PlayStation Experience

Oct 11

Personality Profile: Everyday Shooter Creator, Jonathan Mak

Jonathan Mak's Avatar Posted by Jonathan Mak on Oct 11, 2007 // Creator, Everyday Shooter

Hi everyone, I’m Jonathan Mak, creator of Everyday Shooter, a game I know you’ve heard a little about recently from Rusty Buchert. I thought I’d pop by to give everyone a purview into the life of the one-man developing crew that is Quesy Games (me). Here are few photos to illustrate.

My PS3 is sitting on the box that it came in.

I look forward to playing Heavenly Sword on my 12″ TV.

Most developers have mountains of candy and soda. I have seaweed.

Yesterday I bought 5lbs of hash browns.

As I’m writing this, I’m talking to a game developer who’s friends throw pig’s blood at each other.

I can no longer stay awake for more than eight hours at a time.

The Everyday Shooter code has no 4s or 5s execpt in the combination of 54, or in very rare instances 0.5, because 5 and 4 are very unlucky numbers.

There are eight levels in Everyday Shooter and eight points in this post because eight is a very lucky number.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ A look at Jon Mak’s life » PS3 Game Players on October 12th, 2007 at 5:35 pm said:

[…] Games Festival, and Sony immediately signed a deal with the one-man Queasy Games. A recent update shows some of the crazy thoughts from the mind of this burgeoning games developer. See his […]

+ Sakimori_X on October 12th, 2007 at 5:50 pm said:

Wow. Had been looking forward to this game for some time and I just now got it. This really is something else.

Congratulations on a great job, Jonathan!

+ orbio234 on October 12th, 2007 at 5:58 pm said:

difficult to do…get away from the everyday shooter…good title …a game you want to play everyday…there must be another word for addictive regarding this game..tons of fun…now that i have added to the congrats back to the game…..

+ Rzarekta on October 12th, 2007 at 6:06 pm said:

@ jonathon mak: Haha, glad to hear it!

+ Squamden on October 12th, 2007 at 6:35 pm said:

I can’t believe that you made that entire game by yourself. How did you learn how to create it? Did you take any professional classes, or just learn it on your own? The game is awesome by the way. I had to stop playing it to post this comment…bummer.

+ gourmettea on October 12th, 2007 at 9:24 pm said:

Are you Chinese? Asian something right?

Pigs Blood, 8, 4, 5, seeweed, package below the hash browns….

Great game BTW…wonder if this thread will reach 420?

+ turstkill on October 12th, 2007 at 11:34 pm said:

hey jonathan.
i think you’re cooler than cliffyB.
haven’t bought the game for the same reason i assume you have a 12″ TV. Looking forward to getting my grubby hands on it, though.

+ gstatty on October 13th, 2007 at 12:27 am said:

i’m guessing that after your game sells a few million you can upgrade to a super sick tv/monitor to play heavenly sword on and root on, until then your seaweed snacks will have to make do, i just played some everyday shooter last night, and i must say, i love the guitar chords and how the game makes me feel like i am in a jam band, it seriously made me want to pick up my guitar while someone else played and i watched and tuned in, great game, congrats on such a sweet morsel of indie goodness, although i would love to see it come back to pc, maybe on the psp, etc. etc.

+ gstatty on October 13th, 2007 at 12:28 am said:

oh yeah, nice amp or effects switches or whatever that is in one of your pix

+ FoxKit on October 13th, 2007 at 1:25 am said:

Johnathan, I’m sure you get this a lot-
But with a bunch of Devs complaining that the PS3 hardware is difficult to develop for, how was it getting the game up and running in three days?

But alternatively- I’ve been playing your game for about three hours now. Me and my girlfriend love it! ^-^ It’s really great to see Indy games doing well, and being supported by the least likely of candidates, corporations. I can’t wait to see more from ya- you’ve made a fan of me. ^-^

Hope to see more soon
– Kit

+ Everyday Shooter - FreddysHouse on October 13th, 2007 at 9:23 am said:

[…] behind the highly anticipated and criticaly acclaimed PS3/PSN game EveryDay Shooter has posted a Blog on the sony PSN blog site with an odd bunch of pics __________________ f00s!!!! ZSiRC Gimpshop […]

+ Cartoons Plugin » Blog Archive » kim possible lesbian art A Brilliant PS3 Game Made by One Man on October 13th, 2007 at 9:31 am said:

[…] made by a development team of 1. The story of Everyday Shooter creator Jonathan Mak. kim possible tfread more | digg […]

+ Davidqwq on October 13th, 2007 at 9:56 am said:

Yo wasup man, nice game its really colorful, so i was wondering if u can add me im Davidqwq just like me username in this blog.. k hope we can talk and play soon bye! :-)

+ HisMajesty on October 13th, 2007 at 10:20 am said:

+ Angelus897 on October 13th, 2007 at 11:14 am said:

This is what I love about PSN. One man developer is able to release a game to the mass audience that rivals multi-million dollar hits in gameplay (and surpasses most). Job well done John and Sony!

+ verxion on October 13th, 2007 at 11:35 pm said:

I just registered on this blog for the sole reason of being able to post about this game.

I read people’s comments here FIRST, then before I bought the game, I went and looked at the reviews on IGN and Gamespot. I very VERY nearly didn’t buy the game just because of those reviews, they rated it low, and it didn’t sound nearly as good from their reviews…

I ended up deciding to buy the game to support Jon Mak. I figured the ten bucks would support him and then if the game was at least moderately enjoyable, I would get my money’s worth.

I don’t know if I just suck at shooters, or what, but I find Everyday Shooter to be somewhat hard. At first, I was quite fearful it would be entirely tooo hard. By the time I tried level 2, I was pretty much of the opinion that I wouldn’t ever see the end of the game…

The upgrade system is what saved it for me, personally. I was able to buy some more lives, and low and behold, I could then get MUCH further. Eventually I got to level 3, and was having just a hell of a time with it. Then I was able to unlock that level for single play, and mastered it well enough that I thought I would be able to get past it in normal play.

It took me a few hours to get past levels 1 and 2 with enough lives left to get past level 3. Once I did, unbelievably I got past level 4 that same game, first try! Level 5 is frigging amazingly cool. I really love it.

So I just had to pop in here and post and say that for -*ME*-, this is a really fun game. It is very challenging and refreshingly different in its style than anything I have ever played before.

Three thumbs up. :) (yeah, I had to borrow a thumb to give it a rating that high!)

+ theevilaires on October 14th, 2007 at 10:27 am said:

cool game man, i love E.D.S.

+ theevilaires on October 14th, 2007 at 10:37 am said:

this game rocks

+ Broken Haiku on October 14th, 2007 at 10:47 am said:

Jonathan Mak, the Jeff Minter of the 21st Century. ’nuff said.

+ Vassago on October 15th, 2007 at 3:19 pm said:

Im here again just to say you make really a good game all the music are just so great say to all your team its really a great work. Really good again i hope all your work will be payback to you and thank again for that great game :)
me i give 9/10 gamespot give you 8 i think its not enough :)

+ A Brilliant PS3 Game Made by One Man | Vistrix's Blog on October 16th, 2007 at 3:42 am said:

[…] story of the PSN game “Everyday Shooter” from the creator, Jonathan more | digg […]

+ martino on October 18th, 2007 at 2:30 pm said:

Acces Virus B and Yorkville Studio monitors. We got something in common! Great job on the game too btw!

+ Risr on October 22nd, 2007 at 4:09 pm said:

Hey Jon,

One question for you.

How’d you get a hold of the dev tools to make the game?

+ ThemePassion - Best stuff about design! » Personality Profile: Everyday Shooter Creator, Jonathan Mak on October 27th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

[…] Raj Dash wrote an interesting post today!.Here’s a quick excerptHi everyone, I’m Jonathan Mak, creator of Everyday Shooter, a game I know you’ve heard a little about recently from Rusty Buchert. I thought I’d pop by to give everyone a purview into the life of the one-man developing crew that is … […]

+ consoleer » Blog Archive » Gallery: The Man Behind Everyday Shooter on November 13th, 2007 at 8:19 am said:

[…] Personality Profile: Everyday Shooter Creator, Jonathan Mak [PS Blog] […]

+ » Games and characters, it’s all about the characters on March 27th, 2008 at 3:23 am said:

[…] I was reading the Playstation Blog, especially this posting. […]