PS4 - Transistor

Firmware Update (v2.01)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 19, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

The latest System Software Update is now ready for download for the PLAYSTATION 3. Here are the details of what this firmware accomplishes:

• Stability during playing some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

• Stability of System Software including Internet Browser and Information Board has been improved.

• Stability of the upscaler for PlayStation 2 format software has been improved. (Playability of PlayStation 2 depends on model)

• [Remote Start] feature is changed to avoid unintended power on.

As always, we’re continually evaluating and improving your PLAYSTATION 3 experience. We will continue to share similar updates like this on the blog, so keep an eye out. Thanks for your ongoing feedback!

434 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 9

+ Jeigh on November 19th, 2007 at 11:24 pm said:

Please with the removing of the spammers. Maybe registration needs to go a little more in-depth so people can’t just create accounts on the fly to spam. And people, stop being such utter tools. Your “In Game XMB” will get here when it gets here. It’s getting old and it’s getting annoying. People complain that the staff doesn’t post responses in here, but I wouldn’t want to come in here either, let alone respond to all of this nagging and whining. It’s like a collection of third graders.

+ CoeusTitan on November 19th, 2007 at 11:26 pm said:

DankandSticky, don’t get personal. I don’t know you, nor do I wish to.

Uncharted is not the best game ever made; that statement is shallow and short-sighted.

If I could sit down and have a face-to-face talk with Eric Lempel, I would.

Sony needs to get off its pompous high horse and stop thinking that its brand name will win everyone over this time around.

Well…it won’t. They’ve got to prove themselves again.

They’ve used a bait & hook strategy so far and it’s not right. It’s downright shameful.

+ Jeigh on November 19th, 2007 at 11:27 pm said:

And thanks to all of those working on these updates. Your efforts are at least appreciated by me.

+ greg1184 on November 19th, 2007 at 11:27 pm said:

Spamming “In Game XMB” is just going to get you ignored.

+ brownjugundo1 on November 19th, 2007 at 11:29 pm said:

What the hell did u guys do,damn u sony why why. 2.00 was good to me my ps2 games had no black bars full screen. It now got them back i had no problems only remote play on and off. 42 inch philips lcd 42pf7421d/37 anyone else had this happen to them. 60 gig ps3 U.S.A.

+ Jezer29 on November 19th, 2007 at 11:38 pm said:

I welcome the next FW.. Even if its not really dont anything that much for me.. So FW doesnt include the Divx playback yet right??? Hopefully we get some good stuff today in the PSN store..

+ Naustradamus on November 19th, 2007 at 11:41 pm said:

All I care about for an update as of right now is simply a fix. Tversity (a home media server) now cuts off video’s part way threw because a limit was set on the file sizes. The trans coding process isn’t the most efficient process out there, so though the quality of the video stays the same … the file size as reported to the PS3 is huge! Because of that, the service itself is useless, and I am not going to take the extra time to incode all these video’s into mp4/etc. Pls address this issue cause doing otherwise would be a waste of time and hard drive space.

+ CoeusTitan on November 19th, 2007 at 11:43 pm said:

No divx yet….hopefully soon though.

Maybe by the time my 21st birthday rolls around (Jan. 24th) we’ll have divx, universal in-game messaging w/invites, and home in its open beta stage.

If it’s not…oh well…I’ll have to rely on Call of Duty 4 to keep me going!

PSN ID: CoeusTitan

+ Jezer29 on November 19th, 2007 at 11:44 pm said:

@ Naustradamus.. I be having the same problem too.. What program do you use to incode??

+ djroberts on November 19th, 2007 at 11:45 pm said:

Can you at least tell us if this fixes Assassin’s Creed?

+ vegavnil on November 19th, 2007 at 11:49 pm said:

Great update guys! We really needed a little stabilityfix! Keep it up!

+ nysosym on November 19th, 2007 at 11:51 pm said:

Thx for this great update!
Hope to see more in the next time!

+ gue-xplicit on November 19th, 2007 at 11:53 pm said:

Going to DL it now….thanks for the update…

+ Naustradamus on November 19th, 2007 at 11:58 pm said:

@ Jezer29 – #65

To incode vids, I use PS3 video 9 from http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

… and I’ve just tried it … the issue with Tversity does seem to be fixed. I guess it was simply the video I tested the first time … I’m happy again! lol

If anyone here would like to use the media server functionality of the Ps3 of PC vids/pic/ music … go check it out at http://tversity.com/ you will not be dissapointed. It allows various media files to be shown on the Ps3 .. avi, mkv, omg, png, etc.

+ pinhead666 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:02 am said:

@Evilempire951 yes its normal that green light is ur wifi light and it stays on so ur PSP can connect to ur PS3 if its off ur PS3 has no wifi signal and ur PSP can not connect for remote play

AND 4 EVERYONE ELSE ASKING IF IT FIX AC, IT DOES NOT CUZ IT ALSO LOCKS UP ON MY FRIENDS 360 JUST LIKE IT DOES ON MY PS3 SO UBISOFT HAS TO FIX IT AND PUT OUT AN UPDATE FOR IT NOT SONY, AND THE IN GAME XMB PEOPLE U NEED TO GROW THE FU@K UP THEY NOW U WANT THERE WORKING ON IT SO JUST FN CHILL OUT

+ Naustradamus on November 20th, 2007 at 12:05 am said:

@Jezer29 – #65

for incoding vids, I use PS3 Video 9 … easy to use, and also gets you pretty good quality. Only thing better then that would cost money … so its an easy choice for me lol

As for Tversity … I just finished testing it yet again .. and it seems that the issue has been fixed! it now plays video all the way threw! Some people on the Tversity forums even noted that in there test, some sound issues had been address as well.

If you want to watch any/all videos you have on your pc threw your PS3 … now’s the time to get Tversity :P

+ rothgar on November 20th, 2007 at 12:06 am said:

I would really like to see the ability to have optical and av stereo on at the same time. I don’t like to HAVE to have my receiver on if I want to play ps3 with sound. And changing it back and forth is too confusing for the wife.

these two would be nice too
- Support for divx/xvid
- Support for the avi and .mkv file formats

+ Aluc on November 20th, 2007 at 12:11 am said:

That’s a nice update. Basically a bug fix update which isn’t bad at all. At least you guys are updating that stuff. Anyway, I was wondering what’s in store for the psn store tomorrow.

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:12 am said:

Divx is coming soon, rothgar. That’s already been confirmed. (We’ve got the WHAT, but not the WHEN, like always, eh……)

Oh and can you guys PLEASE start spelling “encode” correctly?

Seeing it as “incode” is any longer is going to make my head explode.

=\

+ RatchetFanatic on November 20th, 2007 at 12:13 am said:

Uncharted only got 8/10 from GameSpot. When will a true PS3 AAA game come out?

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:14 am said:

@ 73….you mean the day after tomorrow.

Thursdays, buddy.

Thursdays.

+ Sentry23 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:16 am said:

@Nastradamus : I see you picked up on the Tversity fix.
But, am I the only one that can report that streaming MP4 is having issues, by going up to 100% bandwidth usage after about half a minute ? (if you press select, you can actually see the speed in Mbps of the avc suddenly jumping to 30-40 Mbit, causing hickups, even when the average bitrate of the video is around 6-8 Mbit.)
(it seems like some high/low-water marker is messing up on the buffer).

+ teflon on November 20th, 2007 at 12:18 am said:

Thank you for the 2.01 update.

I purchased my 80GB PS3 last week and I have had both Assassin’s Creed and Uncharted lock up on me and I was constantly being signed out of the PSN store. I certainly hope this update increases the stability of my PS3. I would also like to know why Gran Turismo 4 hasn’t worked on my 80GB PS3 since the 2.00 update.

Thank you.

+ pinhead666 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:22 am said:

@76 there updating the store on tue. cuz thur is thanksgiving they had a post about it on here the other day about it

+ K17020 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:23 am said:

When will we have a in game XMB as well as support for other types of media files
and it would also be nice to have an video as a background or something

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:26 am said:

The 80GB PS3 does not include the Emotion Engine PS2 chip that the 60GB model has.

THe 80GB PS3 can only achieve SOFTWARE backwards compatibility, which is not nearly as able as HARDWARE b.c.

I know that on the box for the 80GB it says somewhere that it has LIMITED (key operator, there) backwards compatibility with playstation 2 format software.

Here’s a couple of links to help you out.

The second link provides us with the ability to see if a game will work on our specific model PS3, and if it works, how well it works.

Hope that helps.

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:27 am said:

Oh yeah…holidays always throw me off…my bad =\

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:32 am said:

@ 78

us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

engadget.com/2007/07/10/80gb-ps3-takes-a-step-back-on-backwards-compatibility/

That first link is a compatibility checker for whatever model PS3 you have.

The second link talks about backwards compatibility differences in the 80GB version.

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:33 am said:

Wow…somebody needs a watch…

@ 82

=\

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:34 am said:

@84

Dude…devise a better way to communicate.

That right there is as bad as having to filter through spam e-mail.

+ pinhead666 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:35 am said:

@81 its ok my comment kinda seemed like i was being a smart A$$ and im sorry fot it, its just that im sick with the flu and i dont get off work till 8am @82 i agree with u also

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:39 am said:

This is what sony compatibility checker says for Gran Turismo 4 on 80GB PS3:

Gran Turismo 4
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Product No: SCUS-97328

Description: At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs. (freezes)
___________________________________

This is what it says for the 60GB version (which has ps2 chip inside)

Gran Turismo 4
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Product No: SCUS-97328

Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 1.80: When the title is left inactive on the Main menu, the title hangs on a black screen at a random time.

ALL CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN RESOLVED ON PS3 SYSTEM SOFTWARE VERSION 1.81

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:41 am said:

The last part in caps referring to the 60GB sku, of course.

+ edwineverready on November 20th, 2007 at 12:43 am said:

i don’t know if it is because of the new update, but i can’t connect my headset anymore. worked just fine seconds before the new update.

+ puppydg68 on November 20th, 2007 at 12:43 am said:

Thanks! you fixed the 2 GB Streaming limit for video. I can watch my HD again!

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:45 am said:

If it’s bluetooth, you might need to re register it.

+ Rigs on November 20th, 2007 at 12:50 am said:

Is it going to be available to download off the Sony site soon?

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 12:57 am said:

They always lag behind in updating the website to reflect an new firmware that’s been released.

Just wait a bit.

+ crickett on November 20th, 2007 at 12:59 am said:

this is for everyone I was just about ready to go out and buy ps3 for my cristmas gift. but with all the negetive comments i have read here do you all think it is worth the price tag ??? the WII is a heck of alot cheaper I am a loyal playstation fan but new systems that freeze on all these new games what the heck is going on. please give me your honest opinion. are the graphics and game play worth the price tag? or am I just buying a name . also what is the best size to buy 40- 60- 80 what models have the least amount of trouble. please gentlmen give me your honest opinion best regards CRICKETT

+ Xenokai on November 20th, 2007 at 1:02 am said:

This did not fix the streaming issue. Most my video files dont play but for 5 secs. fix it pleeeeease!!!!!!

+ EVILEMPIRE951 on November 20th, 2007 at 1:06 am said:

crikett no models have trouble they all have the same board lol just smaller hd or bigger bro :-0 if i was you get the 40 gb and upgrade the hd or get the 80 gb @ wal mart and get a deal 15 bluray movies for free ;-)

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:07 am said:

Get the 60GB model, it’s the best that money can buy.

The hard drive size doesn’t matter…you can put any laptop hdd in there that you want to.

The 60GB is the one that Sony loses all the money on, because it has the most features crammed into it.

And since it will be gone soon…you should get it while you can!

Yes, it is worth it.

Yes, great games are coming out for it, and you will see things on PS3 that will put the 360 and Wii to shame.

I regretted selling my PS3 the first time I bought one.

I went through 4 360s that broke in succession, and the Wii is way too juvenile and non-gamerish for me.

Many xbox websites are now admitting that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360….strangely enough.

I think this is the start of a new trend…with Haze, MGS 4, Uncharted…Home, little big planet….stuff you wont see anywhere else!

Unreal Tournament III on PS3 will also support USB mouse and keyboard use, and you can transfer mod content from PC users onto your HDD for in-game use!

The PS3 has major potential, and the snowball effect is beginning.

Now if Sony could only speed things up and add some fuel to the fire to facilitate these amazing things to come.

It’s worth it!

(the 60GB will give you the least amount of trouble, because it has EVERYTHING the other versions lack)

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:12 am said:

@ 97 PLEASE DO NOT MISINFORM HIM!!!!!

Crickett, the different versions do NOT have the same motherboard as evilempire says….that’s not true.

All the different versions (40, 60, 80) have completely different extras

40 GB only has 2 usb ports compared to 4
and it can’t play ps2 games due to the lack of legacy ps2 hardware inside.

the 60GB has near full ps2 library compatibility due to the fact of legacy ps2 hardware installed inside and 4 usb ports.

the 80GB has reduced compatility with ps2 games due to the fact that it uses emulation programs to run ps2 games….which doesn’t work as well.

Get the 60GB while you can!

Welcome to next generation of gaming, dude!

+ Nathan Hale on November 20th, 2007 at 1:19 am said:

After firmware update, I am having problem with Call of Duty 4. I keep getting error message of, DW update file error 102 – ‘BD_EXCEPTION_IN_DB’

I don’t know what the hell this is, but this annoys me that I can’t use my create a class. Sony please fix this issue. I don’t care that you have release another firmware update. :(

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:21 am said:

Oh and if you want some encouragement…research killzone 2′s lighting engine.

Geurilla Games renders their characers in-game with so many polygons, that they don’t even have to use bump-mapping to get crazy-good detail! (don’t forget, that the thing developers do nowadays to achieve detailed models is to render low-polygon characters with LOTS OF TEXTURE RENDER PASSES…with lots and lots and lots of polygons….that’s REAL detail…not FAKE detail.

Lighting is what makes games look good. Call it superficial if you want, but….it’s true. You can have the best specular mapping and normal / bump mapping in the world, but if you can’t light the world properly…it’ll all look like a big pile of dookie!

Crickett…I will have you know that the PS3 will soon wipe away any bad notions you had towards its graphics ability.

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:23 am said:

the REAL detail part applies to the lots of polygons part.

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:26 am said:

FAKE detail applies to the texture passes part.

They are taking advantage of the Cell processor and rendering lots of polygons….that’s CPU intensive…and creating less of a need for lots of texture passes…therefore freeing up memory for the kick-ass lighting engine!

+ pinhead666 on November 20th, 2007 at 1:29 am said:

@95 yeah i would try and get the 60GB if u can still get it i had mine for a year and i never had any prob. with mine it never locked up on me it never glitch on me. too me its worth every penny! and it makes a great BD player! I think the 360 is 349 bucks and the HD-DVD player for the 360 i think is still 199 bucks im not sure though. and the Wii i get sick of play’n it like into 30mins of play’n it my Wii gets more dust time then play’n time thats y im selling it to my friends little bro!

+ CoeusTitan on November 20th, 2007 at 1:31 am said:

the hd dvd is 179 now, but not much of a difference…stupid licensed microsoft accesories…..don’t even get me started on THAT….ugh

+ crickett on November 20th, 2007 at 1:37 am said:

thanks’ guys as far as I can understand my best but would be a 60 gig due to ps2 player because 80 gig wont play alot of my ps2 games which i have alot of are you sure the 80 gig wont play them also

PAGE 1 2 3 4 9