GTAV PS4

5 Things You *Don’t* Know:
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Sep 20, 2007 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Over the last few past few months we’ve been touring the gaming convention scene with THE EYE OF JUDGMENT. We’ve received tremendous feedback from many of you at the San Diego Comic Con, Wizard World Chicago, GenCon & Penny Arcade Expo. There were lots of great questions out there, and we thought it would be good to do a quick recap of the “5 things you don’t know” about THE EYE OF JUDGMENT.

1. There is only one “E” in JUDGMENT
First off, not to sound like a middle school teacher, but I wanted to clarify the proper spelling of the word “JUDGMENT”. Notice that there is no “E” after “JUDG”. With apologies to our UK gamers, this is the correct spelling – according to Wikipedia (and no this definition wasn’t doctored by me or other SCE employee’s…figured I’d beat some of you to that snipe).

2. Pricing = $69.99
Yep, you’ve heard it here first. The SRP for THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software bundle in the US is $69.99. The bundle includes the following:
• THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software (disc case, manual, Blu-ray disc)
• PLAYSTATION Eye camera
• Judgment (camera) stand
• 9 Fields Battle Mat
• (1) Starter deck (includes 30 Summoning Cards + 4 Function Cards)
• (1) Booster pack (includes 8 randomly inserted Summoning Cards with one guaranteed to be rare or ultra rare)

Additionally, Summoning Cards will be sold separately in the form of Booster Packs and pre-constructed Theme Decks, available by Wizards of the Coast.
• Booster Pack: SRP = $3.75
• Pre-constructed Theme Deck: SRP = $14.99 (Five different Theme Decks available. Each fully playable and include a bonus Summoner’s Companion book with background, play tips and card lists)

3. Availability
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT will ship to North American stores on 10/23 to sync with a global launch by the end of October. With a global rollout, gamers on the PLAYSTATION Network will be able to battle against fellow EOJ players from around the world.

4. Expansion Packs
The October launch of THE EYE OF JUDGMENT and its Summoning Cards introduces the first in a long series of card sets available for play. Stay tuned for further announcements on upcoming expansion packs and new Summoning Cards. Each new set will consist of more powerful creatures and spells to introduce new strategies and gameplay mechanics to refresh the EOJ gaming experience.

5. Online cheating
The most popular question we’ve heard revolves around online cheating. Mainly, “What’s going to prevent players from ‘stacking the deck’ when playing online?” – meaning, cheating your card draw so you get your best cards from the start. Fortunately, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT introduces a new paradigm in drawing cards when playing against your opponents online. First, you’ll have to register and save your Summoning Deck, offline. Then, when logged on, you select the Summoning Deck you wish to play. Once paired up with your opponent, the PS3 will automatically shuffle and randomly pull your cards for you. Once these cards are selected, you must pull these cards from your ‘physical’ deck and draw them to your hand and play the Summoning Cards on the Battle Mat, as normal.

Take a peek at a new video that we created to help outline this completely unique gaming experience merging the best of two worlds – video games and trading card battles. Enjoy!

315 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7

+ X820 on September 21st, 2007 at 2:50 am said:

@102
I’m not going to pay just in order to able to play online, like the other console. It’s just like paying for breathing. And paying for better demo ? Demo is supposed to be free. Because it’s only a demo. As for higher price, doesn’t everything expensive there? Don’t blame Sony for expensive price.

+ Laughed on September 21st, 2007 at 4:00 am said:

Thatsnot bad at all at that price point. Finally, something worth cheering about.

+ zapruder on September 21st, 2007 at 4:18 am said:

all i can say is please no more delays.. still not happy bout the 2008 rumble when GT is out (and many more) games that use rumble. Also is it certain that old ps2 games will work with the new rumble? The Eye is great, i’m gonna get it when its sold with out the game, it’s not my kind of game. Why did Sony deside to sell it with Judgment first and not seperate as a chat cam? I’m sure it took more time to devolope the game to go with it then the camera itself so why the wait? is judgment that impotant? or more a statement?

+ Real Gambler on September 21st, 2007 at 4:33 am said:

104: “Eye Create” is a download coming out end of next month (or later?). This should also be an interesting piece of software to pick up if it’s not too expensive…

+ Savage on September 21st, 2007 at 4:35 am said:

Does that mean the in the UK the game will be released with the correct UK spelling ( with 2 Es ), or does the rest of the world have to suffer the US spelling? Do we then have to explain to our kids that this is American spelling and that they should spell it the English way ( where the language originated ) at school?

Like the look of the game though.

+ Shiloa on September 21st, 2007 at 4:40 am said:

+ zapruder on September 21st, 2007 at 5:26 am said:

70$.. why did the German gamesite and tv channel Giga say it’s gonna cost round 80 Euro’s then? or is it gonna be overpriced like the psp is? 168€=232$ i’m SURE Judgment isn’t gonna cost just 50€ is it? when full retail games like motostorm and Warhawk (incl headset) cost 64€..

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 5:28 am said:

But even with this “low, low” price you all are touting…. will it sell? Nothing else on the PS3 seems to be doing so. Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden sigma, Genji 2, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, rainbow six vegas, Virtua Fighter 5, Full Auto, Untold Legends… Man, I can go on and on and on… None have sold over 200,000 copies to date. TO DATE!!! This is a damn travesty in the making. No wonder nobody wants to make games for the PS3. Oblivion hasn’t even sold 200K!!!?!!?! That’s an amazing game!!! It’s not the games, folks… It’s the system. It’s Sony.

+ Loucifer on September 21st, 2007 at 5:32 am said:

$70 is a joke especially since “the eye” is just a simple webcam thats not even in HD

+ zapruder on September 21st, 2007 at 5:49 am said:

@116 Oblivion was old and overrated if you ask me.. it bored my socks off.

@117; bashing is one thing… talking trash another.

+ L3371 on September 21st, 2007 at 6:01 am said:

I have no complaints.
I have wanted an interactive card game since I started playing Magic the Gathering and then seen Yu Gi Oh.
(yes I played Yu Gi Oh, I have every card from the first five sets.)

Seeing as the cards are from Wizards of the Coast, I feel confident the creatures will rock, as will the spells. Seeing their name on this prompts me to go to GameStop and reserve this as soon as I get back to the U.S.A.

As for you wanting your demograph appeased. This is Sony, not M$. Sony started with Racers and RPG’s. M$ is about FPS. I seen blue dragon on 360 and cried. *not really
M$ only released that one true RPG, imagine those of us that are wanting more RPGs and M$ is ‘maybe’.
Blue Dragon was a trick to get Japanese to buy a 360. I have spoken with people here in Japan. Every person I have spoken with here in Japan say they played Blue Dragon or still are and that is all they play on their 360, the only game they owned. The 360 was $500 here in Japan. The games are $70. I have not looked at the current 360 price as I have been busy here enjoying Shibuya.
Imagine buying a console and having only one game that you like on it and Japanese don’t get many American games in their region code or even Japanese games.
The listing of 360 games in japan is like 12. We at least have more PS3 games.
Oh and by the way. PS3 here has a whole store of Blu-Ray movies and a Wall of Games. If only I could read Japanese to buy them. :(
I have heard it is worse for Europeans.

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 6:10 am said:

Ok, so by your logic… xbox 360 and it’s games aren’t selling in Japan… That’s great! Ps3, however, isn’t selling anywhere… nore are its games. I find that a bit more troubling when oblivion sold 2 million units on the xbox compared to 150,000 ps3 units of the same game. “WORLD WIDE” PS3 is in a state of regretion. Sony is in the same position Sega was… it’s just Sony has the money to keep the ps3 afloat and Sega didn’t. There will come a time when you cut ties with the losses, though. Sony is in th business of making money and the PS3 is costing them daily… hourly. Every second it doesn’t sell hurts the Ps3’s life line. I’m speaking facts, people.

+ TheTwelve on September 21st, 2007 at 6:14 am said:

I am soooooo buying this game.

It looks soooo good.

It will drain sooooo much money from my bank account.

I’m soooo happy I have a job.

Sooo happy I only have a sweety, but no kids….lol!

Anyways, I love card games. I was into Yu-Gi-Oh!, and was even into those Overpower cards, if anyone remembers that. And a lot in-between.

Essentially, this is a dream come true. I’ve been gaming since ’84 as a 6 year old and since then, I rarely come across games that leave me wondering just how good it can be. Usually I can imagine. Eye of Judgment is a game where I can’t even see the end of my potential enjoyment.

Guys, don’t even give gamesblow the time of day! View him as flattery, because if somebody is working so hard to make something look bad, you know that something looks really good! Things that are truly bad don’t garner such attention. :)—-12

Agree with my views? Add my PSN: TheTwelve

I need some common-sense friends on my list!

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 6:19 am said:

I do see a lot of good in the ps3… problem is, nobody else does. The casual consumers “the ones who drive the market” they don’t. That’s the problem. Sony can sell 11 million ps3’s this year “like they say” and that’s fine… whatever they think will be, can be… I’m sure of it. But even with an 11 million install base, the attach rate per game will still be lousy… ps3 owners aren’t buying games. Simple and clean. I looked at the reader boards for some psn games… They have more units sold for Blast factor and Loco Roco than Heavenly Sword, Lair and Warhawk put together. LMFAO! That’s a joke. 600 dollar system for 5 dollar games.

+ Cack77 on September 21st, 2007 at 6:30 am said:

A little off topic, but why the hell take the ‘E’ from JudgEment. Isn’t it like engagement, acknowledgement or arrangement?

Dumbing down of the english language, we’ll be back to grunts lake the cavemen soon enough.

+ Gothdom on September 21st, 2007 at 6:41 am said:

@Gamesblow, if you don’t like the PS3, why don’t you just go away and leave us be. You have the right to hate it, but now you’re just disrupting everything. Is that why your gamefaqs account was banned? And don’t make up numbers like that, Warhawk has already a leaderboard containing more than 125k people, I don’t know, but this game is sold out almost everywhere, so I don’t see how this fails. BTW, what’s your PSN?

@88 thanks for the heads up. I’m not too interested in the game, but the eye is cool, so I’m happy to know I’ll be able to get it seperately.

+ TheTwelve on September 21st, 2007 at 6:47 am said:

Cack,

Look at the link to wikipedia above. Judgment IS the proper spelling, and at least as credible as the other spelling. No dumbing down here.

People who buy the PS3 don’t buy it for 3rd party hand-me-downs. That’s why Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are flying off the shelves and peaking at the top of sales charts because they fulfill the potential the PS3 has, as being games that can be played on no other console.

Yeah, Gamesblow, what IS your PSN? No doubt you will ignore this question just as you ignore so many others that you have no answer for. Simply put, you don’t own a PS3…*chuckle*

+ BloodShed on September 21st, 2007 at 6:53 am said:

@96

Honestly, that wouldn’t be possible. Notice the cards in the video? They have a “bar code” like reference on them so that the software can identify them. From a programming standpoint, I can’t imagine that it would be possible to get this setup to identify MAGIC cards (or any other card system for that matter). The camera needs something large and easy to identify reference that it can read from any angle, position, skew, etc…

+ PSheddy on September 21st, 2007 at 7:02 am said:

Sorry if this was asked.. I kinda just scrolled down looking for a red response post from Mark.. I’m sure you don’t like hearing this… but I’m really not too interested in this kind of game, but I am interested in the Playstation Eye. Will it be for sale seperately around the time of EoJ’s release?

Thanks Mark!

+ afrosheen on September 21st, 2007 at 7:05 am said:

@88: Sorry if this has been asked before, but the PSEye is supposed to ship with mini-games. Since EoJ is $70, will it ONLY be EoJ and the camera, or will there be a mini-games set packed in like the standalone PSEye gets? If so, will we get to download them free from the PSN?

+ BloodShed on September 21st, 2007 at 7:05 am said:

@130

It was answered in red response #88:

“@9 – stay tuned for more announcements on the PLAYSTATION Eye being available on its own”

+ Cack77 on September 21st, 2007 at 7:10 am said:

Fair enough TheTwelve, well said.

Can I just add that I think this new iteration of the Eye thing is pretty cool. It may simply prove to be something of a novelty to most but I like that Sony are still having a crack at providing for people that enjoy this type of card game.

And with regards to ps3 owners not really purchasing big release games? I don’t think there have been many big releases so far has there?

+ Smeg0rz on September 21st, 2007 at 7:14 am said:

@Anyone who thinks $70 is a bad price is mad. That’s £35 over here and the RRP of a PS2 game is £40!

——————————–
No, In UK I Believe it’s going to retail for around £59.99, but I’m only basing this on amazon.co.uk’s current markup. So I highly doubt we will get it for the converted price of £35.. Getting it from movietyme might be a good idea.

Also – When is this game released in the UK, I just cant see us getting this in October?

+ PSheddy on September 21st, 2007 at 7:19 am said:

@132

Wow how the hell did I miss that.. thanks, lol.

+ OrganicShadow on September 21st, 2007 at 7:25 am said:

THANKS MARK VALLEDOR!

I can’t stand card games or all the Magic/Yugio/Pokeman players that fill the cafeteria of the college I graduated from, but this actually looks fun- especially since it does the math/stats/etc. for you.

All you have to do is wait your turn, throw down a card, and just try and use a little strategy eh? Love it. $70 IS A FREAKING DEAL! Eye of Judgment and Burnout Paradise will BE MINE!

Thanks so much Sony. Now just confirm that TouchSense is in DS3 and I’ll forgive you for the name change on the controller. ;)

+ TheTwelve on September 21st, 2007 at 7:47 am said:

Kinglink—Let me list the 5 easy counters to your troll-ish-non-PS3-owning self:

1. I’m disappointed by the lack of Home this Fall, but it was never a promise that it would come out. Everybody would prefer to wait for a finished product rather than half-butt trash. And the Home open Beta has been announced for this year. Oh, please blame Nintendo and Microsoft for the same things since all companies have delays.

2. I’m a card game fan and this is an amazing and exciting evolution of the game. Looks like you’re over-generalizing a detail of which you know little.

3. Of the big three recent exclusives, only Lair sucked because the gameplay was not where it should be. Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are true examples of the PS3’s unique ability and really awesome.

4. People are paying for Live because they also have no choice.

5. The PS3 being used for Folding is a great thing—just ask anybody with a life (meant both literally and figuratively). There are plenty of games to play on the PS3 and many more coming.

Bonus: The Xbox has sold worldwide about 11.5 mil. The PS3 has sold worldwide between 5 and 6 million. Considering the Xbox has been out over twice as long, do the math and the PS3 is doing very well. Especially since the Xbox only got those numbers based on one year of NO competition.

Microsoft needs to figure out how to save their broke console in Japan. That, good man, is the biggest debacle in today’s industry.

Sony is fine, yet will not rest.

Have a nice day and thank you for your time.

PEACE!!!

+ ryjo965 on September 21st, 2007 at 8:03 am said:

The 360 just got the pro evo demo, yet i don’t see it on the psn what gives sony?

+ RandomEarthling on September 21st, 2007 at 8:34 am said:

$70 is way too much for something like this. What makes this camera different than the M$ Vision Cam? That thing was/is a flop and I see the same thing happening here. I hope you prove me wrong Sony.

+ Chromax on September 21st, 2007 at 8:44 am said:

Please get the website up…or release a card list!

+ Andronix on September 21st, 2007 at 8:46 am said:

Sony localise the language of different regional territories. Spain gets games in Spanish. Japan in Japanese.

Why force American spellings on the British?

In the UK please call it Eye of JudgEment.
Dont drop the E!
I dont know if this is some revenge sh** against your cousins but this game is targeted at kids who get punished in exams when they use American spellings.

Please look into it?!

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 9:00 am said:

My PSN is GAMESBLOW… everyone knows this. I’m well known all over the interweb for my successful posting on forums and the like. What’s yours? See how that works…??

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 9:10 am said:

More troubling news… Capcom and Sega have announced they are scared to release anything for PS3 until they see how Halo 3 does and what it does for sales of the xbox 360. WOW! This is truly the end of Sony. Dev’s are going to abandon PS3 altogther… We wasted our money, boys. I’m beside myself right now… Kiss it g’bye, people…

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 9:31 am said:

~ & now… the end is near… I face… The final curtain. I’ve made mistakes… in the past…. & now, my life seems uncertain. ~

That… right there, is sony’s theme song. Elvis was singin’ from the heart all along.

+ WTFGamer on September 21st, 2007 at 9:47 am said:

Thanks for the update on EYE! I’ve been worried about the lack of info. Most CCG’s have deck lists posted and demo cards distributed to game shops well in advance of the launch. It gets the creative juices flowing so you know what to look for construction wise. Are there any plans to post such a list for Eye anytime soon?

+ afrosheen on September 21st, 2007 at 9:51 am said:

@Kinglink:

And your extremely long winded whiny rant has what to do with EoJ or the PS Eye? Nothing?

Seriously dude, nobody cares. Arguing on the internet is like participating in the special olympics. No matter who wins you both look retarded.

+ Laughed on September 21st, 2007 at 10:00 am said:

King, your my hero.

+ zapruder on September 21st, 2007 at 10:10 am said:

@173; if your problem is not enough games talk to developers most games out now came through Sony so it’s not really their problem… but it is putt on them most likely by scare tactics from the Microsoft Nazi corp… The lame excuse from the developers that it’s hard to work with PS3 is the same old story they told us with the PS2.. innovation means investing in new ideas and its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.. in the end didn’t really stop the PS2 still being a successful product complete with a 6 year wait to see some of it’s full potential in God of war.. see what i mean? . maybe Sony should print ‘work all ways in progress’ on the box to make you understand. Now product delay is another story, that really is an issue Sony has to fix it seems they are not aware of the Internet in a way for not thinking that we are fools in waiting for rumble.. all it does is open up a new parallel import market…

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 10:23 am said:

Basically, at the end of december… Where the ps3 sits Hardware and software wise… that’s what’ll dictate where I go. I advise you all do the same. Trade in the ps3 while it still has value if by the end of december “christmas season” things aren’t improved. I’m talking sales on these games need to be around 500 to 1 million sold. There is no reason for it. PS3’s user base needs to be sitting at about 8 million by years end too. Sold, not shipped. I just don’t see it happening. Sony underestimated online, microsoft and nintendo. They overestemated their consumers… Simple as that. Sony, you have 3 more months to prove yourself. All I can say.

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 10:28 am said:

I’m stickin’ it out for Naughtydog and Insomniac… basically. I wanna play uncharted “all 8 hours of it, I’m sure” and R&C… “however long it’ll be” See, that’s another one of my gripes… They said blu-ray was gonna be used for longer, more believable gaming experiences… They lied. Ps3 games to date have all been about 8 hours long. Oblivion fit on a dvd 9 and it was 30 times longer than anything I’ve seen on blu-ray.

+ TheTwelve on September 21st, 2007 at 10:35 am said:

No, you don’t own a PS3, because if you did, with your long list of complaints, you would have at least sold that mess back! Or you’re just a hypocrite to your own words and the true fool in the end. Now let’s break down your stuff:

LIVE has been out longer than the PS3 itself. I would hope it would be ahead on be better, because if it wasn’t, it would truly be pathetic. I don’t see how this is a dent on the PS3.

Consoles should stay solid and not grow over time? Says who? You? And who are you to decided the definition of a console? Oh yeah, you’re a non Ps3 owner.

As for me, a real owner (PSN ID: TheTwelve for all interested), I love the fact that the features of my PS3 will grow. I think it’s extremely cool and makes my money have wings.

Heavenly Sword is only short if you play it through, without dying, and go for none of the many extras. Of course I wish it was longer! But I have as of yet not beaten it, am in total love with the detail, and when I do beat it, it’s the kind of game that simply compels a replay. The game is gorgeous, the cinematics are amazing, and the character acting is unmatched.

The problems with Warhawk are based on it being even more popular than expected. How about that. If it wasn’t popular at all, you would complain about that too. It’s hardly “buggy”, especially after the very swift online repairs made by the Incog team. And Battlefield? Spare me. Warhawk is like Battlefield on steroids, with no slow-down, and more things going on at the same time. I only wish that Warhawk had naval warfare like Battlefield did/does. I can tell you haven’t played the game and only regurgitate what you read from naysayers.

No people pay for LIVE because they HAVE TO. Period. Or let’s see Microsoft do it like Linux and make it free unless you want to make donation. Lol. Right. Nobody would pay….haha.

You saying you have a PS3 is just as provable as me saying you don’t. I’ll keep my belief, thank you very much.

And yes, both Microsoft and Sony came up with those numbers. We can call them both liars or take their word. But even on VGcharts and other sites, SONY is doing hardly as bad as you Xbot trolls wish it was. Heck, if it was doing poorly, you trolls wouldn’t spend your time expressing your frustrations here.

PEACE!!

(And Afrosheen, I love to debate online when I have the time…and I got a bit of time today)—12

+ KnaveX on September 21st, 2007 at 11:01 am said:

Okay guys, for those of you who still don’t understand the PS3 deck registry thing it’s like this: Online is the only mode where your deck isn’t stacked up, you have to register every single card in your deck offline. Then when you go play onlineyou pick the deck, you lay out the cards face up and wait for the ps3 to tell you which card to pick, randomly, and that way if a cheater places a card on the mat he didn’t even have on his hand, the ps3 will know and disable the card, making the game fair. OK confused PS3’ers?

Must Buy!!! PS3 eye, stand, mat, deck, game, expansion pack and eyecreate for $70.00 on release!

Last gen- Eyetoy with demo $60