have been redesigned by some team members who worked on GTA: San Andreas and Crackdown on the 360, and now allows for the same level of freedom except online. You have your own customizable car, can physically walk into other places like people’s houses, you can work out and improve your character’s appearance and abilities such as being able to jump super high or run really fast or even eventually fly. There are NPCs that you can talk to and buildings for individual game companies that tell you about their game, and give you virtual schwag for showing up, like a hat or shirt. You can even do things to earn real credits to use on the PS Store to buy real items like game downloads… Even a virtual E3 convention center with streaming video of the real conference.

8. Sony announces that starting today over 1000 high definition (1080p) full-length movie downloads from Sony Pictures and other partners will be available for purchase on the PS store to PERMANENTLY (unlike Xbox’s stupid rental service) own on your PS3. They can be converted on your PS3 then to be put on your PSP if you like, using the PS3′s new built-in video encoding system.

9. Version 2.0 firmware is announced and becomes available immediately for the PS3. It allows full XMB access during any activity, as well as custom soundtracks, and the ability to voice and video chat while doing other things like surfing the internet and playing a game. It also adds upscaling and smoothing to all PS3 games so that 720p games like Resistance and Motorstorm are upscaled and improved a bit for 1080p TVs. Speaking of Resistance, they add a downloadable update that allows for online co-op for the campaign mode, as well as new missions for it… oh, and they fix Motorstorm so that it doesn’t take 15 seconds for a vehicle to load, and the vehicles get a store to upgrade stuff… and they add a track editor.

10. An open Beta for LittleBigPlanet is announced to be starting today. Everyone is allowed to try it out and upload 3 levels per day.

I know, I know… dream on right? Well… What’s YOUR perfect Sony E3?

+ Ciscorucinski on July 12th, 2007 at 8:04 am said:

@ 220

love the beginning of your post.

@ 231

This is my first E3 that I followed, at least as good as dialup can, and I believe that Sony hit it on the bull’s eye (maybe not directly in the middle, but in that area)

like I told you (Jack) on a previous post, you did amazing. I don’t know how much more can be announced, but according to the title (We’re Just Getting Started…) I can’t wait. Also, like I said in that other post, hopefully you can blog/post more often.

+ Sidewinder on July 12th, 2007 at 8:08 am said:

First I have to say that I liked the press conference a lot more than the last one, it was more “humble”.

You said there is more to come…when will you show us the rest of the first party games, can we expect some real news at TGS 07?

What about AFRIKA? I’d really like to read some news about or see some screens, heck we don’t even know what it is all about.

Finally, when can we expect to have a first look at the new ICO-Team project?

Greetings

+ brettjr25 on July 12th, 2007 at 8:14 am said:

I need to know if the speaker jacks and plug ports are the same distant apart.

Will this work in my React Sound Speaker set???????

+ PSheddy on July 12th, 2007 at 8:18 am said:

Thanks for chiming in here Jack, great show yesterday. I’m happy I bought my PS3 on release date, and I’m pumped about its future.

I just have one question. Any news on firmware updates with in game XMB access and the other things mentioned on the blog?

Great E3, I’ll be picking up that new PSP too! Thanks for the games!

+ Insane_Rooster on July 12th, 2007 at 8:28 am said:

I love Sony’s new image! It was great how you made fun of yourself (The riiiidge racer joke was great!), as well as showing some more honesty and humility. Sony doesn’t equal smug anymore, and I like it!

What I don’t like is that the gamers in Europe doesn’t seem to get the same treatment as the gamers in US. When Microsoft releases the E3 trailers and demos, they do so globally at the same time.

Sony on the other hand just releases the content in the US. I was a little bit surprised about this. I though Sony would at least be equal to Microsoft in this regard, or even do better! Being in Europe, you always feel like you don’t matter.

+ Sidewinder on July 12th, 2007 at 8:35 am said:

@ 236

I agree totally!

But hey, we got the time trial mode for Motorstorm earlier than the US ;-)

+ Nismobeach on July 12th, 2007 at 8:43 am said:

Great job on owning Microsoft and Nintendo at E3. I have 110% confidence in the PS3 and won’t hesitate in recommending it to others.

Keep up the good work and take comfort in knowing that you have successfully earned this customer’s continued business.

+ UltimateNinja9 on July 12th, 2007 at 8:48 am said:

When are you gonna announce the new KIXAXIS controller?

+ PS3_123106 on July 12th, 2007 at 9:04 am said:

I like my PSP the way it is, good redesign though. Congrats on an excellent E3 presentation, that Riiiigde Racer joke split my sides. Now how about the SixaxiS rumble?

+ Kraken on July 12th, 2007 at 9:15 am said:

Great E3 Sony. You kicked some butt there. Lot’s of cool stuff. I’m a happy PS3 owner.

I have 1 thing I’d like you to work on. It seems Europe always is your last priority, and I mean always.

Europe is your most loyal territory yet still you give us all the content, hardware, games etc. last.

The EU PSN i much slower to browse than the US one, why?

The content on the EU PSN is really low compared to the US one, why?

The price of the PS3 in EU is miles more expensive than i JP and US, why?

So the 1 thing you need to do is show EU some respect and pour some honey on us also.

Other than that, great going Sony. Kick ass E3.

+ thechosenfew88 on July 12th, 2007 at 9:19 am said:

I have confidence in knowing that Sony is headed toward the right direction. Ever since the PS3 price dropped, the PS3 has been marked number 1 in sales on Amazon.com up to this date. Many were expecting it would die off, but it seems as if the price drop has been very effective to many, in deciding to purchase a PS3.(Though we do have to see if it lasts more than a week.) The Blu-Ray remote doesn’t stay behind being in second. And for quite some time, the PS2 even managed to take Wii’s position,(but now they switched places again..) After this year’s E3, we can all say that Sony showed off a promising future, and nothing but a great gaming experience is headed our way.

I would like to thank all at Sony for giving us a machine of pure quality, with nothing but quality games coming in the near future. I am sure Sony will once again take the dominant position this generation as hype will eventually fad for the Wii, and 360′s continuing to fail. I choose wisely in what I buy, and the PS3 will be a great investment for me, and my family. Great job Sony!

-The Chosen Few-

+ Malpractice on July 12th, 2007 at 9:21 am said:

I hope to see a standalone release of the new PSP. I would rather not buy a bundle.

+ 2ndPSP on July 12th, 2007 at 9:42 am said:

I didn’t see the E3. honestly I couldn’t care less what they’ve got coming up (besides new games) a new PSP Isn’t going to do me squat. I just want them to release the digital camera an the GPS adaptors for PSP, the one I have now not a new one, seriously the camera came out in Japan last december, and It’s already out in Europe. If they don’t release it soon I’m gonna give up and buy a regular digital camera.

+ SteveW62 on July 12th, 2007 at 9:43 am said:

Mr. Tentton, do we really have to wait till fall for the Open Home Beta?

+ Sixpack3 on July 12th, 2007 at 9:52 am said:

Watching the whole conference live was a very fun and entertaining experience, i loved when chewbacca and kojima-san showed up on stage, two of my greatest heroes :) ! I love how home, killzone and all the other great games are turning out, really excited about them! The conference was great, and i think almost everyone who watched it agrees on this.

Great job sony-crew on showing why everyone should get a ps3!

+ REZBLUE on July 12th, 2007 at 10:06 am said:

Sony did a great job at this years conference. Definatly enjoyed the riiidge racer joke.

So many awesome games coming out from now till December.

cant wait.

+ Solace on July 12th, 2007 at 10:37 am said:

i gotta laugh at all these “PSP slim is a letdown” comments. seriously, everyone who’s complaining is saying stuff like “oh, they should’ve added GPS, internal memory” blahblahblah, but if they had, they’d also have to raise the cost of the system too which would’ve just po’d people even more.
seriously, some people just won’t be happy till they can have everything for free, and even then, they’ll probably find something to complain about.
star wars psp for $199 with video out? they had me at “wookie”…

+ DarkCloudLives on July 12th, 2007 at 10:37 am said:

Anyone have a list of those 420 games being released between now and September 2008?

+ ahh bisto on July 12th, 2007 at 10:42 am said:

@kracken, your right! why is europe always last to get everything yet we pay more than the rest of the world for our games and consoles?? i seems very unfair.

it feels like you are just sat laughing at us while we wait like idiots for stuff that jap and us get long before us, then you laugh even harder once you see us paying more for games/consoles… i feel like we are having the pi$$ taken out of us and it makes me very angry.

+ roadclimber on July 12th, 2007 at 10:43 am said:

I think everyone would’ve loved to have seen a new psp with internal memory and a second controller but i can see why Sony wouldn’t go through with these things.
If the new psp was a significant leap forward from the original model then you’d get a lot of grief from your already established psp fanbase. Nobody wants to feel like they have to perpetually buy a new product every couple of years as major innovations are added.
Also the 2nd controller would have a hard time integrating with all those preexisting games which don’t support it. I imagine Sony is doing some nice business with their sales of mem sticks so i think they’d prefer to just continue to increase the size of those rather than throw some internal memory in there.

The differences for the new psp are nice but there’s nothing so revolutionary that i feel i MUST purchase a new one. ACtually the prime motivating factor for me to buy a new one would be homebrew. If i have 2 of them, one of them will definitely be running all those VERY useful programs. I find it a shame Sony hasn’t shown any interest in mirroring some of the apps people have come up with.

As to the ps3? a lot of nice trailers.. I’m blown away by Littlebigplanet. Generally i avoid more kiddish games but this looks incredible. The Create trailer showed how easily expandable the game is.

As to exclusives? I think the word is getting kicked around a lot and it’s starting to lose its meaning. a 6mth delay is no problem for a Sony fan :) and usually the end product is more polished. Genuine exclusives make me feel justified for buying a system (Lair, Littlebigplanet, Warhawk) or make me feel like i’m missing out (Lost Planet, Gears of War, Dead rising). But more and more game companies are probably going to go for the wider market of multi platform releases. So in the end it’ll come down to the console itself.. and whether or not it can play games flawlessly or crash and freeze when demands are placed on the system. Who wants to place bets as to Halo 3 being the bricking game of 2007? :)

+ robcam73 on July 12th, 2007 at 10:47 am said:

Sony! Please do not screw us over in UK tomorrow by NOT announcing a price cut. We already pay more then £150 more for your console than people in the US.
We need to pay £350 for this, at the most.

+ SWANN on July 12th, 2007 at 10:59 am said:

I think that I speak for everyone here, including myself: I just wanted give you guys at Sony a very hearty THANK YOU! for listening to us on keeping Metal Gear Solid: 4 a PS3 exclusive. Everyone there at Sony saw the significance in keeping this game purely for us to enjoy.

The last thing I wanted to see was Peter Moore dancing around on stage like the idiot that he is saying that he secured MGS: 4. Hideo stuck to his guns and knows a thing or 2 about loyalty to the company that helped him achieve his dream. I’m the same way. I have a strong loyalty to Sony that has never wavered and never will.

For all the electronics I have purchased throughout the years with you name on it and 3 Playstation consoles that I’ve been enjoying since day 1 (and am planning on getting the PSP soon) I can truly say that I’m happy with my PS3 and will continue to buy any more Playstations as they are released.

Again I just wanted to say thank you for not letting us down and congratulations on an incredible show yesterday afternoon.

+ aaquib on July 12th, 2007 at 11:01 am said:

Sony:

Can we get the E3 press conference on the Playstation Store?

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 8