Minecraft PS4

Ratchet & Clank Preview

Jennifer Clark's Avatar + Posted by Jennifer Clark on Aug 16, 2007 // Senior Director, Product Publicity

Last week at Insomniac Games we played host to 45 gaming journalists and gave them a chance to get their hands on Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and preview some new levels, weapons, enemies, and environments. We also demonstrated how the folks at Insomniac are really tapping into the PS3′s capabilities with this title. Check out the video below, it captures the various stages of animation that scenes pass through over a few weeks. Oddly enough, this progression is strangely reminiscent of the generational improvement of PS1 to 2 to 3!

The game is looking spectacular and we think you’ll enjoy the upcoming coverage and media that will appear on all the gaming sites on Friday. Let me tease you with this: imagine Ratchet disguised as a pirate!

139 Comments

+ 40cal on August 16th, 2007 at 8:53 pm said:

R&C= another $60.00 out of my wallet. After R&CF TOD will you guys and gals start working on RFOM part 2? Please!

+ eksMAN on August 16th, 2007 at 10:08 pm said:

cool

+ Hitman_Legend on August 16th, 2007 at 10:09 pm said:

That looks awesome, i can’t wait for it to come out, thanks for the update Jennifer C.

+ RoAcH2285 on August 16th, 2007 at 10:15 pm said:

This one’s gonna be good.Maybe the Demo will hit the store soon.And to let you know I’m thankful
for Dirt and NCAA 08 demos,so thanks.

+ sequoia on August 16th, 2007 at 10:24 pm said:

I love this series. I’m playing through Up Your Arsenal for the 3rd time now, and I still love the humor in it. Can’t wait to see what cool weapons you’ve come up with in the new version, and likely without the bit of slowdown that appears on the older PS2 version. Will pick this new version up on day 1.

+ PHIBALNATION on August 16th, 2007 at 10:38 pm said:

Come on sSony give us some real games this game is for 6 yr. olds.

+ Jeigh on August 16th, 2007 at 10:43 pm said:

Yeah, I second and third the comment made by #38 aaquib. Thank you! :D

And what is the deal with comments like #47?

+ Jeigh on August 16th, 2007 at 10:57 pm said:

PHIBALNATION if you think that then you clearly have the intellect of six year old.

+ konrad on August 17th, 2007 at 12:03 am said:

Well you cant play the old series on PS3 (atleast not R&C 3). The frame rate is horrible. I really hope Sony fixes that soon. Iam probably not the only one that will buy/replay the old games before I get my hands on the first PS3 version of the game.

+ azad_champ on August 17th, 2007 at 12:18 am said:

This game is qwarktastic.

+ KatanaKing on August 17th, 2007 at 12:45 am said:

After playing the demo of heavenly sword that game has become a must buy for me, i can’t wait for it to arrive, as for R&C, i have never played this kind of game before and although it looks amazing, i will have to try before i buy im afraid. I’ll wait for the demo, just hope it doesn’t take forever to be released.

+ hammertime on August 17th, 2007 at 12:53 am said:

Great Now the kids games are on the way !!… this is one thing i did not buy the ps3 for …lol

PURE CR^P !

+ efenili on August 17th, 2007 at 12:58 am said:

I may be alone in this, but this is the #1 game I am looking forward to. I love Ratchet and Clank!

+ StormLord on August 17th, 2007 at 1:12 am said:

Do WANT!

+ mitran on August 17th, 2007 at 1:56 am said:

i must get thies realy nice stuff
sony s pixar film.

+ Luna-C on August 17th, 2007 at 3:13 am said:

Looking great :D

+ coolasj19 on August 17th, 2007 at 5:14 am said:

lol this is funny. yep this i have to get over unchrated. there are to many games coming out. just like the PS2 launch.

+ jedislayer101 on August 17th, 2007 at 5:24 am said:

SONY, PLEASE GIVE US A RATCHET & CLANK DEMO AND POSSIBLY SQUEEZE IN SOME LAIR

+ Dibbz on August 17th, 2007 at 5:35 am said:

Insomniac, you guys are bloody crazy, in a good way ofcouse. Not even a year after Resistance shipped, your already about to release your second title for the PS3! And it looks like a pixar movie. Nice job guys.

+ EViD on August 17th, 2007 at 5:36 am said:

wicked

2 months to go, can’t wait

+ Xenochaos805 on August 17th, 2007 at 5:36 am said:

efenili your not alone this is my number game coming out this fall too. I love Ratchet and Clank I own all of the games and when i mean all i mean also the ones on PSP and Mobile. Insomniac is great, love them. One question what does this new content have installed for me…. I mean us. >.>

+ Davitr0n on August 17th, 2007 at 5:49 am said:

I haven’t played any of the Ratchet & Clank games, but this looks really good. I would like to get it (because everyone seems to go gaga over the R&C franchise games), however, I’m not sure if I can fit another game in financially :(

+ keith72 on August 17th, 2007 at 6:15 am said:

I SO CAN’T WAIT!!! I’ve been a HUGE fan ever sense the first title. I love these guys! Thanks PS.Blog, keep on giving us the stuff that we grave and drool over. It fills the void until the release date.

+ LeetPCUser on August 17th, 2007 at 6:34 am said:

That is really cool how the different parts of the game are shown. You guys are doing a great job at marketing and sharing with the clients how you make the games. I really enjoy it.

+ BradleyUK on August 17th, 2007 at 6:54 am said:

The Video doesn’t work for me, it cuts out in 4 seconds :(

+ jonabbey on August 17th, 2007 at 7:12 am said:

It’s too bad the videos you’re showing on the PS blog don’t work on the PS3′s browser.. *ahem*

+ Dno on August 17th, 2007 at 7:30 am said:

@#-2
same here

+ Makasu on August 17th, 2007 at 8:14 am said:

Preview @ Gamestop: (with new screenshots)

I just can’t believe how good this looks.

+ torotorotoro on August 17th, 2007 at 8:14 am said:

i tried this game out at comic-con and it was so awesome!!! i cant wait for it to come out, im buying it on day 1!! yay, insomniac!

+ ogshady on August 17th, 2007 at 8:38 am said:

Looking great Insomniac. Can’t wait! I’ve bought but one of the R&C games.

+ Godofwar55555 on August 17th, 2007 at 8:47 am said:

I just bought Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and I love it. Seing videos of this game makes me want this game even more. This is coming from a person who just got into this series. I cannot wait for this game, a demo of this would be nice also.

[]^XO

+ Ghost on August 17th, 2007 at 9:19 am said:

warhawk is £19 on psn on August 28
and in shops september 21st in teh uk
yay

+ ziggyd24 on August 17th, 2007 at 9:37 am said:

I am really looking forward to Ratchet and i’m going to get it at day 1 but I would love it if the game had a co-op mode.

Jennifer Clark's Avatar

+ Jennifer Clark on August 17th, 2007 at 9:55 am said:

Glad you guys liked the video and hope you have been able to check out some of the coverage. A lot of you have been asking about a demo on the PlayStation Store. Yes we will have one before the game launches! Stay tuned for a more specific date. And if you are planning to go to PAX, be sure to stop by our booth to play the latest code.

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on August 17th, 2007 at 10:11 am said:

MMMMMMM…… R&C demo….I like……..

+ optimusprime76 on August 17th, 2007 at 10:14 am said:

Pixar errr Insomniac Games is one of the best developers ever.

It’s amazing how every single year, they release a quality game. Just a question to the Insomniac folks: Do you guys EVER plan to do a bad game?

+ 1stgoat on August 17th, 2007 at 10:51 am said:

To anyone who has doubts about this game, go buy a used copy of R&C Up Your Arsenal and your doubts will disappear. I am a R&C newbie myself, and I can’t get enough! Insomniac rules! Now how about that demo?

+ Scarecrow on August 17th, 2007 at 11:08 am said:

Ratchet and Clank has always been ’bout sheer action all out fun.

The games are just fun to play and the story has always been fun all around. Will get this game no matter what.

+ Dubbedinenglish on August 17th, 2007 at 11:18 am said:

Never played the series but am picking this one up very nice.

+ Dibbz on August 17th, 2007 at 11:50 am said:

Nice a demo on the store sounds great. Please get this out to UK around the same time as the US gets it. Games are no longer region protected yet we still get shafted on release dates. There is no localization needed for the UK version. Could you guys explain what the hold up would be for?

BTW your podcast rocks! :p

+ MSUnman on August 17th, 2007 at 12:32 pm said:

How about a demo for PSN soon? We know its out there and available. I cant wait till its available. This does look like the best PS3 that has been made so far. I hope it can live up to my expectations.

+ Kpepe on August 17th, 2007 at 1:24 pm said:

Imma be the newest member to the Ratchet series. Never playd it b4 but PS is my fav system. Hopefully this is the best Ratchet ever.

+ jedislayer101 on August 17th, 2007 at 1:56 pm said:

For all people who still aren’t sure about this game PLEASE just go rent an old R&C game. You will definitely want R&C Future: Tools of Destruction

+ DragonKnight_22 on August 17th, 2007 at 2:03 pm said:

Off topic.

You guys and gals at Sony should buy the rights to M.U.G.E.N.

If you don’t know what that is, it’s a 2D fighting game engine in which people get to create their own fighters, and download sprites of characters from other games like Dragon Ball Z, Street Figther, ad infinitum. There are no limits to the amounts of characters you can have, and it’s a global phenomenon.

Its perfect for the PS3 because characters can be saved on the HDD and you can make a mint off of downloads.

You should REALLY consider it. I know tons of people who LOVE the game, and it would bring a lot of sales to the PS3. Even if you just put the Engine itself on the PSN for download, you can still make a lot of money because it would be great using a console controller and possibly other features that you can’t get on a PC in that game.

Think about it.

+ RoAcH2285 on August 17th, 2007 at 2:29 pm said:

We got a demo coming…..YaY!

+ GordyNYC on August 17th, 2007 at 2:48 pm said:

Is it just me or are these videos NOT COMPATIBLE with the PS3 BROWSER? It seems odd to me that the offical SONY Playstation Blog is not compatible with their own system’s browser. At least a download option in H.264 Format would be nice.

+ vicentecarro on August 17th, 2007 at 3:16 pm said:

You’re right. The video is not complatible with PS3 Browser. Audio is working, but the video is a black still…
Bad choose for a ps3 video, in a ps3 blog…
I hope they fix this.

+ jaydogg691 on August 17th, 2007 at 3:18 pm said:

Great stuff. It’s great to see that the comedy is still there.

As for the Demo comment, is there going to be a new R&C Demo at PAX or the same one that was shown at E3 07? Hopefully it’s a new one because I got my hands on the E3 07 Demo and wanted to play more of the game before it comes out.

+ reesimo on August 17th, 2007 at 4:26 pm said:

I WANT NOW.

+ Micfur on August 17th, 2007 at 4:31 pm said:

Can’t wait for this to drop, we need some big time games to come out for our PS3′s.