PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Updated PS3 and PSP Firmware

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 11, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Taking into account customer feedback and some internal testing, we will be making available in the next few days a firmware update for the PS3 (1.93) that fixes the network disconnect issue that some of you have experienced as a result of downloading Firmware 1.92. In addition, we are adding a new firmware update for PSP (3.71) as well, which adds many features that readers of this blog have requested.

The main feature we’ve added with the recent updates for PSP is the ability to set themes on your PSP. Over time we will be providing themes on PlayStation.com, our official PSP site and through PLAYSTATION Store. You can download themes based on some of our popular titles. Be sure to download the files into the following location on your memory stick:

psp memory stick

Once you have downloaded a theme, under settings, go to theme settings, select theme and then custom theme to choose the one you want to display.

You can also now play music while viewing photos or a slideshow. First begin playing a track saved on your memory stick, press the HOME or SELECT button, then navigate to your photos under the Photo icon and begin viewing.

We’ve added several other features including scene search for movies, and you’ll be able to read about them in more depth on the usual update page once it goes live. When it does, I’ll update this post with a direct link.

Update: Here’s the link.

409 Comments

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9

+ EvoAnubis on September 16th, 2007 at 1:37 pm said:

The scene search is awesome!

+ gorfuc on September 16th, 2007 at 4:50 pm said:

please give us the ability to turn the bluetooth on and off, would be great.

+ Laughed on September 16th, 2007 at 5:13 pm said:

Also, let us know if our voice has been heard. Let us know if there are planned updates including some of the features we are looking for, must of us don’t need dates as long as you don’t mean in the next 5 years you may or may not have so and so feature. Keep a list and let us know whats been added and that these things are making its way through the pipeline. It’s been a year and what have YOU accomplished? Wallpaper? Seriously!

Keep in mind, whats important to us should be very important to you. Also, not everyone has patience let alone the demands of a gaming community, or at least this gamer. Just because we have been willing to wait it out doesn’t mean these things shouldn’t have happened yesterday. Where do you think your community is going to be in another 3 months (besides pulling out there hair) if we (or more importantly, I) don’t see some serious work put into our PS3′s via the fw update. You can’t string us along forever, sooner or later somethings got to give.

+ aceooooooooo on September 17th, 2007 at 2:01 am said:

Had no problem with my internet connection before the 1.93 update now after I updated, I can not connect to the playstation store, can’t connect to the net and most of all i cant play warhawk. Why do i want to spend $40 on a game that I cant even play. So my question is when will u be releasing a update to fix this problem.

+ Loucifer on September 17th, 2007 at 4:44 am said:

LOL…wow ppl still having issues and Sony still ignoring…thats awesome :)

+ irnchriz on September 17th, 2007 at 9:59 am said:

@336

It would be utterly pointless using the memory stick as RAM due to the slow read speeds, M/S 10MB/s compared to HDD of up to 40MB/s

+ MrCamo on September 17th, 2007 at 11:23 am said:

One of my friends downloaded the new update and now he cannot load his Rainbow 6 data. Just heads up. I am not sure if this is a widespread problem, or if it is just his bad luck:(

+ frito on September 17th, 2007 at 12:03 pm said:

PLEASE FIX THE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS!!!

I STILL CAN’T PLAY WARHAWK!!!

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR A WEEK AND A HALF!

CMON SONY! THIS IS BAD BUSINESS!!

+ Loucifer on September 17th, 2007 at 1:48 pm said:

@frito

bypass your router and go str8 to the modem

Sony aint gonna help you so no sense in asking

+ 40cal on September 17th, 2007 at 2:29 pm said:

I guess I feel lucky because I have had no problems with any of this. I feel bad for all you guys.

+ MID_EAST_GAMER on September 17th, 2007 at 4:12 pm said:

FINALLY, i can play online!!!! THANK YOU SONY!

+ frito on September 17th, 2007 at 6:25 pm said:

thanks for your ideas, Loucifer, but something seems to have gone haywire..I even brought my PS3 to a new connection hardwired…no dice..I’ve tried all the solutions proposed, even what Sony said on the phone…

Oh well…I was so hyped for the PS3 when my girlfriend got it for me at launch, like a kid again..I never saw this coming! First before all the 1.92 and 1.93 problems, my media server just stops working, my sixaxis controller randomly freezews up or even shuts down when fully charged…

and now all this firmware nonsense…they essentially have junked my online capabilities!!!

DOH!

I honestly know the PS3 will become the best..but as it it right now, I feel like us, the early adopters, are basically still a bunch of BETA testers…

man I hope they can fix this!

@40cal thanks man, it IS heartbreaking to have paid $60 for Warhawk and STILL can’t play it with all of you!

+ Tom200 on September 17th, 2007 at 6:25 pm said:

I like the newest PSP updates, even the added theme stuff, can’t wait to customized. When will we get Playstation Store on PSP?

+ roadrunner on September 17th, 2007 at 8:06 pm said:

ok i might be missing something and this is probably a really stupid question, but why is it that you guys are holding out on us with not letting the psp do everything it actually do? like those theme things were out for that homebrew crap a lonnnngggg time ago. so if it can be done why make us wait? im loyal to keeping my psp with no hack or anything so im just wondering cause its like what the hell man?

+ Spy MasterX on September 17th, 2007 at 9:20 pm said:

i reckon for the next update, not including all the bugs, that there should be an alarm function set so it comes with a default alarm sound but u can also choose to have a song play for the alarm. Also you should be able to change the name of your files and folders under photo, music, and movie without having to connect your PSP to a computer.

+ aceooooooooo on September 18th, 2007 at 3:16 am said:

I think we need a defrag program to clean up are hard disks so downloaded content will run and load up smother and quicker

+ AoSora00005 on September 18th, 2007 at 3:47 am said:

I notice there is still a bug in MP4 video playback, via media server or USB connected hardware. Every now and again the sound will cut out and the video stream will fast forward for a few seconds. After this the sound is broken. The workaround is to do a rewind on the stream for a few seconds and replay the section. It usually works after that. Not a big problem but one that has been consistent through all firmware upgrades on my own system.

+ saunderswan on September 18th, 2007 at 5:00 am said:

its a good time to be European right now we have been shafted in a few ways like PS3 price we paid way more and our PS store is pants compared to the american store but on the bright side we have had no issues with the last 2 FW updates so atleast we aint getting it from all sides

+ al1977 on September 19th, 2007 at 11:10 am said:

Like a lot of other people have already said, I would also like to password protect User accounts on XMB and be able to create folders in each section of the XMB, especially the Games part so that the Demos are seperated from the full games. Another feature I want is to be able to delete players from the Players met list.

+ CyberGenie on September 19th, 2007 at 11:45 am said:

Nice. All I ask for in regards to the next update is the ability to read documents (txt, or whatever) without having to convert the text to JPG. Couldn’t you create a PSP version of Sony Reader?

+ jozza81 on September 19th, 2007 at 6:23 pm said:

SONY, please rethink the way you are distributing updates!

Only a couple of weeks ago I had to have my playstation running overnight just so I could download the last “trivial” update, now this!

I hate being locked off from playing my favourite game because some stupid update got released to fix up the last stupid update that didn’t change anything!

My recommendations?

1. Distribute more meaningful updates OR make the downloads smaller.

2. If system is not up to date, only lock off parts of the system that are affected by the last update.

3. Using the DOWNLOAD MANAGER to allow downloading of updates – I am sick to death of the downloading dying at 50 or 75% and it wastes bandwidth (duh)

You guys seriously need to have your processes audited for user friendliness. I have a feeling that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

One more useless update and my ps3 is going on ebay

+ nitsua78 on September 19th, 2007 at 9:28 pm said:

Just a few things I’d like to see come to the PS3 firmware:

1. Remote PS-Store download queuing. I just read Kaz announced at TGS-07 that the PlayStation Store would be available on PC via web browser. It would be great to be able to build a download list of free/purchasable items on my PC at work and let my PS3, which is running Folding@Home 24/7, start downloading before I get home. I’m currently stuck with a 2Mb DSL connection and this would help eliminate waiting for downloads to complete tremendously.

2. Automatic downloading of PS-Store content. Since the download manager has been added, I would think it shouldn’t be too difficult to add functionality to it to download a list of free content from the PS-Store and auto-queue some/all of it for download based on simple content category selection. I wouldn’t mind having purchasable content remain as manual downloads.

3. Folder creation throughout XMB categories. Being able to organize my videos, music, photos and especially games would be great.

4. PS3/PSP firmware update being distributed via the download manager. I don’t mind having to download a full firmware file, but having the system be completely tied up for the entire download is a bit annoying. (PSP’s 23MB isn’t so bad. PS3′s 100MB+ is a bit much, especially since you can play a game and download content/demos at the same time, but not download the firmware update.)

5. A clock display. I don’t care exactly where. In the background of the XMB, somewhere when you hit the PS button. It doesn’t really matter how it’s displayed. Either the upper or lower right corner would be fine with me.

6. A text/pdf reader. Enough said.

7. Full XMB support in games. I know, you’re heard/read this about 50 gazillion times now. I just wanted to add my name to the list of users anticipating this. But I’ll be patient and not whine about it – I know it’s coming at some point and I’ll be a happier camper the day it arrives.

Keep up the good work. I seem to find the console and the games getting better each week.

+ Laughed on September 20th, 2007 at 7:20 am said:

@345/ MrCamo: Interesting you asked for that feature. It appears Sony read your mind. Here’s a link.

+ chavalo on September 21st, 2007 at 3:02 pm said:

Everytime I want to update via internet to 1.93, I get an error message (8002F994). No matter what, when download reaches 30% I get the same error over and over. Any comments?

+ atradeus on September 22nd, 2007 at 9:27 pm said:

I wanted to put my vote in for what I would like to see for the PS3 updates. I use the Blue-Ray for movies quite a bit and I have the Onyko receiver that supports HD audio. I would like to see the PS3 either pass through both DTS and Dolby HD audio as either bitstream or multichannel PCM. As I write this I am watching Stargate which has DTS HD, but the PS3 doesn’t support it. Ohhh… and if ther was support for Guitar Hero, I would actually use the PS3 for games too.

+ tezza2007 on September 26th, 2007 at 3:01 pm said:

hi any sign of a new update yet sony???

+ 2ndPSP on September 26th, 2007 at 9:54 pm said:

YAY, now release the PSP camera. I’m not buying a PSP slim by the way. sorry for you, but as my name says I have two PSPs because the screen of one is cracked. I spent too much already I can’t afford to buy the new one, maybe someday.

+ crazyeighty8 on September 28th, 2007 at 9:58 am said:

Anyone else think the remote play function of the ps3 & psp is really exciting?. With the introduction of PLAYTV not only can you set to record programs from anywhere in the world, you should also be able to watch them. Not only that but you could control any wireless enabled device so you could run your bath or start cooking dinner or turn on your lights, all via remoteplay.

+ mynci90 on October 4th, 2007 at 7:14 pm said:

I am really liking the new 3.7 firmware, i really like the new theme settings, and the new video search functions; i haven’t had and any problems with it and it is working great for me so far. Sony has been doing a really great job adding and creating new things and programs accrording to what the people have been saying. honestly, if sony had their own operating system… i’d use it over windows. really great job taking in suggestions!

With good comes bad, so here are some suggestions i think would be really cool to see happen in some future psp firmwares…

PSP buddy list!: we need to be able to not only have online buddies, but also track them and what games they are in!

-PHOTO
+An editor with some fun options
+More support for different codec files

-VIDEO
+DivX/Xvid playback

-MUSIC
+Custom play lists
+more visualizations
+make your own playlists in psp instead of creating “groups” in folders on the computer

-NETWORK
+PLAYSTATION NETWORK
+Updated flash player and maybe a java player
+Music in the web browser

-OTHER
+PSN
+some kind of text reader
+some way to create virtual ram on memory sticks

once again, Good job on listening to suggestions and incorporating them into the firmwares!

+ retsetone on October 8th, 2007 at 4:02 am said:

DTS-HD MA DECODING
DIVX/XVID SUPPORT
IN-GAME XMB

+ mustaphadamus on October 8th, 2007 at 5:13 am said:

The ability to play my ipod video and music through my ps3. For clarity: lets say I purchase a movie from itunes store and I want to watch it on my PS3. I should be able to plug it (my ipod) into one of the PS3 usb ports and then play the video on my tv. Same for music, podcast and photos.

+ Loucifer on October 8th, 2007 at 6:50 am said:

@mustaphadamus

Sony put the LAIR soundtrack on iTunes to download and yet you cant play those .m4p itunes extensions…do you honestly think Sony gives a crap????

+ two-tone504 on October 8th, 2007 at 7:39 am said:

i think with the next system update sony should put a sleep timer on the ps3 sort of like the way its set up on a T.V. for people who like to watch dvds to go to sleep.

+ lakaihigh on October 8th, 2007 at 10:05 am said:

This was an awesome update Sony!!! I know that you guys are preparing for a huge update interconnection for the PS3 and PSP. In the last PSP update you introduced assigning buttons during remote play… that can mean only one thing; you are going to implement everything or a majority of games and demos that will be playable during remote play. I really hope taht you can make that happen, it would be sooo amazing… that and being able to watch dvds or other disc media through remote play. You guys can do it! you rock. can’t wait for the next big update. Oh yeah, any word on when the PSN on PC will be up and running? or when that update for turning on and off our PS3′s with our PSP’s? that would be cool too.

Thanks,
Lh

+ mustaphadamus on October 8th, 2007 at 12:34 pm said:

@Loucifer:

People said they wanted a blog from Sony and Sony delivered. People have said they wanted the ability to stream movies, music and photos from media device to PS3 and they gave us that. I think Sony likes money and in order to get it they make their customers happy. My point is, they do listen even though things may not happen instantaneously they do happen. So here is to hoping they start to support ipods!!!!

+ Pseudo_Ops on October 10th, 2007 at 1:42 pm said:

Nearly one month on from this update and I still can not sign in to the network and the numerous amount of other network problems.

Sony when are you going to get this sorted ??

+ two-tone504 on October 10th, 2007 at 3:56 pm said:

OH!!! i would like it if my controller can automatically turn off after so many minutes of inactivity (maybe the user can decide specifically in a settings menu) so i can save battery. Kind of like the Xbox 360′s controllers automatically shut off after so many minutes.

Thanks

+ Kurosaki on October 10th, 2007 at 9:09 pm said:

When will da PS3 get da theme settings for XMB? I got it for PSP and its hot.. ^_^ i hope it comes for PS3 soon…

PAGE 1 6 7 8