Uncharted 4

Video of New Research Conducted with PlayStation Eye

Richard Marks's Avatar + Posted by Richard Marks on Nov 14, 2007 // Senior Researcher, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Most of you probably already know about the launch of the PlayStation Eye, and hopefully you’re as excited as we are here in PlayStation R&D. By the time products launch, our contribution is usually long past, but this time we wanted to join the fun. So we thought we’d give you an exclusive first glimpse at some of our new research that uses PS Eye.

We grabbed our lab camcorder and filmed some tech demos created by newcomer Anton Mikhailov (he’s the guy playing games in the videos). Anton has been using PS Eye to let users add their own content into games. So far, he’s focused on simple, familiar games (like lunar lander and tank battle) that he can code for PS3 in a day or so. These games are pretty old school, but they become amazingly fun again when you get to add your own content. And when the PS3 adds physics to your content, things become even more fun! (why does everyone keep mentioning Little Big Planet?)

Check out the videos. We filmed them without cuts so you could see how easy it is to add your own content.

Note that these are tech demos, not products. We just wanted to let you see one of our crazy ideas of how the PS Eye might be used in the future. Anton or I will be answering questions, so let us know what you think!

335 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 16th, 2007 at 5:27 am said:

Hats off to you!

+ linuxguru on November 16th, 2007 at 6:23 am said:

any chance you guys can incorporate some of the items from the MIT video that is posted in @240 comment.

You already have gravity, but to be able to state what is background vs. vehicles would be nice.

What I’d really like to see is the ability to do EXACTLY what is in the MIT video. (Springs, etc.)

+ linuxguru on November 16th, 2007 at 7:12 am said:

Can this been done with the PS3 Eye ?

+ blizzard182 on November 16th, 2007 at 8:46 am said:

Yeah. Check out the video from the US Store. Although that video you posted is much cooler.

You will see several guys putting armor on them, guns and stuff like that so I expect great face and body recognition from the EYE.

Great work

Sony, you have a great product here, and it shows that the PS3 is more than a gaming machine, just please dont let the christmas pass because this is something to take advantage now.

+ blizzard182 on November 16th, 2007 at 9:04 am said:

You should check this out…

+ izeyah on November 16th, 2007 at 10:44 am said:

in game xmb

+ osirisomeomi on November 16th, 2007 at 11:44 am said:

Needs more depth, but man can this concept make money if you ran with it.

+ Gregero on November 16th, 2007 at 11:54 am said:

@blizzard182

That’s some good stuff right there. Thanks to the cell processor many things are now possible that weren’t possible before.

As for the update- it’s a decent update, but I feel that Sony ought to try and go with the mega-updates every week, releasing demos left and right while upping the amount of PSOne games on PSN. A much talked about open Home beta would be great too, but that’ll never happen.

+ allnhbfan on November 16th, 2007 at 12:55 pm said:

like some others i created an account just for this. developers thank you. seriously good job. to illustrate i’ll say that while at my mothers house i showed her the demo montage. my mother is not into games but she was polite and watched and when she saw the flock of birds giuded through beautiful art, she exclaimed… outloud. shes 50+, this is a big deal guys.
now i would echo every other post, especially the family guy with kids concerned about the crap out there, with awe and urgency. BTW i think “PS3-the heavy kid on the block” is an absolutely great ad campaign. the heavy kid was the one with the friends, the one that protected the geeks from the jocks, and most important the heavy kid is the one that has the hot girls around because they can be themselves. i know cause that was me. i can definitely see a 30 sec. spot for that and maybe tekken 6′s bob.
the heart of why i post is to support all the people who gave ideas in public. we would love to be paid for our ideas but its very important to us to play the games we want. if we don’t get hired or our ip’s aren’t bought then these games might never come to light, the ones that suffer, us. so being that you are sony and you prove that you care about your gamers, aka, your paycheck. a game i would love using the user/illustrator content is an action strategy 1st/3rd person stickman game. a ctf, last man standing whatever between two armies. the gameplay would be that you drew your stickman army as the cpu/online opponent draws theirs and the challenge is to balance drawing your army with picking up the controller and controling units and indviduals to fight in the battle. ie rts concepts like drawing one man with machine guns and another with flamethrower, rocket launcher etc. for units and balance them with another stick guy with a big gun and a tripod and you have a permanent tower gunner. seriously this game would be great, i have already pretended to play it. frantically drawing five men with guns then taking control, then drawing two with rockets behind them, then vehicles and snipers, jets and anti-aircraft. i’m exited already. i’d also like cartoony maybe user created explosions and trogdor fire, HEY TROGDOR, YES!! so please. a thought about the hardware please do not make a sony smartboard mouse-pad with a pen that cost 50 dollars without a large amount of games to go with it ie 20 minigames or at least 2. but the guy with the dry erase board idea is on to something, and the profit frome that as opposed to a smartboard is exponential. also the board games. great ideas, i didn’t think of that. well i think were all exited more for the fact that we will now be holding a gun, light-saber, be heihachi, all our dreams of being in the game are one step closer and another step in that direction is soon to be here. i ask one thing, i got a ps1 on u.s. release and have never looked back, i’ve never written or asked for anything but will you please make a wii sports game, even a shameless ripoff(that would be a guilty pleasure) but seriously, heres why. i showed my little boy some clips of the wii plane game and he loved it, then i said want to see a real flying game and showed clips of warhawks incredible action. he was unintersted and reapeatedly asked for the bright red plane, well i’m working on him, but ithink you get my point. my girl imitates the wii tennis avatars. quite funny really, but how much better if we were our “wii”s and could silly dance in game even if it cost the game. so there is my request, oh and if i’ve somehow missed a game like that to be coming out please tell me people. thank you again.

+ god0fgod on November 16th, 2007 at 1:54 pm said:

Wow. If that moon lander thing took one day to create I wonder what is possible with many people working for a week or so.

It would be funny if it was possible to get a PS3 to read a book to you by placing a book under the playstation eye.

+ linuxguru on November 16th, 2007 at 5:32 pm said:

come on Sony! Let these guys distribute this via PSN. Throw a big NO SUPPORT disclaimer on it. I’d love to get it …right now the only thing I have is EyeCreate and the fun last only so long. :-)

+ conman on November 16th, 2007 at 6:02 pm said:

@Richard marks: Well, I will build my own interactive tapestry with blackjack, and hookers… in fact, forget the blackjack and the hookers! :)

+ CLauX on November 16th, 2007 at 7:01 pm said:

how do i get a job there?! seriously though, i would like a very simple game like this. bringing reality into gaming is what we (or at least I) have wanted for a while. Sixaxis integrated into the lunar lander is pretty great. hope to see a game like this very soon.

Richard Marks's Avatar

+ Richard Marks on November 16th, 2007 at 7:35 pm said:

Watching all those movies you guys posted links for is eating into my game-playing time! :) Seriously though, some good stuff in there (some familiar, some not!) But Drake isn’t going to find that uncharted fortune without me. Er, I only mean the demo, of course… :)

@265, Bender, this is one of my favorite games. Besides, it’s all in the reflexes.

+ Hedrakk on November 16th, 2007 at 9:20 pm said:

Anton, you rock!!!!! I’m just bearly think how much fun my friends and I could have on a PS3 night with that kind of game… Every silly thing in your house (well, it would still have to fit in the picture, but you got the point) could become you tank to play good’ol Atari’s Combat game (with an awesome twist!). I bet you could easily transform this tank game into a Air combat game (as in Atari’s Combat). I’m a gamer but I wish I could have your technical knowledge so I could have a job like yours. Keep up the good work!

The PS Eye is on my christmas list… I hope we will see this demo in a form of a released package game!

+ TwoBlack4America on November 16th, 2007 at 10:00 pm said:

These videos are amazing.Good job guys!

+ onQ on November 16th, 2007 at 10:15 pm said:

Sony needs to make a deal with PBS kids nick jr and make some educational games with the PlayStation Eye because My 3 year old niece loves the eyetoy games I let it baby sit her all day lol .

just add elmo or barney to the mix and it will be 5 million sold in no time.

dora the explorer and PS Eye would be perfect together.

and they could have new interactive episodes every week.

+ uuaschbaer on November 17th, 2007 at 6:52 am said:

I hope this idea will make it into a product, I still want to play with rubber ducks in a bathtub :].

+ uuaschbaer on November 17th, 2007 at 7:40 am said:

Does anybody know if the PS EYE uses that Zcamera/3Dcamera technology?

+ crazyeighty8 on November 17th, 2007 at 7:46 am said:

Hi Guys

Have you thought of ways to incorperate the psp and its remoteplay features?.

+ linuxguru on November 17th, 2007 at 12:48 pm said:

Crayon Physics game
like drawing without using the PS Eye

maybe you can get some ideas from this too

+ pwfd on November 17th, 2007 at 1:12 pm said:

@Richard Marks
I watched that video about de eyetoy, that shows de magic spells game and the medieval one, in the end it’s said about a 3D camera tecnology and then they show magic spells again with that tecnology, that was really good, does the ps eye has anything like that??

+ maikelnait on November 18th, 2007 at 3:36 am said:

that’s astonishing!!!

This is great, we will can create our games!!
Please, increase PSeye videotracking apps! It’s the future!

Can’t wait!!!
=P

Richard Marks's Avatar

+ Anton Mikhailov on November 18th, 2007 at 12:10 pm said:

@239, shroom, Ever play The Incredible Machine/Armadillo Run/Crazy Machines?

@268, Hedrakk, Aerial combat request noted :)

@274, linuxguru, Thanks for the link, I saw crayon physics a while back and it looks like it has improved quite a bit.

+ onQ on November 18th, 2007 at 1:17 pm said:

When is KnockOut coming out for the PS3 I love that game and I think sony should sell some bright colored gloves with PS Eye games to make it easier to pick up where your hand is at. or a neon soft bat for a baseball game.

some bright headbands and wristbands would make body movement more accurate with the EyeToy and the PS Eye too But it might look crazy lol.

+ stratos on November 19th, 2007 at 5:58 pm said:

I was wondering seeing al this stuff on ps blog, if sony will at one time perhaps (hopefully) release a high level API to create your own little games or programmes. Totally not aimed at normal consumers but at hobbyist programmers. I know you can already “sorta” do that, by installing linux, but it would be create to be able to make your own little programmes for the PS3.

For instance with the 2.0 update we saw the RSS feed for blog postings. With user created content for the PS3, we could have seen this monts ago. And it would be my fair bet that more desktop applets would be emerging in a matter of days. (clock, calender, Xeyes)

Of course its a legal and security nightmare to have such a high degree of programmable freedom, but it would make the PS3 totally rock. And normal users would eventually benefit from it too, as the content becomes more mature.

Hell, such a system already works for browsers (firefox), music players (banshee/rhythmbox), mail clients (evolution/thunderbird) or even desktops (GNOME desklets/ vista/OSX widgets)
So why not be the first gaming console/home entertainment product to do it?

+ linuxguru on November 20th, 2007 at 7:21 am said:

….^….^….^….^….——————————
The thread is dead. :-)
I really enjoyed this article.

Here is one last video to check out…

+ Garcia5 on November 21st, 2007 at 1:45 am said:

I like the tank one i think u should release it NOW

+ bowman_snowman on November 22nd, 2007 at 2:34 am said:

soooo sick. I think a product like this, if you do leave it a little more open for “bedroom coders” (as I read above) to play around with it would be great. This brings so much more creativity to the PS3. wonderful

+ the_silver_bullet on November 22nd, 2007 at 11:11 am said:

Sweet lol. I loved the last video where you could scan in your own tank. That would actually be a fun game to play there :P

I have a question and you may hurt me for acting n00bish if I am, but for the Eye of Judgment stand. Do you need to buy the bundle or can you buy the stand separately…?

+ kazemegaman on November 22nd, 2007 at 11:31 am said:

Thats awesome maybe I might a Playstation eye

+ ksmooches on November 22nd, 2007 at 10:32 pm said:

I know this may be off topic but, since you guys are doing all this crazy high tech PS Eye stuff that can be integrated into games, when will we be able to integrate our music downloaded on our PS3s into video games like on Xbox 360?

+ sobedude001 on November 23rd, 2007 at 8:39 am said:

that is freakin amazing guys. YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE INTO GAMES AND PUT THEM INTO THE PLAYSTATION STORE!

these games would make me buy the PS Eye. That is just way way to cool.
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

+ gadgetdevil on November 24th, 2007 at 12:12 am said:

Why does that PS3 say “Playstation 3 Test”?

The eye is awesome BTW, a big improvement from the Eyetoy.

+ thatsmartguywiththefro on November 24th, 2007 at 8:27 am said:

this will be awsome! especially if you keep it fairly flexible so that you can design the layout of the level and characters, while keeping the same basic structure/theme.

hope it is integrated into games like littlebigplanet!

+ Karamo on November 25th, 2007 at 4:57 pm said:

i wish i could work with those guys

+ chintz on November 25th, 2007 at 7:48 pm said:

if u guys use this tank game and games like pacman and develope with sony..

not only will you make a profit but u’ll also make excellent mini games for PlayStatoin Network Arcade Section

or better yet implement some of this into the HOME arcade machines.

+ the6one on November 26th, 2007 at 1:33 pm said:

First off…..let’s get one thing straight, right now, I love you SONY and I always will. My last post was anger and frustration on how you have let things go to to absolute crap over the the past year or so. I commend you on all your efforts of trying to correct your mistakes, but the fact is you guys have an awesome marketing campaign for the PS3 now, that you should have had at least a year ago. I am still pulling for this company as we are the more advanced company in computer entertainment, but I am starting to wonder. I stopped over to my local Wal-Mart and played the demo version of Ratchet and Clank Future. The game is utterly amazing but it’s not that much different than what both of our competitors are offering in terms of content. We have a good price point, no argument there, but what about games, quality games for that matter. Believe me, if there is any one who wants to see this company succeed and take over the world with its electronics and businesses, it me. However, SONY, you guys really screwed things up and alot of consumers have gone the other way to M$ because you screwed them out of their money or somethin. My hope is that we can get the PS3 as being a competent and relevant machine to consumers as well as blu-ray for that matter. We need to completely abandon this whole power deal about the PS3. M$’s machine is pretty powerful, yet they don’t even market the machine on its power but rather on its online capabilities with Live. Sony, we have to make playstation 3 just like playstation 2 if are to win this console generation. Enough about its power, PEOPLE DON’T CARE ABOUT THAT! WHAT PEOPLE WANT ARE GAMES AND INSTANT ENTERTAINMENT. That is why the Wii is doing so well in Japan and other markets. People at the end of the day don’t care about technology until that technology becomes relevant to them. Take for example, VHS and the Betamax. Betamax was by far superior and more expensive than VHS, yet VHS was declared the victor in sales and the Betamax fell into obscurity. Sorry, thats just the way it goes sometimes. Luckily, however, the PS3 does not have to be another Betamax project that ends up failing. No. Why you may ask? It’s because the PS3 is set to have a 10-year lifecycle and that means that there is still plenty of time to turn this whole debacle around. Again, you cannot show these new spots of yours enough. Your going to have to make people get sick of them, which by the way, they have been done and executed in way that it almost never gets old watching them. Keep up the good work. I wish you guys a great Holiday season in sales as well as awareness of the PS3. Signing off….#1 Sony-ite or fan or whatever you want to call me.

the6one……….

+ the6one on November 27th, 2007 at 4:22 pm said:

Congratulations Sony on more than great sales of the PS3 computer entertainment system. Bravo, the sales numbers are just out of this world! Congrats to everybody abroad as the PS3 computer entertainment system is now outselling the Nintendo Wii 2 weeks in a row in the land of the rising sun. Great! I am really starting to see results. If this keeps up, we’ll be back in the hunt for first place in market share in the next 2-3 years guaranteed. I hope you guys are and have learned your lesson which is never forget the bridge that carried you over. Microsoft and Nintendo were great competitors for awhile but the top company in computer entertainment is back, and back with a vengeance. I know that the PS3 is advanced as hell, but lets let our consumers somehow figure that out on their own. For now all we need to do is promote the livin’ crap out of this machine with the idea of enlarging and expanding our current user install base. Sorry once again for being so hard on you guys on that post in which I expressed my utter dissapointment with the company and how things have turned out so far. I’m sorry for being so hard on you guys but I am not sorry for telling you the truth. The truth hurts sometime, but sometimes you have to hear it. I am glad that Sony is back in the game and we’ll see now just how big, bad, and tough our competitors really are now that we have a more competitve price tag and more software being generated for our platform. Sony rocks, its just so sad that it took the company this long to rebound. Oh well, as long as we finish on top, that is all that matters from this point and beyond. PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system is the real deal and the numbers prove just that.

the6one………

+ Marrex on November 28th, 2007 at 6:12 pm said:

I read somewhere in a magazine about test on the Playstation Eye using i believe a Retro-Reflective lens, and with the combo of a special glove, you could use simple hand gestures to use the menus on the Ps3, is this actually possible? I know the Eye to be a magnificent piece of tech, but never even imagined that to be possible in this year of technology.

+ superspam on November 30th, 2007 at 10:05 pm said:

I WILL BYE A PLAYSTATION EYE IF THIS COMES OUT!

+ Dew87 on December 2nd, 2007 at 3:01 pm said:

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen done with a camera. Please develop a software so anyone can create simple but fun games, visual contraptions and all sorts of cool stuff like this. This could truly bringing user creativity and gaming together.

+ Photomom1967 on December 4th, 2007 at 10:20 am said:

I need you help gamers. I’m getting my son a PS3 for Christmas. He has asked for the 80 GB, but I’ve read that you can’t use PS2 games on it, but the 60 GB you can. What do you think I should get? Thanks!

+ dualshock on December 5th, 2007 at 9:05 pm said:

this is the best thing every to hit the Playstation 3 in what i think. you can create game from what you draw and if you need objects as weapons or something you just need to scan it. how cool is that, just got to wait until Sony actually releases this.

+ the6one on December 7th, 2007 at 2:33 am said:

Hello Sony,

It’s the the6one here and I just wanted to say that you guys are just fine. I am not even worried about the complexion of the PS3 anymore, and I don’t mean that just about the price-cut. It’s taken me quite a while since the launch of PS3 to be comfortable in where the company was going in the direction for the PS3. I can say confidently, that PS3 computer entertainment system will be market leader sometime around late 2009 or at the beginning of 2010. Sony always aims for the long haul and so there short-term is never really spectacular. The PS3 at 6.36 million consoles is slowly but surely on its way to market dominance. People may not see it yet, but trust me Sony will infact win again; 3 generations in a row. The sad part about all this is that M$ and nintendo will again come up on the short end of the stick. Some might say that I am delusional, but I beg to differ. See, it’s like this, we are in no doubt “right now” on the short-end of the stick. I am not denying that, however, a few short years from now it will be vice-versa. It’s like saying both M$ and nintendo designed their consoles to take advantage of the short-term success on the market, especially nintendo. Once the short-term periods are played out and trust me they will, only the long-term planners will be able to stand and run with the rest of the demand of the market. Developers haven’t even scratched the surface of the PS3′s hardware capabilities and then add in blu-ray and the PS3 being a cheap blu-ray player, and also HOME and other attractive features that are only available through SONY Computer Entertainment, you have one awesome system on your hands. This holiday season is going to be great for PS3 and a lot of people that didn’t previously own PS3 all of sudden will, and with that comes building and establishing a larger user install base. 2008 will be the defining year for the PS3 as being a true potential juggernaut entertainment system that will open people’s eyes to the greatness and unsurpassed processing power of the PS3. Good luck, Sony. If anybody can turn thing around it is definetly you.

+ ryuk on December 7th, 2007 at 7:32 pm said:

Sweet!

+ plantgeta on December 8th, 2007 at 10:54 pm said:

Can we PLEEEEASE get some XMB interaction out of the Eye? Think Minority Report or Equilibrium……HP commercials? We NEED that. All in favour, say “Aye” :)
C’mon, this would be HUGE!

+ Aardvarkus on December 12th, 2007 at 9:52 am said:

Hi I am currently participating in the Home Beta and I was wondering if there was work being done on using the eye to import objects in Home?

PAGE 1 3 4 5