PS4-The Order

New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3

Michael Shorrock's Avatar + Posted by Michael Shorrock on Jul 27, 2007 // Director of 3rd Party Relations, SCEA

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

365 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8

+ Argosax on July 31st, 2007 at 12:35 pm said:

It’s good to see this things happen because there are a lot games that don’t use all the available space of the blue ray (multiconsole) and i would like to see a rockstar game that uses all the power of the PS3

+ jigglywiggly on July 31st, 2007 at 2:32 pm said:

@ Michael Shorrock

This is a really long shot asking this question, but this is the place where us PlayStation gamers have the best chance of having our voices heard, and my question falls in your ballpark.

Recently, Midway have (unofficially) said that the PS3 version of Stranglehold will be region locked, and that the PAL version of the game will not feature the Hard Boiled movie on the BluRay disc. Is this true? No games have, to date, been region locked in such a fashion on PS3, and it’s disappointing to see it begin, particularly when gamers in other regions are ending up with content missing in their localised editions.

+ darcwake on August 1st, 2007 at 1:58 am said:

Playstation 3 is really shaping up to be a really great console! GO PS3! GO ROCKSTAR!

+ Swiss Trev on August 1st, 2007 at 11:05 am said:

@40cal…and @roadclimber

….you’ve both unknowingly hit the nail on the head – MS can afford to make a loss on every console they sell, hell they can probably even afford to give them away. The reason being that they have a long term strategy (to be fair as do Sony & Nintendo). The bulk of the money they make is not in a one off payment of lets say £350 for a system but in the number of games that consumers then subsequently purchase for their desired system – ok, an example being you can buy a car for a one off payment of say £200 (ok, admitted a crap car) but you’ll end up filling it with petrol every week at a cost of lets say £20 a week – after a year you’ve spent far more than you originally paid for the car….errrr, hope you can see what I’m getting at or maybe I’m just tired after working 20 hours straight. Another good example is from a UK company called PCWorld – sign up for a 24 month contract with ‘Orange Broadband’ and you get a free laptop PC…they know that in the long run they’re probably going to be up on the deal (incidentally the laptop isn’t top of the range but it’s no slouch)

Anyways, MS can afford to take this short term hit to increase the Xbox360 user base because they know that the real money will be in the 15+ games that people will buy for their system over its lifespan. Sony has engineered a supreme bit of kit (I’ll admit superior to the 360) but has no choice but to attempt to make it’s money back on console sales and not game sales as the user base isn’t big enough yet….simple fact is that MS make a shed load more money than Sony, sad but true.

40cal, you said – “Microsoft still has not turned a profit on the first Xbox. So Xbox 720? Not likely, Mr. Gates may have the money to support a non profit organization such as Xbox yet it is more up to Microsoft’s share holders”

Hmmm…you think Sony has made a profit on PS3 yet, I don’t think so. And don’t even talk about the whole shareholder side of things – trust me, Japan is far more ruthless than the US as far as shareholders/directors etc. Hell, Sony crucified Ken K just to appease shareholders (the Japanese ethos coming through) whereas the US calls a loss ‘negative profit’….trust me I’ve worked with both parties in the past so I know what I’m talking about.

40cal, you also said – “Oh and in my opinion it’s called the 360 because it puts us back right where we started. I like few PC games that’s why I choose to game on consoles.”

Err…nope, you’ve lost me there, you don’t consider the 360 a console?!…er, care to explain why 90% of all games are released for both 360 & PS3. To say that all 360 games are PC games is quite honestly arrogant, misinformed and a wee bit childish – you remind me of one of the old Spectrum V’s C64 diehards saying ‘Bwhaaa…my system is better than yours!’…oh and if you think that HD-DVD is the pinnacle of what MS is capable of then you can add naïve to the list.

Anyway guys has been fun talking to you – and glad that neither of you used any ‘text messaging’ style of writing….one of my pet hates, nice to communicate with people that can actually talk properly.

Oh and if you’ve got to the end of this then I’m impressed, I probably wouldn’t have bothered. =(

Peace

+ 40cal on August 1st, 2007 at 11:41 am said:

@Swiss Trev

The PS2 turned a profit and so has the PSP this was my point. The 360 is having to recoupe dev cost for both of Microsofts systems.

You should take a look at the finacal statments for SCEA and XBOX.

As for your second coment, The 360 is a very small step above the Xbox along the lines that it can handle PC titles now. If you look at there exclusive list most of those games are PC ports.

If you had read the coment that I was replying to you would have understood what I was saying.

+ 40cal on August 1st, 2007 at 11:44 am said:

@Swiss Trev

Oh yeah, you wrote that coment.

+ Swiss Trev on August 1st, 2007 at 12:14 pm said:

@40cal

360 a very small step above the xbox?!…er, again you’ve lost me there. By that argument the PS3 is a small step above the PS2…sorry, just don’t get it…..and don’t tell me that the fact that PS3 has ‘Blueray’ is enough of a distinguishing factor…at the end of the day it’s nothing more than a storage medium (albeit a larger one)

And as for the quality of games on 360 v’s PS3…..hmmm, most games are currently looking better on the 360 (to be honest because dev teams have had it longer and find it easier to code)….if you persist I’ll post some lovely sites that have comparison shots of 360 & PS3 games (Ridge Racer, Oblivion, NFS etc) and I think you’ll be surprised. Incidentally I think this will change in the next 18-24 months as dev teams learn to get the most out of PS3….but as I’ve said before by then we’ll be looking at a next-next-gen MS console. Just wish Sega had the money to re-enter the console war….loved my DreamCast! ;)

As an aside I believe that Blueray may well be the distinguishing factor, I understand it’s a superior format and may well be a major factor in the next gen (now current gen) war….although one could say that it’ll win not down to its games but down to it’s superior movie playing capabilities. Personally though I’d be happy buying a 2 HD-DVD box-set that offers virtually the same quality as a single Blueray disc.

I totally agree that Sony made a huge profit on PS2 (in my opinion the greatest home console in the last 15 years) and now on the PSP also (although this wasn’t the case this time last year)

Most Xbox360 games being PC Ports?! – er…go easy on the wacky baccy, I expected more from you fella.

+ 40cal on August 1st, 2007 at 12:34 pm said:

@Swiss Trev

Oblivion NOT ONLY LOOKED BETTER on PS3 IT RAN SMOTHER also.

If you look at there EXCLUSIVE list most of those games are PC ports. I said exclusive not all games.

And finally the Specs. Check the chart at the bottom of the link bro.

The only thing that changed was the 2 HDMI ports.

+ Swiss Trev on August 1st, 2007 at 1:10 pm said:

lol – amuses me when people drag out specs to win an arguement!…kind of like comparing a Ferarri to a Porsche….yup on specs the Ferrari wins hands down. But unfortuntely it’s all down to the drivers (in this case developers)….you get a [DELETED] driving the Ferrari and an F1 driver will trash him in a bloody Skoda….anyways, never meant this to get bitter so I’m off for some kip….

+ 40cal on August 1st, 2007 at 1:59 pm said:

Report: Xbox 360 in danger of becoming distant third

+ Bjorn on August 2nd, 2007 at 6:21 am said:

I Love all GTA’s ok well all GTA’s starting from the one B4 Vice City , and I must say you all have never ceased to amaze me, but the location, don’t you think that using liberty city again is just too much well thats where i read it would be , but at least make the one after it Not be in liberty city because thats a little bit too much of liberty city for me. but as it comes out i am getting one cuz thats not stopping me from buying it. p.s i hope we can swim in this one like we could in San Andreas, and please don’t hold back on us, were expecting something worth buying not just for the graphics which we also expect but for all that its worth I mean, after i beaten Vice City, San Andreas, & Liberty City i still go back and play them and i also have to buy the vice city stories but i am waiting to get it all n one shot but anyways my point is i go back to play them b-cuz their worth it and if you use the same city too much then what fun would that be, i rather go to a new city each new game and maybe u can do a city twice more advanced but 3 times huh thats plenty times to use one city but u know what i’m not the creator nor a critic i’m just a fan so heres my opinion.

+ K-End on August 2nd, 2007 at 9:31 am said:

MS can keep Dead Rising away from us but We gonna have a NEW IP from Rockstar…heh

man, IM HAPPY

+ Swiss Trev on August 2nd, 2007 at 1:50 pm said:

….you get a [DELETED] driving the Ferrari and an F1 ??!?!?

Hells bells what on earth did I say to get [Deleted] status…buggered if I can remember to be honest….anyone bother to read my post that remembers that can enlighten me?…please!…I try to be politically correct at all times so I’m intrigued. Surely I didn’t say a Sony employee….did I? ; )

+ 40cal on August 2nd, 2007 at 3:06 pm said:

@ EVERYONE!

Take-Two announced on Thursday that GTA4 for PS3 and Xbox 360 would be delayed until April 2008 at the earliest due to requiring additional development time. As a result, company shares (not to mention gamer hopes) dropped 13 percent on the news.

Looks like everyone needs more time. But 2008 though?

+ blizzard182 on August 2nd, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

@40cal

My god. What are they going to do? Add a new whole city?

+ packersnacker on August 2nd, 2007 at 11:21 pm said:

sound like a good deal, since this new exclusive game is from rockstar I think It’ll be great, at the very least.

+ Swiss Trev on August 3rd, 2007 at 7:20 am said:

from Gi.biz re: delyas for GTA4

Analyst Michael Pachter believes Rockstar has delayed the release of Grand Theft Auto IV because it is struggling with development on the PlayStation 3.
And the Xbox 360 version of the game has suffered at least a six month delay as a result, due to contractual obligations that will have prevented the publisher from releasing the game first on Microsoft’s machine, says the analyst.
“We think it is likely that the Rockstar team had difficulty in building an exceptionally complicated game for the PS3, and failed to recognise how far away from completion the game truly was until recently,” said Pachter.
“We think it is also likely that Take-Two had a contractual commitment to Sony that it would not favour competitor Microsoft by launching the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV prior to launching the PS3 version, and believe that any delay of the PS3 version necessitated a delay of the Xbox 360 version,” he added.
This failure to recognise development problems could dent investor confidence in the publisher, even after it has taken steps to improve the green light process for software development.
“Take-Two management stumbled badly for the first time during their tenure,” commented Pachter.
“While the delay of GTA IV was clearly not the fault of new management, we believe that it should have been better understood several months ago, and should have been communicated to investors much earlier than today.
“The company has begun an initiative to improve the green light process for new projects, but given the delays of Manhunt and GTA, its process for monitoring projects under development appears to be a failure,” he said.

+ Swiss Trev on August 3rd, 2007 at 7:28 am said:

more from Gi.biz

Electronic Arts and Activision are the two publishers set to benefit the most from Grand Theft Auto IV’s no-show this Christmas retail season.
With Rockstar’s latest title originally due for release in October but now delayed until Q2 2008, analyst firm Nollenberger Capital Partners believes that as much as USD 500 million in consumer spend could now be available for other blockbuster releases.
“We believe the lack of GTA IV this holiday season is a clear positive for Take-Two’s competitors, namely EA and Activision,” said analyst Todd Greenwald.
“We estimate that roughly USD 400 to USD 500 million in consumers wallets will be freed up to spend on other hardcore games.”
The company singled out forthcoming titles Call of Duty 4, Medal of Honor: Airbourne, Crysis, Need for Speed: ProStreet , Microsoft’s Halo 3, Assassin’s Creed and Haze from Ubisoft and Midway’s Stranglehold as games likely to receive a sales boost this year.
“It will also allow retailers more shelf space to heavily promote these titles,” added Greenwald.

+ xSkillzDatKillzx on August 3rd, 2007 at 11:55 am said:

remember this
a franchise like the grand theft auto series is one of the best ever…
so if it takes a bit longer than expected, it will probably mean they are gonna make the game better. a full thought out game is better than a half completed game made in a rush

+ 40cal on August 3rd, 2007 at 2:19 pm said:

I have to say this. Analyst Michael Pachter is the biggest 360 “fanboy” I have ever seen. Can someone run a background check on this man? LOL

Every comment this man has made in the last 6 months to a year have been about the PS3 and how he dose not like it. Who cares! Michael Pachter is no one important to the gaming industry and for a market analyst he sure thinks he knows a lot about programming or even technology for that matter.

If anything Rockstar is having problems making the game for 360 with its tiny storage format and incapable hardware. (My Opinion)

PGR4 has no night time because the DVD is too small. And future 360 games are going to require the HDD to run, why? Again, because the DVD is too small!

So let’s see, we have this huge game GTA IV and it gets pushed back. There are two possible reasons.
1) The PS3 is too hard to develop for.
2) The Xbox 360 can not handle the game.

We all know the PS3 is harder at the moment to develop for, but to hard? I don’t think so. You can write code at home for the PS3 with Linux installed. It is not that hard.

All of Mr. Pachter’s comments always begin with “I Think” or “We Think.” So then you don’t know.

So as for me I am going with number 2 on the list. I have as much business experience as Michael, so I guess for sharing my “thoughts I am now an analyst.
And yes Mr. Pachter you are a Fanboy.

+ gamesplayer on August 3rd, 2007 at 2:26 pm said:

Rockstar games havent provided us with any other ace games since GTA 3. Vice City was a good follow on. I rushed out to buy that game, [forget the title. the one where u smash up everthing in the malls]
it was so awful i took it back and didnt play playstation 2 for months. just been looking at cheap ps3 http://www.ecbiz.co.uk
274.99 still to dear :(

+ S3NTRY on August 4th, 2007 at 3:38 am said:

Hopefully its a good new franchise…

+ Loucifer on August 4th, 2007 at 8:28 am said:

NEW YORK POST SAYS “GAME DELAY BATTERS FIRM”

+ Loucifer on August 4th, 2007 at 8:45 am said:

With GTA4 now due in 2008 whats next Sony??? LOL

+ Swiss Trev on August 4th, 2007 at 9:08 am said:

@40cal…aka Mr Misinformed hasn’t got a fekin clue:

The First Michael Pachter Post of 2006:
Microsoft is making a big — and risky — bet that videogame players will flock to the opportunity to play lots of games against each other over the Internet. The Xbox 360, released in the U.S. last month, lets users play more games online than the original Xbox. It also lets users purchase and download games.

The company has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on its online service, Xbox Live, analysts say…

But the big move into online gaming carries risks. It is not clear that companies like Microsoft and Sony will be able to lure large numbers of players — each has attracted a small fraction of users to online play with their previous consoles. The companies also must be careful about new business models for distributing games — such as games-on-demand — so as not to alienate game publishers, who still rely heavily on in-store sales. And games designed for multiple players have a mixed record of attracting customers.

The challenge is to expand the appeal of online gaming beyond the core audience of hardcore gamers, and casual players may not bite, said Michael Goodman, senior analyst with Yankee Group, a technology-research firm in Boston.

.” Microsoft’s strategy is “absolutely flawed,” he said.

Guess that makes you 40cal to be a bit of a tit ; )

+ Loucifer on August 4th, 2007 at 10:55 am said:

If GTA4 isnt due out until spring 08 then when in gods name is the New Franchise due?????

spring 2012??????

+ 40cal on August 4th, 2007 at 3:40 pm said:

@Swiss Trev

Easy cowboy! I am far from misinformed. I have read every post from Mr. Pachter including the one you copied and pasted. My Forbes attaché is set up to track this individual and Sony.

He is clearly biased towards Sony. You should do more homework instead of finding one post trying to prove me wrong.

Even in the post you copied and pasted Mr. Pachter takes a shot at the Playstation brand. The Microsoft’s strategy is “absolutely flawed,” is a quote from Mr. Michael Goodman, who by the way is a much better analyst than Michael Pachter. Again, this is just my opinion.

Oh, and easy on the name calling bloody poofter.

+ Swiss Trev on August 4th, 2007 at 5:03 pm said:

@40Cal

Man…you’re just too easy, I’m even beginning to enjoy baiting you – may even make a full time hobby of it!… well in-between holding down a job in the games industry, paying a mortgage, supporting a wife and 2 kids. I know you think I come here to do nothing but slate Sony but the truth is I come here to get information, occasionally discourse with intelligent people with varied views and opinions…oh and to once in a while laugh my arse off at the odd fanboy who never made it out of his mums’ basement….which one are you fella?

+ XROOK on August 4th, 2007 at 6:21 pm said:

i think that sony neads to get there rear in gear and start putting out some games, im tired of the ones that are out now and none of the ones on the network interest me, i think ive played more ps2 games on my ps3 than ps3 games. im tired of dalays with new games as well.

+ puppies on August 4th, 2007 at 7:07 pm said:

Hey, where’s the GTA IV post about the PS3 being the reason for its delay?

Didn’t feel like typing that one up?

+ seph1r0th00 on August 4th, 2007 at 9:44 pm said:

L.A. Noire is the new exclusive :( it doesn’t look that good. But whatever, we’ll see I guess.

+ 40cal on August 5th, 2007 at 10:33 am said:

@Swiss Trev

LOL! I also enjoy this little back and forth. As for me mum she is doing fine and lives over 3000 miles away. I own my own house sitting on five acres, with a beautiful, professional wife, no kids though we like our money to much for all that.

Any ways I really just viewed you as someone who thinks he is smarter than everyone. I worked in the industry for 3 years and left for a better financial opportunity. So I guess that we will be back and forth for a while.

I am looking forward to it. Who knows maybe one day we might actually agree on something.;)

+ snowglobe on August 5th, 2007 at 3:43 pm said:

It’s great that the PS3 is finally getting some new exclusive franchises, but please SECURE THEM. lock them up and throw away the key – none of this timed exclusive crap. 3rd parties are money whores and will take their titles multiplatform at the sound of bill gates’ purse jingling.

+ Loucifer on August 5th, 2007 at 4:07 pm said:

@seph1r0th00

you should read more closely!!!!!

“As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new.”

+ master_mattie on August 6th, 2007 at 11:02 am said:

sounds to me like SCE and R* tagged teamed to screw ms over lets stop and look at the facts,
ms pays R* 50mill for content that not that many people will download, SCE loses exclusive rights to gta4 and gains an exclusive franchise.
so in short

MS. loses 50 mill

R*. gains 50 mill

SCE. gains an exclusive franchise

you tell me who came out on top in this one.

+ cuguy on August 10th, 2007 at 3:27 am said:

ummm.. it has been mentioned on several other forums that the 50 mil paid to R* is a loan that is required to be paid back to MS. It’s not like they just handed it over.

Also, why is everyone so excited? This is an unnamed, not even begun to be developed, fantomware project. I think the analogy could be Ford announces that in the future they will have a super cool car that exclipses current tech. We don’t know what it is, but golly will it be cool.

I own a PS3… and in the last 7 freakin months I have basically watched it avoid getting fingerprinted. There is nothing. 2008 looks good, hopefully. Given the track record with games being pushed back, it might be 2009.

and please for the love of god stop saying that the reason PS3 games are lackluster is because they are made alongside the 360…cripes… right now there is NO PROOF that any of the games are being held back. And WTF about the posters who are saying “the lack of internal HDD limits the 360…” Last time I checked, the 360 had one. Granted, not the cores, but even they can be fitted with one.

In short… stop wishing on dreams… stop blaming the competition for devs shortcomings on making quality games…

PAGE 1 4 5 6