PS4 - Transistor

Video of New Research Conducted with PlayStation Eye

Richard Marks's Avatar + Posted by Richard Marks on Nov 14, 2007 // Senior Researcher, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Most of you probably already know about the launch of the PlayStation Eye, and hopefully you’re as excited as we are here in PlayStation R&D. By the time products launch, our contribution is usually long past, but this time we wanted to join the fun. So we thought we’d give you an exclusive first glimpse at some of our new research that uses PS Eye.

We grabbed our lab camcorder and filmed some tech demos created by newcomer Anton Mikhailov (he’s the guy playing games in the videos). Anton has been using PS Eye to let users add their own content into games. So far, he’s focused on simple, familiar games (like lunar lander and tank battle) that he can code for PS3 in a day or so. These games are pretty old school, but they become amazingly fun again when you get to add your own content. And when the PS3 adds physics to your content, things become even more fun! (why does everyone keep mentioning Little Big Planet?)

Check out the videos. We filmed them without cuts so you could see how easy it is to add your own content.

Note that these are tech demos, not products. We just wanted to let you see one of our crazy ideas of how the PS Eye might be used in the future. Anton or I will be answering questions, so let us know what you think!

335 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7

+ dfr3sh on November 14th, 2007 at 5:14 pm said:

yo I check out this site everyday on PS3 and I can’t see the videos but the technology you guys r working with is great keep it up

+ dfr3sh on November 14th, 2007 at 5:15 pm said:

yo I check out this site everyday on my PS3 and I can’t see the videos but the technology you guys r working with is great keep it up

+ Lp47 on November 14th, 2007 at 5:15 pm said:

cool tech demos. I had no idea the ps eye was cable of doing that kind of stuff, i hope we see some content soon.

+ afrosheen on November 14th, 2007 at 5:15 pm said:

Cool, I hope some more PS Eye games get released soon including your little tech demos. Why not release them for free on the PSN?

Beats waiting OVER 4 WEEKS for PS Eye games that got released in Europe.

+ OmniCloud on November 14th, 2007 at 5:26 pm said:

Just put these on the store for a few dollars and I’d buy one or two of them…it’s really unique and fun stuff like this that makes a community. just flesh it out more and add more recognition for the objects that get scanned. It will easily be one of the most downloaded games on PSN…

Customization customization customization–this is what will make PS3 stand out from other consoles.

Keep going with these things guys–someone is bound to make a hit!!!

+ rexor0717 on November 14th, 2007 at 5:26 pm said:

It would be awesome to make a fighting game. You could draw out all your characters and stuff, make their moves and then have way to set moves with certain buttons. Then you have a quick game. That would be fun. OR something like a 2D platformer. Draw your level and little character. Like an simpler LBP.

+ ghamdikh1 on November 14th, 2007 at 5:30 pm said:

yo Richard Marks is there any passablete to add our self’s by using PlayStation Eye in the games to be like characters in anRPG game for simple.

+ OrganicShadow on November 14th, 2007 at 5:43 pm said:

Another last question:

-You said you are going to be researching gestures etc, and that the CELL and Eye quality help a lot, but will you guys be revisiting old games and/or game ideas and taking advantage of the improvements?

For example: Kinetica was awesome, except the fact that in order to get properly ‘framed’ in the game you had to be pretty far back, which is hard in most living rooms and apartments. The camera also though that every little speck from the video feed was me moving, when in fact it was not. The vents on my wall in my apartment, the shadow of a coke can, a penny on the carpet- anything that was slightly darker than everything else on the screen was picked up as a moving object.

Will nuisances like these be resolved in future games due to the Eye quality? Reviews of EoJ cite difficulties with lighting akin to the EyeToy, and problems getting cards to read under typical lighting circumstances.

Users shouldn’t be forced to get professional, or even ‘white’ lighting in their homes, nor should they need a big white backdrop or anything in order to play these games properly. So I hope you guys will be coming up with better ways of getting the Eye and software to recognize players and such, as well as doing thorough testing with different types of lighting and room situations, instead of just a blank white room.

Thanks for this update again though!

+ Xirtam on November 14th, 2007 at 5:43 pm said:

Amazing. I too would love to see a bunch of these mini-games bundled and sold either through disc or, preferably, the PSN Store. A limited SDK would rock our worlds, for sure. Get that out and I will most likely buy that Eye!

+ Nymo on November 14th, 2007 at 5:49 pm said:

I kinda had an idea like this for a while.
Glad somebody out there realized it! hah…

I just hope other developers out there will pick up the EYE possibilities and make something out of it as well!

if not, well, I hope someone within Sony gets us some simple-fun on the PSN!

Keep up the cool research and development!

(ps: developed anything new with the 4-microphone-array system that’s on the ps eye yet? i’d love to see something really interesting work with that…)

+ Zeo Vegon on November 14th, 2007 at 6:17 pm said:

I NEED ONE PSYey NOW!!!!

+ Picasso on November 14th, 2007 at 6:21 pm said:

Well I guess I was thinking on to much of a grand scale.
i was thinking Eye of Judgment meets RPG’s and FPS’s + pop in a SCEA character completely change a game short mini games like that.

+ saunderswan on November 14th, 2007 at 6:31 pm said:

Thx for the info Richard i did hope that with the EYETOY on PS2 that we would see games with movement tracking but it never happend well not in the FPS type anyway i do hope some developers get round to it this time since the tech and computation power is there i look forward to seeing how all this pans out in the future THX again for the inside info :D

Richard Marks's Avatar

+ Richard Marks on November 14th, 2007 at 6:37 pm said:

@ghamdikh1: We did some related work many moons ago. I like RPGs a lot myself, and we made a couple demos called “Medieval Chamber” and “Magic Spells”. I still hope something along these lines will make its way into a game.

Medieval Chamber let you move a brightly colored hand-held object in 3D, and the movement was echoed by an on-screen sword or torch or flail. Magic Spells let you use a colored wand to cast spells by drawing the spell shape in the air in front of you.

Video of these demos can be found at:

(go to minute 24:00 for Medieval Chamber and minute 35:00 for Magic Spells)

+ Mort on November 14th, 2007 at 6:43 pm said:

Sony, count me in. This is exactly the sort of thing you should be looking at doing with the technology. If the Tech guys can come up with something this cool in just a day, I can’t even begin to imagine the possibilities.

I can imagine some kind of interaction with the eye toy, voice recognition and the sixaxis controller……… Total immersion in the gaming world.

I also have to comment on how fickle we gamers can be at times. Last week, when 2.0 came out there was nothing short of vitriol on the boards. People were so disappointed that it didn’t do what they wanted and there were a lot of immature reactions. Personally, I think that 2.0 is great. I love remote play and I love the expanded customization possibilities. Here we are in a new week, and rightly so, everyone is stoked at how cool this tech demo is.

We gamers just have to be patient. Sony will come good with games and with the features we want. Their problem is that they can be so inconsistent with their message at times. 2.0 was mishandled so badly, that it is not surprising people were disappointed. Here we have the other face of Sony – the one we all want to see, and deep deep down, the one we love.

+ bAss_ackwards on November 14th, 2007 at 6:44 pm said:

You guys are onto something big here! Seeing this stuff is so freakin’ exciting!

+ saunderswan on November 14th, 2007 at 7:31 pm said:

hahaha thats so funny i keep watchin that last video it cracks me up :D

+ Jocaju on November 14th, 2007 at 7:36 pm said:

To this day I was trying to understand how the PS eye read those cards in the eye of judgment and now seeing this, I’m speechless. Bravo

+ Fabi on November 14th, 2007 at 7:42 pm said:

Holy moses. Wow, I really hope something comes from this. Simply awesome. Anyone think the Smash Bros Brawl level creation aspect of the game came to be because of Little Big Planet? And that’s the reason it got delayed?

+ KnaveX on November 14th, 2007 at 7:58 pm said:

Saw the vid you linked to, real nice stuff, one thing that would really kill would be a fps that read your hand signals, such as you pulling a trigger, or giving a melee attack. Speaking of, a first person boxing game would be awesome, and with the ps eye, it would be much more accurate than that other first person boxing game on that other game console. Keep up the good work guys, you guys are full of talent.

Richard Marks's Avatar

+ Anton Mikhailov on November 14th, 2007 at 8:05 pm said:

@sixthsense: Whats picked up is represented in vector form with a texture, so technically you can just render the vector outlines without drawing the texture on top. In fact, you can fill and color it in any stylized way you want, ignoring the real world image all together and keeping only the abstract vector data. You can of course do a hybrid like in the tanks demo, and stylize a vector drawing based on the image you pick up.

Come to think of it that would probably make my tank drawing look quite a bit nicer :)

+ -Nick on November 14th, 2007 at 8:13 pm said:

This is awesome stuff you guys are doing!

Heres an idea for you guys to think about…

You gotta try to do something with music like “everyday shooter” but with the PSeye. Im sure you guys can think of something!

Music + PSEye = Awesome

+ TheTwelve on November 14th, 2007 at 8:16 pm said:

Just want to say: this looks almost too good to be true. It’s like science fiction made non-fiction. I mean, you’re doing stuff that is supposed to be NOT POSSIBLE. I’m so happy with my PS3 purchase…more and more since day one back in January. I’m still waiting to see when the potential for this system reaches its peak.

Keep it up guys—patch this technology up and ship it out: we’ll be waiting eagerly.—-12

+ frito on November 14th, 2007 at 8:30 pm said:

Hi!

I am totally stoked for any new uses for my new Eye!

This tech looks so interesting- I see great things in the future for the Eye!

My girlfriend and I have been playing Eye of Judgement nonstop since we got it- and have had a ball making movies with Eyecreate-

BUT I HAVE ONE QUESTION!

I am trying to make stop motion animation with my snapshots in Eyecreate, like you guys demoed here in the blog (of some kids racing through the office)-

Is there a way to decrease the default 2 second time designation for snapshots when placed into the Eyecreate timeline? Because 2 seconds make the animation of course very slow and choppy, you have to manually snip each clip and delete the excess for EVERY snapshot, it is very frustrating!

Thanks for any help!

I hope you have a movie making contest with our Eyecreate software!!

{And if you guys could fix the echo in voice chat that would be great too!}

thanks!

+ RichieWo on November 14th, 2007 at 8:32 pm said:

Just today, I came up with a brainstorm idea at my office. I discussed, with the Senior VP of our corporation about having each of five division offices purchasing a PS3 and a PlaystationEye to conduct conference calling. Along with an HDTV we would be able to simply and easily have video conference calls with all senior staff in attendance.

Keep up the great research at Sony and start flexing the true muscle and innovation of the PS3 that us true Playstation Fans know is in the beautiful black console.

+ Clinton514 on November 14th, 2007 at 8:38 pm said:

*gasp* That’s so simple yet mind blowing. I cannot wait to see the future of the PS Eye.

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of software with the Eye Toy on the PS2, so I hope you guys keep at it and bring us some great software to work with. :)

Good job!

+ RichieWo on November 14th, 2007 at 8:38 pm said:

By the way, the Senior VP liked the idea and wants to run a test between two offices to see how it works. Sony, that would be another six decks sold in the U.S.

Well…gotta go play “The Darkness” cause Uncharted is coming out on Friday and I already bought Assasin’s Creed…have to fit that in somewhere….then there’s Ratchet and Clank….ummmm, seems like too many games and not enough time!Why are people complaining about a shortage of titles for the PS3.

+ Cameron on November 14th, 2007 at 8:42 pm said:

Very impressive.

Do you guys ever release research papers to the public?

I’ve done similar real time image processing for large installations before not quite to that level. It’d be great if Sony allowed you to share some of your findings from this kind of work.

+ Jeff Chen on November 14th, 2007 at 8:45 pm said:

lol this is soooo cool. M

aybe you guys can gather up a bunch of different games in such genre and release a PSN download title for the PS Eye to catch up with this Xmas ;)

I wonder if you can make a digital-pet game, that lets you scan your own drawings and make it live and sound like a creature on the screen… maybe serve as a screensaver when PS3 stays idle for a while. That would be interesting as well!

+ crazypenguin on November 14th, 2007 at 8:51 pm said:

you all rule! but in order for these little soldiers and and tanks to work they have to be on a blank piece of paper, right? are any of the things implemented here possible to make to the playstation store soon?

+ chase on November 14th, 2007 at 8:53 pm said:

this looks great

+ Synthesize on November 14th, 2007 at 9:39 pm said:

This looks very impressive! Nice work.

I really enjoy checking out these blogs, keep them coming!

+ Kedaro on November 14th, 2007 at 9:43 pm said:

I just wanted to take some time out of my usual daily grind, to drop by and see if there was any newly presented threads based on the ps3eye, because I have a lot to say about it, things I didn’t expect to hear myself saying about it, Initially my response to the new eye pre-purchase, was somewhat skeptical, as I bought the ps2 eyetoy years ago, and the support/fun factor died quickly, and also I was generally not that excited for ‘Eye of Judgement, it struck me as something I just wouldn’t really enjoy…

BOY WAS I WRONG!, on soooo many levels it’s not even funny… and in this industry it’s rare to see ‘me’ saying I’m wrong, so you gotta’ know for a fact that what I’m saying is of significance to me, and probably other people similar to me. here’s a little story about how it went down.

My kids, and Wife and I were out shopping for groceries and whatnot, and of course I was going to buy the ps3eye, because Sony provided us with the EyeCreate software free of charge, and I kinda’ was interested in the whole Stop motion thing for my artwork, and for the kids to have fun with, but upon finding it, we were presented with the choice of buying the ps3eye by itself, or the Eye of Judgement Game including the ps3Eye, and a stand/game board(cloth mat), and my wife who has recently been losing interest in games lately, decided it would make more sense to get the full package deal, which is unlike her, I was willing to settle for the eye alone, which was unlike me, I had literally little/no interest in a card based ps3eye game, but when the Woman does ‘thumbs up’ I’m not going to argue.
So we got home, and we made dinner, ate, watched a family movie or two, put the kids to bed, and broke out the game+eye, while Instructional videos included in the game’s menus seemed a little confusing at first, after about 5mins or so, we had ‘somehow’ picked up the general idea of how the easygoing but complex game is played, and started playing it, and haven’t stopped, This game is awesome, it raises the bar on so many different levels, it raises the cam based videogame bar tenfold, it raises the bar on traditional collectors card based games, and introduces an excellent competitive edge by including the PSN online play. I have never been more pleasantly suprised by a game since … since, well I can’t remember as the only thing that is on my mind atm, is going back to play the game some more, and I’ve barely even gotten into the ‘reason’ I wanted the eye… (in short) The EyeCreate software is amazingly entertaining, and the files can easily be swapped to a pc for that ‘professional’ touch, heck you could even do 2d cell animations on paper, with eyecreate(ps3) with the stop motion feature(1 feature out of about 45), and edit them on pc.

I just felt that, as a truly avid gamer, It was my duty to come to this blog, and let the other fans know, how amazingly suprising this game was.
If anyone has the same approach to this game/peripheral as I did, you are doing the designers of this software/peripheral, the industry in general, and most of all yourself, an injustice, by missing out on it. Get out there and pick it up, you ‘will’ not be dissapointed.

as for this particular blog topic, I wanted ask an important question about future projects of this nature+little big planet, as it’s important to a lot of aspiring, or admiring artists out there, that want to put their own work into games.

Are there plans in place to moderate the user generated content, as to provide complete freedom to users without the calamity of the more potty-riffic comedians of the gaming community?
I’m all for complete freedom with design, at whatever cost that may accompany, but I don’t want perverts ruining that experience for aspiring artists such as myself.?

+ linuxguru on November 14th, 2007 at 9:52 pm said:

Love it.
Release it.
It would be some new life to the PS Eye that is just hanging out in my house.

+ nhh1 on November 14th, 2007 at 9:56 pm said:

Is there any possibility that these tech demos are going to be incorporated in games that are in development? Are there any games in development that are incorporating these details? Or are these mere tech demos to show the capabilities of the ps eye? Because I would find it awesome if you make some games using this. I wouldn’t mind just having a lunar game on psn. I would buy it.

+ darktorns on November 14th, 2007 at 9:59 pm said:

this is great, i never seen something like this b4, this should make a great bunch of minigames.

+ AGQ0105 on November 14th, 2007 at 10:01 pm said:

Very nice!

+ Karamo on November 14th, 2007 at 10:20 pm said:

This is cool, it would be nice if you can upload items in LBP using this tech

+ Omen_20 on November 14th, 2007 at 10:56 pm said:

I so want yawl’s jobs. Honestly I’m going to college right now to be a game programmer and its my goal to work at Sony’s R&D for the PS Eye. I sit here sometimes just wondering what cool stuff I’d do with the PS Eye.

I’d also like to work on the team that works on firmware update as I geek out on that sort of stuff too lol.

But seriously how fun must it be just coming up with ideas and trying them out? Count on reading my resume 3 years.

+ osirisomeomi on November 14th, 2007 at 11:29 pm said:

Thanks for showing us some of the ideas you guys are cooking up. Please realize that this series of games could make Sony hundreds of millions of dollars. I am not exaggerating. Literally, hundreds of millions of dollars. Imagine designing a series of mini games based off the eye and the controller? That tank game alone has my wallet jumping out of my pocket. If you add some more polish and depth to the gameplay, you could have an insanely popular game on your hands. It’s NEW, and that’s a rare thing in videogames.

You could create full-dledged games with the PS eye. You could use it as a full-out creation tool, both within LBP and outside it in a minigame world. The MONEY…

+ osirisomeomi on November 14th, 2007 at 11:31 pm said:

Also, if you could degin your own weapons by drawing them out, and they’d have different attacks and strengths and such… Wow, you’d commercialize doodling.

+ Tanga on November 14th, 2007 at 11:53 pm said:

absolutely amazing! just wow.

+ heisert on November 14th, 2007 at 11:54 pm said:

it looks very funny! i want them all!

+ jaydogg691 on November 14th, 2007 at 11:56 pm said:

This is some really amazing stuff. These tech demos make me want to get the PS Eye. I would really like to see more of this stuff in the future.

+ Billy_Idol on November 15th, 2007 at 12:00 am said:

well done guys!! I’m looking forward to download the software sometimes from the PSN!

+ Gord Lacey on November 15th, 2007 at 12:52 am said:

Hmm….looks like it would be possible to draw a floor plan for HOME and then import it ;)

Gord

+ samdu on November 15th, 2007 at 1:11 am said:

This is one of the most innovative things I’ve seen in gaming in a very long time. The potential is limitless. Y’all need to continue to work on this kind of stuff and get something out to the masses. I can’t wait!

+ Trond on November 15th, 2007 at 1:16 am said:

Games like this would be realy cool online.
Like a game where you paint all the things in the world and then you run around in that world with other people online.
Much like Little Big Planet.

That tank game would also be realy cool online.
But someone would just use “you know what” as a tank. not cool.. hmm.

Oh and also a game like “Drawn to Life” would work perfect with this technology.

+ chip5541 on November 15th, 2007 at 1:17 am said:

I have to say that is some truely impressive stuff. Very creative. When I first saw it I thought it would be cool to scan comics but I see someone already thought of that further up. Have you tried it? I am thinking it could be a neat way for an adventure or action game. Specificly Army of Darkness ;)
Thinking further along those lines what about painting? Grabbing images from painting (Dru Blair or others) and using in your own custom, maybe even sharable, game.

+ severeon on November 15th, 2007 at 1:19 am said:

Does anyone else think that the last video there is a goldmine? I certainly would pay $5 – $10 for it on the PSN. Especially if you could draw turrets, or maybe make the map 3d terrain etc.. A really simple press X on the object, and move the right analog stick to raise the map would do just fine.