PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Demo Back on the World Map

Christophe Balestra's Avatar + Posted by Christophe Balestra on Nov 09, 2007 // Co-President Naughty Dog

Like UNCHARTED

Christophe Balestra, here, and I’m Co-President at Naughty Dog. I wanted to give a final update on the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo situation.

We’re really sorry about what happened and didn’t anticipate this at all. We just didn’t know people from other territories could connect to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store and download demos … now we do! We’ve been too busy working on the game to wrap our head’s around the infrastructure of the PSN.

We absolutely did not plan the demo to be region locked. As soon as we figured out the problem existed, Sam Thompson called me and I jumped into my car, drove to the office and fixed it right away. It’s an honest mistake and we didn’t try to prevent anybody from enjoying the Uncharted demo. I feel even more sorry because most of the people who experienced the problem are in Europe and I’m European myself.

So again, we’re really sorry about what happened and it wasn’t done on purpose. The good news is it’s now fixed and a new demo of Uncharted has been posted to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store so the entire world can enjoy it.

Thanks to Sam for taking the heat yesterday and for letting us know about the issue.

262 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ Richmond on November 11th, 2007 at 6:08 am said:

I bet the guy who said he sold his PS3 (comment #237 on the old thread about the demo being region locked) because of this feels really good right now. That’s what you get for being a moron though, I guess xD

Great job Sony/Naughty Dog, but even if you hadn’t of fixed this problem, it really wouldn’t have mattered a great deal to me. But awesome work nonetheless to get it fixed so quickly. I shall now go and download the demo, and give your awesome game a spin. :D

+ gamesblow on November 11th, 2007 at 6:38 am said:

I’ve lsot track of how many times I’ve played the demo now. I cannot wait to pick this one up from my work. I buying 2 more copies as birthday gifts the same day too. I love Naughtydog releases!

+ LocoKing on November 11th, 2007 at 6:43 am said:

hehe i just finished playing the demo on my euro PS3.. Amazing game, AI was ruthless.. I liked it alot. :D

+ crazyeighty8 on November 11th, 2007 at 7:17 am said:

The demo was suppose to give everyon e a taste of the game. If you want the full story you have to buy the full game. when drake jumps he kicks his legs to get more distance (#192). This means he can bypass some ledges and grab another further away, when this happens instead of grabbing the ledge with both hands he hangs on with the fingettips of one hand (very cool). he still manages to haul himself up.

+ sammyk on November 11th, 2007 at 7:28 am said:

thank you!

+ Richmond on November 11th, 2007 at 7:35 am said:

Just finished downloading/playing the demo. The visuals on this game are absolutely stunning. I guess it’s pretty commonplace now to expect things like this, but going into the water and having your character come out like a real person would after being in water… is still so damn impressive to me. The voice acting is also brilliant (whoever they hired to play Nathan should be given a medal, the guy makes the character seem real and human). The lip synching too, just as good as the voice acting. In my opinion, voice acting means little if it’s clear the characters aren’t saying the words (these days at least. people are getting more fussy by the year :P). But yeah, lip synching in this console era, is just as important as the actual voice work, and they’ve nailed it perfectly. The combat and movement too, two things I was a little apprehensive about, is absolutely perfect for this type of game.

In summary: Intelligent AI, intuitive control scheme, great visuals and voice acting, and great movement animations and combat, means we have a winner here people. And this is only the DEMO!

I have to admit, I wasn’t that excited for this game when I first heard about it, but after playing this demo, this game is now well and truly on my “To Get” list. Great job Naughty Dog!

+ Nephlabobo on November 11th, 2007 at 8:24 am said:

“We just didn’t know people from other territories could connect to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store and download demos”

Rubbish. All I have to say is…about bloody time.

+ Richmond on November 11th, 2007 at 9:32 am said:

@226

It’s called damage control, and it’s to be expected after something like this. At the end of the day though, they made a mistake, then they fixed it, and then you and I got our demo. They could easily have said the same exact thing, but NOT fixed the problem, so don’t be taking that “about bloody time” attitude with them. They did everything right after the initial blunder, so your closing comment should be something like “Thank you for fixing this problem, I’m very grateful that you were able to”, like everyone else.

+ Nephlabobo on November 11th, 2007 at 10:07 am said:

@228

I’ll take whatever attitude I like.
Considering their first response to pissed off gamers was “You’ll have it on the 22nd”, I’ll take whatever attitude I like.

This whole issue should never have happened in the first place.

+ Demon on November 11th, 2007 at 10:10 am said:

I definitely buying this game. Actually, I’m going to pre-order it right now!

Naughty Dog kicks ass.

+ Deman on November 11th, 2007 at 10:47 am said:

@230 Good idea i agree I will race oyu lets see who preorders it first

+ Deman on November 11th, 2007 at 10:48 am said:

LOL

+ willywhisky on November 11th, 2007 at 11:59 am said:

The demo just convinced me to buy this game.

I want to play more.

I can’t wait for this to get released.

It’s almost mean that we have to wait after such a great demo.

+ Kenshin001 on November 11th, 2007 at 12:47 pm said:

After reading the comments in this thread I wonder if Sony should re-evaluate its regional store system. Wouldn’t it be better to have one unified store, but with regional subsections? Would make things a hell of a lot easier for Playstation users. I mean how many PS3 users must have multiple accounts to be downloading this demo from the US store?

+ Kraken on November 11th, 2007 at 1:27 pm said:

Thank you so much.

I live in Norway. I dl’ed the demo.

It’s awesome! I will buy this game, no doubt. Good job ND! Love ya!

+ crazyeighty8 on November 11th, 2007 at 1:46 pm said:

The dust has settled, everybody who knew about the download has probally got it by now. I think all the initail fuss was worth it, and im sure sony and its fans (playstation gamers) know a little bit more about each other. The thing is and what we dont want or need is some sort of divide in the playstation gaming community it should be one. We get enough critics from xbot owners. Initailly a lot of ppl who had the demo were happy some could not- you know who you are. After a rash of comments more americans agreed it was unfair and probally helped getting things sorted. No more of the SCEA, SCEE crap please.

+ Viper7 on November 11th, 2007 at 2:31 pm said:

Nice one naughtydog. Thanks for sorting this out. The demo was great and I have been looking foward the game from the moment it was annouced (love jak and old crash bandicoots, so cant miss NaughtyDog Projects :P)

I was suprised to see that the game was actualy translated to Finnish and quite well too. So what ever the finalizing of vocalization was it wouldnt have affected my game impressions.

So Does this mean that Europeans/Etc are now officialy aproved to Download the demos from other continents store?

Ppl mostly DL demos and trailers only anyways since DLC doesnt work on pal versions usualy. And this would also be great for ppl that import their games from US.

+ flubba on November 11th, 2007 at 2:51 pm said:

Just wanna say thanks for the fix and the great demo (and hopefully the whole game). This is probably the first time I’ve feelt like I’m playing a real PS3 game, HeavenlySword came close but it was lacking in a lot of areas. Uncharted on the other hand seems like it’s going to be the game that really shows how the PS3 should be handled =)

+ GibbShift on November 11th, 2007 at 2:58 pm said:

Wow, this is the greatest PSN Demo ever. I hereby nominate it for DOTY (Demo of the Year). Any objections?

SixaxiS grenade tossing in this game is the most awesome thing ever. It took some getting used to, but I’ve gone from over/under throwing them, to dropping them right in front of enemy. My best one so far was a nade throw between two enemies that set off an explosive barrel that ended up taking them both out. AWESOME.

+ Cameron on November 11th, 2007 at 4:58 pm said:

Wow, nice turn around. +’s all round.

+ NAMEK on November 11th, 2007 at 5:29 pm said:

This is great news! Can’t wait for the game to arrive.

+ Nephlabobo on November 11th, 2007 at 7:32 pm said:

It’s about $170 and it’s a three hour trip, going one way. Not too bad.

+ Xoonaka on November 11th, 2007 at 9:56 pm said:

In regards to the demo in general…

There was a ton of shooting, a little platforming, and hardly any exploration, puzzle solving, or even treasure finding.

So, what kind of breakdown can we expect for the final game? I really don’t want to buy a shooter, but if the demo isn’t really indicative of the actual variety in gameplay, I might be willing to give it a shot.

Right now it seems like 80% shooter, 20% platformer.

I would hope it’s more like 30% Shooter, 30% Puzzles, 30% Platformer, and maybe 10% interactive cutscenes or some other game type you’re hiding from us.

…I guess I’m the only one not tired of interactive cutscenes yet, huh?

Anyway, lemme know if you can. Thanks guys! Really polished, even if it does turn out to primarily be a shooter!

+ Fantatier on November 12th, 2007 at 12:20 am said:

brilliant, i love the demo!

+ notpill on November 12th, 2007 at 12:38 am said:

Thank you so much!

+ tails-4 on November 12th, 2007 at 1:15 am said:

thanks
i already wasted 1.2gb of my limit.
i hope i downloaded the good one now, or else thats 2.4gb ive wasted

thanks again

+ amras_telemnar on November 12th, 2007 at 2:26 am said:

This demo was a lot better than I initially thought.

The only thing that draws it down a bit, is the camera. At the end of the demo, when you’re supposed to jump over the columns, the camera angle changes. This in turn makes me jump down instead of over. But it’s just nitpicking.

+ LordOfRuin on November 12th, 2007 at 5:46 am said:

Hiya, great looking demo. Two things that may or may not be worthy to you. Firstly, are the game controller options going to be expanded for the full release? I ask because I’m a lefty when it comes to my mushroom sticks. I’d hate to think that you’d put in all this work, but didn’t allow the option to flip the sticks over for us weirdo’s who like it that way. I’ve tried learning the sticks the “wrong” way, but can’t.

Secondly, anyway to have an alternative camera behaviour that would fix it, or float it behind me, unless I deliberately turn it? I realise that I can pop the R3 button sometimes, but it doesn’t work consistently, and, as above, moving with the right mushroom isn’t intuitive.

Other than that, it’s lovely looking. Though I can’t finish your demo cos I get flustered with many enemies, and without lefty controls I end up doing flid maneouvers. (I got angry at one point and broke my mug of tea, that was when I stopped trying to play it). Oh I do hope you give the lefty option, cos I wont be buying it otherwise.

+ DarkUSS on November 12th, 2007 at 6:19 am said:

@ CHRISTOPHE

I have pre-ordered the US version of Uncharted hoping that it will be region-free and it will work fine with my PAL PS3.

Please let us know if that’s the case. Thanks!

+ awheaten on November 12th, 2007 at 6:55 am said:

This game is really good. Too bad it is going to get bad press because of IGN and gamespot. Those 2 sites has no love for the PS3, or Sony in general. It is just going to be us that PS3 faithful that is going to enjoy this game.

On a better note, this game is really good.

+ awheaten on November 12th, 2007 at 6:56 am said:

This game is really good. Too bad it is going to get bad press because of IGN and gamespot. Those 2 sites has no love for the PS3, or Sony in general. It is just going to be us, the PS3 faithful, that is going to enjoy this game.

On a better note, this game is really good.

+ mbstyle on November 12th, 2007 at 7:17 am said:

this game ist very very nice! i think the best game of the year 2007!!! i cant wait!!! and thanks for play this very nice demo! UNCHARTED4EVER

+ zapruder on November 12th, 2007 at 8:13 am said:

Great demo.. but.. the sound on the dutch version was bad, it sounds like a really low mp3 conversion, hope that it’s fixed in the final version.

+ speedis on November 12th, 2007 at 9:48 am said:

zapruder: I’m sure it will be fixed for the EUROPEAN demo version of this game. Remember you’re playing a demo intended for USA, which means you can’t expect European functions to be 100%.

+ fizan on November 12th, 2007 at 1:28 pm said:

Thanks for the version 2.0 of the demo… people should check out this blog before downloading stuff, I did and it helped me avoid the dreaded v 1.00 which only works on NA systems.

Anyway, loved the demo.. the amount of detail is breathtaking. Even my mom is into it. I really hope you guys fixed the framerate issues in the final product. Then it would totally kick ass.

+ wallhugger on November 12th, 2007 at 4:48 pm said:

I actually let out a shriek when I read this.

ND loads of love and kudos from Belgium

+ HESA1 on November 13th, 2007 at 3:32 am said:

I’m sorry if I don’t get this,but how I reach US Playstation store through my Playstation if I live in Europe. When I go in into The Playstation store it’s European and there is no Uncharted Demo out on it. How do i reach US Playstation store?????????

+ SinsToJudge on November 13th, 2007 at 4:50 am said:

Hesa, I can’t go into details here, because there is just too much to type up.

Just do a google search and you’ll find instructions easy enough :)

+ bieluk on November 13th, 2007 at 6:24 am said:

Thanks a lot. This game is incredible :)

+ Dominican21 on November 13th, 2007 at 9:23 am said:

I am buying this game for sure!

PAGE 1 3 4 5