PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Personality Profile: Everyday Shooter Creator, Jonathan Mak

Jonathan Mak's Avatar + Posted by Jonathan Mak on Oct 11, 2007 // Creator, Everyday Shooter

Hi everyone, I’m Jonathan Mak, creator of Everyday Shooter, a game I know you’ve heard a little about recently from Rusty Buchert. I thought I’d pop by to give everyone a purview into the life of the one-man developing crew that is Quesy Games (me). Here are few photos to illustrate.

My PS3 is sitting on the box that it came in.

I look forward to playing Heavenly Sword on my 12″ TV.

Most developers have mountains of candy and soda. I have seaweed.

Yesterday I bought 5lbs of hash browns.

As I’m writing this, I’m talking to a game developer who’s friends throw pig’s blood at each other.

I can no longer stay awake for more than eight hours at a time.

The Everyday Shooter code has no 4s or 5s execpt in the combination of 54, or in very rare instances 0.5, because 5 and 4 are very unlucky numbers.

There are eight levels in Everyday Shooter and eight points in this post because eight is a very lucky number.

126 Comments

+ OrganicShadow on October 11th, 2007 at 2:35 pm said:

People: Buy this man a case of dust-off cans so he can rid his PC and desk area of all the dust.

Oh, and one of those new swiffer vacuum things too. I have one and it rocks.

Thanks for giving us a peek Jonathan!

+ MrCamo on October 11th, 2007 at 2:44 pm said:

Wow, way to keep the Trolls out!! i have not seen one bickering post yet!! I am stoked to see a typical guy making a game for us. Keep on bringing them on, and keep it original!! thanks for the post!!

+ StalkingSilence on October 11th, 2007 at 2:51 pm said:

Hey, if you want to upgrade your mattress, you probably should ask Sony to lower your game’s cost in the upcoming weeks. Or have a sale day or two. I’ve been burned by too many analog shooters on the PSN that others thought were good. BTW, the trailer (don’t think you put that together) was lame b/c it had random music playing over the game. I wanted to see what it looks like and sounds like live in-game.

+ foolio_67 on October 11th, 2007 at 3:01 pm said:

Haha nice post.

+ Bones00 on October 11th, 2007 at 3:20 pm said:

I’d like to know from the peeps who have downloaded the game…how do you like it? How fun is it? What would you rate it out of a possible five stars?

+ DarkKnight on October 11th, 2007 at 3:34 pm said:

Great Post! I am another fellow Canuck impressed by your story! Congrats on your (I have to say impending after seeing that TV) success!

+ Demon on October 11th, 2007 at 3:35 pm said:

My 15 inch tv is bigger than yours, woohoo! Damn, I’m big. :)

seaweed….sweet.

+ TheTwelve on October 11th, 2007 at 3:35 pm said:

Just downloaded the game and am playing it now. Paused it because I just wanted to type:

I LOVE IT.

It’s really genius, addictive, and heck there are even fun things to unlock. You’ve got a winner on your hands here, Johnathan. I love how, no matter what you do in gameplay (and even the menu), the accompanying sounds always match the current song. I love music and I love shooters and this just resonates in me two times over.

Hey, Johnathan, with the money you’ll get from this game, you’ll be able to buy a better TV. =) Thank you for making this game and letting us play it. This is a gem and I’m happy to be a part of it. Hopefully I will be informed of your future creations.

I recommend everyone to play this game. It’s got heart written all over it. Heck, even the notes section of the game is sweet. The first paragraph had me rolling….”wankery”…haha!

The game looks great on a 42 inch Bravia, btw.

Alright, I want to get back to playing more of the game before my dinner guest comes at 7.

P.S. BTW, I thought I was the only person who liked roasted seaweed. =)

P.S.S. PSN ID: TheTwelve (For Johnathan or anyone else who’ll enjoy this game like I do)

+ TheTwelve on October 11th, 2007 at 3:37 pm said:

Oh, and out of 5 stars…well, I’ve only played it for about 10 minutes and I’m giving it a 6. We’ll see if that lasts.—12

+ XxBigP123xX on October 11th, 2007 at 3:53 pm said:

i want a demo :( i cant get it until next week :(

+ El-Suave on October 11th, 2007 at 3:57 pm said:

I downloaded the game and I’m loving it. Great scoring system with all the unlockable stuff.

+ TheTwelve on October 11th, 2007 at 3:58 pm said:

Played 32% of it. Still a 6. Every level has its own style and chain objectives. Died in the third level trying to figure it out. My guests are late so I can play a bit more.—12

+ Lithgow on October 11th, 2007 at 4:07 pm said:

Lol, nice TV. I also have an SDTV, but 27 inch, and I couldn’t be more satisfied. And you get a crapload of dust on that beautiful machine.

+ gardea on October 11th, 2007 at 4:08 pm said:

How much did you get from Sony for your game? :D

Also, how many people helped you with it? Did Sony help afterward?

+ xplosneer on October 11th, 2007 at 4:09 pm said:

Dang hope you can get a better TV and good luck with Heavenly Sword! Thanks for coming on, I’ll get your game once I get a 120GB hard drive cause I only got a 20GB and had to delete a couple demos just to download Ratchet!

+ TheTwelve on October 11th, 2007 at 4:11 pm said:

I think that 32% only meant 32% of that level. Because I just died in level 3 again and it said 54%. This game is longer than I thought.—12

+ Demon on October 11th, 2007 at 4:15 pm said:

Bought the game and I like it.

+ joel on October 11th, 2007 at 4:26 pm said:

Pretty cool game..(woops the $hit out of FLOw..)

Not as good as go sport ski though..

+ Rzarekta on October 11th, 2007 at 4:51 pm said:

You guys don’t get it huh? He has a ton of seaWEED and HASH browns. See the words in caps??? It’s a joke, as in, he needed lots of weed and hash to make this game. The game’s awesome by the way to anyone on the fense. Must buy game.

+ RatchetFanatic on October 11th, 2007 at 6:15 pm said:

Heavenly Sword sucked so don’t look forward to it too much.

+ TheTwelve on October 11th, 2007 at 6:15 pm said:

Rzareka….you’re a genius. Wow. I feel like a dope for missing that.—12

+ Vassago on October 11th, 2007 at 6:18 pm said:

i just buy it :)

+ MilkMan on October 11th, 2007 at 8:19 pm said:

awesome game you made, your the man

+ TheApprentice on October 11th, 2007 at 10:02 pm said:

Its amazing how you’ve developed a PS3 title on your own…

I’m hoping to get involved in game development in the near future..
So it’d be awesome if you could post up an article showing how you developed the game and what you had to attain to make the game…

But congrats on the title :D
> I want to download it…But sony doesn’t support us Caribbean users (credit card etc..) with the Playstation Store… :( :( :(
Put in a word for us :P

+ chainlink13 on October 11th, 2007 at 10:10 pm said:

Wow…amazing game. I just played the first few levels and I realized after reading your “About” section that you were heavily influenced by Kenta Cho of ABA games. I should have known! Tumiki Fighters is amazing!

+ Nymo on October 11th, 2007 at 10:35 pm said:

You, sir, are an awesome one-man band. One that lives quite a similar lifestyle as me and maybe several other gamers out here…

Love your efforts, and Everyday Shooter…
And seaweed.

+ zookey on October 11th, 2007 at 10:39 pm said:

Not a big fan of Seaweed, but I just played a lot of Everyday Shooter—it is awesome how you took Geometry Wars and Lumines and mixed them with your own unique style—easily worth the 10 bucks–I love games too that, when you die, your points or whatever still go towards making you stronger (in this case, enabling you to buy upgrades)—really makes the game for everyone instead of just 733t players!

+ TheHakku on October 11th, 2007 at 11:52 pm said:

Asteroids + Every Extend == Everyday Shooter.

+ mnemo on October 12th, 2007 at 12:40 am said:

Who would’ve thought one would get to see the classic “DESIGN PATTERNS” book in a games blog? 8-) And man, that apartment is a mess.

+ Classic on October 12th, 2007 at 1:07 am said:

Hey Jon – glad to see it finally made it out! It was a real pleasure getting to work with you, and it’s an even bigger pleasure seeing you get the credit and accolades you deserve!

Cheers to your success and triumphs over all the hurdles. Have a good weekend!

-Randall

+ Jeigh on October 12th, 2007 at 8:38 am said:

Interesting.

+ Globox82 on October 12th, 2007 at 9:17 am said:

Crazy, hope you earn a lot of money with you game, good luck!

Jonathan Mak's Avatar

+ Jonathan Mak on October 12th, 2007 at 10:04 am said:

hey guys, just wanted to say thank you for all of your kind words! And Rzarekta: you made my day :)

+ silentmatt on October 12th, 2007 at 10:26 am said:

@69 – seriously, the game is only 38 MB.

You can make room.

+ Savage on October 12th, 2007 at 10:56 am said:

Hi Jonathan,
It’s great to see an indie developer get the chance to write stuff for the PS3.
I have been a big fan of the IGF and my company has sponsored IGF entries in an attempt to encourage indie developers. This year we are sponsoring CrashBlock and last year we sponsored Tanx. Not massive games I know, but it’s a start.

Since you have Sony’s ear, can you tell them to release something like XNA or better so that indie developers have a cheap route to creating original and compelling content for PSN.

Anyway keep up the excellent work, I will be purchasing your game shortly.

+ Davitr0n on October 12th, 2007 at 10:59 am said:

Just bought this game during my lunch break and played a bit.

Mr. Mak, I would like to thank you for such a wonderful game. I almost don’t want to call it a game because I think it is more like art. Beautiful.

If you haven’t gotten this game yet, I would strongly recommend picking it up. Best $10 I have spent in a while, especially in this day and age of $60 games that have little substance.

+ tacoTRUCK on October 12th, 2007 at 2:57 pm said:

Beautiful piece of art. My girlfren and I were completely overwhelmed for hours playing your creation. It’s a hard Friday work day when all you can think about is being a tiny dot. Thanks for this. PSN id tacoTRUCK.

+ PSPMAN07 on October 12th, 2007 at 3:07 pm said:

You produced a great game, I’m addicted to it :) Thanks for making it

+ tacoTRUCK on October 12th, 2007 at 5:14 pm said:

Anybody interested in One Man creative efforts should check out the music of That 1 Guy (www.that1guy.com), he even built and designed his instrument. Hmmm, a Jonathan Mak game featuring the music of That 1 Guy, this would be nice.

+ eclipse26 on October 12th, 2007 at 5:30 pm said:

Jonathan, awesome stuff man. Keep fighting the good fight. You got my support

PSN ID: SoldierofVirtue

P.S. I envy your seawees and hashbrowns because i am looking for a job and must currently hold back from that……sigh

+ Nismobeach on October 12th, 2007 at 5:35 pm said:

Jon,

Thanks for creating such an awesome game.

I bought and played it last night for an hour and then spent another hour on Warhawk trying to encourage other people to buy it.

As stated above, GIVE THIS MAN A BRAVIA!!

+ Sakimori_X on October 12th, 2007 at 5:50 pm said:

Wow. Had been looking forward to this game for some time and I just now got it. This really is something else.

Congratulations on a great job, Jonathan!

+ orbio234 on October 12th, 2007 at 5:58 pm said:

difficult to do…get away from the everyday shooter…good title …a game you want to play everyday…there must be another word for addictive regarding this game..tons of fun…now that i have added to the congrats back to the game…..

+ Rzarekta on October 12th, 2007 at 6:06 pm said:

@ jonathon mak: Haha, glad to hear it!

+ Squamden on October 12th, 2007 at 6:35 pm said:

I can’t believe that you made that entire game by yourself. How did you learn how to create it? Did you take any professional classes, or just learn it on your own? The game is awesome by the way. I had to stop playing it to post this comment…bummer.

+ gourmettea on October 12th, 2007 at 9:24 pm said:

Are you Chinese? Asian something right?

Pigs Blood, 8, 4, 5, seeweed, package below the hash browns….

Great game BTW…wonder if this thread will reach 420?

+ turstkill on October 12th, 2007 at 11:34 pm said:

hey jonathan.
i think you’re cooler than cliffyB.
haven’t bought the game for the same reason i assume you have a 12″ TV. Looking forward to getting my grubby hands on it, though.

+ gstatty on October 13th, 2007 at 12:27 am said:

i’m guessing that after your game sells a few million you can upgrade to a super sick tv/monitor to play heavenly sword on and root on, until then your seaweed snacks will have to make do, i just played some everyday shooter last night, and i must say, i love the guitar chords and how the game makes me feel like i am in a jam band, it seriously made me want to pick up my guitar while someone else played and i watched and tuned in, great game, congrats on such a sweet morsel of indie goodness, although i would love to see it come back to pc, maybe on the psp, etc. etc.

+ gstatty on October 13th, 2007 at 12:28 am said:

oh yeah, nice amp or effects switches or whatever that is in one of your pix

+ FoxKit on October 13th, 2007 at 1:25 am said:

Johnathan, I’m sure you get this a lot-
But with a bunch of Devs complaining that the PS3 hardware is difficult to develop for, how was it getting the game up and running in three days?

But alternatively- I’ve been playing your game for about three hours now. Me and my girlfriend love it! ^-^ It’s really great to see Indy games doing well, and being supported by the least likely of candidates, corporations. I can’t wait to see more from ya- you’ve made a fan of me. ^-^

Hope to see more soon