PlayStation Experience

Jul 27

New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3

Michael Shorrock's Avatar Posted by Michael Shorrock on Jul 27, 2007 // Director of 3rd Party Relations, SCEA

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8

+ jlocker on July 30th, 2007 at 8:04 am said:

It is nice to see the PS3 in the number one or two position on Amazon over the last couple of weeks.

Playing Rainbow 6 on the SOE network still like having problems with the voice communications and program crashing when two much information or the bluetooth communications, could be the game could be the network, do not know. It looks like the some investigating to remove any possible of back-end server problems. The game has been great online, just looks like a few things could be check like is it the game or the network?

Everything else has been great, keep the games coming!!

+ blizzard182 on July 30th, 2007 at 8:07 am said:

Yeah, and I need to get a headset. Don´t know if I can wait till warhawk

They have too much time man..

+ Share It on July 30th, 2007 at 8:07 am said:

[…] for the Sony Playstation 3. The news was revealed on the Spike TV show Gamehead, and was confirmed on the official Sony Playstation Blog on Friday. In the Blog, Sony’s Michael Shorrock […]

+ thechosenfew88 on July 30th, 2007 at 8:07 am said:

Is it me, or does Rainbow Six Vegas looks butt ugly on the PS3? The faces look all blurry and the textures don’t look too great… The game supports 1080i, so thats what I have it running in…

+ thechosenfew88 on July 30th, 2007 at 8:09 am said:

I don’t know if you heard me in that room where like 40 people were playing, I kept talking about how bad I I just need some time to get the hang of it. I barely have time to play besides the weekends.

+ blizzard182 on July 30th, 2007 at 8:12 am said:

yeah yeah I heard that lol. I could not answer though.

I get up at 7 and go back from work at 7 also sooo…not much time for me either…

college..gym life is gone..

+ TwinsDad on July 30th, 2007 at 8:24 am said:

An announcement. It seems to me that it would have been better served to have this annouced along with title information. As it seems now, this announcement seems to only serve the fans that are crying over exclusives.

I’ll bother when the title and actual information is announced.

+ Scarecrow on July 30th, 2007 at 8:28 am said:

Man, and it really sounds like it’ll be a groundbreaking franchise like GTA was.

Innovation in games is always great. Better yet, they’re specifically focusing on the Cell processor and how the ps3 works to make this game.

It’s a must buy already =D

+ 1P Start » Blog Archive » Good News for Sony on July 30th, 2007 at 9:22 am said:

[…] Michael Shorrock’s Playstation Blog post here. Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to 1P Start. It’s Free! « Back Home Posted in New […]

+ Swiss Trev on July 30th, 2007 at 9:22 am said:

Basically the logo is a simple, round nexus, and that the console itself has a concave design…360 being the number of degrees in a circle – thus encapsulating both the descriptions above.

No idea what they’re going to call the Xbox360 successor to be honest – except there will be one and launched within the next 3 years. I simply chose the 720 name as it’s 2×360 – kind of like PC’s power doubling every 4 years, there’s a name for that formula but it escapes me for now.

When it arrives you can be sure it’ll at least double the power of PS3 – think of the latest most expensive hardcore PC graphics card currently available and double it’s performance – that’s what you’ll be looking at…hmm, Crysis x2 sounds good to me.

And PS3 will just be getting into its stride at this point giving us only 2nd or 3rd generation games (360 will be on 5th or 6th)

In my opinion it was an error for Sony to try to leapfrog technology as much as it did….heh, just my opinion.

+ jlocker on July 30th, 2007 at 9:44 am said:

Yes I am running Rainbow 6 Vegas in 1080i and I think the graphics look very good. If you want a great tv look into the Sony SXRD projections TV’s they have a great chip for doing video processing and the picture is best I have seen and mine is 21 old and the picture is great and I am still on the original bulb and have had zero problems. The new prices are great for these TV’s and I like them better then the LCD flat panels. When the bulb goes I can replace it myself on a LCD panel like a LCD laptop cost bucks to have it fixed.

+ awheaten on July 30th, 2007 at 9:57 am said:

@ Swiss Trev
What are you talking about. M$ just came out with Vista only after they released their Xbox360 and from what I hear at the IT shop at work alot of updates are to be desired, so I know dev teams are working on those and not another Xbox prototype. The point at saying that M$ is coming out with another system 4 to 5 years is a bit ambitious when its only been out a year and a half ago.

Remember the 360 don’t really have any games either, out side of Halo and Gears of War, which are ,by the way, all the same genre which therefore limits the console’s (xbox360’s) potential.

Back to my original point. To me all these dev company that are looking at Sony now only shows me that Sony is planning on more price cuts in the near future because I’m sure all the dev companies know that the PS3 is still very expensive, even though more PS3’s have been sold lately. Something has given these company’s like Konami, Namco, and R* alot of confidence in Sony and I don’t think it is the money Sony is giving them either.

+ Swiss Trev on July 30th, 2007 at 10:11 am said:

= )

okey dokey – we’ll see eh?

+ joel on July 30th, 2007 at 10:15 am said:

Basicly I hope microsoft’s last system is the 360. I dont trust them, nintendo is ok, but microsft killz there console when they release a new one. The only company that stays reliable to all the ps2 psp and ps3 owners is sony. They are the most reliable company, and hopefully peoploe start buying ps3’s and we can move faster.

+ roadclimber on July 30th, 2007 at 10:17 am said:

@Swiss Trev
The only way i could see MIcrosoft successfully releasing a new system in 2-3 years would be if they gave it free to all the people they made suffer through the 360.
When did the xbox come out anyway? how long of a life cycle did that one have? I guess it’s possible with improving technology that system generations might be stepped up but take the portables as an example. Newer versions are released which improve upon the basic concept but aren’t significantly different from the original. A lot of console players are at the mercy of the mothers and fathers who buy the consoles and i don’t think they’d like the idea of shelling out another 500$ or more in so little time.

You do raise a good point though. Part of the success of the 360 is its facility to mirror pc code programming. Making it easy to make 360 versions of pc games, and we all know how quickly and greedily pc games demand hardware upgrades. What will happen to the 360 when it can’t meet the system demands of the latest pc favourites?

HOwever, if Sony manages to corner the next gen dvd market simply by including a blu-ray player in their console, then thinking forward will have netted them a ton of cash. They also give the game designers the flexibility of massive storage space for game design. I shudder to think of what will happen when 360 users face their first multi dvd game. Shards of disc flying everywhere.. the horror. :)

+ Lp47 on July 30th, 2007 at 10:35 am said:

Some people were bummed out that Sony lost GTA4 exclusitivity. But who cares really when we get a new exclusive franchise from Rockstar. Also LA NOIR looks sweet. Good job Sony for getting this deal. Rockstar delivered the highest rating game last gen. (GTA San Andreas) IGN: 9.9 …. Thankyou very much Sony.

+ 40cal on July 30th, 2007 at 11:48 am said:

@ Swiss Trev
Microsoft still has not turned a profit on the first Xbox. So Xbox 720? Not likely, Mr. Gates may have the money to support a non profit organization such as Xbox yet it is more up to Microsoft’s share holders.

And Microsoft’s next console will need a larger storage medium. So we all know that HDDVD is smaller and not succeeding. Blu-Ray will be the only option at this point, MGS games running off of Blu-Ray puts money in Sony’s pocket.

+ dodomasta3000 on July 30th, 2007 at 12:04 pm said:

that’s sweet and all but i have a problem….i have wallpaper to send to my people’s and all but the file’s are to big…there over 2000mb…is anyone going to fix this.

+ dodomasta3000 on July 30th, 2007 at 12:07 pm said:

is anyone out there….also sony are there any plan’s of a new rival school’s for the ps3….

+ wizardpsp on July 30th, 2007 at 12:29 pm said:

Woohaa That´s great!! Good sony!

+ RoAcH2285 on July 30th, 2007 at 12:37 pm said:

Yeah,I was wondering is L.A. Noire going to a PS3
title.Any feedback is appreciated,THANKS>

+ Cagalli on July 30th, 2007 at 12:39 pm said:

According to Rockstar’s financial statements, La Noire is only listed for PS3.

+ RoAcH2285 on July 30th, 2007 at 1:03 pm said:

By the way who the HELL gets on the PLAYSTATION BLOG and HATES on the PS3.Thats
just retarded,some people need to grow up.

+ RoAcH2285 on July 30th, 2007 at 1:04 pm said:

Cool thanks Cagalli.

+ thechosenfew88 on July 30th, 2007 at 2:05 pm said:

I was waiting for someone to say it. Thats exactly what I thought of when I thought of the Xbox 360’s name. lol

+ thechosenfew88 on July 30th, 2007 at 2:15 pm said:

::Off topic::

European PSN will get the GRAW 2 demo this week. Can this be confirmed for the NA PSN as well?

+ 40cal on July 30th, 2007 at 2:19 pm said:

GRAW is an awsome game. I really hope we get the DEMO in NA and a better job of porting from the other console.

+ Loucifer on July 30th, 2007 at 2:35 pm said:

Where did you hear about GRAW2???…i’d like to see that for myself dude

im highly interested in GRAW

+ MrCamo on July 30th, 2007 at 2:39 pm said:

All i can say is that i am glad i got a Playstation 3 when i did. I am able to at least keep up with the history of the updates and featur sets. I am sure that Sony will not dissapoint us with the PS3, given the amount of communication and feedback they are giving us, along with news like this that reminds me who really made a great gaming platform in the first place. Remember the sheer number of titles that were available to the playstation compared to other consoles at the time? Sony goes big and always will. They probably have no ides what they will do, they are probably just trying to figure out what will max out the ps3 and getting ready to begin development with that in mind. Even if the game was an expanded war game or GTA on steroids, it will be a must own.

+ Rockstar desarrollará una nueva franquicia en exclusiva para PlayStation 3 on July 30th, 2007 at 2:42 pm said:

[…] Vía | PlayStation.Blog […]

+ Aggravated Gamers » New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3 on July 30th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

[…] looks like Sony is busy securing the future of the ps3. No details on what the game is more | digg story Share: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and […]

+ Diceburna on July 30th, 2007 at 4:50 pm said:

Nice move Sony…very nice!!!

+ thechosenfew88 on July 30th, 2007 at 5:14 pm said:

@ Loucifer

So far, it has been confirmed for the European PSN. Demo is coming this week, as the articles say on the update of the article.

+ stennex on July 30th, 2007 at 6:17 pm said:

Why is Sony always getting sued. I thought IBM, Toshiba and Sony designed and produce the Cell Chip now Sony is being sued for infringement over the Cell and its parallel processing by a company named Parallel Processing Corporation (PPC). Dang. Yow Sony keep your lawyers alert search for more possible infringements although you probably are doing that now. PS3 must really be very powerful to have so many tech companies claiming stuff.

+ AznSniper on July 30th, 2007 at 6:46 pm said:

What is this Sony Event that I’m hearing from GameSpot from August 9-10?

+ Rockstar develops an exclusive franchise for Sony Playstation 3 on July 30th, 2007 at 7:42 pm said:

[…] Michael Shorrock wrote in a blog post on this new development: “Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look […]

+ Rockstar Announces Unnamed PS3 Exclusive IP, Flamewar Between Console Owners Approaches DEFCON-3 « Citizen Game on July 30th, 2007 at 9:25 pm said:

[…] on the PlayStation blog Michael Shorrock, director of 3rd party relations at SCEA, has announced a new IP, coming at an unspecified time, will be exclusive to the PS3. Nobody know what this new […]

+ RatchetFanatic on July 31st, 2007 at 12:22 am said:

Rockstar Games Presents Mini Ping Pong

+ Wendy Carlyle » Blog Archive » Sony announces PS3-exclusive Rockstar franchise on July 31st, 2007 at 12:50 am said:

[…] director of third-party relations, Michael Shorrock, wrote on the official US PlayStation blog, “As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for […]

+ Rockstar Developing Exclusive PS3 Franchise - eXophase Games Network on July 31st, 2007 at 3:35 am said:

[…] New Rockstar Games Franchise Exclusive to the PS3 [] […]

+ Dexter48 on July 31st, 2007 at 9:27 am said:

Got a question :

Are dev compiling their PS3 games in 64 bits since the Cell is a 64 bits CPU?

+ Slade on July 31st, 2007 at 10:35 am said:

Although some feel its a big pill to swallow, i think its a good move.The GTA 4 is getting up on years,and some new blood needs to be injected.Although it will be hard seeing how its gonna have hype to live up to.I think they will pull it off.Im glad some third parties arent forgetting where they most of their fame and money from and at the same time appeasing their stockholders.Capcom should take note.Thanks Rockstar and keep them coming!!!

+ Argosax on July 31st, 2007 at 12:35 pm said:

It’s good to see this things happen because there are a lot games that don’t use all the available space of the blue ray (multiconsole) and i would like to see a rockstar game that uses all the power of the PS3

+ jigglywiggly on July 31st, 2007 at 2:32 pm said:

@ Michael Shorrock

This is a really long shot asking this question, but this is the place where us PlayStation gamers have the best chance of having our voices heard, and my question falls in your ballpark.

Recently, Midway have (unofficially) said that the PS3 version of Stranglehold will be region locked, and that the PAL version of the game will not feature the Hard Boiled movie on the BluRay disc. Is this true? No games have, to date, been region locked in such a fashion on PS3, and it’s disappointing to see it begin, particularly when gamers in other regions are ending up with content missing in their localised editions.

+ GGL Wire » Top secret Rockstar franchise will be exclusive to PS3 on July 31st, 2007 at 4:04 pm said:

[…] Sony exec announced via PlayStation.Blog that Rockstar Games’ as-yet-unannounced franchise will be exclusive to the PS3. […]

+ Gamers Evolved » Blog Archive » PlayStation 3 To Get A Secret Rockstar Game on July 31st, 2007 at 6:41 pm said:

[…] n the PlayStation blog, Sony exec Michael Shorrock says the new exclusive also isn’t “L.A. Noire,” the […]

+ darcwake on August 1st, 2007 at 1:58 am said:

Playstation 3 is really shaping up to be a really great console! GO PS3! GO ROCKSTAR!

+ Play Beyond - Playstation 3 游戏机全方位报道 » 博客存档 » Rockstar将制作PS3专有游戏 on August 1st, 2007 at 7:33 am said:

[…] Shorrock在Playstation官方博客上证实了这一说法 – […]

+ Sony announces PS3-exclusive Rockstar franchise « Matrice01’s Weblog on August 1st, 2007 at 8:42 am said:

+ Swiss Trev on August 1st, 2007 at 11:05 am said:

@40cal…and @roadclimber

….you’ve both unknowingly hit the nail on the head – MS can afford to make a loss on every console they sell, hell they can probably even afford to give them away. The reason being that they have a long term strategy (to be fair as do Sony & Nintendo). The bulk of the money they make is not in a one off payment of lets say £350 for a system but in the number of games that consumers then subsequently purchase for their desired system – ok, an example being you can buy a car for a one off payment of say £200 (ok, admitted a crap car) but you’ll end up filling it with petrol every week at a cost of lets say £20 a week – after a year you’ve spent far more than you originally paid for the car….errrr, hope you can see what I’m getting at or maybe I’m just tired after working 20 hours straight. Another good example is from a UK company called PCWorld – sign up for a 24 month contract with ‘Orange Broadband’ and you get a free laptop PC…they know that in the long run they’re probably going to be up on the deal (incidentally the laptop isn’t top of the range but it’s no slouch)

Anyways, MS can afford to take this short term hit to increase the Xbox360 user base because they know that the real money will be in the 15+ games that people will buy for their system over its lifespan. Sony has engineered a supreme bit of kit (I’ll admit superior to the 360) but has no choice but to attempt to make it’s money back on console sales and not game sales as the user base isn’t big enough yet….simple fact is that MS make a shed load more money than Sony, sad but true.

40cal, you said – “Microsoft still has not turned a profit on the first Xbox. So Xbox 720? Not likely, Mr. Gates may have the money to support a non profit organization such as Xbox yet it is more up to Microsoft’s share holders”

Hmmm…you think Sony has made a profit on PS3 yet, I don’t think so. And don’t even talk about the whole shareholder side of things – trust me, Japan is far more ruthless than the US as far as shareholders/directors etc. Hell, Sony crucified Ken K just to appease shareholders (the Japanese ethos coming through) whereas the US calls a loss ‘negative profit’….trust me I’ve worked with both parties in the past so I know what I’m talking about.

40cal, you also said – “Oh and in my opinion it’s called the 360 because it puts us back right where we started. I like few PC games that’s why I choose to game on consoles.”

Err…nope, you’ve lost me there, you don’t consider the 360 a console?!…er, care to explain why 90% of all games are released for both 360 & PS3. To say that all 360 games are PC games is quite honestly arrogant, misinformed and a wee bit childish – you remind me of one of the old Spectrum V’s C64 diehards saying ‘Bwhaaa…my system is better than yours!’…oh and if you think that HD-DVD is the pinnacle of what MS is capable of then you can add naïve to the list.

Anyway guys has been fun talking to you – and glad that neither of you used any ‘text messaging’ style of writing….one of my pet hates, nice to communicate with people that can actually talk properly.

Oh and if you’ve got to the end of this then I’m impressed, I probably wouldn’t have bothered. =(

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8