PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Bring the PAIN – Thursday

Jason Coker's Avatar + Posted by Jason Coker on Nov 27, 2007 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Hey, all. My name is Jason Coker, and I am the Associate Producer on the PS3 PSN title PAIN.

When people ask me, “Hey Coker, what project are you working on?” I reluctantly tell them that it’s PAIN. I say “reluctantly” because I have found that it’s pretty much impossible to do the game justice without actually having it right in front of someone to show it to them. Sure, I tell people that it’s a crazy game in which you launch a character from a giant slingshot into a downtown area and smash him into stuff and blow stuff up and you snatch Mimes out of the air so you can slam them through plate glass windows and you blast monkeys out the side of a building in an attempt to stop another player’s character from successfully crashing into bowling pins and you can play as a dude named Ed in a cow suit and so on and so on…

[catches breath]

…but it’s actually a lot more than that. Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you exactly what because it’s too impossibly fun to put into words. You’ll have to try it for yourselves, and you definitely won’t be disappointed.

What I CAN tell you is that it has been a blast to work on. It hasn’t been easy, but it sure has been hilarious. Here are just a couple of the gems I’ve heard (or said):

* “Coker, can you write up a description of a little person hip-hop pirate right quick?” (Yeah, I had the same reaction. You’ll see.)

* “Ummmm….who did the voice-over for that? That’s nasty.”

* “Hey man, if I get you a big glass of water, can you step into the recording booth and belch for about half an hour?”

* “Check the Leaderboards, Son. Spank. The. Monkey.”

* “Dude, I just really don’t think the farts are loud enough.”

* “Did you just grab that Granny by her head? Do it again! Do it again!”

* “That’s him right there. We call him the Ooch Master. He can’t be touched.” (You know who you are at Idol Minds, and I’m coming for you. The student has become the Master, baby!)

* “OH, *&%*!! THAT *^&%*#@ DONUT!!!!!!”

And that was just in one afternoon.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you about PAIN is that the game is really what you make of it. There is sometimes this misconception that it’s this cool experiment in physics that’s fun to watch. Hardly, it’s much, much more.

Fact is, I’ve been working on this game for quite a few moons, and I’m STILL finding new things to do and new trash to talk (I’m quite the PAIN Bowler, and I EARN my trash-talking rights, thank you very much).

In the meantime, check out the OFFICIAL PAIN SITE to stay hip to the world of PAIN.

143 Comments

+ mp7a1mobsta on November 27th, 2007 at 8:04 pm said:

yea @ 53 i agree, i hate having to wait till around 6pm est to get the store updates.. especially since my internet isnt the fastest in the world and it takes most of the night to download even just a few demos

+ Lp47 on November 27th, 2007 at 8:15 pm said:

It sounds like people really like throwing dummies around. haha. I might check it out, it doesnt really appeal to me right now.

+ Jeigh on November 27th, 2007 at 8:47 pm said:

Good to hear! Looking forward to it, and thanks to all you harding-working (and hardly working :P ) folk at Idol Minds!

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on November 27th, 2007 at 9:03 pm said:

I just got back from a “semi vacation” so I will try to make this brief. PAIN is a lot more than throwing a chracter into something and watching the results. In PAIN after you have hit something you ooch your character around (Watch the video and see how the characters move after hitting something. The more you cause pain the more ooch you have. The more ooch you have the more you can move your character around. That’s why you want to blow up. Get smacked, run over, fall from high places because it keeps your character in motion.

More motion, more ooch, more pain, more motion… get it?

And in addition to ooching there is grabs, throws, drifting, posing, and SUPER ooching. The game looks simple, but I can assure you there is a lot to it. PAIN is a skill based game which is why we have so much fun playing each other. Getting 50+ explosions in Fun With Explosives is not easy. But it sure is fun to watch.

I hope that shines more of a light on things.

+ NotZed on November 27th, 2007 at 9:08 pm said:

Sounds a bit like burnout crash mode with aftertouch/crashbreaker/chaining things together.

I guess it could be a bit of fun, but it might appeal more to US tastes than the rest of the world.

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 27th, 2007 at 9:21 pm said:

Interesting yet simple premise. Although at 9.99 I’ll wait and see if Sony ever does one of their special limited price drops deals and get it then.

+ Kamahl on November 27th, 2007 at 10:08 pm said:

So how much is it going to cost?

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 27th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

Kamahi it’s been said that’s going to cost 9.99

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

@Travis Williams & Jason Coker
how much is it going to cost.

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 11:31 pm said:

@Travis Williams & Jason Coker
Also are we going to see Sony Game Characters
in pain?.

+ Johnny Sasaki on November 28th, 2007 at 1:12 am said:

This is one game where I definitely think custom soundtracks would be superb…. can we PLEASE get that (in a future update if it isn’t already in there)???

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 3:59 am said:

Well I’m excited about PAIN, but after spending 100$+ on PSN games/expansions, that I generally only use once, maybe twice, I’m more concerned about the price atm, than the sheer fun factor, are there any general price points you’re trying for? Is it a full on feature priced situation like Warhawk, or is it more of a Calling all Cars, or Tekken type pricing, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt… seeing as you’ve hyped the game so much, and generally put all your credibilities on the line, …and buy it asap, but I’m hoping this time it’s a product that’s more geared towards my own gaming tastes/$$$.

+ heisert on November 28th, 2007 at 4:20 am said:

home open beta too?

+ karmajack on November 28th, 2007 at 6:14 am said:

Is there going to be expansions to this game? What about the price as well? The game seems interesting, but if it’s over $10 I’ll pass. Actually if there’s going to be $2 expansions then $6 for the game itself is my limit.

+ xberserker on November 28th, 2007 at 6:36 am said:

I’ll be picking this up Thursday! :D Hopefully Home too :P

+ xxLONESTARxx on November 28th, 2007 at 8:02 am said:

Yeah, I’ll be getting this game if the price is right Bob…the idea behind it is simple but sounds like a good time…I dont believe it will hold my interest for too long but I’ll get a kick out of it.

+ chasegamez on November 28th, 2007 at 8:09 am said:

will this game have custom sound track

+ 40cal on November 28th, 2007 at 10:42 am said:

Whats up Travis. Long time no hear bro.

Oh, And bring on the PAIN!!!

+ streeks1984 on November 28th, 2007 at 10:44 am said:

I will be buying this game the preview video had me crackin up.

+ toolfan2007 on November 28th, 2007 at 10:57 am said:

Cool…pity us European’s will have to wait for a while…:(, I can’t wait to play High Velocity Bowling though…

+ ChrisGTR1 on November 28th, 2007 at 1:00 pm said:

hey jason :) i think u need a nick name..

+ adj444 on November 28th, 2007 at 1:33 pm said:

have you all seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RX8bXp1RK4

+ Draicus on November 28th, 2007 at 2:21 pm said:

I can’t wait to get my PAIN on tomorrow. *thumb up*

+ thedragonrider on November 28th, 2007 at 2:34 pm said:

shame that by the time us poor euros gare deemed worthy of playing the game there will be so much far better stuff available.

and you know what, i’ve got mass effect to keep me happy so stuff your bloody pathetic attitude to europe right up your backside sony.

+ Jedah on November 28th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

I wish I could get this, like many other games on PSN…

But Sony system to review and accept credit card information is messed up.

I’ve had my PS3 for about 8 months now and up to date I have never been able to register my credit card.

Still waiting on those Sony Pre-paid cards.

+ p4ddym1607 on November 28th, 2007 at 3:35 pm said:

“wish it didnt cost so much. $10 is steep for a PSN game, sorry.”

$10 is the right amount. Just at the max. Is this game coming out in Europe and will it be 5 pounds?

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 28th, 2007 at 7:15 pm said:

+ Gord Lacey on November 28th, 2007 at 7:27 pm said:

“I have to agree 10 a small game is too much. You can get way more entertainment from a lot of these PS1 classics released at 5.99.”

Keep in mind the cost to develop those classics were paid for a long, long time ago. I like seeing new games, such as PAIN, appear on the PSN along with some of the classics.

Gord

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 28th, 2007 at 7:41 pm said:

I think the 5-7 dollar range would be good for downloadable games. While a game like Everyday Shooter is good. It’s not worth 10 dollars. Pain I’m sure will be the same way.

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 8:47 pm said:

@ Gord Lacey

Keep in mind, we’re hardcore gamers, eventually even we’ will get sick of getting milked $$$ for crap we don’t use. Let’s face it, there is some good stuff on the PSN, that is reasonably expensive for a DL, Warhawk-Tekken-Castlevania(psone)Etc… and there are some that are a pleasant suprise for their reasonabe price range, Stardust-Calling all cars-etc., but the majority of them are those that, are 6-10 that really shouldn’t be more than 3… I’m a firm believer that I should be able to convert my own psone games to use on my ps3-psp via’ a download rom creator(ie.), seeing as I already paid $50-$60 for them brand new years and years ago, instead to get that functionality, I have to either switch to homebrew or DL at $5-$6 cdn via’ the PSN, lol I now own Castlevania, hardcopy, have it DL’ed on my ps3 via psn, and it’s shared with my psp… and to top it off, Castlevania, was $10 download… hmmm.

If I was running PSN, and wanted to see sale records skyrocket, not cash per sale… I’d make a blu-ray game (DL version) $25-$50 depending, I’d make full games like Tekken or Gripshift $10-$20
I’d make casual games like Calling all Cars – Everyday shooter – Stardust, etc a Steady $5, and I’d make all PS-One classics $2-$5, $5 being the absolute maximum.

Two maps for a game should be $4 not $10, I’ve played my Resistance maps, once each, it was a simple change of scenery… same game.

I’d offer music downloads at $1 – $2 each, and tv+movie services at a monthly fee of $25 or less.

all the above mentioned, is considering, that I’m all powerful and can sway all other parties involved in the pricing, ie. Konami(ala’ Castlevania = $10) and Namco(ala Tekken = $30+), etc x 10

Anyway, ventilation over. I think PAIN if the dev’s consider it a ‘full-game’ should price in the $10-$20 range, if possible without sacrifice, lower, it’s just that some of us, are ‘collectors’ we like to buy everything, and not pick and choose, it gets a little pricey.

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 8:50 pm said:

Maybe Sony should work out, a monthly fee for people who choose that route… unlimited download coverage… as long as they’re subscribed?

it’s what I’d do…

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on November 28th, 2007 at 10:42 pm said:

We can’t speak for Sony Europe everyone. What I can tell you is that they are working VERY hard to get PAIN out quickly. As soon as there is a date for PAIN Europe they will let everyone know. It should be “soon”. I can understand how gamers in other countries feel but rest assured we are doing whatever we can to shorten that time period. As we get into the “swing of things” on a world wide scale with future PAIN releases you should look forward to same day releases.

I know this won’t completely stop the flames but I wanted to let you know that it’s not that we are ignoring Europe or even making you guys take a back seat. Making a European PSN game takes more time. Sony Europe has a lot of countries to deal with (and languages) while us Americans usually just support English. We are hard at work knocking out these issues. One of the issues we had some funny exchanges about was just American slang.

Imagine explaining to a translator that when you get smacked in the “junk” that it isn’t trash we are talking about.

So there have been some growing pains. I think those are behind us now so look for all territories to be on the same page (at least with PAIN) going forward.

To answer your questions about the price point I think that 9.99 is actually a fairly good deal for what you get in PAIN. There is a lot of content there and instead of defending this by myself I will wait until people have played it and ask them to weigh in.

I know that when I was not a game maker and I saw a game for less than the HIGHEST price I used to ask myself: Why is it so cheap? Is there something wrong with this game? When in PAIN’s case it’s just what we thought was a good price for a new type of game that everyone wasn’t so familiar with. Gamers are always saying they want something different. We will see if PAIN is different enough. I think it is and it’s REALLY fun.

OH and more directly….

@ChaseGamez: About that custom soundtrack… Good idea. That’s something I am looking into.

@Kedaro: Honestly dude I think it’s a good deal at 9.99 I am not going to put my product against other PSN games (I think that’s bad form) but yeah I really do think 9.99 is a good price for what you get.

@40cal: Dude I was trying to take some vacation days. DENIED! No rest for the wicked.

@Jeigh: Amen. The crew at Idol Minds (PAIN Developers) deserve some SERIOUS props. They really did a bang up job IMHO

@Everyone: Can’t wait for your feedback. Make sure you hit the official site now. I will be posting some other announcements there soon.

+ thedragonrider on November 29th, 2007 at 3:31 am said:

i’ve heard all the excuses.
if the localisation is so hard (and i dont see how much there can be for a game like this, it’s not an rpg with reams of dialogue) then why not release the english language version, unlike the us many people in europe can speak more than one language so while some may be annoyed that they cant understand it many more will be happy to be able to play it.

and why is it localisation as always the very last thing that’s done?
“get the us version out then we might think about translating the game.”
call this an unfair criticism but treating what is clearly the most successful market for the ps3 as an afterthought is a monumentally stupid business decision.

the simple fact is far too many games are not being released when there has been time enough to translate them a dozen times over.

but hey, maybe there are genuine reasons why pain will not be out in europe for god knows how long (jan-feb 2008 according to reports from sony) but then in that respect this game will be in a minority.

tell you what, you set up a uk account and then compare the pittance we get with what you can download in the us store and then come back here and try to tell me i dont have a legitimate greivance.

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 29th, 2007 at 6:55 am said:

The logic of
‘People havent played this stuff before, so lets charge them more for it’
is so extremely flawed, i dont know if you’ve clicked, but that will make people think ‘Not worth the gamble’.
Introducing something new is about making is accessable, not expensive.

+ PS3Lee on November 29th, 2007 at 7:51 am said:

@ 99
I totally agree, why o why o why do they keep doing this to us europeans.
I can’t understand why they don’t just hold back the US version till the ‘translating’ is done and release it worldwide at the same time, that way no-one gets angry or annoyed.
And while I’m ranting, what ever happened to the european version of that poker game !!
Back to the topic, if this is really not getting to us till next year as some posts have said the novelty would have worn off and I won’t be bothered to buy this which is a shame, as I really would like to be excited by this, but delays kill the feeling and loyalty starts to slip…..

+ bnz on November 29th, 2007 at 8:20 am said:

Yes, the argument is just stupid. Just list it in the European stores as “PAIN – US Version” and everbody is happy. Especially the British probably won’t have any problems understanding the jokes. The answer regarding European releases sounds like a slightly enhanced version of pre-designed answer from a Sony public relations manual. Why don’t you game developers put a little pressure on Sony Europe to do the right thing? There is certainly nobody else who is able to do it i guess…

+ sigchi222 on November 29th, 2007 at 8:45 am said:

TW and Coker,
From what I have seen, this is an instant buy. No waiting for reviews or posts over at the forums. Your game appeals to all of us that have ever wanted to sling somone off a roof (maybe that isn’t a good way to put it). I can tell you this…my 6 year old son wants it as bad as his 40 year old Dad. That’s a pretty big demographic. Good luck and either get busy readying DL content or making your next game SUFFERING.

+ thedragonrider on November 29th, 2007 at 9:55 am said:

yif this were to be made available today i’d have snapped it up.
but if i have to wait till january just because you see the continent that i live as an afterthought, well funny thing, it starts to look a whole lot less interesting to me.

tell me why it is you wait till after the us release to start the localisation for the one market where the ps3 is actually doing well?
are you going to start ignoring the us if the ps3 starts selling well there too?

this is bad comedy, i’d laugh but i’m one of the one’s you’re taking the piss out of.

+ Kedaro on November 29th, 2007 at 12:01 pm said:

9.99 ? awesome guys, thank you, and I hope it starts a trend, at $10 this game is a definite buy for me.

+ thedragonrider on November 29th, 2007 at 1:36 pm said:

bet you it’ll be twice that by the time it finally makes it outside the us.

did you know the ski game was nearly four times the price in eurrope, not the sale price, the normal price.

and you know what, that i can understand.
the blatant refusal to release so much of the psn content in europe and thereby miss out on god knows how much potential income is just staggeringly stupid.
and it’s like 100% profit after all, no media costs, no shipping costs, they dont even advertise it.
yet time after time, game after game, no eu release.
damned incompetant witless imbiciles.
that wopuld abe a good way of describing the sony management if one were inclined to be kind.

+ PS3Lee on November 29th, 2007 at 1:57 pm said:

Don’t bother with the european PSN this week it’s just another huge pile of crap (except the resistance maps).
11 trailers/videos/adverts, pathetic!!!!
This is really starting to get tiresome now, what is the point of having the european store, its like opening a shop with nothing but adverts on the shelf !!
Sony Europe really needs to pull something out of there hat if they want their european user base to increase otherwise there will be alot of second hand PS3′s come the new year.
Oh I forgot they don’t give a damn about europe, silly me…..

+ linuxguru on November 29th, 2007 at 9:49 pm said:

How come when I try to use the Santa and Cookie characters it tells me that the game is corrupt and I have to download it again? I followed that request, and redownloaded the game from PSN but it still produces the same result.

Steps to produce error:

1. Single Player Mode
2. Select any level
3. Select Santa or Cookie
Message on screen says that there is a problem with the application.

Version 1.00

+ AgainstFive on November 29th, 2007 at 10:41 pm said:

here’s a japanese PS3 fan too. please don’t forget the asia.

+ DarkKnight on November 30th, 2007 at 2:34 am said:

“Check it out when it hits PSN, and if you want some multiplayer action, come see me. You bring the Kool-Aid, and I’ll bring the PAIN!”

Did you not realize what you were saying in this paragraph? I just bought a game specifically to play online with my friends based on your blog post and apparently there is no online multi-player in this title at all!?! Were you inviting us all over to your house?

Very Disappointed!

+ leetfoo on November 30th, 2007 at 7:08 am said:

Pain is freaking awesome. 10 times better than you said it would be- you’re stealing all my sleep.

+ Poppa on November 30th, 2007 at 8:11 am said:

As with DarkKnight, I’m highly disappointed in the lack of online play. The primary reason I bought PAIN was to enjoy it with my friends around the World. This is a game that would truly benefit from a party like online system. Voice chat with up to eight people while playing Horse would be soooo much fun.

I’m also slightly disappointed at the lack of themes. Not so much though (the one theme available seems to be pretty robust), but it would’ve been nice to have more. Also, why aren’t Cookie and Santa selectable? They say it was a downloadable error of some sort. I take it an update will be released to include them in time for the holiday season.

Don’t get me wrong though, PAIN is so much fun! They did a great job with the gameplay. BUT!!! It would be so much better with online competitive play.

As for the content justifying the price point…I would say it hit the bare minimum (well, fell far under with the exclusion of online play IMHO). Compared to other PSN games, you do in fact get quite a bit for your money, but let’s be honest, that’s not saying much. 2 extra themes, far more selectable characters and an incredible online offering, then and only then would I say you get “a lot for the money”. Right now it’s average content or slightly below average. Again, online play would big a HUGE help.

So please!!! Take my (and everyone else’s) request for online play to heart! Doesn’t have to be anything crazy, just simple matchmaking for up to 4 (preferably 8) players with voice chat (SUPER IMPORTANT!!! PAIN is dependent on the laughs of those playing! It’s the music of PAIN! Don’t silence the laughter!). AND PLEASE DON’T CHARGE $$$ FOR IT!!!

+ Poppa on November 30th, 2007 at 8:15 am said:

Sorry, that 8) smiley face in my post #113 should just be “8 )”. Damn you smileys!!!

So ya, at least 4 players online, but 8 would be preferable.

+ Poppa on November 30th, 2007 at 11:26 am said:

After reading my post, it sorta sounds like I regret forking over the cash for PAIN. I don’t. PAIN is awesome, I just wish it had online. =(

You do get a decent amount of content for the money…I guess I’m just spoiled with stuff like VF4: Evolution and 2k Sports 2k5 lineup (all released at the budget price of $20) so my expectations of content is higher (for all games, not just those that lack the $60 price tag). =/

But still, having online would add a tonne of value to PAIN (especially going by your blog posts, which tend to highlight the multi-player aspect of PAIN).

+ Clice on November 30th, 2007 at 12:37 pm said:

I have an error selecting a new character. I have santa which I can select, but I get an error, telling me to redownload the game. Is it only me?

+ Poppa on November 30th, 2007 at 1:03 pm said:

@Clice: No. It’s not just you.

Seems like PAIN was rushed out the door to meet the deadline. If they do patch online in, it better be free.