Minecraft PS4

Introducing the PLAYSTATION Store for PC

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 20, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

I’m excited to share some breaking news with you, our loyal PlayStation.Blog readers. In his last post, Peter Dille promised a major focus on the PLAYSTATION Network and exclusive gaming content available on the PLAYSTATION Store. Today, we take the next step in its continued evolution.

The PLAYSTATION Store for the PC is a free service that allows PSP owners to access a new world of gaming and entertainment content through the PLAYSTATION Network. Best of all, this new service lets PSP users establish a PLAYSTATION Network account and purchase content directly from the PlayStation Store for the PC.

The new PlayStation Store for the PC marks the first time that we’ve made the PLAYSTATION Network accessible to the millions of PSP owners who don’t own a PLAYSTATION 3. PSP owners can now use their existing or newly created PLAYSTATION Network account to access a variety of free content including the latest demos of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike, the latest addition to the popular SOCOM franchise and Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow, the highly anticipated sequel to Gabe Logan’s Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror for the PSP.

In addition to regularly expanding access to our library of new PSP games, we will be releasing titles that will be available only from the PLAYSTATION Store, including: Syphon Filter: Combat Ops, the next installation in the Syphon Filter franchise.

PS one® Classic titles will be available from Day 1 on the PlayStation Store for the PC including favorites such as WipEout and Crash Bandicoot, with many more on the way. PLAYSTATION Store for the PC users will also find add-on game content, trailers for forthcoming titles, promotional videos and PSP themes.

To access the PLAYSTATION Store via your PC, simply visit http://store.playstation.com and follow the on-screen instructions. We know that you will probably have questions, so we’ve created this video demonstrating the flow of the Store.

We appreciate your continued support of the PSP, PS3 and PLAYSTATION Network and look forward to announcing the availability of exciting new game titles and entertainment content for the PLAYSTATION Store for the PC in the near future.

Thanks and have fun with the new Store!

168 Comments

+ Gotchasam on November 20th, 2007 at 6:46 pm said:

Thats Awesome!!

+ DarkUSS on November 20th, 2007 at 6:54 pm said:

@31 – Solace

“You really think that that’s gonna keep this place from turning into a whinery? lol….”

Well, not exactly there are some people who will always whine no matter what. ;)

+ TwoBlack4America on November 20th, 2007 at 6:57 pm said:

The site looks great.I’m downloading stuff as we speak.

Thanks for the Thanksgiving gift!!

+ Mr_Bob on November 20th, 2007 at 7:04 pm said:

Mac support?
Everything is great but the store doesnt work with mac. =(

+ Mr_Pickle on November 20th, 2007 at 7:08 pm said:

You guys need a PC PS3 Store. It would be great if I could download the ps3 demos on the uni pcs so it doesn’t count towards my download limit at home.

+ Herby on November 20th, 2007 at 7:45 pm said:

Awesome looking forward to see what new exclusive games come to the PSP through the PC store only. Hopefully, you guys can tap some small developers like Jonathan Mak.

+ avion on November 20th, 2007 at 7:50 pm said:

Oh my, Sony, you sure know how to alienate your customers. I can imagine a meeting in Sony’s HQ:

Who do we need to alienate today…
Mac users, Check.
Linux users, Check.

Have you heard about Java? Write once, run anywhere?

+ scorpio on November 20th, 2007 at 7:50 pm said:

Awesome…………just awesome…..

Great Service…

+ crazypenguin on November 20th, 2007 at 8:05 pm said:

seriously, i’m sick of everything only being for pc, what about mac users? i personally really dislike microsoft, because their OS bugs the heck out of me, and their systems annoys me, i like the nintendo wiif and the ps3, but just not the xbox, so can you instead of be only on microsofts side, which is sort of your rival anyway, also be with the macs? that way your supporting both and don’t look like losers only supporting one os and that os is the company of which is causing the ps3 sales failures?

+ Shiloa on November 20th, 2007 at 8:10 pm said:

Great update but the stupid [euro] site rejects my card for no reason. =(

+ gardea on November 20th, 2007 at 8:24 pm said:

Finally, but it’d be nice if it had an icon on the XMB

+ bhu11 on November 20th, 2007 at 8:58 pm said:

yall should really make your ps3 friends list available on pc I hate when I can’t check my messages because IM not with my ps3
seems simple just make a wed site copy the passwords and make a new login on the site then leave the rest to us

+ D_A_K on November 20th, 2007 at 9:22 pm said:

Maybe one of the staff can see and respond to the comments; I know it’s been said up there before but, is there any reason you chose to use a proprietary format and lock out mac and linux users? It would have been so easy to completely avoid the issue and use another method but instead you use an ass-backwards system that locks us all out. That’s definitely a big kick in the balls as far as I’m concerned.

+ Gunwing on November 20th, 2007 at 9:33 pm said:

This is Sweet! BTW we need new non UMD PSP full games to DL! I think the 4GIG and 8GIG memory sticks are going to be in high damand from now on. I mean This is makeing the PSP, and PS3 two of the best systems you can buy for quality gameing, as well as killer games at good price tags! I mean now we only have to pay 6.99 for most of these PSone games and they have never been touched when we get them!

Thats like getting a PSone game back in the old days used for $15.99 from FuncoLand back when they were starting to give you bad discounts on your old games, and systems. This is way better as there is no more fumbleing with CDs, and no chance of a bad game disc as it dose not come with one!

Agian nice job Sony! You rock!

Also:

Please add the fallowing games for the PSP Store as demos:

Wipeout: Pure
AceCombat:X Skys of Deception
Daxter
Jeane D’Arc
Killzone: Liberation
NBA: 08
Madden: NFL 08

Also any chance we can get full PSP movies to DL? As well as Music? Of course we need more themes!

I also think there should be a nice how too on the PSP Store so we can get all the info we need in a quick walkthrough not this huge video we have right now.

+ RoAcH2285 on November 20th, 2007 at 10:09 pm said:

By mistake I picked the wrong region.Can someone help me get it to the US region.Now it always goes to the Japan store and I can’t choose a region.HELP!

+ kurtkbee on November 20th, 2007 at 11:12 pm said:

Mac support !!!
Since i do not have a windows PC for games i mainly use my Mac, is it possible to get OSX support ?

+ radpanic on November 20th, 2007 at 11:25 pm said:

I can’t believe there is NO MAC SUPPORT! Atleast give us direct to PSP downloads. Please!

+ scorpio on November 20th, 2007 at 11:35 pm said:

Ahh to bad MAC users… LOL

Working great on my PC!!!!

+ tmax on November 20th, 2007 at 11:59 pm said:

Why do you do this SONY? Are your staff and PR people that naive to understand that people with MAC and Linux computers also own PSP’s

Why this discrimination against MAC and Linux users?

This is really getting frustrating. Can you at least reply to our comments.

+ Elimin8 on November 21st, 2007 at 12:01 am said:

I just have two questions
1. Why isn’t mac supported for use with ps store
2. why does it say the store is accessible through pc for those who don’t have a ps3 when you can’t download themes through the ps3 for psp anyway.
if anyone knows how to access psp content such as themes through ps3 please let me know…….thank yo.

+ NielsR on November 21st, 2007 at 12:51 am said:

Shame on you Sony! The Belgian store only exists of a French version… Ever heard about the Flemish (Dutch) and German part of Belgiums population… And even better: the Flemish population is bigger than the French one, so how do you guys always think that Belgians are French speaking????

Hope this get fixed real soon!!!!

Same was with the launch of the PS3 store!

+ scroll1 on November 21st, 2007 at 2:49 am said:

It is a real disaster not to have Mac support, another eager purchaser lost here….
Please allow for OSX and for that matter Linux downloads.
thank you!

+ lagerblad on November 21st, 2007 at 4:22 am said:

Why is the PC-version so much nicer than the ps3-version?

+ ghamdikh1 on November 21st, 2007 at 4:32 am said:

Great Job Sony all you have to do now is:
1-add more PLAYSTATION Stors for a other contras.
2-expand the content of the stors.
3-make the PS Store available in other oprinting systems (Mac & Linux……..)

+ fxgeek on November 21st, 2007 at 5:23 am said:

Given the recent exponential climb in popularity of the Mac, you really need to offer a mac compatible service also, and someone needs to at least make some kind of comment regarding mac support. The days are gone when a company can just ignore the mac users segment of their customer base, especially with Apple now the third largest computer retailer in the US alone.

It would really be a shame if Sony continued to ignore it’s mac owning customers many of whom are ardent playstation fans.

+ DanB91 on November 21st, 2007 at 7:46 am said:

i suggest everyone who wants mac support to e-mail sony!!!!

the reason why lempel is not replying to our comments better be that he’s talking to sony about a mac version

+ L3371 on November 21st, 2007 at 8:11 am said:

We finally got what Japan has had for a good long while.
I have been wanting to access this, but could not from america.

+ Scar28fo on November 21st, 2007 at 9:09 am said:

not bad. one thing im waiting for is the playstationetwork card.when is that coming out?

+ Nomadski on November 21st, 2007 at 10:26 am said:

MoHo for PSP!

+ MrCamo on November 21st, 2007 at 10:55 am said:

@76 You need to contact Sony and have them make the change. Once you have selected a region you cannot chamge it back. Be sure to download the GT5 Prolouge Demo before you change your user!! You can create a new user with a different E-mail account so you cn access both stores, which is what i did.

+ Sora57 on November 21st, 2007 at 11:38 am said:

This is great news for the PSP. I downloaded the Cookies Theme. Sweet!

+ Neil on November 21st, 2007 at 11:57 am said:

This is pretty sweet, thanks!

+ Demitriw on November 21st, 2007 at 1:52 pm said:

i still want Mac OS X support!

+ blahblahbloo on November 21st, 2007 at 3:41 pm said:

Granted, I’m not that upset about the absence of Mac OS X support, since I also have a PS3. But yeah. Macs are getting more and more important these days, so the PSP should support them.

+ crazypenguin on November 21st, 2007 at 4:16 pm said:

MAC OS, NOW, i swear sony, you are getting on my bad side, you wonder why you lose customers, please try to at least make us, mac users, happy by just making a mirrored program for mac, ok? i would very much appreciate it if sony gave actual evidence that they know mac users are unsatisfied.

+ tsn323 on November 21st, 2007 at 4:19 pm said:

i want gran turismo ps one now on psp

+ tsn323 on November 21st, 2007 at 4:22 pm said:

sony r pissing every1 off. where is all the ps one games for psp. probably after 5yrs

+ IceCold on November 21st, 2007 at 5:28 pm said:

PSP will finally be a big hit when you make ps2 game available for them. Now, only if the PSP had two trigger buttons and two analog sticks.

+ Lp47 on November 21st, 2007 at 5:38 pm said:

I love this!!! Ironically yesterday i was on the playstation site, trying to get a demo for my psp. But it wasnt working out, then this came out and i wasnt expecting it. It’s easy to use and much appreciated. The PSP store works awesome and im very thankful, Thanks again SONY. Hey MS sony has no online huh pffft.

+ jazzagers on November 21st, 2007 at 6:47 pm said:

Well I’m glad there is a way to get awesome downloadable content from Sony but I gotta say you guys gotta get some mac support for this thing. How dissapointing.

+ bowman_snowman on November 22nd, 2007 at 2:17 am said:

yeah for real. this looks dope and all, and I like how it’s the same account as the PS3 network, so you can see all your PS3 downloads as well. But seriously, OSX??????????? I’ve read a bunch of comments asking for MAC support, so obviously it’s a big issue. I’ve always supported sony over microsoft and the xbox, so please, as a proud mac user, i’m just asking for you guys to show us some support as well.

+ Cesar on November 22nd, 2007 at 2:12 pm said:

I have a ps3 and i live on the U.S. so everything we getting on the PC Website we still going to get it on the PS3 network?

+ Elimin8 on November 22nd, 2007 at 2:25 pm said:

Sony you’re killing me slowly…..but surely show some mac osx love ”psp store and themes creator pack”

+ dayz on November 22nd, 2007 at 2:45 pm said:

i can’t get the browser to open on my PSP and i dont know where to save the stuff so that i can open it on my psp =(

+ superdude on November 22nd, 2007 at 7:41 pm said:

Please make a Wipeout pulse demo, or maybe the full game! oh and PLEASE RELEASE THOSE PS CARDS! I WANNA DOWNLOAD SOME STUFF!!

+ LocoKing on November 23rd, 2007 at 12:15 am said:

Wow Combat OpS OMG!!! :O

+ denny1969 on November 23rd, 2007 at 12:18 pm said:

Thanks Sony, Now my GT4 will not work on my PS3!!!

+ mallow on November 24th, 2007 at 9:20 am said:

Hi, I`m an ubuntu linux user and only because of that I can`t use the PSP Store? Don`t you think that this is unfair? Is there some sort of Sony-Microsoft agreement we don`t know? I really need to buy Windows to buy PSP games? Or maybe I also need a Xbox console? That`s silly. PSP has got a WiFi card. Why won`t you let people download content directly onto PSP? Or if you really don`t want that, why not using Java? Everybody would be happy then. Linux and Mac gamers wouldn`t be discriminated and Sony will earn more money. There really are a lot of PSP gamers with OSX or Linux. I don`t like Windows. I use linux to work and when I want to play I turn my PSP on. I repeat – why can`t I use the PSP Store? I`m not the only one with such problem. Please, Sony do something about it. Please respect all your clients, all the gamers.

+ crystalx3d on November 25th, 2007 at 6:34 pm said:

The Mac and Linux trolls need to stop their whining. The store has only been online for 5 days, jeez give sony a break. They aren’t going to delay the online store until they have full support for all platforms just to make it fair for everyone. And if you’re such a hard core linux user and you’ve never heard of Wine, then you’re a moron. And if you mac users really want it so bad, go out and get Parallels Desktop. Do you realize how many really neat programs get released for linux that NEVER get ported to windows? The majority of computers in the world run windows, so it’s no wonder sony would focus on them first.

Granted, it would be ideal if the store could be accessed directly through the psp, but my guess is that there is some sort of DRM that still needs to be implemented into the firmware before that can happen. Just be thankful that you can now get psOne games on your psp without a ps3.

+ Trioptical on November 25th, 2007 at 8:23 pm said:

I think at least one other person has mentioned this, but why are the videos on the store not the resolution of the PSP screen? It’s been great to get HD trailers on the PS3 Playstation Store; the PSP deserves to get videos of a befitting quality as well.