PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Sneak Preview of New PS3 Ads

Kim Nguyen's Avatar + Posted by Kim Nguyen on Nov 16, 2007 // Marketing Manager, PlayStation 3

Hello everyone. When we last spoke, I posted some ads for PS3 third-party heavy hitters Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty 4. Well, as promised, we have more up our sleeves and have a couple more spots to debut for you all before they officially air the week of November 19th.

We’ve brought back the same pulsating music track (Saliva’s “Ladies and Gentlemen”) from our PS3 brand spots and feature games from our 3rd party friends like Burnout Paradise, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008, Madden NFL 08, Time Crisis 4, Assassin’s Creed, Haze, and, what you’ve all been asking for … Metal Gear Solid 4 from Konami.

Finally, one little housekeeping note. You all must be wondering why the TV spots aren’t on the PLAYSTATION Store. We’re not just blowing smoke, they will be soon. We need to secure download rights from Saliva. It’s really great to see how much you guys love these spots and want to download them. And as Peter Dille said in his recent post, we’re truly flattered. So, while the legal eagles work out the details, we hope you can still enjoy the spots here on the blog.

Enjoy!

202 Comments

+ Wisdom Wanderer on November 17th, 2007 at 6:56 am said:

The Holidays are coming up and Sony is unleashing a slew of amazing advertisements. Keep up the excellent work!

+ nate_g on November 17th, 2007 at 7:42 am said:

keep it up

+ Galley on November 17th, 2007 at 7:55 am said:

How about one that is nothing but Blu-ray Disc? Supposedly 40% of PS3 owners don’t even realize that it plays Hi-Def movies.

+ Athanasios on November 17th, 2007 at 9:24 am said:

These commercials are great, keep up the good work! Also, I would really love to see high-definition versions of the entire ad campaign made avialable for download.

+ Athanasios on November 17th, 2007 at 9:28 am said:

@ 106

Oops, I shouldn’t of posted before I finished reading the actual article. Otherwise I would of read that you guys are trying to make these ads avialalbe via the PlayStation Store. Thanks.

+ Aselus on November 17th, 2007 at 9:38 am said:

Wow that was cool. you guys did a great job ont he adds this year@ great music timing especially gets the heart pumping ^_^ hope for good sales this holiday season so we can see more ppl on the psn w/ us ;-)… which makes me think… any chance we’ll be getting folders for our friends list (at least search folders) would be nice to organize people since there are getting to be more and more(would be nice if we coudl add notes to people on our friends list as well lol. I’m starting to forget where i met whom. ^_^

+ Jeigh on November 17th, 2007 at 10:15 am said:

Now THOSE are going to strike fear and jealousy into the hearts of the opposition. :D Just keep doing what your doing.

+ TONX on November 17th, 2007 at 10:30 am said:

Market the HELL out of MGS4 Sony, that thing needs its own cereal, drink, and should be on every major channel on primetime. This is the game that will get you over the hump.

(until Killzone 2 comes out) :)

+ Se-7-eN on November 17th, 2007 at 10:32 am said:

Very impressed with the commercials…. But I dont see them enough on TV! :( The bottom one really made me happy to be a PS3 owner. HAZE and MGS made it look amazing!

+ KnaveX on November 17th, 2007 at 10:41 am said:

Totally random, but how awesome would it be for a apple-sony alliance, imagine having itunes on your ps3 and being able to connect your ipod to your ps3 using itunes! Sony should really consider, all the apple fanboys would rush out to get a ps3 due to that. And having quicktime capabilties on the ps3 would be so wicked!

+ blahblahbloo on November 17th, 2007 at 11:14 am said:

KnaveX,

I’ve been thinking that, too. Some version of Safari would make a nice replacement for the web browser the PS3 has now, too.

+ Lithgow on November 17th, 2007 at 11:51 am said:

O HEEEELL ya! But I still think the first two spots are the best. I nearly pissed my pants when I saw the first 1 minute Universe of Entertainment ad. And now we want it on the Playstation Store, in both SD and HD. Keep it up!

+ Gregero on November 17th, 2007 at 12:46 pm said:

HEELL YEEAH!!! That was freakin dope. You guys chose the perfect song for these commercials. Everytime I see one of those things I get all hyped for being a PS3 owner. “Your eyes and ears will be bleeding!” PS3 is gonna kick ass next year. Which brings a question, Kim. Why are the commercials sporting games that aren’t out yet? I would be rather angry to pick up a PS3 from seeing that Metal Gear portion and find out that it’s not coming till mid next year. Just a thought, but awesome job.

+ Gyroxide on November 17th, 2007 at 1:04 pm said:

Give Superfad their due props! http://superfad.com/player.php?project=96&item=190

+ Nfinity on November 17th, 2007 at 1:07 pm said:

I like how you (with the exception of Assasins Creed) are misleading the public by showcasing games that are coming way into 2008 and presenting them like they are available now.

But i guess this is all justifiable, well because it’s Sony right? This is marketing so you are allowed to mislead.

Horrible, I really feel bad for anyone who buys a PS3 and I’m grossly dissapointed with the PS3 from the beginning. I paid $600 for what? For a year of NOTHING and it seems that the new customers will have like 5 games to play before mid-2008.

Aren’t you ashamed. Absolutely horrible.

+ mcx on November 17th, 2007 at 1:07 pm said:

Like to give credit to Sony for this blog — listening to the public. — Great ADs –

+ mcx on November 17th, 2007 at 1:14 pm said:

At all the who question about Sony promoting games that come out next year. I saw MS promote Halo 3 — 6months plus before it came out. If MSG it meets its release in 1st quarter then they will be alright.

+ sonyfanonly on November 17th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

This is awesome thank you very much SONY this is so cool i love them very much. Yeah actually what happened to the PlayBeyond ones the little kids at walmart liked the baby one but i liked the one with the rolling balls and stuff but keep up the good work especially with the MGS4

+ Azsori on November 17th, 2007 at 2:29 pm said:

Nice ads, keep it up!

Also I have a great marketing idea for Blu-Ray. If you bought so many PSN games (3-5), you should qualify for a free Blu-Ray. You can track which users qualify through PSN stats, send them a message, and have them fill out the offer entirely from the PS3. This way it is easy for you to verify and easy for users to do.

+ bungleboy on November 17th, 2007 at 2:50 pm said:

Great adds. Finally it’s become about the system and its games rather than some weird marketing campaign that has no connection at all.

These adds would seriously convince me to buy a ps3 (if I didn’t already have one). I’m waiting for them to get to the store so I can show others and convince them.

Will we see the adds in Australia? I don’t think I’ve seen any so far at all. It’s a shame.

+ fuzzysquash on November 17th, 2007 at 2:55 pm said:

Nice. Sony should continue its marketing efforts for MGS4 all the way up until release.

+ KBlade on November 17th, 2007 at 3:00 pm said:

@Nfinity

You can only blame yourself if you’re disappointed with your PS3. You bought it out of your own will, nobody forced you. But now you want to blame Sony for your mistake and you’re coming over all bitter. Don’t you go bringing up the old “I paid $600 for nothing” BS. If there’s nothing on the PS3 you like, then that’s your fault. You should have done more research of you’re splashing out so much.

Sony aren’t misleading anyone with these ads. They state clearly they are coming soon and that’s exactly what they are, coming soon. Like someone said already, MS were advertising their great white hope many months in advance and it’s not just a Sony thing. There’s plenty of great games on PS3 now and coming soon so there’s enough there for new owners to keep them going.

If you don’t want your PS3, sell it and give it to someone who appreciates games, quit your crying but hey, whatever makes you feel better.

Great ads BTW! :)

+ Yoma on November 17th, 2007 at 3:41 pm said:

The second one were pretty cool. It really shows the power and HD of the PS3.

+ Daver on November 17th, 2007 at 4:35 pm said:

Very nice ones!
just a quesiton tho, will you play those ads in Canada? all im seeing here is Xbox ads

+ djroberts on November 17th, 2007 at 5:02 pm said:

Great job guys. Kicking ass.

+ Aluc on November 17th, 2007 at 5:33 pm said:

I really am loving the new commercials that you all at sony marketing have been doing. Keep them coming. Oh, and hopefully the issues with saliva are done with soon, can’t wait to have these commercials on my ps3. Thanks!!

+ sonyfanonly on November 17th, 2007 at 8:16 pm said:

this is the best tecnology since blu ray in PS3 they both have potential but they will take time to take off. So i cant wait till they use full potential of eye they better integrate it farther than the eye of judgment

+ Not0riouS76 on November 18th, 2007 at 12:24 am said:

WE WANT THIS

1. In-Game XMB: allowing us to do the below and much more. (or remove the XMB altogether and give us something better for a nex-gen console, and give us an in-game dashboard, the XMB feels low rate for the PLAYSTATION 3, and you’ve been using it on the PSX, TV’s, PSP, it gets old)
1. Play Custom Soundtrack for games.
2. Access Friends List, Game Invites, Messages
3. Under [Photo], they can add [Take Snapshot]
4. Under [Video], they can add [Record Gameplay].
5. View your active downloads, pause, and resume them.
6. So many possibilities with in-game XMB.
2. Game Invites: allowing us to send eachother game invites cross game.
1. Implement
3. Profile 2.0: meaning, we want things like Entitlements, Gamertags, Clans, things to display who we actually are. Our profiles suck so far. It shows our languages and an about me that nobody ever fills out.
1. Allow us to see the pictures and other profile information of the people under “Players Met”.
2. When in-game and we “click” on a players name, bring up there new profile. Not the game profile, the integrated PS3 profile with all the new features above.
4. REMOVED DUE TO FINDINGS IN 2.00 (Organization of Music, Videos, and Games)
5. PLAYSTATION Network XMB Options: read them below.
1. Allow us to change the icon for the [PLAYSTATION Network] with themes, right now, it doesn’t seem like you can.
2. Add [Entitlements], [IM], and [Game Invites] under [PLAYSTATION Network].
3. Remove friends and add it under [PLAYSTATION Network].
4. Add [Clans] under [Friends].
6. Password Protection: for user accounts.
7. REMOVED DUE TO DIVX COMING TO PS3. (AVI Support for the PLAYSTATION 3)
8. PLAYSTATION Store
1. Replace the PLAYSTATION Store with a new built in program that is not a web page. Like that, when you have to add new stuff, you just drop it in and it will organize and categorize itself.
1. Have text search.
2. Many organization methods.
3. Playable flash games would be nice.
2. Daily Updates: Give us a constant flow of updates for the PLAYSTATION Store, meaning daily videos, content. Basically, make us on par with Xbox Live.
3. Arcade Demos: For every downloadable game, include a demo. Don’t put it under the Demos section. Make it so when you click the game it will show the demo and full game.
4. ORGANIZATION: Make it so you can go to like Game Demos -> New Additions, Genres, Featured, All Demos (alphabetical). Same with add on content. Instead of having it all layed out like that, go to Games » Downloadable Content » Game Name » Select Content.
5. Archive Content: I’ve recently noticed you delete old game videos. Don’t do that, keeping it will an archive.
6. PSone Classics: Give us more PSone classics! We have been receiving games like Jumping Flash, games nobody ever heard of. Where is the good games, such as Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Warhawk, Mega Man Legends?
7. PS2 Downloads: Your competitors are launching downloads for their first console in their new fall update, why not do the same and give us PS2 downloads as well?
9. PLAYSTATION Network
1. Promote the network, have events featuring celebrity gamers, free downloads for the day (like an old arcade game such as Calling All Cars!), official tournaments, and such.
2. Let us set our own PLAYSTATION Network avatar, or add a batch of new avatars every week based on the newest released games and even Sony movies and sponsors.

+ Dew87 on November 18th, 2007 at 3:36 am said:

Great list Not0riouS76, I also want most of those features. I really hope the PSN and XMB development guys read these comments and take our input into their consideration. May be you should e-mail this list to them. Hopefully they will listen to our wishes.

+ symmetricalblue on November 18th, 2007 at 5:30 am said:

is there a reason why the PS3 version of assassin’s creed only goes up to 1080i while the xbxo 360 version goes up to 1080p?

+ AK3515 on November 18th, 2007 at 5:49 am said:

@symmetricalblue you did hear about the guys having RAM troubles on the ps3 version of the game right? that was their fix for it, i really couldnt care less, looks relatively the same. oh wait… i dont have a HDTV anyway…

+ deadxbabiesxinc on November 18th, 2007 at 6:06 am said:

Wow…if these don’t set people up to buy a PS3 cuz of the MGS4 bits….there’s no way anything will lol

+ Xenochaos805 on November 18th, 2007 at 6:31 am said:

Uncharted cam out the 16th in gamestop I have my copy already and its HOT.

+ joel on November 18th, 2007 at 6:35 am said:

@symmetric

The 360 doesnt supprt 1080p at aLL even with HDMI.

Assasins creed only goes up to 720p..

+ RainerLagStyle on November 18th, 2007 at 7:00 am said:

Okay I have to get this off my chest since every TV spot has the same music. Saliva is cool and all, and I really like the way the ads were done in general, but next time, could you guys try to lighten up on the “BOOM DO YOU WANT IT, DO YOU NEED IT” screamfest? It really detracts from the ad’s effect. If the ad was just the talking “Your jaws will be on the floor,” that’d be perfect. But when you’ve got Saliva screaming BOOM! and nothing intense is happening at the exact same time, then they start screaming WAAAH DO YOU WANT IT?! DO YOU NEED IT?! LET ME HEAR IT!.. it doesn’t make sense. And it’s annoying.

Anyway, the ads are exceptionally well-done, I just hate the endings. Maybe just cut to the instruments when they want to start yelling?

And PS, I am a metalhead/rocker/whatever, I just don’t think the screaming fits the type of commercial you’re trying to produce. It needs to be steady, making the whole ad the climax.

that may just be me, though.

+ RainerLagStyle on November 18th, 2007 at 7:03 am said:

Oh, and I got my copy of Uncharted yesterday (thank FSM I reserved it, there were, like, 50 people in that GameStop) and this game is MAG-F*’ing-NIFICENT. DO WANT.

If you haven’t played Uncharted yet, please, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Also, it’s not “just an 8-hour adventure” like I’ve heard from some reviews; I played from 2:00pm to 9:30pm and I’m only on Chapter 10, I’ve no idea how many more chapters there are, but the game is extremely difficult and definitely has replay value. It’s more like 40+ hours, thanks.

+1 for Naughty Dog, I will now officially salivate over any game they release from this point forward.

+ RobinNL on November 18th, 2007 at 7:29 am said:

awesome ads.

Haze is a exclusive now right? now just timed.

+ Vergency on November 18th, 2007 at 8:57 am said:

Nice ads. Can’t wait to dowload them.

+ Mort on November 18th, 2007 at 10:48 am said:

Kim,

The ads are really great, I couldn’t stop watching them when they first came out, and I can’t wait to download them from PSN.

I would like to thank you for letting us know that the ads were being held up because of legal issues. That really helps us all understand why they aren’t up for download yet.

This is exactly how Sony should handle this type of situation – just communicate to us what the situation is, if there is a good reason we will all understand. The same could be said for in game XMB / Messaging. Why not tell us why there us a delay? Is it because you can’t do it, and you don’t want people to find out before the important holiday selling cycle? I seriously doubt that this is the case, but unless you tell us when it is coming we will all begin to think the worst.

The hugely negative (and somewhat immature in some cases) reactions to the 2.0 firmware update could have easily been avoided if Sony had just told us why it (in game XMB) wasn’t in there, and when we could expect to see it.

If it’s because you are going to put it in Home, tell us! If Home is delayed for some reason (which we all know it is), then tell us!

Other than that – keep up the good work. I am so happy with my PS3 and I know that Sony will do us all proud.

+ Malpractice on November 18th, 2007 at 11:05 am said:

I don’t know what happened, but Sony’s advertising has been thoroughly improved. Keep up the good work.

+ pistolgrip on November 18th, 2007 at 12:20 pm said:

beautiful. I am glad you guys are really starting to realize how important marketing third party games games on the system is. 10/10

Now where is my damn Uncharted Commercial. The game is already out and I havent seen a thing !!!! Are you waiting for xmas day to show it off!?

+ crazyeighty8 on November 18th, 2007 at 12:23 pm said:

@ Joel

what, are you sure the 360elite dont do 1080p?. It must do. I know Halo3 has all the bells & whistles-(english slang!). i.e 1080p, 60fpsec, 7.1 surround i checked the box.

+ frito on November 18th, 2007 at 12:30 pm said:

Halo3 is actually less than 720 p!!!! lol!!!

google it! it’s true!

+ geosautus on November 18th, 2007 at 1:20 pm said:

You need to show these commercials in Europe. The ones that are playing here now (This is living crap with a dog) are horrible. These new americans almost make me want to buy another PS3, they’re really great.

+ blizzard182 on November 18th, 2007 at 1:26 pm said:

@crazyeighty8

It does but not natively. You need HDMI and a scaler.

Halo 3 runs at that speed but not at 60fps. It suffers big time. Google it.

And about the 720p on Halo 3, nice finding. I wont go much far in here because it is not the place but search around. There is a pretty nice article which brings the other console a little down.

+ burto88 on November 18th, 2007 at 2:17 pm said:

@160

As they said, these need to be shown in Britain/Europe. I was sat in the cinema once when one of those ‘this is living’ adverts came on, with the exploding house etc. After it finished I heard about a dozen people around me asking what the hell that was all about. A poor job if no one actually knows what is getting advertised. Great job on these ones!!

+ Kedaro on November 18th, 2007 at 5:00 pm said:

ok great, I love what you all are doing with advertising lately, but just out of curiousity, do you plan on signing more than one band to do the ads?

+ symmetricalblue on November 18th, 2007 at 5:36 pm said:

@joel

are you sure? my friend got assassin’s creed for his 360 and it runs at 1080p. we both have the same tv and i’m wondering which version to get. i would have thought the ps3 since the hardware is more advanced than the 360, but i’d rather get the 1080p version since i can tell the difference on my tv. i don’t think the ps3 will upscale it (uncharted outputs only up to 720p when i play it).

+ P_tear_griffin on November 18th, 2007 at 7:03 pm said:

@ symmetricalblue & others: Both PS3 and 360 are able to output at 1080p. Their respective disc format, however, make the difference of whether the resolution will be native or upscaled. The only plausible ways for the 360 to provide native 720p and above without compromising DVD space is to compress the data and have it installed in the HDD or by simply putting a game in multiple discs. Most of teh games run at 720p or lower and then get upscaled. The PS3 is guilty of doing this too. Native, theoretically, should give you a better quality than upscaling.

In regards to the ads: great job.. oh, and I just saw the Uncharted ad on Fox… SWEET!

+ FFObsessed on November 18th, 2007 at 7:54 pm said:

Wow! Those are amazing! I wish we got those in England instead of the “This is Living” ads.

Are there going to be any Uncharted TV spots? That game needs some marketing, it deserves it, it’s such an amazing game.