PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

God of War: Chains of Olympus – Special Edition Demo Disc

Cory Barlog's Avatar + Posted by Cory Barlog on Sep 27, 2007 // Sony Santa Monica Studios

GOWCOOpsp-demosleeve
What is up God of War fans? Sorry for the long hiatus but things have been crazy here at Casa De Kratos…much to do. I thought I would come out of my somewhat self imposed media coma to let everyone know that the PSP demo discs are freaking done baby!!! As I type these words, legions of carrier Harpies are being dispatched to deliver the sweet UMD goodness that is God of War: Chains of Olympus – Special edition: Battle of Attica Demo Disc…otherwise know as GOW: COO –SE:BoADD. Good god…that is a freaking mouthful, even typing this abbreviated version makes me tired.

That’s it for now, keeping this one quick. The game is looking absolutely amazing, btw, so I hope everyone enjoys this little taste of portable God of War goodness. As a matter of fact, I think it even got an award for the Best PSP Game, or something like that, at the Leipzig conference.

Alright, back to my work induced hibernation…

236 Comments

+ gary Z on September 27th, 2007 at 11:52 pm said:

OMG so FINALLY v get a GOW game can u believe it folks ya its jus a demo wen v look at the cover v can take tat for a demo..cant wait to get my hands on it..n BTW Cory tat was nice joke u made .. u know well than any other person on this earth tat GOW 3 is on its way n its gonna b one adventure of a life time! n do remember all of olympus is watching u after all their fate rests in ur hands…lol

+ gstatty on September 28th, 2007 at 1:29 am said:

essentially, all i’m waiting for is the white psp bundle to come out, and then bam, i will buy this as well, too bad i didn’t know about the demo earlier or i would have signed up :( oh and your software development co is like the coolest, i can’t believe you flew that guy that made the case mod GOW stylee to play GOW: COO –SE:BoADD or just plain old GOW COO, whats more is how awesome it was that he donated a portion of it to penny arcade, the both a-yuhs, class acts

+ Overcrook on September 28th, 2007 at 4:19 am said:

Why is there no downloadable version of the demo?

+ sectionz on September 28th, 2007 at 6:08 am said:

@Overcrook: i love to speculate so I would say hold on to your hat there because it has GOT to be coming. Looks like our “demo” is getting a red carpet treatment with this special edition stuff .. I would not be surprised if this was not one of the first VIA PS Store demos for the PSP we see.

+ Shiloa on September 28th, 2007 at 7:34 am said:

That cover is full of awesomeness. It just needs a Transformer and it would be the greatest thing ever created.

Anyway, can’t wait for this and can’t wait for God of War III which I’m sure is in the works.

+ TONX on September 28th, 2007 at 8:00 am said:

Can’t wait to get this demo. Kratos is the effing man.

+ StormLord on September 28th, 2007 at 8:11 am said:

yay! I can’t wait :)

+ zapruder on September 28th, 2007 at 9:03 am said:

does it use psp Slim ‘s extra power?

+ deadxbabiesxinc on September 28th, 2007 at 9:25 am said:

is this a preorder from gamestop thing or a downloadable thing?

+ wh0am1 on September 28th, 2007 at 9:28 am said:

HOLY CRUD!!!!!

Will the demo be on PSN!!!!!!!!!!????????

+ PSPMAN07 on September 28th, 2007 at 10:02 am said:

@ 71 and 72

The Demo is on UMD, because its a PSP title, I very seriously doubt there will be a PSN version of the Demo, because no other PSP Demo’s have been on PSN. Not sure if you get one if you pre-order, but there was a link a while back saying if you signed up for the demo, one would be shipped to you, so I’m guessing if you didn’t sign up, you’re out of luck

+ Lp47 on September 28th, 2007 at 10:09 am said:

Ive always loved god of war i own both 1 and 2, and their amazing games. I cant wait to get god of war: chains of olympus for my psp. Also i live in canada but i signed up for the disc early, please dont jue me out. Im a huge fan and just because im in canada shouldnt mean i dont get to play the demo.

PS: Sony should announce and show God of War 3 for PS3 sometime before christmas or something just to get the hype up.

+ Lp47 on September 28th, 2007 at 10:16 am said:

I know you guys are working on her.

+ mp7a1mobsta on September 28th, 2007 at 11:23 am said:

im actually buying a psp for the lone purpose of playing this game… and all hell will break loose in the gaming community once gow III, comes rampaging onto the ps3… keep up the good work Mr. Barlog

+ XxBigP123xX on September 28th, 2007 at 11:51 am said:

@75
you’re wrong. there was a locoroco demo on the psn for the psp.

+ Chef Skillz on September 28th, 2007 at 12:39 pm said:

This game is the ONLY REASON I am proud to own a PSP. I don’t own much software for my PSP, but this game is MUST OWN on day one! Can’t wait to get my demo disc.

+ kratos_theGOW on September 28th, 2007 at 12:41 pm said:

GOD OF WAR 1 and 2 on PS2. GOD OF WAR:CHAINS OF OLYMPUS on PSP

Mr.CORY BARLOG u r trapped because there must be now GOD OF WAR 3 for PS3.

your next-gen machine needs that most…

+ kratos_theGOW on September 28th, 2007 at 12:43 pm said:

call DAVID JAFFE and start developing GOD OF WAR 3.

+ orbio234 on September 28th, 2007 at 12:56 pm said:

just got back from wal mart….they have a lower price on the psp….its to celebrate their anniversary in canada

+ LoyalistRevolt on September 28th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

Thats Weird I signed up for this the Day they launched the demo and never got an email saying that I’m getting one…..Whats that all about?

+ rukusa on September 28th, 2007 at 1:52 pm said:

Holy hell Cory, youre sucha damn tease!

I CANT wait for GOW3.

Its going to be damn epic!

Just like Insomiac’s Resistance 2 :):

Psst! Insomniac guys (I know you read this blog :P)! look at my suggestions ;( ;

- NO HUD, instead, make a function (press, hold button to expose clip, release to pop back in?) that lets you pop out your clip and count how many bullets you have left. That would be awesomely innovative in my book. It would be a GREAT detail if you see if from my perspective.

- visiting more countries, being able to choose your path(maybe? – not necessary though).

+ blu_usher on September 28th, 2007 at 2:43 pm said:

God of War is a marvelous franchise and I think it would greatly benifit sony to take it as seriously as MS takes Halo, marketing wise. I am looking forward to Chains of Olympus but I would be remiss if I didn’t say I have high hopes for part 3. So, if you do read this I would like to make a suggestion for GOW3. What if there was an unlockable mode in GOW3 that allowed the game to be played through the second time while entirely in a “first person mode”?! I know it would be a challenge but I think it would have a ridiculous pay off. If not that, maybe place the camera a bit closer to Kratos so the games epic qualites could be even more realized. Imagine performing all of Kratos’ abillities in first person while taking on as many on screen enemies that were introduced in Heavenly Sword… Anyway, good luck and I can only hope that GOW 3 is at least three times a long as part II! In the meantime the chains will suffice.

+ 40cal on September 28th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

Oh yeah! I am now ready for the GoW CoO demo because the GameStop by my house got that sexy black PSP 2001 in today. How did you guys fit all that tech in such a small, light and sexy machine? I love it. Thanks.

+ fuzzysquash on September 28th, 2007 at 3:28 pm said:

Barlog! Give us God of War III!

:D

+ Al2x on September 28th, 2007 at 3:32 pm said:

Make sure you guys get one to me, I signed up! Better not get snubbed, again…

+ Globox82 on September 28th, 2007 at 3:50 pm said:

PSP power!

+ Loki_344 on September 28th, 2007 at 4:23 pm said:

Finally.

Cory Barlog's Avatar

+ corybarlog on September 28th, 2007 at 4:53 pm said:

This one is my favorite!!

“call DAVID JAFFE and start developing GOD OF WAR 3.”

+ Hitman_Legend on September 28th, 2007 at 5:02 pm said:

Lol these posts are hilarious

+ Kpepe on September 28th, 2007 at 5:20 pm said:

Nice way to unofficially “announce” GoW 3 on PS3. I can’t wait to be the newest member of the good looking franchise. I will probably get this game on PSP when I get my new PSP Slim hopefully next week.

+ self.confessed.cynic on September 28th, 2007 at 5:45 pm said:

Garr – my money… all… gone.

Ah well – time to up and buy a PSP and PS3.

Everyone knows the only contenders for best action games ever are Devil May Cry, God Of War and Ninja Gaiden.

So Cory – two questions (hope they get answered)

– What do you think of the competition? Think you can out-class Ninja Gaiden 2? (I think you can)

– How do you feel about people calling you Cory Balrog? (and have you considered changing your name? I would.)

+ PS3_GAM3R on September 28th, 2007 at 7:04 pm said:

Cory thank you so much for the great news!!! Finally I can get my hands on this DEMO, and will for sure buy this game on day one. In fact it’s paid in full-pre-order! Wow I am so happy. I am planning on buying the new SLIM PSP soon also. I got in to GOW late, but I do own the 1st one, and just bought the 2nd one. This is awesome. As a LOYAL Sony fan I am fricken HAPPY! I already own a PS3 also, becuase I love Sony! Bring on more great news, and tell us GOW 3 will be out Late 08!!

+ mrlogical on September 28th, 2007 at 8:00 pm said:

I only just got a PSP a few weeks ago, so maybe I missed something on this–how exactly does one get the GoW PSP demo disc? Is this for sale? For free? For preorderers? Or did I have to sign up at some point? Can I still get one?

+ MrDaBucket on September 28th, 2007 at 9:05 pm said:

Hey Cory!
How’s it going? Still at Sony Santa Monica and working with R.A.D. for GoW? That sounds cool.
Do you know if any special features will come with the retail version like what came on the GoW1 DVD and the bonus stuff on the GoW2 DVD (I preferred the GoW2 bonus material :D )?
That’d be great.
Anyways, thanks for taking the time to inform us gamers of this and if you ever get tired, I’d be glad to take your job……or any job working with SCEA games in creative design…….think about it. It’d be for the best to hook me up with that job.

Sincerely, you’reluckyIlikeyoumorethanDave fan…..Stephen P. AKA MrDaBucket AKA MDB AKA DaMan AKA your real dad.

+ joel on September 28th, 2007 at 9:53 pm said:

NG2 doesnt compete with god of war. Reviews say it all. I got mad that people thought Heavenly sword was a god of war rip off, that probably dropped the score. God of war 3 is coming, sony isnt going to give up their biggest franchise so easily.

+ roadclimber on September 28th, 2007 at 10:18 pm said:

I’m glad to see the Psp getting titles developed exclusively for its capabilities. Multiplatform releases that send out a token effort on the psp always come out short compared to the others. It’s quality games like this that are going to sell it more than anything else.

Sony, drown “Ready at Dawn” in cash and keep them making psp titles for as long as you possibly can. Between Daxter and God of War, Ready at Dawn is going to develope a devoted group of fans. Now if they could only come up with a survival-horror title i’m be in heaven…

Nice work Cory… this looks like an unquestionable best seller.

+ benjiedude on September 29th, 2007 at 8:24 am said:

Not sure if David Jaffe officially has anything to do with direction on the GOW series at all anymore. I think he is “helping” flesh out the story though and will probably hand it over to Cory if he hasn’t done so already. Either way…we all know they’re working on it. If they would just get it out there in time for winter 08 they would sell a lot of PS3′s!

+ Tidus on September 29th, 2007 at 10:54 am said:

I want this demo to download, because I live outside US :( Please, Cory :P

+ kratos_theGOW on September 29th, 2007 at 12:29 pm said:

even mobile gets GOD OF WAR:BETRAYAL

PS3 surely have GOD OF WAR 3

MY BEST DEVELOPERS: DAVID JAFFE and CORY BARLOG

+ kratos_theGOW on September 29th, 2007 at 12:30 pm said:

CORY why DAVID JAFFE leaves SONY???

I am very sad…

+ kratos_theGOW on September 29th, 2007 at 12:36 pm said:

CORY use ur SANTA MONICA studios for GOD OF WAR III.

+ kratos_theGOW on September 29th, 2007 at 12:39 pm said:

may GOD bless DAVID and CORY for giving us GOD OF WAR..

+ aaquib on September 29th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

Yeah I hope we see a downloadable version. I signed up, but it just seemed so simple, Im not sure it went through. It didnt ask me any questions at all. I just typed in my email address, and it said you will recieve your demo shortly. Plus I live in Canada, and Im not sure if you ship here.

+ fuzzysquash on September 29th, 2007 at 3:17 pm said:

@ kratos_theGOW:

GOD

+ fuzzysquash on September 29th, 2007 at 3:18 pm said:

@kratos_theGOW:

The GODS are dead because Kratos killed em all.

+ joel on September 29th, 2007 at 3:22 pm said:

Kratos hasnt killed any yet only the god of war. Zeus survived.

+ fuzzysquash on September 29th, 2007 at 3:59 pm said:

I’m just sayin’.

There won’t be any gods left after GoW III.

+ naughtyco on September 29th, 2007 at 5:54 pm said:

Along with the projects from Team Ico, Naughty Dog and Incognito, GoW falls into the “why I’m proud of my PS exclusives” category.

+ reesimo on September 29th, 2007 at 6:39 pm said:

This is great, guys. But um, not to be rude, but if you mailed it by FedEx I could’ve had it today. That’s all I’m saying. Just kidding–I can’t wait to play this demo. I wonder if Sony would consider a God Of War themed PSP. It would sell just like the Crisis Core PSP. At least in the US.

+ Cesar on September 29th, 2007 at 8:07 pm said:

Lets get God of war next year, and cut the price of the PS3 to $399.00
They have two new 360s for the Christmas holidays. The first is a somewhat uninspiring bundle, featuring Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance in a single box With HDMI and 256MB memory card,