PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Aug 21

Aug 21

Folding@home Update

Noam Rimon's Avatar Posted by Sr. Development Manager SCEA R&D

SUPERVILLAN

We are all very excited here for the release of the new Folding@home (FAH) client for the PS3! This latest update addresses issues in two major areas: user requests and improving the accuracy of the core that we have running on the SPU. In addition, we totally revised the rendering engine for the molecules and added a more sophisticated display format, which is closer to the imagery you find in biology textbooks. This actually required a protocol change and the protein needs to be described in much more detail from Stanford University’s side of things.

We’re lucky to have a very dedicated group of FAH users and many of you have submitted requests, and ideas, for improving the application. While it’s challenging to address every issue raised, we did try to address your burning ones, especially those that interfere with the science or slow down the performance of the PS3 computation network.

Another really cool feature that was also requested by the FAH community is the support of PSP Remote Play. In this latest version we enabled this feature so you can now access FAH remotely from your PSP (that you already own, since it’s such a cool little gadget) which is an awesome combination since the CELL processor is actually doing the Folding job, but the PSP fully controls the UI so you can carry it around with you.

Of course, we still kept all the familiar and useful features of previous versions, such as the IP lights and Multilanguage support for all PS3 supported languages.

It is heart-warming to watch the community rally behind this project – this passion is in turn encouraging us to continue to look for ways to make it better.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

nano said:

August 21st, 11:02 am

i love the new proteins

Draicus said:

August 21st, 11:07 am

Glad to see you guys supporting and updating the F@H client.

I’m Folding right now, as I work. ;)

Makasu said:

August 21st, 11:11 am

Looks great! Can’t wait to try it out, when is it available (in europe?)

dk3dknight said:

August 21st, 11:14 am

Looks good im cant wait to test this when
I get home.

Nynja said:

August 21st, 11:18 am

This is a great unexpected upgrade! I have used Remote Play many times, but found it frustrating to decide whether I would leave my PS3 on F@H or in RP mode.

Is this going to be this week’s PSN update? I would guess the answer is no, since the application was never available via the store.

xplosneer said:

August 21st, 11:21 am

IS it out now?
and BTW SWEET EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED THANK YOU SONY! (and stanford!)

nmc75 said:

August 21st, 11:22 am

This is great. I am glad to see that Folding@Home gets updates as well to improve it. I really like the Remote Play support as I have my PSP 2000 on pre-order and can’t wait for the PS3/PSP interaction potential.

Is there any indication that the newer version fixes some of the bugs though, ie; web browser & PS Store graphics not displaying properly after exiting the Folding@Home application after an extensive period of folding (a couple of days)? I’ve run into this issue before and had to reboot the PS3 to fix this.

xplosneer said:

August 21st, 11:25 am

Some people are saying it’s out now, how do I download?

wolverine81 said:

August 21st, 11:30 am

Access folding@home like you normally would and it automatically updates.

wolverine81 said:

August 21st, 11:30 am

Is there a way to disable the screen saver mode folding goes into?

chase said:

August 21st, 11:31 am

i still dont know what this does

xplosneer said:

August 21st, 11:31 am

@wolverine
I am online on my PS3, I loaded folding @ home and it’s still 1.1

Stoffinator said:

August 21st, 11:32 am

Still waiting to be able to download it. Can’t wait. Go team #54376

LeetPCUser said:

August 21st, 11:35 am

These are great features. However, I am not going to use the program until it can run in the background while I am playing games. It would be nice to have it work like downloaded games. If I am on the internet with a game it doesn’t download, but if I am playing a game locally it would.

If that feature comes out I will be running this all the time.

Makasu said:

August 21st, 11:37 am

Hmm, my client doesnt detect an update.

40cal said:

August 21st, 11:40 am

OMG! I can now take F@H on the road with my PSP. Great stuff guys.

sectionz said:

August 21st, 11:44 am

what are the current stats world wide?

darktorns said:

August 21st, 11:47 am

nice update!

hopefully it gets better and better!

Madness3120 said:

August 21st, 11:50 am

To bad you cant turn off your PS3 with the PSP. I would think leaving a device like the PS3 on for hours at a time is a fire hazard.

jerrt said:

August 21st, 11:52 am

this is a good first step, thanks for the update guys. still can’t wait for remote wake up and shutdown of the entire system.

xplosneer said:

August 21st, 11:56 am

Madness
Yeah right.
I have been running folding for a WEEK. 24/7. And it’s 4 inches from wood.

Kraken said:

August 21st, 12:32 pm

Is this update US only, I’m in Norway and there’s no automatic update for me yet.

[…] State University Folding@home Update » This Summary is from an article posted at PlayStation.Blog on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 [ […]

mero4ever said:

August 21st, 12:59 pm

What in god name this folding thing about, I never understood the whole purpose of it. What does it do? what do I gain? what do I expect from it please in light me.

T1TN said:

August 21st, 1:08 pm

it’s available in europe, i’m in the UK and downloading it as i type, it didn’t show up at first so i quit out and in again a couple of times and it found the update

Darkendless said:

August 21st, 1:14 pm

Why does Sony post things like this that mean nothing while they are ignoring the fact that PSM destroyed Lair and Warhawk in reviews

GamerMan76 said:

August 21st, 1:24 pm

mero4ever…If you would actually read the information giving and go to the Stanford University link you would find the information of what it is about.

mero4ever wrote:

I mean really does it always have to be about you. You gain the knowledge that participating in FAH you will be helping in finding the cure to multiple diseases including cancer. You don’t have to participate that is fine but trying to be funny or being rude about something that is for a good cause is not fine. The term by the way is enlighten and I hope this enlightens you.

This statement holds true for anybody that so boldy just brushes this to the side like it’s worthless. Do I fold all the time no, but it’s for a worthy cause.

F@H current projects

Alzheimer’s Disease
Cancer
Huntington’s Disease
Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Parkinson’s Disease
Ribosome & antibiotics
Your participation can help lead to a cure for these diseases.

TheDevilsJoker said:

August 21st, 1:24 pm

Hmmm, it seems more choppy than the versions before hand, like when i zoom in and out its framerate goes through the floor.

Kraken said:

August 21st, 1:26 pm

off-topic yes, but what’s up with PSM US giving Lair and Warhawk such low scores?

40cal said:

August 21st, 1:26 pm

@Madness3120

I have not powered down my PS3 since F@H launched. It is on 24/7. When I am not at the house it is folding, I get home play games for about an hour, and on the weekends it is Blu-ray movie time. And my wife uses the hell out of the web browser. It still runs like it did on Nov 17th.

40cal said:

August 21st, 1:29 pm

@Kraken

Yes I also read that. Still getting both games on day one though. Everyone that has played Warhawk (Beta Team) loved it and Lair is going to be great With Sixaxis Controlls.

Flanders said:

August 21st, 1:30 pm

PS3 has been getting a ton of bad PR and news lately. I look to the official blog for some uplifting news, stuff to make the other other system owners jealous for a change and this is what I find? Folding@home update? Umm…..yay?

pico21 said:

August 21st, 1:31 pm

does anyone know when the American release is scheduled? because i’ve logged onto F@H twice today and no update was available, or at least nothing popped up

Kraken said:

August 21st, 1:34 pm

@40cal
I hope so, was really looking forward to those 2 games.

Loucifer said:

August 21st, 1:44 pm

LOL…well since what i would have said has already been said i guess i’ll make a smaller statement

No offense to anyone involved with FAH since any medical research is a great thing…but i could really care less about it on my PS3…i tried it out @ launch and it does not entertain me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Darkendless

Sony will never directly confront or respond to a direct issue so dont expect it

@mero4ever

you gain nothing!!!! and who knows what the research is used for…for all we know Stanford is a front for sum top secret military project to end the world…LOL

@Flanders

i hear ya dude…Sony is not in the business of uplifting news

chartwel said:

August 21st, 1:44 pm

yeah, still not available in the US. just tried.

Herby said:

August 21st, 1:45 pm

Very Sweet.
Sounds like a great update. I am glad you guys are still updating the client. I can’t wait to update it.
Join the best team around, Official Playstation.com Forums Team #55265

androvsky said:

August 21st, 1:50 pm

@LeetPCUser:

You realize that folding uses the entire Cell processor, nearly to it’s limit? It’s not possible to run something that intensive in the background while playing games (well, maybe ps1 games but that’s it).

If you mean have it auto-run after you’re done playing the game, then you can do that now by setting it to automatically run after the system is idle for a certain amount of time.

xplosneer said:

August 21st, 1:53 pm

@Loucifer
IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO ENTERTAIN YOU. IT WAS MEANT TO BE RUN OVERNIGHT OR WHILE YOU ARE AWAY.

Slapdaddy said:

August 21st, 1:56 pm

[quote]You realize that folding uses the entire Cell processor, nearly to it’s limit?[/quote]

The article states that it only uses one core. Which sounds strange to me, but I can’t make up something else from the article.

Please correct me if I’m wrong (and I probably am), but if it’s true what I’m thinking… Why don’t you guys don’t use the whole processor as much as you can?

coolasj19 said:

August 21st, 1:59 pm

so that means i can remote play and the put my PS3 in F@H and then i cant remote play anymore?

Chaosxeno said:

August 21st, 2:02 pm

Off topic too sorry, but, some people think PSM is an official sony magazine. It’s not official, it tells you that on the cover of the magazine. And PSM always sucked OPM always blew it away. Grats on F@H. Still going to have a great s straight weeks. Wahawk, Lair, and Heavenly Sword. P.S. PSN ID: Anthony805 invite if you want to get destroyed in Wahawk this tuesday.

coolasj19 said:

August 21st, 2:04 pm

@loucifer
WTF!!!!!! its not supposed to entertain you it meant to run oaver night and help Stanford cure desises.

Loucifer said:

August 21st, 2:06 pm

@xplosneer

so…still dont care

I think the general consensus is “I didnt buy a PS3 to leave it running while i sleep or while im away running sum research program” I bought it to play some kick ass mature games!!!…ok enough said :)

Jagzthebest said:

August 21st, 2:07 pm

This is to those that do not know when the update is out/ or how to download and install it. I shall answer both.

First of all, I do not know the date it was released, but I checked and it is already out. That goes for Europe too.

Secondaly, to download and install it, go to Network> Folding@home and launch it. It will then come up with the update notification. First you will have to download it, then install it. The process is similar to the PS3 firmware update when selected from ‘Settings’. It should only take a short time to download and install.

Then it will go back to the XMB and you must launch it again to see the changes and everything else. Hope that answered some questions. ;) Happy folding!

wizardpsp said:

August 21st, 2:11 pm

For the good of the man kind this is good!!
keep the rock rolling!

gardea said:

August 21st, 2:17 pm

How does the PSP work with it?

Mana Knight said:

August 21st, 2:18 pm

@ Kraken

Did you just hear that the previous Editor in Chief at PSM (Chris Slate) left the magazine and now it’s headed up by a OXM staff member? Basically, the magazine is now headed up by Xbox/360 fans who use to bash PS2/PS3 in their issues. Just look at that article of them wanting to change the entire PS3 controller, to make it look identical to a 360 controller. Before, PSM was all about PlayStation, but now I hear too much 360 stuff mentioned.

Back on topic, the update is really good. Glad people can F@H using the PSP. I know many of my friends are going to be happy.

CitizenInsane27 said:

August 21st, 2:24 pm

I have yet to get the new F@H update to work, I went in, and let it feed through a whole work packet, and then quit out, and went back in, and it still didn’t find the update. What’s up with that?

artofwar420 said:

August 21st, 2:27 pm

I’ll get right to downloading. Thanks much, this is awesome that you guys are making this available in the PS3.

PAGE 1 2 3 5