Driveclub

Amare Stoudemire Mo-Cap

Steve Bolender's Avatar + Posted by Steve Bolender on Sep 10, 2007 // Designer for NBA 08

Amare testing NBA 08.

On Friday, Amare Stoudemire came to our San Diego motion capture studio to perform, conduct some interviews and be photographed and filmed. Decked out in a black and blue mo-cap suit fitted with numerous sensors he shot jumpers, went through his free throw routine and then he unleashed some sweet dunks. This man can dunk with power and authority! It’s one thing to watch him tear it up on TV, but in person, close up, his athleticism and speed are really amazing.

A pack of journalists followed his every move using still cameras and movie cameras with lights illuminating everything in their path to an incredible degree. In fact they were so close during his high-flying dunks I was a bit concerned – for Amare, not the camera carriers.

After throwing down a particularly nasty windmill dunk Amare was ready for a bite to eat. He asked for a blueberry muffin and some water. About 3 seconds elapsed before he had the requested snack in front of him. Now here is where I couldn’t hold in the laughter. You’d think the journalists would turn off the cameras and wait for him to grab a bite and then turn the cameras back on. No way. They continued to film him as he took a bite off his blueberry muffin and had a sip of water. I suppose it’s all in a day’s work for an NBA star but it would unnerve me to be filmed while trying to have a quick bite. Not Amare. Didn’t faze him in the slightest. He was good-natured exuding a sense of humor throughout the entire session. Not only is he an amazing baller, he’s a great guy too.

With the mo-cap session concluded, he changed out of the mo-cap suit into a Suns uniform and the two of us sat down to play a game. It was Amare and myself playing NBA 08. Very cool. Amare suggested the loser of our game had to drop and perform 10 push-ups. I agreed and it was game time. He took the Suns and I selected Seattle. During the 5-minute quarter we traded baskets pretty evenly. You can tell he’s done this before, as he has some video basketball skills in his arsenal too! There was some light-hearted trash talk during our game but when the quarter came to an end, the Sonics had a 1 point lead. He was then whisked off for interviews as I basked in the glory of my 1 quarter victory. Since the game was never played to its conclusion we’ll never know who would have had to pay off the 10 push-ups challenge, but I like to think I’d be the one counting while he did the work.

If you’d like to check out some previews of NBA 08 for the PS3 hit: Gametap.com or IGN.com: IGN.com.

Ballin'!Amare checking out the footage.Look at that smile.

32 Comments

+ lakaihigh on September 10th, 2007 at 1:36 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t believe that Amare is going to be the face for NBA 08′ and I can’t wait to see what they have improved upon for this game (sixaxis controls).

+ brambler on September 10th, 2007 at 2:04 pm said:

Well Sony, your MLB Games seem to get good reviews. Is this the year your NBA game will step it up and be worth looking at?

+ Floyd Bishop on September 10th, 2007 at 2:13 pm said:

I was at the session, and Amare is tall! I’m an animator on the game, and in my opinion, it’s playing way better than NBA 07 did. The addition of the SixAxis controls add so much. I think the players are really going to enjoy this year’s game.

+ 40cal on September 10th, 2007 at 2:16 pm said:

Played the live 08 demo last night. I will be getting NBA 08 this year.

+ RoAcH2285 on September 10th, 2007 at 2:29 pm said:

Man thats sweet.Sony’s NBA games are easily the best B-Ball titles that there is.Played the NBA LIVE 08 demo from EA and well I like NBA 07 better.Now with NBA 08 on the way I know how I’m goin to be Ballin.

+ Morock on September 10th, 2007 at 2:30 pm said:

wat a lovely natured read there steve bolender. enjoyed it, thanks.

+ gardea on September 10th, 2007 at 2:35 pm said:

Nice, so all the animations in the game are from this guy?

+ KatanaKing on September 10th, 2007 at 2:42 pm said:

live 08 demo sucked big time, major lag and terrible animations.

+ hot pockets on September 10th, 2007 at 2:48 pm said:

ive played live 98 to 01′ since then ive been in the 2k series since EA IS GARBAGE! give more stuff about nba 08 to convince me why it’s better than the 2k series.

+ Random on September 10th, 2007 at 3:04 pm said:

MAN! the SIXAXIS just shrinks in his hands lol

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on September 10th, 2007 at 3:09 pm said:

BALLIN!!!

+ XxBigP123xX on September 10th, 2007 at 3:20 pm said:

i dont play/watch sports so i dont care about this game. especially since it’s multi platform.

+ Voozi on September 10th, 2007 at 3:34 pm said:

@XxBigP123xX

NBA 08 is a Sony made NBA game, EXCLUSIVE to the Playstation consoles.

NBA Live 08 is EA’s NBA game which is multiplatform
NBA 2K8 is 2K’s NBA game which is multiplatform
NBA 08 is Sony’s NBA game which is exclusive to Playstation as I said before

+ Destroyer41139 on September 10th, 2007 at 3:37 pm said:

@ XxBigP123xX This is made by sony and is not multi platform. nba live 08= ea games, Nba 08=sony

+ RandomEarthling on September 10th, 2007 at 3:40 pm said:

I hope there isn’t a cover curse for this game. I’m in Phoenix and I would love to see the Suns on top.

+ ryjo965 on September 10th, 2007 at 4:05 pm said:

God, these blog entries are boring

+ joel on September 10th, 2007 at 4:15 pm said:

NBA 08 has the best gameplay but sadly the worst graphics thus far as too what I have seen.

NBA LIVE 08 has the best graphics but does not play as good as NBA 08

+ IceCold on September 10th, 2007 at 5:04 pm said:

Wow, Ok so i have been playing NBA games since live used to run teh show. Personally i think Sony has a long way to go to catch up in the BBall arena. 2K7 has solid gameplay, great animation, great ball physics, great moves on teh court (no gliding on the court), but it lack an in depth owner mode although the street challenge (forgot the name) was a great addition. The player models look good but not great, more alian like at times. Live 08 has impressive player models and the post up gameplay is solid. It feels like you ahve control over what type of shot you are looking for. 2K7 has better shot ption in my opinion, but 2k7 post game is not as strong as Live 08 as far as the demo goes. Hopefully 2K8 will play in 60 fps like Live 08. With all this being said and the new foot plant technique used in 2k8, Sony has some work to do. After playing NBA 07 it felt as if i was taking a huge leap backwards in a basketball game. Player movement was not that great. The player models looked more like clay. NBA 08 just didn’t feel liek a solid BBall experience. Anyways, as it stand 2K8 still as my vote, unless the gameplay in Live improves a little. Lives visuals are stunning (except crowd), and NBA 08 is lacking all around.

+ Lithgow on September 10th, 2007 at 5:53 pm said:

No one buys a PS3 for sports games, though. More for the hardcore gaming type. I mean, you can PLAY sports games on a PS3, obviously. But if you want to be a preppy sports guy on your games then go buy a 360.

+ Peluso5655 on September 10th, 2007 at 5:58 pm said:

Interesting indeed hope you´re looking for the Coyote revenge weekend 1 dollar PRICE CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Andrewbond on September 10th, 2007 at 6:44 pm said:

Sony needs to beat NBA 2K8. One of the best NBA basketball game out there.

+ Fabi on September 10th, 2007 at 8:21 pm said:

Yeah but where are the 7 year old PS1 one games? Japans got ‘em, why don’t we???!!! Just kiddin. Hehe. We need SmashBrosBrawle on the PS3. Let’s kidnap it.

+ turstkill on September 10th, 2007 at 10:09 pm said:

I’ve never heard of this guy. is he any good?

+ hot pockets on September 11th, 2007 at 7:08 am said:

what are you talking about that ps3 isnt for sports games. sports games are the usually the main reason for people to buy consoles. look at ps2. it was all bout the sports games… people who are so crazy into “gaming” buy those PC’s and then turn even more crazy to be totally anti-console… consoles are for sports games and resistance type of games… handhelds for puzzles, racing… pc for fps, rpgs

+ Vito Raliffe on September 11th, 2007 at 8:02 am said:

I really enjoyed reading this blog. Nice to know everyone had a good time. I wanna do some motion capture sometime myself. Blueberry muffins FTW!

+ tatinhawk on September 11th, 2007 at 2:47 pm said:

That it’s going to be cool! I cant wait to have NBA 08!! BTW I know this doesn’t have anything to do with NBA 08 but since this is a place where we can share our opinions… I’ve just read at Gamespot that there was a rumor about a “Ninja Gaiden 2″ screens for Xbox… If that’s true. Sony please don’t let it be a 360 exclusive I really would like to play it on my PS3

+ Chuck-FN-Norris on September 11th, 2007 at 6:55 pm said:

Looks like a few post are missing.

+ xplosneer on September 11th, 2007 at 8:31 pm said:

@chuck

???
Oh no post today is that what you are saying? I agree, where are you Sony, tomorrow better be good, WE REQUIRE NEWS DAILY!

+ warezIbanez on September 11th, 2007 at 11:01 pm said:

@19

You need to get out of the basement more…

@23

You should as well, I dunno, but Stoudemire (although he’s a rival of my Sonics *good pick, Steve Bolender*) is one of the top 5 players in the NBA right now. He’s a great player, that’s for sure (and he’s extremely tall)

+ Kpepe on September 15th, 2007 at 11:53 am said:

Cool. Celebs in my home town. I shoulda gone.