PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Heavenly Sword Prequel

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Aug 09, 2007 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Heavenly Sword marketing guy here. Usually I just watch this blog from the sidelines and let our production teams talk (because lets face it, you guys don’t want to hear our marketing mumbo-jumbo) … but our blog team asked me to elaborate on the recent Heavenly Sword videos we just released, so here it is. Hopefully without all the marketing buzz words.

FLV PLAYER

This week’s release of the Heavenly Sword animation prequel and the “Making of” series marks the start of a five-week video campaign that leads into the game’s release. The plan was to provide an exclusive peek to our GAP members on Mondays, then release publicly on Thursdays via the PLAYSTATION Store and on HeavenlySword.com. But this thing called the “World-Wide-Web,” is an amazing animal that doesn’t do too well with keeping things um, secret. So as soon as it hit our “exclusive group,” it basically spread everywhere (not necessarily a bad thing). The good news is, despite the early release, the benefit of downloading the video on your PS3 is that you can watch it in full HD glory on your HD television screen [cue angelic chorus].

As for the videos – the animation prequel gives you a glimpse of the Heavenly Sword pre-history up until the start of the game. This “making of” series highlights the team’s efforts to bring you Heavenly Sword, focusing on different elements of production. I know many of you can’t wait to play the game (…something about the demo being too short…), but hopefully these will be enough to keep you waiting until September 12.

164 Comments

+ Raziel Dune on August 9th, 2007 at 1:47 pm said:

nice yeah i watched it on monday good stuff :-) and there is way to many angry people on this blog randomly today.

+ Davitr0n on August 9th, 2007 at 1:48 pm said:

@ hammertime

Feel better now that you got that out? All caps is pretty serious. Any comments about the video or Heavenly Sword?

Anyways…
I really like this style of advertising. Maybe because I feel like so much work goes into the animation, or maybe it is just because I like cartoons :P

I would watch it if it was a regular series.

+ Loucifer on August 9th, 2007 at 1:55 pm said:

@hammertime

LOL…your not alone

@Mark

Your right we dont want “marketing mumbo jumbo” we want games and not that u guyz pushed back Heavenly Sword by 8 days (and possibly more with the Sony track record) giving us dumb trailers doesnt make us feel better…sorry

+ Floyd Bishop on August 9th, 2007 at 1:56 pm said:

It reminds me a bit of “Rise of the Kasai” for the PS2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zPgP-iDJ8

+ Dubbedinenglish on August 9th, 2007 at 1:59 pm said:

Great start to the series. Even more cool you give a nod with the art style to the “Clone Wars” shorts. Can’t wait for this game its looking (and playing) great!

+ hammertime on August 9th, 2007 at 2:03 pm said:

oh yer sry the videos rubbish..lol

+ I_Love_New_York on August 9th, 2007 at 2:08 pm said:

Great video guys from Heavenly Sword. The video kind of reminds me of the old school videos of Toonami’s Samurai Jack.

+ Grym on August 9th, 2007 at 2:18 pm said:

Great video.

+ Trojan on August 9th, 2007 at 2:21 pm said:

Nice job guy’s. I love making off’s, especialy of video games. It’s always interesting to see thing from the developer’s point of view. Also it’s very interesting to see which tools they use to create such marvelous games.

Thanks guy’s.

+ I_Love_New_York on August 9th, 2007 at 2:27 pm said:

I hope you guys get a chance to have this video aired on TV because it looks great.

+ frombrosis on August 9th, 2007 at 2:38 pm said:

Downloading it now off the PS Store as we speak!! Looks nice!

+ KatanaKing on August 9th, 2007 at 2:41 pm said:

Gr8, we can look forward to 5 weeks of trailers in the PSN. Its a shame there is no real content on the PSN, i have already seen this video before, whats the point in watching it again, only because its in HD??????

+ Vassago on August 9th, 2007 at 2:45 pm said:

Nice work :) I like animation

+ RicanPlaya88 on August 9th, 2007 at 2:46 pm said:

Cool beanz! Something else for me to watch after playing the demo itself. I never imagined me being hooked up a demo that would be so short, but yet so fun to play. Can’t wait to get home and download this video.

Someone left this comment under the PSN Update article on joystiq. I found it to be pretty funny..

“PSN is so lucky get a video. all we get at XBLM are bunch of game demos for Eternal Sonata, Stranglehold and other games”

Funny, but yet sad at the same time. Maybe sometime down the road things will change. I hope so. :-( Being late investor of the PS3, I already feel like I’m getting nothing for what I paid for, and that was for $500, can’t imagine those who were early adopters…

+ deadxbabiesxinc on August 9th, 2007 at 2:52 pm said:

Cool, i’m also interested in the sequel plans…even tho I’ve yet to play HS completely lol.

Oh…anything up in the PSN store yet?

+ Makasu on August 9th, 2007 at 2:58 pm said:

Amazing episode, love the art style. How many parts will the complete series be?

+ wizardpsp on August 9th, 2007 at 3:08 pm said:

Wow!! thats good nice!!

+ Lp47 on August 9th, 2007 at 3:13 pm said:

I do like these anime series. I’m looking forward to next monday when i get a new GAP email in my inbox.

+ UntoldDreams on August 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm said:

Awesome videos.

I loved Samurai Jack and the Clone Saga so this new Heavenly Sword video just continues the legacy.

Can’t wait to see them all.

+ PsychoEddie on August 9th, 2007 at 3:21 pm said:

@stuntf50

a comment on the taxes on the store

You (and Sony) need to check the taxation laws in your state. Here in California there is no sales tax on Electronic Software Download purchases. Tax is only incurred if you physically take possession of media.

as for your list of demos… I wouldn’t be interested in demos of any of those games except for god of war II which doesn’t/didn’t need/require a demo.
and demos are still a double edged sword. I was on the fence about this game until I played the demo, which pushed me onto the “merciful heavens no” side of the fence. I’m still going to spend the 5 bucks to rent it though…it could have just been a really really bad demo.

+ StormLord on August 9th, 2007 at 3:26 pm said:

are these cartoons going to be on the disk?

+ joel on August 9th, 2007 at 3:31 pm said:

Every week an episode, they should put these on cartoonnetwork and other television shows, it will make the game sell.

+ 40cal on August 9th, 2007 at 3:38 pm said:

@RicanPlaya88

That is funny, 360 owners want videos and we want demos, just goes to show that people always want what they cant have.

+ RobinNL on August 9th, 2007 at 3:42 pm said:

people want the right balance between demos and trailers.

How about a demo for every game and some trailers.

+ GamerMan76 on August 9th, 2007 at 3:43 pm said:

I would love there to be a Heavenly Sword anime series.. that would be wonderful and if you can get that on TV, I would definitely watch it.

Will be downloading this tonight to watch on my TV.

Those complaining about HD formats 720p vs 1080p… Does it really matter if you have fun with the game? I prefer 1080p personally and would like everything in that format but the game is sweet at 720p and I didn’t seem to notice once I got drawn into playing the albeit short demo. I have played the demo multiple times though and am trying to get better that the arials..I have gotten pretty good with the recover when I’m getting pushed into the air but I must suck on the aireal combos cause I just can’t seem to reproduce it everytime I want.. but that comes with pactice and I’m sure once I have the full game it will be easier to practice those combos.

+ HK-48 on August 9th, 2007 at 4:03 pm said:

SONY IS IT TRUE, ARE YOU AQUIRING ROCKSTAR? PLEASE SAY YES, THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS, M$ WOULD GET GTA4 AND SOME EXTRA CONTENT AND YOU WOULD GET THE WHOLE COMPANY! QUICK SONY! SEAL THE DEAL! WHILE YOUR AT IT TAKE 2K, QUICK BEFORE M$ DOES. TO NOT GET OFF TOPIC: NICE VIDEO.

I’M SORRY ABOUT USING CAPS BUT I WANT TO DRAW THIS TO YOUR ATTENTION AND THE EMAIL THING DOESN’T WORK!

+ Raven4960 on August 9th, 2007 at 4:20 pm said:

Five weeks worth of content leading up to the release. Good move from the marketing department, Mark.

I will have to say, as mentioned in your post, the demo was a bit short. Just when you start to get into the swing of things with Nariko, it’s over. Looks really good and played well too.

I’m downloading the video via PSN right now so I’ll chime in on that in a bit.

Cluster Bomb?? I’m afraid I missed the joke…

+ RexNox on August 9th, 2007 at 4:36 pm said:

Perhaps, you should do more research Mark. The forums are filled with people claiming they understand Sony’s marketing. It is nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

+ Flanders on August 9th, 2007 at 4:40 pm said:

As far as demos for third party games are concerned…….it’s obvious that the PS3 is not the primary focus for third parties these days. PS3 is basically getting leftover development time and money from third parties, so they can concentrate on the ‘other’ console. I think most gamers realize this, and most PS3 owners should expect second rate treatment from third parties from here on in. We’re basically the GameCube of this generation.

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on August 9th, 2007 at 4:40 pm said:

‘Ding’

Just caught up to #72…

@zookey, azad_champ & others: yup, there will be some of the videos / episodes on the disc but unfortunately, not the whole series (we couldn’t get all the videos done in time to include in the code before QA and manufacturing submission)

@Kratos_ate_Snake: much appreciated

@hammertime, loucifer: there’s the haterade I was waiting for…

GENERAL – sorry, I have to comment on this, and don’t take this as a rant…Heavenly Sword was never delayed, despite the numerous comments on this and other posts (again, sideline observer).

1 – A while back we (for Heavenly Sword) announced Fall 07, then September 07.

2 – From there the retailers and the press either put the first day of the month or the first mon/ tues/wed (depending on the retailer) of the month, just to add to their coming soon lists.

3 – Then we updated with the Official launch date (9/12), the retailers adjusted and there you have it…

Thanks all, have a great weekend.

+ GamerMan76 on August 9th, 2007 at 4:51 pm said:

@77 lucky I have to wait until i get off work… I wish they had the updates to the PSN would come sooner so I could at least be downloading them.

No unsecure wifi hotspot from work so taking the PSP wouldn’t help me either :(

+ redDragon on August 9th, 2007 at 4:57 pm said:

A consistent stream of content till the game releases is a smart move to keep us busy till the release date. I was getting a little bored myself, but now I’m excited for each week to come =D And thanks for the full HD versions on the store (my old CRT HDTV only runs 1080i)

+ seph1r0th00 on August 9th, 2007 at 5:19 pm said:

I just watched the HD Video off of the PSN. AMAZING! I can’t wait for more of these. Loving Heavenly Sword and I can’t wait to play the game :D

+ Dew87 on August 9th, 2007 at 5:29 pm said:

I love reading these entries, you guys are doing a great job staying in touch with the fans. I really enjoyed the video, it actually reminds me of Samurai Jack, which is brilliant. Can’t wait to see more of those. Keep up the good work :)

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on August 9th, 2007 at 5:38 pm said:

The “making of” video was amazing. best content up on PSN this week. I am really looking forward to this game’s story, and “epic moments” I guess you could say. The acting is amazing also, and the graphics or art style is fresh and unique.

Have you guys been working on this game for 5 years?

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Kyle Shubel on August 9th, 2007 at 5:39 pm said:

The narrator in the anime is not from the game. When a narrator is used in game, Mark was correct, it is generally told from Nariko’s perspective.

I really wanted to say thanks to Mark and his counterpart in Europe. The HS anime are the coolest “marketing tools” I have ever seen created for a game I have worked on in a dozen years in the industry.

+ StuntF50 on August 9th, 2007 at 5:45 pm said:

Hey, Sony guy above, check out comment #17. And respond.

+ Potential Customer on August 9th, 2007 at 5:59 pm said:

I have been watching the next-gen battle from the sidelines so far. I bought a 60″ Sony tv last October when the 1080p input models first arrived with all intention of purchasing a PS3 soon after.

Just so no one thinks my first post is an anti-Sony rant, the 360 is one of the worst consumer electronic products in history.

I understand Hammertime and loucifer’s frustrations. Too bad Sony doesn’t. I would be irate had I paid $600 for a PS3. I have until November 30th to buy a PS3 for $350. I went to Gamestop today to browse the game selection and can’t yet justify a PS3 at that price. I signed up for a Sony card yesterday on http://www.sonystyle.com and am now eligible for $150 off a purchase of $299 or more. Although my PS3 will cost $350 and come with 5 blu-ray movies, I’ll stick with my PS2 and upconverting DVD until Sony commits to making their free online service seem at least as good of a deal as the XBL service and until I see some titles that will make the 360 look like XBOX 1.5.

+ coolasj19 on August 9th, 2007 at 6:03 pm said:

@Mark Vallador
thanks for answering. well now we know you tried. but i still onna have mmy fingers crossed for someway somehow for this to come true.

+ Raven4960 on August 9th, 2007 at 6:08 pm said:

Awesome anime!! Can’t wait for next week.

+ Deathalo on August 9th, 2007 at 6:55 pm said:

The anime looks great, kinda has that Samurai Jack feel to it, I can’t wait to have all these episodes downloaded in full HD glory.

-DH

+ MUGEN02 on August 9th, 2007 at 7:25 pm said:

@91 sorry it looks like the first one is in 720p so i’m sure the rest will be also

speaking of full hd 1080p. Piyatoma the downloadable game that just came out today isn’t full HD 1080p, i have a 1.5 inch border around the picture while playing the game in full pixel mode. i hope this info can be passed along to the right people and have a patch come out soon. also how about 5.1 surround sound instead of just stereo.

+ bobtheduck on August 9th, 2007 at 7:35 pm said:

I agree with #2… These should be on either Toonami (since they can advertise T rated games on Toonami, just not have TV-14 level content) or Adult Swim (if they get more violent as time goes on)

I can’t believe how large this tiny prelude is, though… 350 megs for such a short video… Anyone who thinks digi-distro is the near future must be out of their bloody minds…

+ 40cal on August 9th, 2007 at 8:26 pm said:

@Mark Valledor

LOL,LOL,LOL. Oh yeah! I like it. About time some one from corporate stuck it to the blogers. Nice job.

Anyway, I watched the video, I loved the video, and I can’t wait for the next video.

This is better than getting a demo, well for me anyway, because I really want to play this game. Heavenly Sword is one of the many reasons that I bought my PS3.

+ 40cal on August 9th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

@Potential Customer

I have to say go ahead and get you a PS3. I bought both a PS3 and 360 at launch. And let’s just say that after Microsoft’s “worst consumer electronic product in history”. I no longer own the 360. I used the money to pay for all of my PS3 game preorders. It would take me an hour to tell you about why I will never spend money with Microsoft again.

+ Loucifer on August 9th, 2007 at 8:43 pm said:

@Mark

Im sorry you look at mine and others comments as “haterade”…maybe one day Sony and Developers alike can understand the anger and frustration we hardcore gamers have to endure on behalf of Sony’s DelayStation 3

thank you for your comments however because of Warhawk’s 2 week prior 2 HS’s release, DIRT the day before HS and Stranglehold’s supposed release a week after HS…im afraid i’ll have to pass…perhaps in the future i’ll give the game a whirl

+ joel on August 9th, 2007 at 8:43 pm said:

The term 360 was considered “360 degrees of pure fun” I dont know why i said that but watever. Yo, will all the episodes come out on the ps network just want to know(FINALLY SOME EPISODES OF SOMETHING!).

+ Loucifer on August 9th, 2007 at 8:52 pm said:

@Potential Customer

I bought my PS3 being a loyal Sony user…I would never spend my own $ on anything MS even a PC

My suggestion to you is if your going to buy a PS3 anyway…then just buy it!! Just dont get your hopes up on games/demos or even firmware updates and you’ll be fine…cuz if i had known it was going to be this way i would have waited and wouldnt have bought mine @ launch

FOR THE RECORD: Just becuz i love my PS3 doesnt mean i have to like it…or like Sony for that matter :)

+ PSFaithful on August 9th, 2007 at 8:56 pm said:

Yea, Lair was a day one purchase for me until it got pushed to the same week as Heavenly Sword!

Now I’ll be getting Madden next week & Heavenly Sword & Warhawk 1st week of Sept… and Lair mid Sept.

+ MasterCharged on August 9th, 2007 at 9:26 pm said: