PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Updated PS3 and PSP Firmware

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 11, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Taking into account customer feedback and some internal testing, we will be making available in the next few days a firmware update for the PS3 (1.93) that fixes the network disconnect issue that some of you have experienced as a result of downloading Firmware 1.92. In addition, we are adding a new firmware update for PSP (3.71) as well, which adds many features that readers of this blog have requested.

The main feature we’ve added with the recent updates for PSP is the ability to set themes on your PSP. Over time we will be providing themes on PlayStation.com, our official PSP site and through PLAYSTATION Store. You can download themes based on some of our popular titles. Be sure to download the files into the following location on your memory stick:

psp memory stick

Once you have downloaded a theme, under settings, go to theme settings, select theme and then custom theme to choose the one you want to display.

You can also now play music while viewing photos or a slideshow. First begin playing a track saved on your memory stick, press the HOME or SELECT button, then navigate to your photos under the Photo icon and begin viewing.

We’ve added several other features including scene search for movies, and you’ll be able to read about them in more depth on the usual update page once it goes live. When it does, I’ll update this post with a direct link.

Update: Here’s the link.

409 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 9

+ TCampbell76 on September 11th, 2007 at 11:36 pm said:

While in-game XMB is a nice addition, they need to fix the damn upscaling for PS3 games. They got PS1/2 games to upscale which is great, but please finish the job. My HDTV is less then 2 years old, not an early adopter so I don’t want to hear the excuses. It only supports 1080i – so good ol Heavenly Sword and any other 720p only game gets scaled down to old last gen resolution. This is ridiculous, been a complaint dogged since day one from the PS3 launch and the 360 upscales just fine.

+ BlazeofAce on September 11th, 2007 at 11:38 pm said:

Great job on the updates.

Can you add support for the Epson R280 printer. This is a new printer and the next version of the R260 printer that you already support. The R280 printer looks really good in the living room and matches the color scheme of the PS3 (it is black too).

+ RoAcH2285 on September 11th, 2007 at 11:42 pm said:

The best thing about Sony is they to continue to improve and expand their product line.Bring on the updates.

+ RoAcH2285 on September 12th, 2007 at 12:00 am said:

Oh and as far as the PS3 firmware 2.00 when it comes,perhaps you could think about a internet browser update with the most recent flash player.Theme options for the PS3 like with the PSP firmware 3.70 would be nice and maybe a screensaver option that show your photos in a slideshow would be cool.Just some suggestions.

+ MGShound on September 12th, 2007 at 12:05 am said:

thanks sony, it has been annoying to have to restart the system because the network is disconnecting….appreciate the new update cant wait to get it. looking forward to HOME too….great job guys way be put the foot one step BEYONE the other guys.

+ sasa on September 12th, 2007 at 12:14 am said:

please sony, we want 5.1 sound in XMB !

+ ZoMtEc on September 12th, 2007 at 12:19 am said:

yeah please give us 5.1 sound from the xmb and some container like mkv…

+ androvsky on September 12th, 2007 at 12:22 am said:

@ShinnokDrako:

” “Sony promises ingame XMB with next firmware”….

Ok, i’ve learnt that i can’t trust it anymore, this is the second firmware after that famous sentence… bah…”

They promised in-game XMB in the next MAJOR firmware update, 1.92 and 1.93 are hardly major.

+ Memo on September 12th, 2007 at 12:32 am said:

Thanks guys for fix the network thing

But for me the important thing i want in the new update (maybe in 2.00 ?? ) more resolution options like 1680×1050 (i am using samsung 226bw lots of people use that with hdmi to dvi cable ) if you guys help us about more resolution options it will be nice thanks for everything you guys doing well

Not: Sorry for my english i am from Turkey :)

+ fynebawdee on September 12th, 2007 at 12:33 am said:

I hope 1.93 also fixes the Blu-Ray freezes and lock up issues I have been getting. Everytime I insert a Blu-Ray disc, the system locks up and is unresponsive. I have to manually eject and switch off the system from the back.

+ Torment74 on September 12th, 2007 at 1:18 am said:

News just in Ninja Gaiden is a 360 exclusive title, way to go SONY

+ KatanaKing on September 12th, 2007 at 1:20 am said:

3.71, i just downloaded 3.70 and it added all those features on the PSP……or maybe they screwed the 3.70 up so they had to release 3.71…this sounds more like Sony.
And 1.93 for the PS3???? Great, we can expect 1.94/.85/.96/.97/.98/.99 until 2.0 and HOME arrives with all the stuff we have needed scince the launch of the PS3….oh well, that only means another 6 months of waiting.
Is there any other update except the ‘ fix the network issuses we screwed up due to bad testing’ issuses???

I hope you guys have tested this FW as we wouldn’t want to make the PS3 fans any madder than they already are.

+ x15agent on September 12th, 2007 at 1:21 am said:

With the PSP 3.71 will we be able to listen to MP3′s while playing our games? PSP sure is an awfuly big MP3 player :( I really hate having to use another mp3 player while playing my PSP… FOR HEAVENS SAKE! LET ME LISTEN TO MP3′s through the PSP & PLAY MY PSP GAMES AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

+ KBG29 on September 12th, 2007 at 1:22 am said:

Great update for the PSP. I can’t wait to get a God of War or FFVII theme for the backgound. I am also very happy with the ability to do music and photos. It is nice to see the PSP grow further this far after release.

With that said I would stil like to see a few other features, as I am sure is always expected.I will list what I would like for each of the systems below.

PSP

-PHOTO
+An editor with some fun options
+More slide show options

-MUSIC
+Custom play lists
+Sort bys (Artist,Album,Genre)
+Speed search (like when Ipod jumps A,B,C,…)

-VIDEO
+Set photo as icon

-INTERNET
+Updated Flash
+Memory Stick used for Virtual RAM
+Music while online

-OTHER
+PSN
+Playstation Store
+ability to create new folders

PS3

-Photo
+In depth Image ediiting software
+Animated GIF support

-Music
+abilty to continue from one CD to the next
+Playlist creator
+Quick search ^^^As discribed above^^^

-Video
+Video editing software (To Convert Videos at Minuimum)
+A-B repeat
+Continue play to next video (Sorry if already done)

-Game
+folders for PSOne, PSN, Downloads

-Network
+Updated Flash
+Revamped Store
+RSS

-PSN
+Allow more charictors for messages

-Other
+Folder creation in all catagories
+Same functions aply to external HDD as Internal
+Password protect User
+Time and date when PS button is pressed
+In Game XMB access

-New Sections
+Sony store with Music, TV, Movies, Accessories, PS clothes, Books etc. (Both platforms)
+IPTV (PS3 must, PSP if possible or remote play)
+DVR to go along with IPTV
+Reader for books from Sony store

A little much I know, but it does not have to be tommorrow. I am willing to pay for updates if we can get them faster, but I know many would be mad. All I want is to see these products taken advantage of, because they are both awsome platforms with loads of potental, and the ability to be the ceter of peoples media at home and on the road.

I appreciate all the hard work going on behind the curtain, and hope the best for Playstation in the furtue.

+ Sentry23 on September 12th, 2007 at 1:34 am said:

@62: zomtec.
Well, you can allways wait, but instead I just made a tool (GOTSent) that does a direct conversion of x264 ac3/dts mkv files to h264 avc mp4 with stereo AAC in Dolby Prologic II, so although it is 2 channels, you still get surround.
And you can get 5.1 from the XMB when you create a mpeg2 ps.

Still, 5.1/7.1 AAC in mp4 would be greatly appreciated, but even more so would be subtitles (either srt/ or the standard mpeg4 ttxt/3gpp).
Besides for us, it would make localization of trailers a lot easier for Sony ;)

+ Kidmystic18 on September 12th, 2007 at 1:39 am said:

This Is great, can we get more of these psp firmware notices as well, like you do with the ps3 firmware notice

+ tgammet on September 12th, 2007 at 1:40 am said:

I’d really like the ability to “Go To” with music like we can in video. I hate when I lose my place in long podcasts or something and have to fast forward through an hour of talking to get back to it :(

+ Strboymo on September 12th, 2007 at 1:45 am said:

all I have to say it. Thank you

err and uhmm xmb ingame, custom soundtracks and anygame crosstalk would be nice too ^^

did i mention…thank you? lol

+ shinigami-lighto on September 12th, 2007 at 1:54 am said:

Hi, thanks for the new updates on the PS3 and PSP. I been grateful that i havent had any problems with either one of them. What i did notice on the PSP is that when you play the photos and listen to music, the photos tend to load slower. I guess because of the lack of power the PSP has, but i was wondring if anyone here has this same problem? I have the new silver PSP. Oh, and also i been looking everywhere for the component cables to hook the PSP to my TV. Where can i get them? No one seems to have it and i have checked every electronic store here where i live (McAllen TX). Thanks!

+ speadfreak92 on September 12th, 2007 at 2:12 am said:

ability to choose the colour of the XMB on the PS3 i only want it black! not inline with the time of day, and date!

+ Kum0 on September 12th, 2007 at 2:17 am said:

Can you please stop releasing Firewires I mean WTF!

Why not spend a few months compiling then release one big one.
The PSP update is so LONG and tedious.

Download, Install, Make Sure its plugged in with good battery life.

Might even have to delete files on M2 to get space. Download and installation should not be so tedious!

+ Smoutefretter_BE on September 12th, 2007 at 2:19 am said:

great the update 1.93 was necessary, I had to many disconnects :(

what I also want to see (for Europe) are PREPAID CARDS!!! I want to buy some items in the store but i simply can’t because i haven’t got a CC (and i’m not planning to get one).

Keep up the good work sony and please think about the prepaid cards!

+ thedirector on September 12th, 2007 at 2:33 am said:

nice update only, but would like to have the ability to create my own theme, now that would be cool.

create a tool, so people can create there own theme

nice job though

+ saunderswan on September 12th, 2007 at 2:36 am said:

Excellent work keep’em ROLLIN

+ irnchriz on September 12th, 2007 at 2:42 am said:

How about the following:

1. In game XMB (we all want this)
2. Access to and chat with (voice and text) multiple friends during gameplay (cross game chat too).
3. Play music from the XMB which persists through loading and playing any game. (e.g. I start off a 100 track playlist and then load RFoM, music keeps playing as custom soundtrack, I exit the game, music continues to play, I load up Madden, music keeps on playing un-interupted.)

Three incredibly simple things to add to the service. How hard could it be to do this??

+ Kum0 on September 12th, 2007 at 2:55 am said:

Plus PSP themes aint working on my Launch PSP

Has latest firmwire.
Had to add a THEME file to the PSP menu
Downloaded 3 themes off the site
Placed them in the folder.

It finds them (no name)
Says the file is corrupt. Just like Videos PSP is a mess with customisable functionality

+ AoSora00005 on September 12th, 2007 at 3:11 am said:

PS3/PSP remote play needs wake up on LAN, plus needs to have the option to run in background when PS3 is actively being used for media functions. Otherwise another excellent update, thanks Sony!

+ Gadbury on September 12th, 2007 at 3:43 am said:

Under what conditions were / are the disconnects occurring?

+ Skid_MacMarx on September 12th, 2007 at 3:57 am said:

I currently have the video going via HDMI and audio via the AV MULTI analog to a stereo amp.. Can the PS3 engineers consider outputting audio simultaneously via HDMI and Multi AV?
BTW since the 1.9 firmware updated.. I find I must occasionally reenter the HDMI/LCD tv rresolution at start-up.. This never happen before.. Is it a glitch only for consumers have a similar set-up, ie video —>HDMI and audio —>AV MULTI.

Also the european compatibility site has not been updated since version 1.8
Didn’t 1.92 deal with compatibility issues? or was that just for US titles.

Will the Ratchet & Clank PS2 titles eventually be brought up to speed .. to work appropriately on both the european and us emulation consoles?

+ Athanasios on September 12th, 2007 at 4:15 am said:

Thanks for the great PSP update! Photo viewing during music playback, PSP themes, and a new video progress seletion feature is pretty nice. I would love to see the latter two find their way into a future update for the PS3! Thanks for the PS3 fix and a great PSP update!

+ Loucifer on September 12th, 2007 at 4:18 am said:

here we go again with the in game xmb posts…get over it we arent getting it any time soon at all

+ kenji on September 12th, 2007 at 4:29 am said:

Nice work on the PSP update. I’ll be playing heavenly sword for the next couple of days if I can find my copy today, so that I won’t be waiting for these updates.

+ cduran02 on September 12th, 2007 at 4:37 am said:

Great PSP update, I love all the new features added. Now it would be great to have those same features on my PS3, especially scene selection.

+ zapruder on September 12th, 2007 at 4:51 am said:

I hope the psp server error will be fixed (20000006)

+ grognard66 on September 12th, 2007 at 4:59 am said:

I would far prefer getting fewer firmware updates (i.e. patches) so Sony can take the time to optimize them. This way the download sizes can be smaller, install faster and have fewer issues (no more patches to fix patches) since the software team will have more time to work on these.

The “other” console releases two updates per year which pack in far more significant updates in a tiny file that installs instantly. Maybe Sony can fall somewhere in the middle with quarterly updates (spring/summer/fall/winter). If I wanted to install updates every week or two I would have just stuck with PC gaming…

+ burnt4169 on September 12th, 2007 at 5:06 am said:

What we really need is to be able to listen to the music any time. For instance during a game, while scrolling through the xmb, using the web browser. that would be too sweet!

+ jryi on September 12th, 2007 at 5:13 am said:

Great work, I especially like the scene browsing while watching videos. Easier to get to the point I was last watching in OnTheSpot (which my RSS loader automatically fetches when it appears on Gamespot pages).

Feature wish:

PSP as a remote controller.

I would like to be able to play CDs and MP3s without turning on the video projector. If I were able to route the audio to my amplifier (as opposed to PSP speakers) while locally connected, I could just keep my PS3 on with Remote Play waiting for PSP to connect.

You guys should probably open a site where people could submit feature wishes and give points to what they think is important. But I must say: I love the pace with which you are making these improvements. If only all hardware manufacturers were as devoted.

+ C-h-a-o-s on September 12th, 2007 at 5:17 am said:

Is the PSP ever going to get PSN? I think it’s crucial to PSP owners without PS3′s like my self.

+ terminatorvsmtrx on September 12th, 2007 at 5:49 am said:

sounds good… u should give ps3 owners themes too, we should be able to customize it more, I want to change the color of the xmb and that squiggly thing in the background on the fly

+ Guap on September 12th, 2007 at 5:56 am said:

@92: You think SONY likes having to continually release updates for the PS3/PSP? I don’t. I think that if it were up to them their consoles would be absolutely perfect in everyway that updates would not be required. So just try to lay off of the anti-update attitude and try appreciating the effort SONY is putting in the satisfy us videogamers.
@94: This is the site where we give our ideas and improvement suggestions.

Here’s my PS3 update wish list:

-Support for wireless file transfers from PS3 to PC (vice versa) via bluetooth or wireless lan.
-XBM
-Ablility to select the image used as the PSN profile avatar.
-PS3 RSS video/audio stream/ web page news articles.
-Ability have remote play run in the background.

PSP update wish list:

+ hango on September 12th, 2007 at 5:58 am said:

MKV format support PLEASE :-)

+ Guap on September 12th, 2007 at 6:07 am said:

Here’s my PSP update wish list:

-Ability to play Sony Cybershot videos on the PSP via memory stick duo.
-PSN.
-Support for wireless file transfers from PSP to PC (vice versa) via bluetooth or wireless lan.
-PSP RSS web page news articles.
-PSP personal organizer/planner.
-TV guide app.

+ Enforcer_X on September 12th, 2007 at 6:08 am said:

Will it ever be possible to make our own themes?

Also I am still holding out hope for multi channel decoding in the XMB from video files stored on the HDD.

I agree with post 94 (jryi) a site dedicated to firmware requests for PSP/PS3 live votes on the most popular features requested. Possibly a candid blog about what’s possible what’s not possible to close the book so to speak on certain things I know it is probably not Sony’s policy to discuss firmware before it’s release but it would be nice to know what’s being worked on and when to expect it.

Keep up the great work and hopefully Warhawk will be all fixed up now!

+ Guap on September 12th, 2007 at 6:15 am said:

Here’s my Playstation blog update wish list:

-Ability to change our password.
-At the PS blog login screen add “forgot username” option.
-PS Blog web page, font color brightness increase. Grayest color font too dark for my eyes and which causes strain.
-Create a catagory where we can input our ideas for future games and hardware.

+ tatinhawk on September 12th, 2007 at 6:33 am said:

Thanks for the update!!!
Sony please bring Ninja Gaiden 2 for the PS3 don’t let it be a 360 exclusive…!!!

+ axerow on September 12th, 2007 at 6:42 am said:

Some of my feature ideas to PSP:

- PDF support
(PSP is ideal to read, and if you on a trip, or on the bus heading to the university, this feature can be very handy..)

- The ability to set a default encoding in browser
(because now need to switch back after every single pageload..)

- Supporting of subdirectories
(music,video,photos..)

- A normal (not just podcast) RSS client
(one of the best example: the Safari browsers built-in rss reader…..very spartan, very good!)

And last but not least:

- Just one more color to XMB: black
(Like on PS3..)

+ L3371 on September 12th, 2007 at 6:44 am said:

Dear Sony,

Please have a large team focus on a big patch like what M$ calls a Service Pack for christmas so when I put in new or old games\movies I know they will work and that if I go to the Sony Store I know I can browse through a large inventory of PS-1 games that I can play on the PS3 or PSP. I too have a huge complaint about the Music Player, contact Apple and get exclusive rights to have iTunes player and iPod compatibility on the PS3. Everyone I know has iTunes and an iPod. Combine that with XMB or better and the Xbox freaks at Gamestops will finally shut up. Also I have heard that if PS3 loses Devil May Cry and MGS that many PS3 die hards will die or buy an xbox.

+ snerfu on September 12th, 2007 at 6:46 am said:

I would like to see at least some of the free audio/video codecs. vorbis/xVID/theora. Ogg containers would be nice.

+ gorfuc on September 12th, 2007 at 6:46 am said:

Great work so far sony,

any chance of giving us the option to enable/disable the bluetooth in the PS3 so i can use it totally wired without any signals flying around. It’s doing strange things to some other devices i have around the house. I’ve spoken to a few other people who have had the same problem so i think it would be a very welcome option for some of us.

Would be great if you could, thanks.

PS the PS3 is class

+ xavieur on September 12th, 2007 at 6:49 am said:

sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3, sleep timer on ps3

wake up timer on ps3, wake up timer on ps3, wake up timer on ps3, wake up timer on ps3,

why have the ability for remote play via any hotspot and not have the ability to set ur ps3 to turn on and off….like my dame expensive TV….suppose im in jamaica with my psp..do i have to leave my ps3 on for 2 whole weeks?

a music equalizer on ps3, a music equalizer on ps3, a music equalizer on ps3, a music equalizer on ps3,
the psp got one