PS4 - Destiny

New PS3 TV Ad Campaign

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Oct 31, 2007 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Greetings PlayStation Nation!

Like all of you, I’ve been a big fan of our new blog – but until now, I’ve been staying behind the scenes. I’m excited to share my first post here and thought that our new advertising campaign for the PS3 would be of interest to everyone. In fact, the campaign is scheduled to break this weekend in conjunction with the introduction of the new 40GB PS3 here in North America. But as a reward for being some of our most loyal fans, I wanted to get this out to all of you first.

Last year, we launched the PS3 with a campaign that become known as the “White Room” and we received a strong reaction to those ads for being provocative and demonstrating the PS3’s power. With those technology messages now firmly embedded, we wanted to move beyond the “power” message with a more high-energy, entertainment driven focus for the PS3. The games are here, the price point is now $399 and we wanted to make the news loud and clear. But we need to deliver that in a way that befits the PlayStation brand. And so, beyond the brilliant HD games that the PS3 delivers, you’ll also see a big focus behind the PS3’s Blu-ray movie capability and, for the first time, you’ll see a major focus behind the PLAYSTATION Network (did I mention online gaming is free on PS3??) and the exclusive gaming content available on the PLAYSTATION Store, as well as breakthrough services like Home. As Kim noted in her recent post, with so much brewing inside the PS3, the icons and characters of the PS3 world come to life in the vivid black onyx world of the PS3 and nearly burst out of its seams.

The spots feature some of our recent and highly anticipated first-party titles including Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, as well as upcoming third-party exclusives such as Haze from Ubisoft and Metal Gear Solid 4 from Konami. I recall seeing some comments on this blog recently lamenting why we weren’t making a bigger deal out of Metal Gear. Well, get ready for a steady diet, because Metal Gear Solid is the mother of all exclusives and we can’t wait for its release. But we’ll also feature other great PS3 games like Burnout Paradise, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008, Assassin’s Creed, Madden NFL 08 and Time Crisis 4 rounding out the genre-defining titles and breadth of a lineup that you can only find on PLAYSTATION 3.

We’re kicking off the campaign in a big way with high-impact: 60 second spots (“Universe of Entertainment”) which feature PS3’s multi-functional capabilities and really kicks off the compelling and addictive nature of this campaign.

The second is our :30 “Only On” spot showcasing some of our gorgeous 1st party titles.

More television spots are still under development and we’ll reveal them as they’re finished.

As we head into November we couldn’t be more excited. We have the 40GB PS3 “officially” launching tomorrow at a price point that will appeal to a wider audience and the 80GB PS3 which is demonstrating phenomenal sales growth since we announced the $499 price point. Add to that the inflow of great games and a PS3 brand campaign — our largest ever behind a hardware platform — and we think it’s going to be a great holiday season for PS3.

And I’d be remiss not to mention the highly-anticipated titles coming in 2008 like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Grand Theft Auto IV, Killzone 2, SingStar, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4 and of course, Home. And rest assured, we have some secrets and many new games up our sleeves for 2008 as well. We can’t wait to kick it all off!

So, we hope you like the campaign. You guys are our biggest fans and I can tell you all with complete sincerity that we work hard to earn your trust and loyalty every day. Because we know if we can meet your high expectations, you’ll tell your friends and the rest will take care of itself.

Thanks and have fun!

431 Comments

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9

+ the6one on November 6th, 2007 at 4:16 pm said:

Great to see you guys become SONY again. Well, I guess its good riddens to our competition. Not saying that didn’t pose a challenge because they definitely did. However, now that we’ve got software and are only going to gain more through the year of 08, it seems things are finally looking up for us. Major 3rd party titles were getting better scores from our competition but thanks to getting an awareness of this we are now “correcting” that problem and the results are pretty good so far. Major title Call of Duty 4 is understood to be slightly better than our competition’s version of the game. PS3 computer entertainment system and its Cell Broadband Engine allowed the developer Activision to create better lighting and sharper graphics. Development with the PS3′s cells processors are only going to get better and better over time. Blu-ray is indeed the future but some people in the industry still haven’t bought into that idea just yet. I am so proud to be a consumer of SONY products, it is an honor, priveledge and joy to support SONY becasue you guys have indeed proven yourselves worthy of such honor. You have my support as well as the support of all your most faithful and loyal consumers. As for as the “unfaithful” are concerned, don’t worry about them because they are like the waves being tossed to and fro without any foundation. Happy holidays and a happy New Year. Go Sony, Goooooo…!!!!

the6one……..

+ BrianC6234 on November 6th, 2007 at 4:46 pm said:

It looks like everyone really likes the new ads. Even AdWeek seems to. Here’s a link to their review.

+ the6one on November 6th, 2007 at 7:28 pm said:

I have been trying to relieve myself of these wonderfully thought out adds that have been put together. Not being negative, I just didn’t want them to become old. Man, I can say confidently that you guys are indeed BACK in the game and SOON you will be VICTORIOUS in the GAME!!! I have tried like you Peter to MAKE these adds somehow boring or stale and I am failing to do that which means that we’ve got a WINNER with these adds. These adds are addicting, informative, and educational. You guys are not forcing blu-ray as I said, but rather informing consumers on this great technology that seemingly without a doubt will be the victor in the format war. You guys are truly the bomb and I mean that. I am glad that guys entered the videogames business. Without you, I don’t think I would have grown in the knowledge of the business as well as a gamer. I wish the very best for you guys as I am now indeed excited about SONY and the Playstation brand again!! Great with PSP marketing and sales as well. GOOOO…. SONY….GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

yours truly,

the6one…….

+ Acemics on November 9th, 2007 at 8:00 am said:

Its good……really good.
I hope Sony is pumping this thing out as much as possible the next two months…..

+ TonyNibbles on November 15th, 2007 at 9:57 am said:

Do you realise this article links the word ‘Home’ in the games list to playstationhome.com which is a totally unofficial site.

afaik, this is the official site

+ besin on November 19th, 2007 at 8:13 am said:

Metal Gear Solid is, indeed, “the mother of all exclusives”. Hands down!

Thanks to Peter Dille for pointing out this fact in such a straightforward manner.

Cannot wait for MGS4 to come out; it will be the game that instills life to Sony’s war machine, PLAYSTATION 3. It’s gonna rock our world.

+ octogon on November 22nd, 2007 at 5:51 pm said:

Let me echo everyone else…
THAT ROX HARD!!

Now, please provide us the High Definition Versions on the PSN of “Universe” and the “White Room – Rubic’s Cube”, and any other campaign video we can showcase to family and friends. Keep rocking. Also any chance independent artists can submit music a song to be considered? Please let me know.

+ Havoc1284 on November 22nd, 2007 at 11:39 pm said:

That was awesome! but still my fav was the doll crying it makes me laugh every time!!

aaa aaa aa aa p s threeee lol

+ assassin_man on November 23rd, 2007 at 8:24 pm said:

what is the song for the commercial it is awesome

+ pieisgood123 on November 27th, 2007 at 12:14 am said:

sure nice ps3 is great but everyone nows 360 owns it by far

+ pieisgood123 on November 27th, 2007 at 12:15 am said:

the best is xbox ( no offense ps3 still rocks)

+ kkgoh07 on November 27th, 2007 at 8:22 am said:

Hi Peter,

Good job on finally rolling out the heavy advertising for PS3 in time for the holidays.

I posted a comment on Kim Nguyen’s latest post about the advertising efforts and wanted to make the same point here. As you said it, the PS3 is multi-functional and can handle a lot of creative aspects, so advertise it! I didn’t sense any real innovation in the games that were advertised (Heavenly Sword, Drake’s Fortune, etc). It isn’t that they aren’t great games, its just that they were advertised AFTER Xbox had its run with Gears of War and other action intensive titles. From a quick poll amongst friends, we got the sense that Sony was just trying to compete with Xbox when I know the PS3 can do so much more.

From the developer videos on the PS Eye to glimpses of HOME and flOW, there’s so much more creativity than Xbox ever has. The PS3 can easily compete on the same terms as Nintendo as well. It just needs to be shown on the proper channels and not confined to online ads and internet videos. I’m sure the marketing team can come up with a way to make those videos into TV ads.

You’ve got a great system on your hands, and its time to get the message across. The new price point works for most people, now its on to the other aspects. As a fan and someone who wants to be vested in Sony, I’d love to discuss more about this with you, just drop me an email anytime.

+ pieisgood123 on November 27th, 2007 at 3:07 pm said:

dude u sound like a fortune cookie ps3 doesnt do more because it cant 360 is da best by far too bad little ps3 its so lame and plus the wii ows it too dis is to the comment on top of me!

PAGE 1 6 7 8