Far Cry 4

New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3

Michael Shorrock's Avatar + Posted by Michael Shorrock on Jul 27, 2007 // Director of 3rd Party Relations, SCEA

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

365 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ Kamahl on July 28th, 2007 at 12:08 am said:

that’s very good!!! Rockstar games + Exclusive = win

Anyway, if we are not talking about LA Noire, is LA Noire going to be multiplatform or exclusive?

+ Slick on July 28th, 2007 at 12:08 am said:

Now THIS is the kind of stuff we want to hear about from our 3rd party relations! I’m sure, based on Rockstar’s other works, that this new franchise will be a must have for PS3 owners. We all love GTA, but it can only be stretched but soo far, so I’m pretty excited about something completely new.

+ Voozi on July 28th, 2007 at 12:10 am said:

nice job! I really hope its going to be a hit like the GTA series was

+ ps3mods.blogspot.com on July 28th, 2007 at 12:10 am said:

Any exclusive franchise from RockStar is great! GTA and Bully rock.

+ Kamahl on July 28th, 2007 at 12:12 am said:

yeah, i think there’s no bad game by Rockstar…

Bully
The Warriors
GTA
Midnight Club

they are all great

+ EvoAnubis on July 28th, 2007 at 12:13 am said:

Awesome news. Great damn news!

+ Slick on July 28th, 2007 at 12:16 am said:

Oh, and I’m glad to see that someone in Rockstar actually felt the same way as many of us do. GTA4 looks amazing, and it’s a certain purchase for me….but I will always be left wondering how it COULD have been had it been made from the ground up to take advantage of the PS3’s capabilities.

When things are strung across multiple platforms, you have to tend to the lowest common denominator. The 360’s lack of an internal hard drive and use of stardard DVD’s for storage make it thus. I was worried about situations like this when I first heard how different the two consols were going to be.

So kudos to the folks at Rockstar who acknoledges the fact that they can make a better game by keeping it exclusive to the PS3. This kinda won my trust back to Rockstar that they lost ever since the infamous “tattoo” from a couple E3’s ago….

+ Queso on July 28th, 2007 at 12:17 am said:

cool news but…….
why not make gtaIV as bad ass as it could’ve been by making it a ps3 exclusive?
and totaly off topic but how about the idea of being able to spend points you make F@H a type of currency in @home?

+ EvoAnubis on July 28th, 2007 at 12:18 am said:

Hey, any word on the Manhunt 2 situation? I think that the time has come for Sony to start allowing AO games on this platform. We gamers who were playing Super Mario Brother and Zelda have grown up. Isn’t it time that gaming grew up with us?

+ Thunderstruck on July 28th, 2007 at 12:19 am said:

I hope its not Table Tennis. :-D

+ Slick on July 28th, 2007 at 12:22 am said:

@EvoAnubis

I don’t want to keep this off topic much longer…..but I have to agree with you. Sony has always stated that they tend to all audiences, and that gamers are growing up. If the average core gamer these days is around 30, then what hurt would it be to allow an AO game??

I’d put my money on it that it’ll do very well mearly on the fact that it’s the first and only AO game for the PS3…

+ DrFurbs on July 28th, 2007 at 12:29 am said:

No shoddy 3rd party crap please, support them to make an outstanding product!

best wishes.

+ DarKaoZ on July 28th, 2007 at 12:34 am said:

Well this is a great step from you guys at Sony, keep that spirit up, I know you guys can have more exclusive if you want to, sucks that GTA IV is getting downloadable content only on the 360, but who cares we get the same package for the same price, they need to pay more to get that exclusive content.

Anyways, hope you guys can keep supporting the 3rd parties, because remember, the 3rd parties exclusive is what they make the ultimate decision on getting a certain console.

+ dagundam on July 28th, 2007 at 12:37 am said:

This is just great news.

Rockstar’s games are ususaly worth taking a look at at least. (and of course the Grand Theft Auto that changed all).

This is just great to hear and i agree with the post. Maybe for one reason or another it can’t be helped that GTA4 is multiplatform. Just cuz it’s in Rockstar’s best interest, etc. But starting a totally new franchise with a whole lot of potential for the future.. that’s great.

+ lostboy85 on July 28th, 2007 at 12:39 am said:

I hope its good =)
i havent been a fan of any of their recent games.

+ Agriel on July 28th, 2007 at 12:40 am said:

awesome!! can’t wait to hear more

+ gruntuh on July 28th, 2007 at 12:41 am said:

It could be that western game that we saw a demo of a few years ago…

+ Beyond8D on July 28th, 2007 at 12:45 am said:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

I hope that it is better than gta4

Sorry about my english.

+ BazC on July 28th, 2007 at 12:46 am said:

Here’s hoping for something really unique

+ Ultima-Bahamut on July 28th, 2007 at 12:46 am said:

Hope it’s good. Can you guys tell us if it is a game we have seen before?

+ Globox82 on July 28th, 2007 at 12:47 am said:

Well if blue ray and standard HDD are reasons, than game must be massive. We will see.
I am not GTA fan but this is nice move from Sony.

+ RushBD on July 28th, 2007 at 12:59 am said:

nice . wonder what kind of game will it be

+ Ultima-Bahamut on July 28th, 2007 at 1:01 am said:

I would really like to know if it’s that Unnamed Western game that was shown at E3 ’05. :)

+ Kaze88 on July 28th, 2007 at 1:03 am said:

Cool, i was a little worried when we totally lost the extra content on the GTA4.
Still im going to buy the GTA4, those games have always been filled with new stuff and missions more than other games. On ps3 we lose the extra missions but no can do, next Rockstar game will be exclusive to ps3…Sweet!

+ Darsh on July 28th, 2007 at 1:05 am said:

The cynic in me says you really should have tried to keep GTA 4 exclusive instead of getting an exclusive unknown, unproven IP. Talking strictly business of course.

The optimist in me will remain…optimistic that it turns out to be something pretty cool.

+ Shiloa on July 28th, 2007 at 1:07 am said:

New game > extra content

Hopefully anyway. It’ll be good to see what will come of this. Though, it might be a racing game I guess and that would suck.

+ Cagalli on July 28th, 2007 at 1:27 am said:

LA Noire is being partially funded by SCE (Team Bondi), so I’m pretty sure it’s exclusive.

+ DeejayKnight on July 28th, 2007 at 1:38 am said:

This is just awesome…

I can’t wait to hear more news on this one. Rockstar is high on my “Devs to buy games from immediately” list, so this just makes my recent PS3 purchase all that much sweeter!

+ resistance100 on July 28th, 2007 at 1:40 am said:

Rockstar + Exclusive = EPIC WIN

This more than makes up for losing DLC.

Lets just hope R* keep up there record of creating top titles

+ shadowillusions on July 28th, 2007 at 1:41 am said:

great news, i hope it something like GTA!

+ DevilWillcry on July 28th, 2007 at 1:44 am said:

Red Dead Revolver 2!!!!

or

maybe an all new original IP? hmm….. what could it be?

+ tobi on July 28th, 2007 at 1:45 am said:

welcome news

+ Evolution54 on July 28th, 2007 at 2:03 am said:

This is the best news I have read all day!

Go Rockstar + Sony!

+ Grym on July 28th, 2007 at 2:06 am said:

Meh. Now we have to wait to hear what kind of game it is. :p

Anyhow I am excited.

+ raiin on July 28th, 2007 at 2:09 am said:

good news…excited to hear more…thank you sony

+ Ghostm on July 28th, 2007 at 2:20 am said:

HMMMMMM…
This announcement really makes me wonder. Other then the GTA series RockStar’s record have been pretty mediocre. I don’t mean to be pessimistic but I’m not one to get excited about something unknown. 50/50 at this point. This is good news an all, but damn Sony! You’re telling us, the cosumer that we are going to get an exclusive game that will most likely take 2 years to develop. tic toc tic toc tic toc…So, do we get excited now? Or wait? This is a bit crazy! More waiting for games. People are not happy with a $600 console sitting in their livingroom without any AAA titles. Waiting 2 years for a new IP is a long time.

“Threw in the towel about the GTA4 DLC huh?”

I really hope not. If you guys at Sony doesn’t take any action toward MS’ DLC for GTA4. Then don’t expect to see an increase in your hardware sales when GTA4 is release… :\

MS’ pockets are truly deep. They manage to put RockStar in a bind where they are not allowed to take full advantage of the cell processor nor the blu ray. What a dilemma!!! This was supposed to be a PS3 exclusive at first.
Something is telling that 360 is the lead machine for GTA4. >_

+ dreamkin on July 28th, 2007 at 2:55 am said:

I wonder if this is that western theme game they showed back in E3 2005. Anyone remember that?

@39

Rockstar’s track record is mediocre? They have invented Lemmings. Back then it was one of the biggest hits ever.

+ thereapersson on July 28th, 2007 at 2:58 am said:

@39

You are a moron. Rockstar has made some damn enjoyable games over the years, and simply because you didn’t like any of them doesn’t mean they have a “bad track record”. Smugglers Run games, Midnight Club games, Manhunt Games, GTA games…

The list could go on and on

+ StormLord on July 28th, 2007 at 3:01 am said:

Could be good news, if it doesn’t backfire with a flop game. I wonder how much money Sony has paid for this exclusive even though Jack said they don’t pay for exclusives?

+ KatanaKing on July 28th, 2007 at 3:19 am said:

Great news, i new R* would not let PS fans down. Now when will we be hearing something about the game??

+ Xater on July 28th, 2007 at 3:19 am said:

I would be more excited if there were anything substantial ro rhe announcement.

+ XcoM on July 28th, 2007 at 3:30 am said:

Hell Yeah! This is far better than DLC! You definitely out-did yourselves Sony! Cheers!

+ zapruder on July 28th, 2007 at 3:42 am said:

what Sony needs to ocus on is Pre Paid PSN card in Europe and the US I don’t care about the extra content for the Xbox I can’t buy ANY extra content… PLEASE Sony give us pre paid CREDIT !!!

+ aaquib on July 28th, 2007 at 4:05 am said:

Nice! Great job Sony! Rockstar is my favourite developer. I’ve never bought a crappy game from them. Thanks Sony! This game will be amazing, and we dont have to be set back by an inferior console :)

+ Finalsquall on July 28th, 2007 at 4:14 am said:

I now hear the silent cries of MS Fanboys… Time to come back home boys :D

+ willow on July 28th, 2007 at 4:54 am said:

Rockstar is great, but everything goes in cycles. Lets hope they can stay at their peak and keep producing fresh and innovative stuff. They got some serious competition for being top dog. eg Little Big Planet

+ tuaamin13 on July 28th, 2007 at 5:14 am said:

You know, a fresh IP out of Rockstar is probably exactly what Sony needs. I mean, I’ve played GTA3, liked it, thought the features in Vice City were enjoyable (buying up property etc), but then I totally hated San Andreas. Even if I bought GTA4 (which I don’t really plan on it. There’s a limit on how much you can change the GTA games), they would have to reinvent the wheel for me to buy the DLC.

@Everyone complaining about the wait.
This thing is going to be built to use as much of the power of the PS3 as they can, meaning it’s going to be a second gen PS3 title. Just like how the first gen PS2 games didn’t look that great, FFX came out and blew everyone out of the water. This title might be one of those to make everyone go “OMG!”

Nice move Sony!

+ thereapersson on July 28th, 2007 at 5:17 am said:

Now what Sony REALLY needs to do is hurry up and allow Rockstar to release Manhunt 2 on the Playstation 2. If they did that, they could steal some thunder away from the Wii by saying “The only place you can play Manhunt 2 is on Sony hardware”, or at least until Nintendo goes ahead and greenlights an AO game on their system (probably would never happen).

WE WANT MANHUNT 2

+ Karamo on July 28th, 2007 at 5:25 am said:

This is great, this is why i been sticking to sony platform primarely

+ Braveheart07 on July 28th, 2007 at 5:26 am said:

Nice one sony this should happen more often, the ps3 should be seen to be different and better than the rest instead of companys just porting the same game from 360 to ps3.

We want to be different sony, show them what this console is capable of.

PAGE 1 2 3 6