Minecraft PS4

Firmware 1.90 Coming Soon

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jul 23, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

UPDATE: The Firmware 1.90 update is available now; I’ve also included an update below that addresses some of your comments here.

Firmware 1.90 brings with it several new features, many of which readers of this blog have requested – I’m happy to report.

Customization is one new feature: you can now personalize the wallpaper on your XMB with a photo. This was one of the top three requests we received via the blog’s contact form. When viewing a photo, simply bring up the options screen by pressing the triangle button and selecting “set as wallpaper” from the options displayed. Additionally, you can now change the order of the games displayed under the game icon on the XMB.

Another new feature focuses on added communication elements: When you’re sending messages to friends on PLAYSTATION Network, you can now use emoticons. We’ve added a bunch of emoticons that can be easily accessed from the virtual keyboard. Also, another cool addition is, when an avatar is displayed during voice/video chat, the avatar will move in response to audio.

Finally, on the more technical side, you can now play AVCHD videos saved on a Memory Stick or digital video camera, and we’ve added the ability to upscale audio CD output from your PS3. Now, there are two requirements for this feature: the device you’re outputting to must support a sampling frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz, and your PS3 must be connected to that device with an HDMI cable or digital optical cable.

Oh, and one more thing: you can now eject discs using your controller by selecting “Eject Disc” in the options menu after you push the PS button.

Several other minor options will be included in 1.90 including a few new display options that will allow you to adjust your display while playing PlayStation, PlayStation2 and Blu-ray movies.

We’re working on additional features for our next update that will incorporate more of your feedback, so as always thanks for all of your support, and please keep those suggestions coming!

[UPDATE]
The link on the SCEA website is now live, you can get the full info on firmware 1.90 here. Also, I noticed a lot of your comments were directly related to accessing XMB features in-game. We understand this is something you want and we are working on it. For the sake of keeping all the comments below on topic, please understand that we hear this request and are working toward a solution. When I have some more info to share on this, know that I will do so here on this blog.

Now, with all of that said, thanks for the feedback. I decided to address some of the consistent comments in the body of this post instead of within the comments. One thing you have noticed is that under sorting your games, when you sort by creation date, it sorts by the date you downloaded the content. Sorting videos is done by the date that the videos were added to your hard drive. You can also ‘go-to’ a specific time in any of the videos on your HDD, by hitting triangle and then selecting the specific time from the clock at the bottom.

Something a few of you have noticed as well is that you don’t need to have the SIXAXIS controller connected to PS3 through the USB cable anymore to complete the update, which I know is something some of you were asking for.

903 Comments

PAGE 1 16 17 18 19

+ dacobra786 on August 15th, 2007 at 9:55 pm said:

have more wall-poster varaties, IM massanger, home avatars more exciting…..i duuno how though, more formats flexiablity with video, and audio more demos if possible

+ jpnn80 on August 15th, 2007 at 11:34 pm said:

A lot of people loved the addition of the upscale option for dvd. One more feature which would make the ps3 closer to being the ultimate dvd player, would be the support of PAL broadcast standard dvds. For instance this would allow ps3 owners to play dvds of foreign friends who recorded their holidays from a camera.
An idea would be to convert the picture from PAL 50hz into NTSC 60hz for it to be compatible with tv systems in america. PC softwares even easily display both NTSC and PAL dvds on a monitor, so why not the ps3, especially given its powerful processor?

+ nanomiles on August 16th, 2007 at 1:35 am said:

Has anyone noticed that shuffling photos is no longer a feature. It was when I first got my PS3, but with concurrent updates, it got removed. I would really like to know why and could we have it back please? Also when you’re trying to rename tracks that have been imported, there is no option for multiple track edit (for when you’d like to edit album title for instance on multiple tracks).

+ Bladenhell on August 16th, 2007 at 12:21 pm said:

Perfecto, siempre es bueno mejorar el rendimiento del software, ojala sigan sacando mas y mejores ideas de como mejorarlo.

+ JayTeeOliver on August 16th, 2007 at 2:33 pm said:

I must commend Sony for their updates thus far but some important things still arent being addressed;
1. Full Bluetooth capability , like the ability to transfer data and pics etc.
from my phone to my p3 or vice versa

2. the lack of an up 2 date web browser
on a nex gen system

3. the in game xmb

4 the PSN Prepaid cards

and the list goes on and on
i thought sonys goal was 2 make the ps3 the most sought after device ever but many things are still lacking. Anyway, keep up the good work and i thought of an idea, it would be awsome if on the psn store we could download Darkstalkers for ps1 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 for ps2 since those games are impossible 2 find and are like the best fricken fighting games ever.
Also, id like if i could cut off the annoying sounds made by the ps3 at start up or at least customize it.
Morover, it would be nice if i could turn off the hints that pop up in firmware 1.9 since like most ps3 owners i already kno how 2 operate my system

thx a mill sony and keep up the good work

+ RicardoG on August 16th, 2007 at 4:15 pm said:

There is one thing that you guys should put in the next update, the option to use the 720p by default when you are in the menu even if your TV supports 1080i or 1080p.
If I use 720p the game won’t detect that I have 1080i avalable.
I hope that this makes sense…oh and anti-aliasing for PS2 or PS1 games.

+ 1777primus on August 16th, 2007 at 5:09 pm said:

make so i can play music in the game like xb0x has

+ DandyHighwayman on August 17th, 2007 at 2:16 am said:

Please add the ability to have surround sound from media played from an external device (hard drive, memory stick, etc). I use my PS3 as a DVD player and when I am authoring my own DVDs, I like to check my surround sound mix and it is a pain to have to keep burning DVDs to check it when I could just dump them to another device. Please add this!

+ Arachnid on August 17th, 2007 at 8:38 am said:

you kno what, i kno that sony is the best and all that but …thing is i dont think that they will read of this. sheesh i came real late to say what i would suggest for the next firmware up date. i mean every one has alot to say, even me. but the thing sony should do is have a post on when they can actually startv distributing the updates.

+ Gotchaa on August 19th, 2007 at 5:22 am said:

PLAYING BACK 5.1 audio on AVCHD .M2TS FILES ON PS3:

It would be great if you would allow the playback of 5.1 audio with AVCHD formatted m2ts files on the PS3. Using Sony HDR-SR8 files, the PS3 currently only plays back DD 2.0, it does not playback all 5.1 channels. I would think we should also be able to stream the files or attach an external hard drive and the PS3 should be able to play the raw M2TS file natively with the 5.1 audio track. I’ve loaded the file up in Vegas and can see all 6 audio channels there, but the PS3 currently will only playback 2 channel stereo!

Please fix this!

+ Spidersprog on August 20th, 2007 at 5:34 am said:

The ability to start remote play when the PS3 is in standby.

Leaving the PS3 in Remote play standby mode just incase you may want to access you’r media when you’r out isn’t really the best.

It would be much better if you could remotly start a remote play session when the PS3 is in sytstem standby.

This would save power (used by the PS3) and battery life on the controller since you cant turn the controller of once remote play standby is activated (as far as i know)

+ Spidersprog on August 20th, 2007 at 5:37 am said:

I think that clarifies PhDFatty’s point

+ deepsleo on August 20th, 2007 at 8:47 am said:

I would like to see the search option such as one found in creative zen, it helps when you have thousands of songs and you need to play one immediatley, also can we expect more video codes to be compatible with PS3 ( divx, vob….). If we want to see PS3 as a multimedia hub, we need to fill all those small little gaps that cud someway or the other hinder the objective.

+ naughtyco on August 20th, 2007 at 9:25 am said:

So are these suggestions or complaints that everyone has been making?

+ xplosneer on August 20th, 2007 at 10:54 am said:

Spidersprog
You do know that the Remote Play puts the PS3 in a low power state and if you left it like that it would cost you $2 a month?

But I would like to see a merger of Remote Play and Folding@home.

+ AK47Beast on August 20th, 2007 at 4:57 pm said:

I find it weird that sony hasn’t worked something out with Apple so that the iPod will be reconizabe and usable on the PS3. Wasn’t part of the PS3 made with Apple? Shouldn’t the iPod work? Please fix that. I know that you can use the triangle/show all files thing, but it is annoying! Thanks

+ jrserve on August 21st, 2007 at 4:28 am said:

I want to see in the next update is xmb in game and the possebilty to play al video’s in a row it very irrtating to go back to the xmb

+ Nitsu on August 21st, 2007 at 11:15 am said:

Please add Custom in-game abilities to listen to our own music! I also asthetically think that alowing us to change the color of the “PS3″ wave to whatever we want instead of monthly change would be awesome! And tun on/off the time of day change, I play mostly in the evening and I dont even get to see the colors… its black cause’ its night time. Thanks Sony!

+ F-minus on August 22nd, 2007 at 8:05 am said:

UPDATE 2.0 should include this very SIMPLE IDEA ive had, hopefully someone sees my post down here: Adding a “Sleep Timer” like my TV, stereo, dvd player (although i use only my PS3 for that)…but watching a movie late at night when i know i will fall asleep in less than a hour, it would be nice to have my PS3 turn off like my TV and stereo…anyways just a thought a “SLEEP TIMER” -Thanks

+ RicardoG on August 22nd, 2007 at 11:03 am said: