PS4-The Order

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Demo Back on the World Map

Christophe Balestra's Avatar + Posted by Christophe Balestra on Nov 09, 2007 // Co-President Naughty Dog

Like UNCHARTED

Christophe Balestra, here, and I’m Co-President at Naughty Dog. I wanted to give a final update on the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo situation.

We’re really sorry about what happened and didn’t anticipate this at all. We just didn’t know people from other territories could connect to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store and download demos … now we do! We’ve been too busy working on the game to wrap our head’s around the infrastructure of the PSN.

We absolutely did not plan the demo to be region locked. As soon as we figured out the problem existed, Sam Thompson called me and I jumped into my car, drove to the office and fixed it right away. It’s an honest mistake and we didn’t try to prevent anybody from enjoying the Uncharted demo. I feel even more sorry because most of the people who experienced the problem are in Europe and I’m European myself.

So again, we’re really sorry about what happened and it wasn’t done on purpose. The good news is it’s now fixed and a new demo of Uncharted has been posted to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store so the entire world can enjoy it.

Thanks to Sam for taking the heat yesterday and for letting us know about the issue.

262 Comments

+ Lp47 on November 9th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

There you UK fans happy, JK i love the demo naughty dog, this games first on my wishlist. You guys really got something awesome with this game.

+ tei15 on November 9th, 2007 at 11:10 pm said:

wow, guys, you are great! THANKS A LOT for fixing everything so fast!

+ p_weezy on November 9th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

wow can today get any better and it’s just 6.14am. i take every unkind word i said about ND back i think my prob now is with SCEE. you guys are the best i haven’t even downloaded yet but i’m definately pre-ordering now. thanks ND keep up the good work you guys just moved to no 1 developers in my book

+ Mr.Fusion on November 9th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

the only negative I have for this demo, is when you jump forward on flat ground for no reason other than to jump, you seem to float longer than feels right.

Oh and I tried shooting the bird on the log but it just flew off… not that I wanted to kill it, but I was testing the boundaries of the world.

Other than that the animations are fantastic, the details are fantastic, the lighting is fantastic, the score is fantastic, and the game-play is fantastic although I seem to run out of ammo fast. : D

+ Kenshin001 on November 9th, 2007 at 11:25 pm said:

Big thanks to Christophe and Sam for getting on to this right away, much appreciated. Really looking forward to playing the demo and the whole game.

+ saunderswan on November 9th, 2007 at 11:29 pm said:

wow that is really good i like the movement of drake during fight scenes its so flouent now i can see all the moaning was worth it

THX AGAIN Naughty Dog

i feel bad about some of us europeans goin so crazy but we just want great games everyone who bought a PS3 at launch is a diehard gamer and we know PS3 is the beasting machine or we would have bought the other.

SONY lets us down so much and causes us ALL to go abit crazy at times only because it happens so much.

i dont apologise for my behaviour or words i have said i have no reason to there is nothing i said i regret

i do however THANK N.D and SAM for fixing this so quick you guys rock

Now thanks to AMERICANS for makeing it harder for N.D & SAM to see the real complaints from you all MOANING at US for DOING SOMETHING YOU ALL HAVE DONE!

i do apologise to the AMERICANS that were standing up for us EUROPEANS tho at least you all see the color print not just BLACK & WHITE

PS3 UNITED NOT DEVIDED

Peace

Game On

+ Polyphony NL on November 9th, 2007 at 11:35 pm said:

First of all ND thank you for fixing it. Second of all I know the anticipating is huge but some people made it seem that the world was collapsing because it didnt work outside US.

I am really glad I pre-ordered this game months ago. I have one question tough will there be a collectors edition Noughty Dog?

Thank you for delivering such a work of art!!!

+ WHAT on November 9th, 2007 at 11:40 pm said:

Wow this did not effect me at all, but I support the way it was handled. Now that’s customer service. Now did they post this news on the tickers on the other side of the world? I feel bad for anyone that has to wait.

+ Bierbeer on November 9th, 2007 at 11:43 pm said:

Good to hear that it wasnt intentionally planned to lock the game guys! If it was this would be a very bad decision.

The one thing i can’t understand is, after completing the demo you need to send it to Sony for testing i understood. Why doesn’t Sony test it on all the different region consoles, it isnt that they need to test it here physically in the EU (demo worked on US consoles in the EU). I guess Sony doesn’t have clear rules for content on the Store :)

Downloading it now! Thank you!

+ LocoKing on November 9th, 2007 at 11:59 pm said:

Thanks to sam also.

i hope those angry users apology for sam and nd.

+ ct-dragon on November 10th, 2007 at 12:03 am said:

thanx guys you rock !!!

love this blog so we can give our opinions and that we can interact with you all.

thanx for the quick reaction and solution it’s really great, that you did it, even when some(well most actually) europeans were talking trash. we could have reacted more normally, angry but respectful. it’s too bad that the first english word people learn in their land is the f-word..

and to the us members, what do you have against the europeans, we just want to enjoy the games as you’ll do. we’re all ps3 owners and should stick together to have good things happen like this demo.

naughty dog and sony YOU ROCK!!!!!

+ Arakasi on November 10th, 2007 at 12:06 am said:

Registered just to say thank you.

It’s good to see that there are still some people in this industry who still care enough about the consumer to go well above and beyond what is required of them.

Drake’s Fortune looks to be a brilliantly-produced induction into the world of Uncharted and hopefully any subsequent games that follow it will also have our beloved protagonist Nathan in the lead, and not ‘someone else’s story.’ :) :)

I, for one will be telling EVERYONE how awesome this game is.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the effort and hard work.

+ kber81 on November 10th, 2007 at 12:08 am said:

Thanks guys ! Nice to know you care ! Respect. Downloading right now !

+ twobells on November 10th, 2007 at 12:26 am said:

THANK-YOU SO MUCH.

Please, everyone at ND and Sam, a BIG thank-you for your efforts and it could teach MS a thing or two about support.

+ ct-dragon on November 10th, 2007 at 12:28 am said:

yes yes beautifull awesome unbelievable!!!!!
awesome game good work

+ lordvampir on November 10th, 2007 at 12:30 am said:

From all japanese people:
theres no gonna be a launch strike on pearl harbor and also theres no going to be any attack to the naughty dog company.You guys can rest safe.
Arigato.

+ uwv on November 10th, 2007 at 12:36 am said:

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

I’m still in bed…the first thing I did when I opened my eyes was check the net for news about this demo. I was thinking…”what a loser, what a fool, you actually still hope they listened and that some manager/lawyer/PR out there really cares? Get a life!”

What a surprise! Thanx again. I’m sure to buy this game as soon as it comes out, even if I didn’t like the demo (which is unlikely).

I did have a nightmare though…me, going into a store, looking at that X360 on the shelves, thinking…

+ boingball on November 10th, 2007 at 12:51 am said:

Well, thank you, but to late for me. I now have packed in my PS3 after the disappointing Friday. No Uncharted Demo for PAL Users (I downloaded the demo at 7pm GMT in the hope that maybe it was fixed, but it was not, now I read that it was fixed but later…) and no R&C for Germany (its out elsewhere in Europe finally but in Germany it will come next week). So I finished playing my PS3 for the next 2 years, and I own only three PSN games, no disc games… Overall the PS3 so far is a huge disappointement and I can understand why Sony is only third and probably will stay in 3rd place and sell off their console business to Microsoft (Nintendo is probably not interested, but MS needs to strenghten their SW division).

+ Dew87 on November 10th, 2007 at 12:54 am said:

Thanks Christopher, we really appreaciate your effort and understand that it was a mistake. I must apologise on behalf of fellow European gamers who might have overreacted to this incident. However, it also showed me the true side of our fellow North American gamers. That they only care about themselves and feel only they deserve to enjoy everything before anyone else.

Anyway, thanks for the demo, I love it. I’ve played previous builds too and you guys have done a great job. Can’t wait to play the full game. :)

+ twobells on November 10th, 2007 at 12:58 am said:

Guys, stop downloading the demo so I can get better speeds..PLEASE?

;-)

tb

+ NAZAR on November 10th, 2007 at 1:08 am said:

Christophe, thank you.

+ Herlock on November 10th, 2007 at 1:09 am said:

Thanks guys !!!

+ chanskie on November 10th, 2007 at 1:16 am said:

Thank you guys. Much appreciated

+ El-Suave on November 10th, 2007 at 1:24 am said:

Thanks a lot. Awesome customer service!

I already thought the locking was an oversight when I discoverd the game came fully localized (with a great German dub) after playing in English as usual.

+ dimocomix on November 10th, 2007 at 1:29 am said:

I was quick to complain…now I’m quick to praise….

Kudos ND, you’ve made my day!!

+ THE EYE on November 10th, 2007 at 1:40 am said:

Thank you very much !!! It would be nice if more game companys would listen to us gamers…

+ AuRoN on November 10th, 2007 at 1:43 am said:

i cannot see the “Blood” in the demo. My PS3 is NTSC JAP…. this game have the same censor of RFOM? Hope no….

+ park3r on November 10th, 2007 at 2:00 am said:

Much respect and thanks for such a quick response. Just goes to show that this kind of communication source really works.

+ cr8ck3r5 on November 10th, 2007 at 2:14 am said:

A huge thank you for Naughty Dog and Sony! When mistakes happen it’s how people sort them out that matters and Naughty Dog and Sony did great! Downloading now, can’t wait to see what a fantastic game you have made for us!

+ AuRoN on November 10th, 2007 at 2:21 am said:

ok… the game automatically disable blood on NTSC JAP Console… but WHY???????????????? -___-

+ Withnail on November 10th, 2007 at 2:29 am said:

That’s amazing, thanks Naughty Dog and thanks Sony.

+ Randagio on November 10th, 2007 at 2:29 am said:

Thanks, a big surprise !!!!

But for the occidental Psn, why not to do a unified store?! ;-)

+ Maxinux on November 10th, 2007 at 2:37 am said:

Yesterday I posted here that I canceled my Uncharted order, but I just to inform you guys that after the great work you did I just ordered and fully paid for two copies of Uncharted :D the second copy will be a Christmas present to my brother :D thank you for such a great game.

+ Tribal on November 10th, 2007 at 2:52 am said:

Great,
many thanks….
This is how support shut be :)

+ konrad on November 10th, 2007 at 3:12 am said:

Just played the demo. Thanks for fixing it so quickly. Great demo, best looking game on consoles.

+ besin on November 10th, 2007 at 3:13 am said:

Thank you so very much for this great news…

Sony and ND don’t let their fans down…

This is a great PR turnaround and a sentiment that wins over the core user…

I cannot wait to play the game!!!

+ franky on November 10th, 2007 at 3:17 am said:

rawr fantastic, thanks!

it’s a dread shame SCEE doesn’t communicate at all with it customors. the euro ‘blog’ is horrible with no feedback at all.

but thanks! can’t wait to play it.

+ bnz on November 10th, 2007 at 3:18 am said:

Thank you so much for this quick reaction. I honestly didn’t anticipate an update to solve the heat and this reaction by ND cannot be valued highly enough.

I simply hope that this incident will reach the responsible guys at PSN and open their eyes that separate stores are utter crap.

+ Nodial on November 10th, 2007 at 3:27 am said:

Thank you very much both Sam and Christophe, i didn’t expected this to come, you’re really kindly and professional!

+ saionji1229 on November 10th, 2007 at 3:29 am said:

I just played the demo last night and I was amazed! Great graphics and fun gameplay. I can’t wait to get this one when it comes out. Great job Sony and Naughty Dog! Keep it up guys!!

+ linton on November 10th, 2007 at 3:45 am said:

Respect and thanks, and more respect and more thanks and whoop whoop whoop and a hoo yaa and wow what a demo and yay for naughty dog and sony and more praise but im off to play it some more!

+ kar on November 10th, 2007 at 3:51 am said:

Just registered to leave my sincere thanks for the massively positive response from sony and naughty dog on this. Yes, we know we in reality we ought not to be downloading things from the us store and expect them to work on our european/japan consoles, but speaking for myself this is the first game for ps3 I’ve been totally psyched for!

Bearing in mind how busy you are, how unexpected this problem was, and how speedily and positively it was resolved I can only express my respect and thanks.

Going the extra mile, being up-front, direct and then responding positively is a great way to treat your customers. I can say (now having played the amazing demo) I will be buying this game – without question.

I think many feel the same. It is the expectation and passion to play this title that probably caused all the angst amongst us PAL people when we realised the US demo didn’t work.

That can only bode well for the game at retail.

Thanks again,
Aaron.

+ SinsToJudge on November 10th, 2007 at 3:51 am said:

What an amazing demo! Cannot wait for the full game.

Great jobs guys, hope you are all proud of what you’ve achieved :)

+ fizan on November 10th, 2007 at 3:55 am said:

I am actually impressed… its nice to see this blog functioning the way its meant to… great work NaughtyDog & SCEA! Now I am gonna shut my PC down for the next 4 hours… gotta allocate every last bit of my bandwidth to download the demo. ;)

+ bnz on November 10th, 2007 at 4:07 am said:

Yea…played the demo as well now. Beautiful visuals and great gameplay. I just thought the animation was maybe not as smooth as you tried to sell it to us, but still very good. I just couldn’t help, but smile when that guy got wet after placing him under the waterfall :-) I think you’ve got a winner here.

+ EViD on November 10th, 2007 at 4:24 am said:

you guys are AWESOME

+ djwaves on November 10th, 2007 at 4:28 am said:

just downloading now for the 3rd time, 1st time didnt know what was wrong so i downloaded it again and it was still the same then read on the forums about the demo lock was a bit mad but iam used to it being in the uk…so hopefully it will work now , i still think its a plot to generate more hype and then more sales of this game and as for not knowing you can connect to other psn stores thats proberly true if you are in the usa beacuse they get everything first so why would you need to

+ JamesH on November 10th, 2007 at 4:32 am said:

omg i didnt expect them to fix it :O i jsut expected them to let the europe psn release it wowow this is soo good thank you!!

+ JPan on November 10th, 2007 at 4:34 am said:

Good to know that it wasn’t done on purpose and thanks for resolving the issue. And on behalf of all Europeans sorry for the hysterical remarks of yesterday.

SONY: You need a global PSN store the european ones are sad empty affairs. We want to give you money. Let us do so.

+ Rogerjak on November 10th, 2007 at 4:45 am said:

@159
I agree.

Once again thank you ND, for solving this problem lightning speed!! More companies should be like you guys, actually listening to people!!

Now, take a vacation, go to some place warm, just relax, so you guys can be at full power for the next project (hopefully a Jak game :P)

Kudos to you guys, and I hope we get a lot more games from you this gen!