Far Cry 4

Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #6

Greg Phillips's Avatar + Posted by Greg Phillips on Oct 31, 2007 // Producer, SCEA

To finish off our developer diary series on Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, we have this guy named Ted Price, whom you may have heard of once or twice before :). He’s the founder and CEO of Insomniac Games and was the creative director on Resistance: Fall of Man. For RCF, Ted took a back seat as Brian Allgier (creative director) and John Fiorito (project manager) helmed the good ship Ratchet & Clank. Only to watch it become the good pirate ship Ratchet & Clank.

But I digress, so without further adieu, Ted’s dev diary on Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction!

Additional Insomniac interviews:
Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #5 (Bill Parmenter and Brian Mathison)
Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #4 (Giac Veltri)
Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #3 (Mark Lee)
Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #2 (TJ Fixman)
Ratchet & Clank Future Developer Diary #1 (Brian Hastings)

Please also read our previous PlayStation.Blog Ratchet & Clank Future posts.

28 Comments

+ Devin1498 on October 31st, 2007 at 12:24 pm said:

ted price=HUNK/SEX . he’s the cutest man in the industry

+ Top_Shelf on October 31st, 2007 at 12:25 pm said:

Nice video. I love the comment about being open about development to further development as a whole and agree. The real secrets are in managing the development and coming up with new ideas and maybe some technical choices in 3d engines, etc., but sharing ideas about how to better utilize the ps3 platform in general is great and I don’t see how it’s not a good thing for everyone in the industry.

But really, wow you really really left us hanging with that last comment… With so much talk about Resistance, is it a Resistance 2?? if so, please add bots and multiplayer split screen online, etc. and a bigger ending and more gameplay that pushes you into wanting to see what’s next… :D

+ Draicus on October 31st, 2007 at 12:40 pm said:

Oh, that “To Be Continued” was harsh. When will it be continued? Within the week, month, year? If it’s either of the latter two options, then shame on you!

Overall, another great developer diary. It’s really hard not to appreciate Insomniac and their work ethics.

+ lostboy85 on October 31st, 2007 at 12:45 pm said:

Its nice hearing from Ted in this series of videos. As a huge Insomniac fan I’m constantly wondering what Ted is up to and what his thoughts are. Ratchet and Clank Future: TOD is truly an amazing game, i haven’t had this much fun with a game in a long time.
Thank You.

+ kadab on October 31st, 2007 at 12:48 pm said:

o man you guys at INSOMNIAC ARE CRUUUUUUEEEELLLLLL, anyway thanks for making the best PS3 Game( so far)
l really like your company’s attitude( how you share info with other companies). You guys a really setting an example of how it should be done. Thanks guys

+ Globox82 on October 31st, 2007 at 12:56 pm said:

Am i the only one that can’t see last 6 seconds?

+ Dominican21 on October 31st, 2007 at 12:59 pm said:

Best Developers In The Entire World. You guys really make other developers look bad lol… cough cough* EA cought* Ubisoft cough* excuse me lol.

+ Nynja on October 31st, 2007 at 1:36 pm said:

OF COURSE… cut off the vid right before he says what the next game is… nice. Actually, you’re a tease…!! :)

+ Violater on October 31st, 2007 at 1:42 pm said:

Hey Ted,
I’ve beat ratchet, sooooo when do we hear about Sgt. Hale?

+ kanyn on October 31st, 2007 at 1:53 pm said:

Hahaha…Nice ending.

+ nmc75 on October 31st, 2007 at 2:03 pm said:

ahem.. speaking about Resistance… when are we going to see/hear about Resistance 2?

+ gamesblow on October 31st, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

There he is! That dude is slick as grease, man. I love the end. Awesome cliff hanger, much like their kick balls game. Thumbs up to Insomniac~ New York Times… what’s next for these guys?

+ Karamo on October 31st, 2007 at 5:12 pm said:

Tedd you are the man, great job to the team and your self. my $ is your, the game seems to be attracting many kind of audiences. You are a great partner of sony

+ Hitman_Legend on October 31st, 2007 at 5:26 pm said:

Hmm that to be continued wasn’t funny, but it was clever can’t wait to get a chance to pick up Ratchet, Ive loved the series so far, it really is a nice change with aside from a shooter which has become sort of dominate.

+ Voozi on October 31st, 2007 at 6:35 pm said:

Resistance: Rise of Man 100% confirmed!

+ blade402 on October 31st, 2007 at 10:36 pm said:

Dominican21 let us just hope EA does not mess up any future Bioware games. I was very disappointed when I heard they joined together. Though realistically I’m sure Bioware’s talent did not go anywhere.

Insomniac is a great developing company. I’m anxious to see what they produce next.

+ WHAT on November 1st, 2007 at 5:06 am said:

Thanks for given me a reason to keep playing.

+ JaKhris on November 1st, 2007 at 5:18 am said:

Ratchet is a must-have for all PS3 possessors, I’m glad there a excellent developpers like Insomniac out there. :)
Good luck with your next game. ;)

+ gamesblow on November 1st, 2007 at 5:51 am said:

I hope Resistance 2 is next, but what I hope even more for when it does hit … “RTL” Real time lighting!!! I’d also like to see not so much of a linear path thru the game. All FPs are “or seem to be” Liner… They don’t need to be. I’d love to see Resistance really break that mold and allow branching paths and more than one way to get to the end of the levels.

+ Jeigh on November 1st, 2007 at 8:32 am said:

NOOOOOOOO! Aw, you guys! :D I love message you were sending out- helping, sharing, caring! :P Just kidding. Thanks for R&C- I loved and am still loving it! :D

+ Mort on November 1st, 2007 at 10:02 am said:

To the whole team at Insomniac: You have every right to feel massive pride in this game. It is awesome, in the true sense of the word

I have been a Ratchet fan from day one. I have purchased and finished every game you guys have put out in this series, and I can honestly say, without hesitation, this is the best one. Games should be about one thing: Fun. This game has fun in spades. I could not put it down.

Thank you so much for the love you craft into all of your games. I also love Resistance, head and shoulders above the rest of the launch titles, and still my second favorite PS3 game. I can’t wait to play it again, this time with rumble. Hopefully, just before Rise of Man comes out………..

+ Ultima-Bahamut on November 1st, 2007 at 5:53 pm said:

Awesome.

+ Ultima-Bahamut on November 1st, 2007 at 5:54 pm said:

and wowsome

+ MaxX on November 2nd, 2007 at 12:30 am said:

Awesome!!!!, the thing that I like about them its that they create their own technology, like their own engines, they don’t go using other peoples game engines.

PS.
GRRRR!!!!!! I Wanna know whats their next game!.

+ Danny on November 4th, 2007 at 2:34 am said:

you cant go wrong with Insomniac

+ b60904 on November 27th, 2007 at 2:27 pm said: