PS4-Infamous

Bring the PAIN – Thursday

Jason Coker's Avatar + Posted by Jason Coker on Nov 27, 2007 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Hey, all. My name is Jason Coker, and I am the Associate Producer on the PS3 PSN title PAIN.

When people ask me, “Hey Coker, what project are you working on?” I reluctantly tell them that it’s PAIN. I say “reluctantly” because I have found that it’s pretty much impossible to do the game justice without actually having it right in front of someone to show it to them. Sure, I tell people that it’s a crazy game in which you launch a character from a giant slingshot into a downtown area and smash him into stuff and blow stuff up and you snatch Mimes out of the air so you can slam them through plate glass windows and you blast monkeys out the side of a building in an attempt to stop another player’s character from successfully crashing into bowling pins and you can play as a dude named Ed in a cow suit and so on and so on…

[catches breath]

…but it’s actually a lot more than that. Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you exactly what because it’s too impossibly fun to put into words. You’ll have to try it for yourselves, and you definitely won’t be disappointed.

What I CAN tell you is that it has been a blast to work on. It hasn’t been easy, but it sure has been hilarious. Here are just a couple of the gems I’ve heard (or said):

* “Coker, can you write up a description of a little person hip-hop pirate right quick?” (Yeah, I had the same reaction. You’ll see.)

* “Ummmm….who did the voice-over for that? That’s nasty.”

* “Hey man, if I get you a big glass of water, can you step into the recording booth and belch for about half an hour?”

* “Check the Leaderboards, Son. Spank. The. Monkey.”

* “Dude, I just really don’t think the farts are loud enough.”

* “Did you just grab that Granny by her head? Do it again! Do it again!”

* “That’s him right there. We call him the Ooch Master. He can’t be touched.” (You know who you are at Idol Minds, and I’m coming for you. The student has become the Master, baby!)

* “OH, *&%*!! THAT *^&%*#@ DONUT!!!!!!”

And that was just in one afternoon.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you about PAIN is that the game is really what you make of it. There is sometimes this misconception that it’s this cool experiment in physics that’s fun to watch. Hardly, it’s much, much more.

Fact is, I’ve been working on this game for quite a few moons, and I’m STILL finding new things to do and new trash to talk (I’m quite the PAIN Bowler, and I EARN my trash-talking rights, thank you very much).

Check it out when it hits PSN, and if you want some multiplayer action, come see me. You bring the Kool-Aid, and I’ll bring the PAIN!

In the meantime, check out the OFFICIAL PAIN SITE to stay hip to the world of PAIN.

143 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ darkiewonder on November 27th, 2007 at 1:15 pm said:

Pain is going to kick butt.

Gonna get the PSN game!

+ BEMO-844 on November 27th, 2007 at 1:18 pm said:

I can’t wait. I will be buying two games this week, High Velocity Bowling and Pain.

Will there be a demo for it? I’m buying it either way, just curious.

+ Jezer29 on November 27th, 2007 at 1:20 pm said:

This game looks good.. Not some IP with a major story.. More like a fun game that you can get laughs out of with your friends.. Hope it really takes off..

+ Solace on November 27th, 2007 at 1:21 pm said:

Great news.
I’m having friends over this weekend and can’t wait to show them this.
Perfect timing.

+ ajay_2606 on November 27th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

Hi, was jus wondering if there would be any chance in the future to use playsation HOME avatars in the game?

+ leetfoo on November 27th, 2007 at 1:24 pm said:

Pain looks awesome, especially since it supports 1080 output. Can’t wait to pick it up thursday!

+ njpunk24 on November 27th, 2007 at 1:25 pm said:

Didn’t they say HV Bowling would be out last Thursday too?

+ chase on November 27th, 2007 at 1:32 pm said:

will this game have custom sound track

+ grooveska on November 27th, 2007 at 1:37 pm said:

Yeah for PAIN! Can’t wait to play this game.

+ joel on November 27th, 2007 at 1:47 pm said:

ISNT THE PSN UPDATE TODAY?!

HIGH VILOCITY BOWLING WAS LISTED FOR RELEASE TODAY.

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 27th, 2007 at 1:55 pm said:

woo

+ tearsofash on November 27th, 2007 at 1:56 pm said:

Yay. Can’t wait for Rat Race to come in, then we’ll have a decent share of comedy games, too.

+ frostedcakes on November 27th, 2007 at 1:57 pm said:

HVB WAS scheduled to be released last thursday, then today, then Thursday, and now it says “Fall 2007″. Who knows when we’ll see it on the store

+ danailkiller on November 27th, 2007 at 1:58 pm said:

PAIN looks just pure fun. Will buy!

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 27th, 2007 at 1:58 pm said:

So, the thing on the side said Sony characters were what we wanted in the game, did you guys put some in? Shooting Snake, Crash bandicoot or Jak would be hilarious.

+ chase on November 27th, 2007 at 1:59 pm said:

HIGH VILOCITY BOWLING 11-29th
and it has custom sound track

+ ChaseHammer on November 27th, 2007 at 2:07 pm said:

wish it didnt cost so much. $10 is steep for a PSN game, sorry.

+ chase on November 27th, 2007 at 2:09 pm said:

$10 is nothing anything more i wont buy

+ drdre74 on November 27th, 2007 at 2:10 pm said:

I’ll have to check this out on thursday.

+ manutd on November 27th, 2007 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey Jason

Just wondering when PAIN will be out on the European PS store.

+ JuJuRMJ on November 27th, 2007 at 2:21 pm said:

Can’t Wait!

+ Torgo on November 27th, 2007 at 2:23 pm said:

I can’t wait to give this one a try.

+ Savage on November 27th, 2007 at 2:31 pm said:

@5 now that would be the dogs…

+ jeremyprice11 on November 27th, 2007 at 2:45 pm said:

Jason I have been looking forward to this game for soemtime now. It looks great, and I am sure it will be a great title. Thanks for all the hard work. Hurry up Thursday and get here. I WANT PAIN!!!

+ willacuz on November 27th, 2007 at 2:46 pm said:

This one looks great. Will be picking it up.

Does it have Mic support for multiplayer?

+ DarkUSS on November 27th, 2007 at 2:51 pm said:

Will it be out on the EURO STORE as well or just US?

+ Neil on November 27th, 2007 at 2:53 pm said:

Wow, you sold me on this. I’ll pick it up this week for sure.

+ grognard66 on November 27th, 2007 at 3:01 pm said:

Sorry if I missed this, but will there also be a demo for PAIN on Thursday?

+ bnz on November 27th, 2007 at 3:07 pm said:

Will it be released in Europe as well?

+ west on November 27th, 2007 at 3:08 pm said:

This game is definitely a buy.

+ Soong on November 27th, 2007 at 3:34 pm said:

We’re still waiting for Everyday Shooter in the UK! So I doubt this will come Thursday :(

Hopefully ES will be here this Thursday. Although I’ve been saying that for a lot of Thursdays.

+ killa1b on November 27th, 2007 at 3:38 pm said:

IM GETTING PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

+ cmack98 on November 27th, 2007 at 3:41 pm said:

I cannot wait! This will be one of the best PSN games released hands down!

We couldn’t get enough of it at the sales conference in Vegas, so I cannot wait to play it without someone breathing down my neck waiting for the controller!

+ SecretAgentX9 on November 27th, 2007 at 3:55 pm said:

Why did you all waste your time on a game like this. Its a stupid premise that has been done many times on FLASH.

Even in your own post where you say “* “Check the Leaderboards, Son. Spank. The. Monkey.”” reminds me of that game on flash, ya know the “spank the monkey” game. Next time you work on something I suggest using a premise that I can’t play for free on the internets.

Nice try though

+ zookey on November 27th, 2007 at 4:07 pm said:

Beautiful….just plain beautifull—I am sold!

+ Enedok on November 27th, 2007 at 4:15 pm said:

Great! This trailer looks much more appealing with all the items flying around. I thought this game was a bit empty from the other clips. Depends on the price but I think I will download it.

Worldwide launch or will EU get it later?

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on November 27th, 2007 at 4:47 pm said:

* Sniff * He makes me so proud.

+ Frazz on November 27th, 2007 at 4:51 pm said:

Im not sure if Im sold on this game.Ill have to wait and see

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Jason Coker on November 27th, 2007 at 4:53 pm said:

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Looks like our friends in Europe are ready for PAIN, and I’m happy to report that we are working on getting the European release out ASAP.
The official PAIN site should be up and running any minute now, and that’s where we really want to get you guys involved. You’ll be able to check out videos of the different modes, we’ll have “Pose of the Week” screen shots, polls, and the whole nine. This is going to be a serious effort to get you guys and gals involved in making this game bigger, better, and more bad-assed.
I hope to see you all on the Leaderboards this weekend!

+ DarkUSS on November 27th, 2007 at 5:01 pm said:

Jason, does this mean poor europeans get the game also this Thursday or next week?

+ kassatsu on November 27th, 2007 at 5:12 pm said:

Wanted to know if there will be a demo, kinda on the fence for whether or not if I want to buy it?

+ doomsonyman on November 27th, 2007 at 5:12 pm said:

good job Jason Coker and Travis Williams you guys only futher prove that all sony developer talented and have an innovative mindset. it’s been my dream to work for a sony studio and make a game like medievil j&dax r&clank sly or even if it’s a cool psn title like pain, as long as it’s something innovative. but i know it’s gonna take work and i won’t always get to do what i want but i just hope one day my ideas can atribute to something new and differnt. all i want to say is that you guyz and sony world wide studios are an insperation to me. i’m so buying your game.

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 27th, 2007 at 5:28 pm said:

Cool that the Eu Release is soon (How long does it take to localise cartalidge snapping) but you didnt answer, are the things we asked for in the poll, in the game. Or will that be a premium extra download for no reason at all?

+ DigiTaL_ on November 27th, 2007 at 5:37 pm said:

Hello all, let me just say that Pain looks incredibly hilarious, it’s good to see developers try something other than a FPS:):) I will most definitley purchase and fling that horse for some real Pain LOLOL, it will be a merry X- mas indeed:):):)

+ Gord Lacey on November 27th, 2007 at 5:43 pm said:

Oh….hell….yes! I think I’m more excited for this than a lot of the retail games. I’m sure I’ll buy a ton of the additional content as well, and I’ll love every minute of it.

Gord

+ hinesdesigner on November 27th, 2007 at 5:45 pm said:

Hello everyone though I am a in and out solid Sony customer, I almost fell into the 360 trap and considered buying one because of negative influences through my friends and the lack of attention. Luckily I chose to stick with Sony and I am so happy for it. Sorry to give my life story but this is my 1st blog and I wanted to introduce myself to everyone and thank Sony for continuing to put a smile on my face for 13 years :) Thanks!

Now that that is out of the way…Is PAIN a game I will get bored of??? Maybe I am alone on this one but I just don’t see why I am supposed to get excited about throwing a guy into random stuff? Just seems like I’ll get bored with it quickly… please fill me in. Keep it up guys. I want HOME

+ Stoffinator on November 27th, 2007 at 5:47 pm said:

I don’t know. Pain to me looks like it should be a free game. Looks to simple and halo to be charged anything for it.

+ terminatorvsmtrx on November 27th, 2007 at 6:18 pm said:

i cant freakin wait for this game it looks so undeniably sick.. im buying it the minute i possibly can

+ elprimodebklyn96 on November 27th, 2007 at 6:50 pm said:

im pretty new to the blog i just registered myself. (on task) AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love pain ever since i saw the video in e3 anybody wants to be my friend
psn id:elprimodebklyn96

+ druppy on November 27th, 2007 at 6:58 pm said:

Can we get the thursday updates done much earlier in the day please.

PAGE 1 2 3