PS4 - Transistor

Video of New Research Conducted with PlayStation Eye

Richard Marks's Avatar + Posted by Richard Marks on Nov 14, 2007 // Senior Researcher, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Most of you probably already know about the launch of the PlayStation Eye, and hopefully you’re as excited as we are here in PlayStation R&D. By the time products launch, our contribution is usually long past, but this time we wanted to join the fun. So we thought we’d give you an exclusive first glimpse at some of our new research that uses PS Eye.

We grabbed our lab camcorder and filmed some tech demos created by newcomer Anton Mikhailov (he’s the guy playing games in the videos). Anton has been using PS Eye to let users add their own content into games. So far, he’s focused on simple, familiar games (like lunar lander and tank battle) that he can code for PS3 in a day or so. These games are pretty old school, but they become amazingly fun again when you get to add your own content. And when the PS3 adds physics to your content, things become even more fun! (why does everyone keep mentioning Little Big Planet?)

Check out the videos. We filmed them without cuts so you could see how easy it is to add your own content.

Note that these are tech demos, not products. We just wanted to let you see one of our crazy ideas of how the PS Eye might be used in the future. Anton or I will be answering questions, so let us know what you think!

335 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

+ psudoynm on November 15th, 2007 at 1:23 am said:

Please please PLEASE allow me as a simple aspiring illustrator use this to bring my drawings alive.

+ chronotrigger on November 15th, 2007 at 2:08 am said:

WOW

+ zlieb on November 15th, 2007 at 2:50 am said:

hey nice work – I had heard about this being developed from someone at sony!

here is an art project made with the same premise, drawings that can come off the page:

thought you might enjoy to see an another take on drawings at input –

thanks & take care –
zach

+ zapruder on November 15th, 2007 at 2:53 am said:

very very nice.. keep it up keep showing us these R&D films they are an inspiration! …being a creative guy i’m loving this!

+ Xenochaos805 on November 15th, 2007 at 4:37 am said:

On some non-related news the PS# outsold the WII & 360 together in japan last week.

+ blizzard182 on November 15th, 2007 at 5:09 am said:

This is so cool I want to punch myself.

One question only: Would I be able to scroll and use the XMB with my gestures?

If your answer is a YES, count me in for the EYE.

I don´t many friends with the PS3 (I live in South America) but seeing that much potential for that thing, I would totally buy it ASAP.

Can you imagine moving your hand like a quick slap to the left and have the XMB scrolling to the left? Oh man I would have an orgasm…

+ BrianD on November 15th, 2007 at 6:22 am said:

Anton and Richard -

I saw this on Digg and created an account here to tell you guys that this is incredible. Nice work. This really should be released as a product for sure.

- Try making a Rube Goldburg! That would be sweet to see.

Nice work guys!

+ MrGilder on November 15th, 2007 at 6:26 am said:

Simply amazing! Can’t wait to see this technology integrated into a full game..

+ Toadzter17 on November 15th, 2007 at 6:47 am said:

@17

Thank you very much for the fast reply. To add, if I might, what would it take to get a presentation of this technology and the development process behind it at a game development school? Do you have a student out reach program?

Thanks again

+ chthonos on November 15th, 2007 at 6:56 am said:

So, will you guys be making a Harold and the Purple Crayon game?

+ chip5541 on November 15th, 2007 at 7:06 am said:

Idea. Integrate table top models (Warhammer for example) into a game. The models could have stats like the table top version and you could buy special units like EOJ.

+ Pentex on November 15th, 2007 at 7:10 am said:

Really great stuff here. What you did for now is already good and i could see the tank demo being released as a full product. Anyway, the final part of the video, when everyone was digitalizing their own stuff and the part where the tanks were battling in the middle of everyday objects reminded me of… Micro Machines!!

I’m guessing with things the way they are now, it wouldn’t be very difficult to draw a track and have 4 cars driving around. The only things missing would be a lap counter and position check. Hell, if someone digitalized a toy tank, one could even do the same with Hot Wheels cars or something lol.

Keep it up and bring that to gamers ASAP

+ afrosheen on November 15th, 2007 at 7:31 am said:

@182: Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A tactics/strategy game with toys you move on a long field would be well suited to the PS Eye and thanks to EoJ the tech is already written and viable for it.

+ Andronix on November 15th, 2007 at 7:36 am said:

These videos are not viewable on the PlayStation 3! All you get is sound. Is a codec update coming please!

Watching via PC, they show loads of potential. I hope the Eye can be used in regular games as well. EG, see faces of players as you battle in online games.

+ Daver on November 15th, 2007 at 8:04 am said:

i just watched the magic spell video and i must say WHOA! its very nice
hope to see more about it soon!

+ Andronix on November 15th, 2007 at 8:10 am said:

I just watched the second video, where items are scanned to screen, then ‘drop out’ to the bottom of the screen, with what looks like real physics. AMAZING. The technology is excellent, but its all about finding the right game. Mini-games are fun (Wii Sports) but maybe the technology could be used to compliment a ‘full’ game.

Some kind off (hate to say this archaic phrase) virtual-reality game. Where control is with a game pad but also where player has to ‘put’ objects into the game.

Or emulate the controls seen in the Tom Cruise film Minority Report. Okay there isnt a 3D control panel, but the control panel/ visual feedback could be bought up on a tv screen, and the player could use it to access information/ solve a puzzle etc. Maybe it could be added to PS3 online game ‘The Agency.’

Fantastic work, but please get some Eye functionality into ALL games.

+ thingg on November 15th, 2007 at 8:20 am said:

All I can say is…………..WOW
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!
If you guys can do it, please release those “demos” as a PSN downlodable game ASAP. How cool would it be to “drive” like, a calculator around and blow stuff up with it? (You know you want to…….)
Also, if you can do it, I’d appreciate if you guys would make a small devkit to allow amateur programmers such as myself some freedom of expression. (And also give us an opportunity to put our hours of torturous physics classes to good use.)
Anyway, even if you can’t do the devkit thing, MAKE MORE GAMES!!!!

+ frito on November 15th, 2007 at 9:28 am said:

I HAVE ONE QUESTION ABOUT THE EYE!

I am trying to make stop motion animation with my snapshots in Eyecreate, like you guys demoed here in the blog (of some kids racing through the office)-

Is there a way to decrease the default 2 second time designation for snapshots when placed into the Eyecreate timeline? Because 2 seconds make the animation of course very slow and choppy, you have to manually snip each clip and delete the excess for EVERY snapshot, it is very frustrating!

Thanks for any help!

+ JDPoZ on November 15th, 2007 at 9:38 am said:

You guys are brilliant! THIS is what Playstation is all about.
P.S. – I can haz tank tech demo plz?

+ Fatez on November 15th, 2007 at 9:39 am said:

btw is there any way to copy the videos created with the PSEYE to a pendrive?

+ blizzard182 on November 15th, 2007 at 9:39 am said:

@AndroniX

They already showed that!!! Thats why I am asking for support for the EYE in the XMB.

Watch the promo ad of the EYE TOY in the PSN. You will see what you are asking for =)

+ conman on November 15th, 2007 at 10:25 am said:

Exellent… I’m studying image processing and image analysis right now. You have made a really interesting application there. What techniques did you use for feature extraction?

+ mobiletone on November 15th, 2007 at 11:32 am said:

and hopefully you’re as excited as we are here in PlayStation R&D.

for making a perfectly good bit of hardware obsolete (eye toy) and making users cough out for ANOTHER BIT of hardware.

i bet you love the sound of the greenbacks hitting your bank accounts.

Richard Marks's Avatar

+ Richard Marks on November 15th, 2007 at 11:59 am said:

Again everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback and ideas. We have clearly heard your requests for this to be turned into a product.

@Clinton514 (134): Simple yet mind-blowing is a good combo, neh?

@Cameron (136): We try to write papers and give talks at conferences like Game Developer Conference and SIGGRAPH, but we wish we could do more of that:

@Omen_20 (149): Way fun; look us up in 3!

@Toadszter17 (181): We occasionally arrange to give talks at schools, but we don’t have a formal process. We accept invitations whenever schedules permit.

@conman (207): Afraid we can’t discuss that level of detail at this point. Now maybe if your login had been fluffykitten….

+ blizzard182 on November 15th, 2007 at 12:55 pm said:

Looking at this video in this link: http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Accessories/SCPH-98047?EMC-HWSWNo&ATTR=PSU_Eyeofjudge_P001_PS3_DS8_001_Accessories_H

I have to ask these questions…

1) Would you be able to move around the XMB with the EYE?
2) All those demos that show people moving a ball, or the aquarium, etc…

Are those tech demos? Do they come with the EYE / EYE of Judgement? I mean, how can we get those…they look fun as hell.

+ Enedok on November 15th, 2007 at 12:56 pm said:

Its a beautiful proof of concept.

Already as it is now you could do two things with it.

1. Add all together to a PSN download.

Or 2.
Include this to the arcade machines at HOME. So other people can join in or look at your creations while you play. (Want it, BAAD. :)

You should dedicate a room in HOME for those machines. And then a big screen in the middle that change between different players screens.

+ afrosheen on November 15th, 2007 at 1:17 pm said:

@216: Those are games that Sony has been selling on the EU store for nearly a month already. I have no idea why they’re holding them hostage from us US Eye of Judgment/PS Eye owners. It’s retarded really.

+ blizzard182 on November 15th, 2007 at 1:24 pm said:

@afrosheen (218)

Really? I have access to all of the PSN and I have not seen them.

Or you mean retail stores? I live in Argentina so that would be hard =)

+ afrosheen on November 15th, 2007 at 2:21 pm said:

@220: Yes really. They have already been reviewed by a UK PS3 owner. You’ll find his videos here: http://youtube.com/kungfuruss

SCEE: WTF, sell us these games in the States already. Today maybe?

+ blizzard182 on November 15th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

@221

You know I just got into the EU Store and there I found those games and a couple of trailers I have never seen.

I believe there could be some licence issues but it is silly.

I need to check all the stores every thursday I guess.

PS. EU Store has the Demo of PES2008 =)

+ reson8er on November 15th, 2007 at 3:13 pm said:

I’m with you Afrosheen, I hope we get some PSEye stuff :)

+ Trond on November 15th, 2007 at 3:23 pm said:

Yes there are 5 PS EYE games on the EU PS Store that are not out in the US.
The game named Aqua Vita works on the PSP with Remote Play.

+ KnaveX on November 15th, 2007 at 3:59 pm said:

Hey guys whats wrong, a little late in the store update? Just kidding, just here staring at the store is all, seeing what improvements could be made, besides making it software.

+ Loucetios on November 15th, 2007 at 4:39 pm said:

has anyone else network been acting weird on the Ps3? there isn’t a store update, none of the thumbnails come up in the Psn and when i load warhawk it turns the net off and when i exit it comes back on

+ frito on November 15th, 2007 at 4:49 pm said:

yeah i noticed no thumbnails, and when i started the uncharted demo, it knocks me off the network!

+ edwineverready on November 15th, 2007 at 4:53 pm said:

yeah i had the same thing i wanted to play the uncharted demo and it kicked me of the network. and it’s slow as hell. the europa store is also acting up. whaaaassuup

+ frito on November 15th, 2007 at 5:00 pm said:

i emailed them to let em know about the network problems, we’ll see if anyone reads it!

+ saunderswan on November 15th, 2007 at 5:11 pm said:

the store has been updated :D

+ Darkendless on November 15th, 2007 at 5:23 pm said:

Richard Marks I think people really underestimate the intellectual capacity of game designers

+ cornfused on November 15th, 2007 at 5:51 pm said:

I can’t wait to see what kind of games you develop with this. If you somehow get a game out from this tech demo, make sure that there’s a record function of some sort, so that we can post these as videos to the PS Network somehow, so we can see the best creators!

Awesome job!

+ Takeshi.hin on November 15th, 2007 at 5:54 pm said:

It looks so much fun to work at R&D. I suppose this is the best job in the world. This is why I like Sony. No matter what it is you guys are developing, it always works! I want Tank Battle! Pretty please…
Cheers guys keep it up!

+ Jhonny on November 15th, 2007 at 6:20 pm said:

Oh man that’s soo amazing and even one more reason to get a PS3. Scanning things in so easy that’s awesome and even use them for create games by your own or edit existing games…
I can’t want till Xmas anymore I need the PS3 so bad…
This will be the sweetest Christmas ever :-)

+ DankandSticky on November 15th, 2007 at 8:04 pm said:

Please put these kind of things on the Playstation Network for download please, if you do i will go buy like 10 PSeye’s just to keep this beautiful company thriving!!!

+ Dan-I-Smith on November 15th, 2007 at 8:51 pm said:

I wish I could watch PSblog videos on my PS3 “sighs the non PC owner”

+ shroom on November 15th, 2007 at 9:09 pm said:

Wow. So simple, but it looks like so much fun.

Now, here’s my idea of how’d you implement this one way:

Have multiple colored stickers (or some other tiny, colored and shaped visible marker). Each specific combo of shape and color represents a certain motion. Say you have a 2D drawing of a character. You put color+shape markers on his elbows, kness, shoulders, etc. (any joint or area of movement) to give the motion you want.

Scanning it in could be of the character first, then of the character and the markers on him, so the areas the sticker covers up won’t be invisible or left out.

This could be for anything, and you could extend it further, with more complex MotionMarkers. A triangles base is where the motion stops, and the point of it is where it closes, like say an elbow moving. The flat side of the triangle is facing the outside of the elbow, the pointy side, pointing in (at the body) is where the arm rotates at. so it moves like you would if you bent your arm up to your pecs from being in a straight, to the body, position.

OR

A gears game. where on screen, you have and start/object on one side, and a finish/objects destination on the other. You have to draw gears, chains, etc. to move the object. But you also have to add motion to the gears and chains you draw.

OR

You have a maze, going north, south, east, and west. You must send an object through the maze, to the end, where the objects destination is. To get through the maze, you must draw contraptions (physics enabled objects, like a see-saw, a spring board that can face up, left, and right, etc) to move your object to the end. But throughout each level, before you start, you are told to which contraptions you can use/draw, which expands as the levels progress and also get harder, so you’ll need to use each new contraption in each level.

Whaddya think? You can contact me if the small chance you like my ideas. I do. lol. Tell me what you think gEyes

+ giacobbej on November 15th, 2007 at 9:49 pm said:

Guys- You’ve got some really cool tech there! :-)

For a truly astounding example of “draw it and apply physics to it” check out this video of an MIT researcher using a SmartBoard to draw simple mechanical models and bring them to “life”

Granted he’s using a SmartBoard to interact directly with the drawing and move the shapes around, but the concepts are similar to what you’re experimenting with.

A key point (imho) is that the MIT program uses special symbols to represent properties of the object – an “x” anchors the object to the backround, a down arrow indicates gravity, curly lines indicate springs, etc.

Really amazing stuff.

+ Karamo on November 15th, 2007 at 9:50 pm said:

it would be nice if you can use the eye toy and build levels in Little Big Planet

+ xillem on November 16th, 2007 at 12:02 am said:

I love these videos!

There’s a game called Desktop Tower Defense, I think a version for the PS Eye would be really great fun! Maybe you want to check it out! (I don’t have anything to do with the authors, I just enjoy playing it.)

+ xillem on November 16th, 2007 at 12:11 am said:

@PS-Team: if you reply to a comment, please quote it! It’s hard to read with jumping forth and back in like 242 comments now…

+ thyshallsmite on November 16th, 2007 at 1:54 am said:

Any plans to have an public beta of this? Really amazed on what you guys did with the eye, this would be one hell of a party game. Surprised that the eye can mange something this complexed, and more surprised that you guys can code something like this.