Far Cry 4

New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3

Michael Shorrock's Avatar + Posted by Michael Shorrock on Jul 27, 2007 // Director of 3rd Party Relations, SCEA

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

365 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ krazykris on July 28th, 2007 at 5:26 am said:

Now this is awesome, and here was me thinking that Rockstar has jumped into bed with M$.

Good work Sony and Good work Rockstar, its good to know your still friends :D

+ RexNox on July 28th, 2007 at 5:35 am said:

If I have this correct, you’re hyping nothing?

+ Flanders on July 28th, 2007 at 5:35 am said:

Typically, we’ve been getting news story after news story about once exclusive games going to the other system or third party ports of games that have inferior graphics and frame rates compared to the other ‘weaker’ system. Nice to hear some positive third party game news for a change. Obviously, the PS3 is not the console to own for people who like playing games developed by third party companies as the other system has almost all of the once exclusive titles and they typically run better on the other system.

+ Andronix on July 28th, 2007 at 5:37 am said:

I love the GTA games and was very surprised that Rockstar spokesman Hosi Simon basically dissed the PlayStation 3 version by favouring the 360 edition.

I understand business is business but this was a slap in the face to all the loyal customers who made the original GTA 3 a hit on the PS2.

So it’s good to hear this about the new PS3 exclusive franchise from Rockstar. Maybe they can win some fans back.

+ striker2k8 on July 28th, 2007 at 5:41 am said:

good news :) but you should of kept GTA4 exclusive..

+ Stoffinator on July 28th, 2007 at 5:50 am said:

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to see what R* and Sony have in store for PS3 owners. A game that won’t be limited because of the 360.

Can you give us a hint of when you two will be able to tell us some info on it? ;-)

+ alucard2023 on July 28th, 2007 at 6:06 am said:

Awesome news :) hopefully will be as revolutionary as GTA was.

+ UMICH_Egypt_Alliance_Productions on July 28th, 2007 at 6:11 am said:

@Everyone

Very Soon (think post GTA IV Release) is when you guys and everyone else will find out more about this new franchise.

Hint: (it’s some where in the username)

+ purchaser on July 28th, 2007 at 6:11 am said:

What is it? Table Tennis 2?
Anything else will be banned by Sony!
Come on, Rockstar, don’t be fools. At the moment you finish the game Sony will ban it.
Sorry, Sony, allow AO-ratings and I’ll be again a fan of you!

+ henning on July 28th, 2007 at 6:19 am said:

Sorry to post so off-topic, Mr. Shorrock, but you’re the exact person I needed to talk to. You know how UT3 allows mods like maps to be imported into the PS3 version of the game? It fits perfectly into Sony’s Gaming 3.0 initiative. How about you convince Infinity Ward to do the same for Call of Duty 4?

+ Herby on July 28th, 2007 at 6:19 am said:

This is bombshell news baby. I love it. This is going to be a great game.

+ RIYA7A on July 28th, 2007 at 6:27 am said:

I hope sony really earned this exclusive.
Finally some good news for us ps3 owners.

+ gardea on July 28th, 2007 at 6:30 am said:

Nice to hear Rockstar didn’t abandon Sony :p

+ ExtremeOne on July 28th, 2007 at 6:32 am said:

Its Interesting news

+ MarkGillespie on July 28th, 2007 at 6:32 am said:

Is it the WildWest title?

+ TheDevilsJoker on July 28th, 2007 at 6:37 am said:

Trading Off Exclusive of GTA4 for a new franchise is a good move if you ask me. We still get GTA4, but we also get a whole FRANCHISE. Forget extra bonus content for the 360. haha, we have a franchise.

+ lovely2 on July 28th, 2007 at 6:44 am said:

hi rocko … ^^

what about game play ?

that is game has sixaxis or no ? i wish that

i think it’s very nice game

i waiting for information about this game ^^ .

i love sony i love ps3 ^^.

+ Scham on July 28th, 2007 at 6:44 am said:

Exclusive = Explore the power of cell and the BD to make games with another level. I wait that LA Noire keep exclusive, great deal Sony.

+ limitt_45 on July 28th, 2007 at 6:51 am said:

exclusives are always welcomed.

+ Wollan on July 28th, 2007 at 7:03 am said:

Hopefully it’s a European based GTA-spinoff (obviously new franchise). That would be a megaton.

+ darkiewonder on July 28th, 2007 at 7:12 am said:

That’s pretty good news! You lose some and you gain some. and in this case! We gain!

I can’t wait to see what Rockstar brings t othe Playstation 3.

+ Loucifer on July 28th, 2007 at 7:14 am said:

WHAT???…ROCKSTAR???…NEW EXCLUSIVE????

THERE JUST MAY BE A [DELETED] GOD…LOLOLOLOLOL

PS. lets just all hope that its not slated for like 2010

+ Loucifer on July 28th, 2007 at 7:25 am said:

@TheDevilsJoker

Are you my court jester???…LOL

I hear ya dude…360 can have the 2 DL episodes…I’ll take a whole new game anyday :)

KICK ASS ROCKSTAR!

+ masteratt on July 28th, 2007 at 7:26 am said:

So MS pays $50 Mil for some content on a multi-platform game and Sony through business relations gets a brand new exclusive IP.

You tell me which company is smarter :)

HUGE thanks to Rockstar for not leaving Sony in the dark and huge thanks to Sony for knowing and giving us what we want.

Sony truly knows this industry inside out.

Rockstar plus Cell plus Blu-Ray equals Game Of The Year (probably lol….let’s wait and see what it is).

+ Loucifer on July 28th, 2007 at 7:28 am said:

I only wish other developers would make the same deal…*cough* . o O(CAPCOM, UBI, Konami)

+ masteratt on July 28th, 2007 at 7:34 am said:

I am a bit dissapointed that Konami announced all versions of PES8 will be the same on all consoles.

Maybe they are working on a different PS3 version?
I don’t know but they should be nicer to Sony since PS made PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) a good selling game and Sony funded the development of PES8.

But let’s not stick our nose in where it doesn’t belong.
After all every company looks out for their profits :)

+ luckskywalker7 on July 28th, 2007 at 7:39 am said:

nice! Can’t wait to see what rockstar has in store for us.

+ Joe on July 28th, 2007 at 7:43 am said:

Well this is cool. I can’t wait to find out what it is.

+ ziggyd24 on July 28th, 2007 at 7:45 am said:

Thats awesome!! Way to go Sony, Rockstar makes the most fun games out there!!

+ UltimateNinja9 on July 28th, 2007 at 7:50 am said:

The only good games Rockstar makes are the GTA series. Games like Table Tennis and Midnight Club suck balls. So I’m just hoping that GTA5 will be PS3 exclusive.

+ ShadowBlade on July 28th, 2007 at 7:57 am said:

can’t wait for a sneak peek

+ Danny on July 28th, 2007 at 7:59 am said:

yay!!!!!!

could we have some info on the game please? thanks.

+ eurospeed on July 28th, 2007 at 8:03 am said:

“Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.”

Now that’s something everyone here really wanted to hear. Push the PS3 far beyond the other consoles with a quality title and you guys will surely have a massive hit on your hands.

+ 40cal on July 28th, 2007 at 8:07 am said:

This is great news. I never had a problem with GTA going multi platform. GTA is a last gen IP anyways. I bought my PS3 for new and revalutionary gaming.

Rockstar just got me back on there band wagon, cant wait to get details on this NEW IP.

GTA 1,2 and london would be nice PSN downloads, so this is my request for these classic PSX titles to hit my local Playstation Store. Thanks.

+ ckmlb on July 28th, 2007 at 8:15 am said:

Good news. The more PS3 exclusives the better, especially from makers of great games such as Rockstar.

+ Nathan Hale on July 28th, 2007 at 8:31 am said:

Excellent news. Take that Microsoft!

+ Kenjisan on July 28th, 2007 at 8:34 am said:

Excellent news, I hope Rockstar has a great new next gen concept in the works, Sony spotted it and wanted to be the next big PS3 franchise.

+ TwoBlack4America on July 28th, 2007 at 8:41 am said:

Awesome

+ Se-7-eN on July 28th, 2007 at 8:44 am said:

How about we have more of these posts and less of the “Cos-Play” ;) DAMN GOOD news!

+ GAME-HERO on July 28th, 2007 at 8:45 am said:

For “me” the whole “grand thief auto” and “Guitar Hero” games are all played out! I (personally speaking) want fresh new ideas, features and gameplay. It’s like how many version of Mario can we play? But I guess as long as people want them, developers will keep making them! So with that said I agree with Sony for not investing too much more in GTA!!!

I am not saying that GTA4 and GH are bad games!!! I personally think there spent!

+ Elsa43 on July 28th, 2007 at 8:49 am said:

A new IP from Rockstar would be nice… with maybe some “real” female characters and not those nondescript stereotypes they tend towards… maybe even a playable female character! (though I won’t hold my breath on that one! LOL)

+ deadxbabiesxinc on July 28th, 2007 at 8:51 am said:

Sony always take the biggest risks and they always pay off in the end. I`m sure GTA4 will be good but after so much GTA u gotta go for a new game. Great news guys! Skip the trendy sequel exclusives n go for the next NEW franchise exclusives.

+ Conch_Bubby on July 28th, 2007 at 8:51 am said:

Great news! Just stay from the back stabbing ‘Hot Coffee’ ideas and it’ll be ok Take-Two.

+ Ghostm on July 28th, 2007 at 8:58 am said:

@ 42
Maybe You’re the moron my friend. I’m entitled to have my own opinion. If you don’t like it then that’s your problem.

I’m not one to get excited over something that I have no idea what it is. Knowing the developer doesn’t always guarantee a AAA title.

Money makes the world go round. Contracts can be broken, so I’ll just wait to see how this plays out. Whoever thought that DMC4 and Assassin’s Creed would ever hit the 360? Money is everything to a corporation. 98% of a corp is about getting richer and 2% is about making customers happy.

@46
I couldn’t say it any better.

+ InSpectre on July 28th, 2007 at 8:58 am said:

Thanks for the update Mike! I’m looking forward to the secret sauce you’re cooking up with Cell. Rockstar is ambitious, and sees where things are going. This is just the tip of the iceberg folks!

+ Scham on July 28th, 2007 at 8:59 am said:

lol PS3 don´t lose GTA IV, lose microtrasations for next- year. A vague Episodic content rape the wallet of xbots 20 dollars.

And now only in PS3 you´ll get GTA IV and new Rockstar franchise together.

+ TheApprentice on July 28th, 2007 at 9:03 am said:

See this is awesome… I new Sony wouldn’t fail us….

GTA is for sure getting old, I know many friends who have lost interest in the franchise…

Sony is moving onto greater things, newer things for the future…. Moulding the landscape of franchises for the new generation…
I’m happy…

GTA Downloadable content???… pfft…

I never wanted GTA to begin with for same aforementioned reason…

All eyes on UT3, Haze, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, Singstar, Rock Band, Guitar hero 3….!!!

+ johnirwinjr on July 28th, 2007 at 9:07 am said:

PLEASE TWISTED METAL DOWNLOAD PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Loucifer on July 28th, 2007 at 9:22 am said:

@johnirwinjr

your a loser…the discussion is a NEW! franchise

wait a minute…maybe i didnt say it loud enough…A NEW!!!!!! FRANCHISE!!!!!!!

Twisted Metal in my opinion was a horrible game…and if you bought a $600 system to play PS1 and PS2 games then you must really have mental issues!!!!!!

+ 40cal on July 28th, 2007 at 9:28 am said:

On the topic of Xbox/GTA downloadable content. Microsoft spent 50 mill to get this. How much are these downloads going to cost? If they put them at $10.00 they would need 5 million downloads to break even. I personaly dont see that kind of volume for this content. If they put it at $20.00 they would need 2.5 millon downloads to break even. While this number is a bit more obtainable, spending another $20-$40 makes GTA IV a $100.00 game. If the price gets higher than that not many people will open there wallets for etxra content.

This just seems like more bad Microsoft buisness to me. Buy a 360, then more money for wi-fi,then more money to play online, more money for HD movies, more money for card readers, more money for downloads and extra content with a potentially large price tag?

Good job Rockstar on the $50 million pay check signed by Xbox.

I just dont see it being profitable for Microsoft.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6