Bloodborne

5 Things You *Don’t* Know:
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Sep 20, 2007 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

Over the last few past few months we’ve been touring the gaming convention scene with THE EYE OF JUDGMENT. We’ve received tremendous feedback from many of you at the San Diego Comic Con, Wizard World Chicago, GenCon & Penny Arcade Expo. There were lots of great questions out there, and we thought it would be good to do a quick recap of the “5 things you don’t know” about THE EYE OF JUDGMENT.

1. There is only one “E” in JUDGMENT
First off, not to sound like a middle school teacher, but I wanted to clarify the proper spelling of the word “JUDGMENT”. Notice that there is no “E” after “JUDG”. With apologies to our UK gamers, this is the correct spelling – according to Wikipedia (and no this definition wasn’t doctored by me or other SCE employee’s…figured I’d beat some of you to that snipe).

2. Pricing = $69.99
Yep, you’ve heard it here first. The SRP for THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software bundle in the US is $69.99. The bundle includes the following:
• THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software (disc case, manual, Blu-ray disc)
• PLAYSTATION Eye camera
• Judgment (camera) stand
• 9 Fields Battle Mat
• (1) Starter deck (includes 30 Summoning Cards + 4 Function Cards)
• (1) Booster pack (includes 8 randomly inserted Summoning Cards with one guaranteed to be rare or ultra rare)

Additionally, Summoning Cards will be sold separately in the form of Booster Packs and pre-constructed Theme Decks, available by Wizards of the Coast.
• Booster Pack: SRP = $3.75
• Pre-constructed Theme Deck: SRP = $14.99 (Five different Theme Decks available. Each fully playable and include a bonus Summoner’s Companion book with background, play tips and card lists)

3. Availability
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT will ship to North American stores on 10/23 to sync with a global launch by the end of October. With a global rollout, gamers on the PLAYSTATION Network will be able to battle against fellow EOJ players from around the world.

4. Expansion Packs
The October launch of THE EYE OF JUDGMENT and its Summoning Cards introduces the first in a long series of card sets available for play. Stay tuned for further announcements on upcoming expansion packs and new Summoning Cards. Each new set will consist of more powerful creatures and spells to introduce new strategies and gameplay mechanics to refresh the EOJ gaming experience.

5. Online cheating
The most popular question we’ve heard revolves around online cheating. Mainly, “What’s going to prevent players from ‘stacking the deck’ when playing online?” – meaning, cheating your card draw so you get your best cards from the start. Fortunately, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT introduces a new paradigm in drawing cards when playing against your opponents online. First, you’ll have to register and save your Summoning Deck, offline. Then, when logged on, you select the Summoning Deck you wish to play. Once paired up with your opponent, the PS3 will automatically shuffle and randomly pull your cards for you. Once these cards are selected, you must pull these cards from your ‘physical’ deck and draw them to your hand and play the Summoning Cards on the Battle Mat, as normal.

Take a peek at a new video that we created to help outline this completely unique gaming experience merging the best of two worlds – video games and trading card battles. Enjoy!

315 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

+ optimusprime76 on September 21st, 2007 at 11:10 am said:

@KingLink

1- Delays happen all the time. Mass Effect was delayed till November, I didn’t see everyone dissing Microsoft about it. GTA 4 was delayed till next year. The only reason they are delaying it is to give us a better product. How is that a bad thing?

2- I am not into card games, but from what I hear, lots of people love this kind of stuff. Just read the preview of the Penny Arcade guys to see how excited THEY are about it. It’s all about choice, and not every game on every console is designed to satisfy everybody.

3- Now this is just trolling. Lair is definitely a disappointment, but Heavenly Sword is averaging around 82% and Warhawk around 85% on the Gamerankings website. These are definitely NOT scores that reflect a “lack in quality”.

4- PSN is improving very fast and it is an evolving platform. People complained about not being able to download multiple games at once, they added that feature. No background picture? Done. No demos? Just check the past few weeks. It is still lagging behind the 360, but remember, Microsoft had the original XBOX live and their 20+ years of building software to build upon. Sony is learning, and the PSN is evolving, and soon enough, it will become very close if not as good as XBOX LIVE. And it’s free ;)

5-The PS3 being used as folding @ home might save lives someday, something MUCH more important than playing a video game.

+ Top_Shelf on September 21st, 2007 at 11:14 am said:

@50, 40cal:
feel free to add me.. I play warhawk on my 65″ dlp. A 1080p big screen and a ps3 is a match made in heaven. :D

+ KnaveX on September 21st, 2007 at 11:19 am said:

$70 is enough for a 120fps cam with a game and software. But if you don’t like it you don’t have to buy it.

+ Fabi on September 21st, 2007 at 11:55 am said:

Sucks for the people in here who don’t care about all the arguing and sales figures and just wanna discuss topics as a community. It’s cool if you want to let yourself be heard and complain, but damn just do it once. It doesn’t even look like a blog anymore. It’s starting to resemble a chat room. Just scrolling down the page you see the same 3-4 people posting and it’s scary that someone actually has that much free time on their hands. Why does every topic have to lead to the same BS?

+ Flanders on September 21st, 2007 at 12:08 pm said:

I don’t think even Sony expects the PS3 to be anyplace but in last place in the monthly sales chart for December. They’re probably not expecting to start closing the sales ratios until spring 2008.

I know that back in 2005 or so when I started reading up on the PS3, I never imagined that by XMas 2007 the PS3 would be in the position it’s in. Back in 2005, I figured it would dominate and crush the (at the time) floundering Microsoft and kiddy only Nintendo. Kinda ironic…..

+ eclipsed4utoo on September 21st, 2007 at 12:28 pm said:

it’s funny how all of you guys have PS3s, yet you do nothing but dog the console on this blog and turn people away from buying it. Then you complain that the PS3 isn’t selling. very nice.

so while you guys are here complaining and carrying on, I will be playing games on my PS3. maybe you guys should just sell yours. but of course you won’t, because you know how great it will end up. you are just bashing it now because it seems like it’s the “cool” thing to do.

+ KnaveX on September 21st, 2007 at 12:36 pm said:

BREAKING NEWS! Prologue is due December 12 and will cost $40 bucks… damn.

+ Laughed on September 21st, 2007 at 12:40 pm said:

lol, I’m sorry I cant be a cool cheerleader like you.

And you just proved your own agenda here, you lie and ignore truths in order to sell PS3’s. Thats real smart, so when the average consumer gets his ps3 and finds out the truth he’ll be right here with us b!7c4!ng at you.

Like I said before. a bunch of cheerleaders marketing for Sony.

Ever stop to realize if the system had games we wouldn’t be here. Till then I’m stuck folding and raising my electric bill by $60 a month ($30 for each PS3).

Selling our system would be counter productive to the Sony end game. Funny you don’t realize that. IF I sell now, I would not buy back in later. Fool me once, shame… ahh you know it.

+ scott on September 21st, 2007 at 12:48 pm said:

#205 u are dumb …do u know the truth when u hear it….yes its true ps3 will when in the long run,but now 360 has more games and agreat market place…
plus demos,gamer pictures,game add-ons,everyday plus movies,tv shows,game vides.ect..ect…i would like to play my ps3 ..but r.f.o.m. is the only game smoking…if u cant handle the truth u no the fact that all your friends will be playing halo this holiday+ gears of war..dont worry by january we will play the ps3 when the games come …… u no the action packed shooters… until then get over it

+ L3371 on September 21st, 2007 at 12:51 pm said:

Who said the eyecam is not HD?

Who has a 360 that plays 1080p?
The max resolution of a 360 elite is 720p, I know I own the damn thing.

Plus hands down the ps3 at 720p looks better than the 360 on all multiplatform games.

Lastly, this is a huge gripe-fest.

My PSN is the same as my ID here.
I fold at home and proud of it, incase I get lung cancer. I may fold a protien that cures me.

I am getting my dreamcast out for play.
Too many whiners these days.

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 12:55 pm said:

Twelve… taking the hdd out is like a 3 minute job. It’s rather untasking.

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 12:56 pm said:

I encourage everyone to do it, by the way.

+ wolverine81 on September 21st, 2007 at 12:59 pm said:

@KingLink

“Heavenly sward was a true example of a SHORT GAME! 6 hours 60 dollars? I’m paying 10 dollars an hour for entertainment? Sorry I should change that I would be paying 10 dollars an hour for entertainment. ”

Since when does anyone pay for entertainment per hour unless you are at a strip club? Also, since when is an action game or a FPS more than 5-8 hours anyway. It has been this way for a long time. If you want length go buy some RPG’s and you can pay for them by the hour 20+ hours for $200+. If you don’t like a game don’t buy it, that simple.

+ wolverine81 on September 21st, 2007 at 1:01 pm said:

@211

You need to stop being so crude. Everyone has a right to express their opinion on here, but you have no reason to speak to anyone the way you do. For God’s sake this is just a blog about games. Lighten up!

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 1:04 pm said:

In the defense of Heavenly Sword “and it is waaaay too short” but Gears of War wasn’t an epic “no pun intended” either. I beat it in 5 hours flat just the other day on co-op with a buddy. It can easily be beaten in less than 7 hours. Easily on single player.

+ TristanMike on September 21st, 2007 at 1:43 pm said:

That’s awesome. I’m really looking forward to this game. The only problem I have with it, and perhaps someone might address it, is this going to be a “rich boy’s” game ?

And what I mean by a “rich boy’s” game is, are the extra “booster packs” and the “Theme decks” going to go like “Magic the Gathering” did ? With 17 different set’s this month, and 500 cards in each set (obviously I’m exaggerating a little, but this kind of methodology forced me out of Magic a loooong time ago…around Mirage….I have no interest in spending all my money on cards, nor do I like the idea that Johnny rich kid can just “buy” his unbeatable deck). With the “rare” cards selling for crazy prices, and almost impossible to collect all the cards ? Or are you going to follow more of a strategy based game, where players can easily acquire all the cards, and the person who can make the best deck, and play those cards right wins ?

I would really appreciate some feedback on this issue, I haven’t really read anything that address this.

+ HanSolo on September 21st, 2007 at 1:48 pm said:

about making a “STAR WARS” of judment game
it would be amazing for the star wars characters to come to life and also include with it the free game of sabbac

+ GamerMan76 on September 21st, 2007 at 1:50 pm said:

@TristanMike

Yes I know exactly what you mean by rich kids game… but if you are playing the game with friends and family is where you will probably get the most enjoyment out of it..

I most likely won’t get too many cards even if i could afford them all cause i have a budget to matain and it would prevent me from enjoying other games coming out later in the year

+ KnaveX on September 21st, 2007 at 2:06 pm said:

Stoff is right, so onto the subject, Will there be a website showing a list of the cards and their design? I’d also like to see a video showing more of the mode where you interact with the card by touching it and poking :)

+ Fabi on September 21st, 2007 at 2:19 pm said:

Yeah man, those of you who respond to the negative comments are just as bad. Just ignore them. What happens when you ignore someone who doesn’t shut up? They get even worse because they hate getting ignored but eventually end up getting tired and leave. So just do that. It’s really not that hard. The more you keep responding the more they’re gonna post. Just let them say whatever they want. Cause I know I skip every single comment that comes from the same people posting 50 times a day. Anyway, I wanted to see more of that in the video too, the first time I saw this some dude was moving around a ship with his hand. Cool looking stuff.

+ KnaveX on September 21st, 2007 at 2:31 pm said:

I liked when he poked a dragon and it tried to bite him, the guy took his hand out really fast lol. (Like, oh no, he’s going to bite me virtually!)

+ Flanders on September 21st, 2007 at 2:36 pm said:

Ummm….what was this blog post about again?

Oh yes…..Eye Of Judgement. Looks cool.

+ wolverine81 on September 21st, 2007 at 2:47 pm said:

By the way this game does look cool! I can’t wait to get the eye of judgment as well as the PS Eye!

+ gamesblow on September 21st, 2007 at 2:54 pm said:

Whao.. wait a second… I just got word from a “lucky” buddy of mine who obtained Halo 3 earlier today that he’s already beaten it. More so, it only took him 6 and A HALF HOURS. Yikes! There better be backlash for this one… Heavenly Sword and Lair get ripped “by myself aswell” for being short…. Halo damn sure better get ripped too. We’re paying 60 bucks for these things! 10 bucks an hour? No thanks!

+ infekt on September 21st, 2007 at 3:05 pm said:

@gamesblow

“lack of hdmi cables for an hd system – stupid move 10 bucks not so much, but still stupid.”

$10 for an hdmi cable? I spent nearly $90. I know there are different qualities in cables, and some over-hyping involved to some level… but thats gotta be one low quality cable for $10.

+ wolverine81 on September 21st, 2007 at 3:08 pm said:

@265

Nope, just a normal cable. monoprice.com FTW!

+ 40cal on September 21st, 2007 at 3:21 pm said:

@infekt and @gamesblow
I would have loved to get a HDMI cable with my PS3 yet at the same time considering only 20% of consumers own a HDTV it just dose not make a whole lot of since to package HDMI cables with the PS3. Also allot of the older HD receivers don’t have an HDMI input. They could have done component instead of composite though but I’m sure there are tons of composite cables laying around at Sony from the PS2.

+ 40cal on September 21st, 2007 at 3:25 pm said:

I just got done playing the R&C demo (got it from GameStop on Blu-ray) while not my kind of game, still fun though, the visuals are awesome, the environments are huge, and the integration of the Six-axis is very cool while sky diving off of a 50 story building, and the amount of on screen action is impressive to say the least.

Mark Valledor's Avatar

+ Mark Valledor on September 21st, 2007 at 3:27 pm said:

@ all,

Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to answer more questions today (although, I didn’t see that many thru all the banter).

I just got my laptop back and will ‘troll’ thru this post and answer anything (related to EOJ) you can throw at me.

See you over the weekend…in between Warhawk sessions…

+ Darkendless on September 21st, 2007 at 3:53 pm said:

PS3 sales dropped by 42% this week and Halo 3 isn’t even out yet. We are dead

+ orbio234 on September 21st, 2007 at 3:59 pm said:

after 24 hours am returning to the blog and in many cases its same old same old…been there seen that….i like the sony reps comment about answering “relevant questions” those of us who are serious about our ps3 are unable to get responses from sony as long as they have to go through so much crappy chatter…i would call it overkill….it seems to me that the anger thats shown by some tells me that the reverse of anger is fear…and the fear on the part of some is that sony now heading towards the 250 million mark of hardware sales is moving towards BEYOND.

+ Darkendless on September 21st, 2007 at 4:03 pm said:

yup its impossible ps3 will go the way of dreamcast if lucky

+ Chromax on September 21st, 2007 at 4:19 pm said:

When can we see the website up? or a list of all the cards with pictures?

+ xplosneer on September 21st, 2007 at 5:39 pm said:

Hey, but what happened to EyeCreate?

+ Real Gambler on September 21st, 2007 at 6:30 pm said:

Remember when there was a vote to find out which thing we wanted the most for this blog… I seriously think a killfile would be awesome. If you don’t like somebody’s comment, bang, you add his name to your killfile and all his comments are gone forever…
Even better, make it so if somebody get into 50 killfiles, then he is banned permanently.

Is it time for another round of “what do we want most for this blog yet, pleaaaase?”

+ BradleyUK on September 21st, 2007 at 7:03 pm said:

Hope there is a duck boss!!

+ orbio234 on September 21st, 2007 at 7:40 pm said:

all things sony….just finished playing flow in order to unwind…wow it works and now on the sony blog…i was thinking while flow was helping me to think clearer…i am crazy about games…all types…and so too about movies…so if i bought a blue ray machine it would cost about 500 dollars.. by buying a PS3 I GET THE ULTIMATE….NOT ONLY BLU RAY WITH ALL THE EXCLUSIVES LIKE SONY. WALT DISNEY. ETC,….BUT THE ONLY NEXT GEN MACHINE…WHY DO I SAY THE ONLY…WELL BECAUSE OF CELL…BLUE RAY HD..VARIETY OF NEXT GEN GAMES…NOW IF ANYBODY DISAGREES WITH ME ON A SONY BLOG ITS OBVIOUS WHERE YOUR COMING FROM

+ Im_Special on September 21st, 2007 at 7:54 pm said:

Just wanted to say this is an excellent price for whats packaged, now get your console down Sony.

+ dragon on September 21st, 2007 at 8:21 pm said:

Eye of Judgement could be the game that motivates me to buy a PS3. (Along with LittleBigPlanet, FFXIII, Hot Shots Golf 5, and possibly SingStar.) Good to see something so unique and with potential for future expansion. I’ve never played a card game, but it sounds fun.

Curiosity makes me wonder how they made the cards forgery-resistant. I have the promo card they were giving out at PAX, and my only guess is that ordinary printers may not be able to reproduce the neon green triangles. Webcams can see colours that aren’t visible to the human eye, but I’m not sure it’s possible to print something that can take advantage of that. The bar code appears to have 24 bits or 16.7M combinations (probably less in practice), which may be enough to give “ultra rare” cards unique IDs, but it doesn’t sound like they are going that far. Hopefully it’s something that won’t be cracked on day 1!

(I do wish they’d do a price drop on the PS3 before Christmas. Not because I can’t afford it, but so I can be confident third-party developers won’t start abandoning it. Most of my co-workers have Wiis, and a few also have 360s, but I don’t know anyone who owns a PS3.)

+ orbio234 on September 21st, 2007 at 8:42 pm said:

in japan the customers are so electronic advanced that when i read that in japan they sold 130,000 psp slims in one day i knew sony has triumphed again….. will surely buy the new version when it gets here..the star wars psp bundle that is///even though i have a psp 1000 i want it so that i can watch my umd movies and games on my hd tv. like the idea of downloading from my apple computer to the psp. with so much to keep me busy for now the wait will be okay. i have already bought my psp 20000component cable that i will need when i have my bundle. all this and heaven too

+ Laughed on September 21st, 2007 at 9:37 pm said:

@Mark Valledor:

Whats the price point on this game without it bundled with the Playstation Eye? What will be the price points on the bonus packs or will this become the “rich kid” game like others have asked/stated? Will this be a rape session? What I mean, is this being provided at a low entry level cost to hook us in just so you can over charge us on the extras, like every other Sony game (ie Motorstorm, Blast Factor, many others)? What will the Playstation Eye retail for by itself?

I look forward to you addressing these questions/concerns and or ignoring me.

+ roadclimber on September 21st, 2007 at 10:11 pm said:

@ loucifer

What are you talking about man? the Eye nothing but a simple camera? The 360 version is nothing but a simple camera for roughly the same price.

The Eye has motion sensing capabilities and a mic with backgound noise deadening which should facilitate voice recognition. Playing and chatting in your games without needing some plastic earhugger.. that’s worth it alone.

@ gamesblow
Short games seem to be a problem on all consoles. There seems to be a direct link between quality products and games you can finish in the blink of an eye. Gears was pitifully short. I’m crossing my fingers for Uncharted, Haze and Assassin’s Creed.

Has anyone seen this disturbing trend for the 360? The console known for taking a bite out of discs is spreading to multi dvd games. Blue dragon (3) Lost Odyssey (4!) Infinite Undiscovery (2+)

@ Mark Valledor
ah :) don’t really expect an answer to this but are there any plans to use the Eyes capabilities for things other than games?
I don’t just mean art/demo things like Aqualife

+ Laughed on September 21st, 2007 at 10:51 pm said:

@roadclimber: Whats your point? What are you trying to imply or say here – Now if anyone is old enough to remember… How long did it take games designers to jump to the next format when games start going multidisc?

+ Darkendless on September 21st, 2007 at 11:37 pm said:

One generation but technology moves much faster now and there have already been multidiscs in last gen. Anyways, this is meaningless because 360 will kill the PS3 like the PS2 killed the Dreamcast

+ roadclimber on September 22nd, 2007 at 12:07 am said:

Meaningless? :)

you have a console that chews the hell out of discs if you touch it while it’s running and now you want to start juggling up to 4 discs? good luck with that.

I didn’t think i’d have to walk people through this but how many discs do you remember in the biggest games you’ve played? How many cds? 3-5 is usually the limit from my recollection. Anything more and it becomes a joke. Discs get scratched. Too many cds? package it as a dvd. Too many dvds? bump it up to a blu ray.

Do you think gamers are going to happily juggle through half a dozen dvds because MS didn’t have the foresight to include next gen techonolgy?

I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next year or two MS throws out a HD DVD game drive and politely asks its consumers to shell out another 200 dollars or so. That’s something microsoft has always been good at… Smiling while sticking it to their customers.

But you’re right. The 360 will dominate even though third party designers are ceasing to make 360 versions of games in Japan. I wonder how many copies of Halo 3 are going to sell over there? Probably not quite enough to make up the 1.2 billion Microsoft has dropped on repairs i’m guessing.

+ zapruder on September 22nd, 2007 at 12:16 am said:

still only have one question.. price.. how will it ad up in Europe… i’m thinking 70 dollar is 70 Euro.. not fair but consistant.

+ zapruder on September 22nd, 2007 at 12:43 am said:

hate to break some bad news for some xbox owners but it’s only really ‘succesfull’ in the US. (and still 80 million short over ps2) just wait and see when MS kill the 360 just like they dropped the original xbox.. just 2 more years and it’s dead then it starts all over again. In the end PS3 is cheaper (it also has resale value when ps4 comes.. unlike xbox thats more like a Zune) PS3 is out for 7 months in Europe and does better then 360 in it’s first few months. Sony has a base with ps2.. MS base is the first xbox… well we all know how unsuccesfull that was (24 million units sold in 5 years) 360 just sold 8.9 million units in more then 2 years it isn’t even gonna outsell the old xbox….how sad when we all know of the 1.2 billion refund and “Micromart, stopped repairing Xbox 360’s because they were unable to fully repair the defective systems and because the Xbox 360 has a “fatal design flaw”.” so in short.. no MS junk in my house. And thats sad for the game developers who are not to blame.

+ KnaveX on September 22nd, 2007 at 6:57 am said:

Mark, I want to see more of the interact with your card mode cuz it looks pretty awesome. Make a video showing what can happen, and what different things you can do.

+ zapruder on September 22nd, 2007 at 9:05 am said:

scott said that the 360 has so much games…. then where does he find the time to waste here?.. i wonder… just a little …I wouln’t wanna think more then a nanosec. about him/her/it…

+ mrbiggs83 on September 22nd, 2007 at 10:20 am said:

I Believe the eye of judgement will go on to sell well over a million copies easy. This game will now engulf alot of card gamers into playing videogames. I believe more people card games than videogames and with the power of the PS3 there cards can come to life. Imagine playing YU-GI-Oh or magic the gathering with the EYE the possiblities are endless.