PlayStation Experience

Nov 27

Bring the PAIN – Thursday

Jason Coker's Avatar Posted by Jason Coker on Nov 27, 2007 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Hey, all. My name is Jason Coker, and I am the Associate Producer on the PS3 PSN title PAIN.

When people ask me, “Hey Coker, what project are you working on?” I reluctantly tell them that it’s PAIN. I say “reluctantly” because I have found that it’s pretty much impossible to do the game justice without actually having it right in front of someone to show it to them. Sure, I tell people that it’s a crazy game in which you launch a character from a giant slingshot into a downtown area and smash him into stuff and blow stuff up and you snatch Mimes out of the air so you can slam them through plate glass windows and you blast monkeys out the side of a building in an attempt to stop another player’s character from successfully crashing into bowling pins and you can play as a dude named Ed in a cow suit and so on and so on…

[catches breath]

…but it’s actually a lot more than that. Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you exactly what because it’s too impossibly fun to put into words. You’ll have to try it for yourselves, and you definitely won’t be disappointed.

What I CAN tell you is that it has been a blast to work on. It hasn’t been easy, but it sure has been hilarious. Here are just a couple of the gems I’ve heard (or said):

* “Coker, can you write up a description of a little person hip-hop pirate right quick?” (Yeah, I had the same reaction. You’ll see.)

* “Ummmm….who did the voice-over for that? That’s nasty.”

* “Hey man, if I get you a big glass of water, can you step into the recording booth and belch for about half an hour?”

* “Check the Leaderboards, Son. Spank. The. Monkey.”

* “Dude, I just really don’t think the farts are loud enough.”

* “Did you just grab that Granny by her head? Do it again! Do it again!”

* “That’s him right there. We call him the Ooch Master. He can’t be touched.” (You know who you are at Idol Minds, and I’m coming for you. The student has become the Master, baby!)

* “OH, *&%*!! THAT *^&%*#@ DONUT!!!!!!”

And that was just in one afternoon.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you about PAIN is that the game is really what you make of it. There is sometimes this misconception that it’s this cool experiment in physics that’s fun to watch. Hardly, it’s much, much more.

Fact is, I’ve been working on this game for quite a few moons, and I’m STILL finding new things to do and new trash to talk (I’m quite the PAIN Bowler, and I EARN my trash-talking rights, thank you very much).

Check it out when it hits PSN, and if you want some multiplayer action, come see me. You bring the Kool-Aid, and I’ll bring the PAIN!

In the meantime, check out the OFFICIAL PAIN SITE to stay hip to the world of PAIN.

+ terminatorvsmtrx on November 27th, 2007 at 6:18 pm said:

i cant freakin wait for this game it looks so undeniably sick.. im buying it the minute i possibly can

+ elprimodebklyn96 on November 27th, 2007 at 6:50 pm said:

im pretty new to the blog i just registered myself. (on task) AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love pain ever since i saw the video in e3 anybody wants to be my friend
psn id:elprimodebklyn96

+ druppy on November 27th, 2007 at 6:58 pm said:

Can we get the thursday updates done much earlier in the day please.

+ consoleer » Blog Archive » PAIN Afflicting PlayStation Store On Thursday [Playstation 3] on November 27th, 2007 at 7:44 pm said:

[…] Bring the PAIN – Thursday [] […]

+ mp7a1mobsta on November 27th, 2007 at 8:04 pm said:

yea @ 53 i agree, i hate having to wait till around 6pm est to get the store updates.. especially since my internet isnt the fastest in the world and it takes most of the night to download even just a few demos

+ Lp47 on November 27th, 2007 at 8:15 pm said:

It sounds like people really like throwing dummies around. haha. I might check it out, it doesnt really appeal to me right now.

+ Sony Brings The PAIN Thursday - eXophase Games Network on November 27th, 2007 at 8:40 pm said:

[…] Bring the PAIN – Thursday [] […]

+ Jeigh on November 27th, 2007 at 8:47 pm said:

Good to hear! Looking forward to it, and thanks to all you harding-working (and hardly working :P ) folk at Idol Minds!

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on November 27th, 2007 at 9:03 pm said:

I just got back from a “semi vacation” so I will try to make this brief. PAIN is a lot more than throwing a chracter into something and watching the results. In PAIN after you have hit something you ooch your character around (Watch the video and see how the characters move after hitting something. The more you cause pain the more ooch you have. The more ooch you have the more you can move your character around. That’s why you want to blow up. Get smacked, run over, fall from high places because it keeps your character in motion.

More motion, more ooch, more pain, more motion… get it?

And in addition to ooching there is grabs, throws, drifting, posing, and SUPER ooching. The game looks simple, but I can assure you there is a lot to it. PAIN is a skill based game which is why we have so much fun playing each other. Getting 50+ explosions in Fun With Explosives is not easy. But it sure is fun to watch.

I hope that shines more of a light on things.

+ NotZed on November 27th, 2007 at 9:08 pm said:

Sounds a bit like burnout crash mode with aftertouch/crashbreaker/chaining things together.

I guess it could be a bit of fun, but it might appeal more to US tastes than the rest of the world.

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 27th, 2007 at 9:21 pm said:

Interesting yet simple premise. Although at 9.99 I’ll wait and see if Sony ever does one of their special limited price drops deals and get it then.

+ Kamahl on November 27th, 2007 at 10:08 pm said:

So how much is it going to cost?

+ PS3 Game Geek » PAIN arriving this Thursday on November 27th, 2007 at 10:35 pm said:

[…] new post on the PlayStation.Blog has let us know that the upcoming PSN title PAIN will finally be made […]

+ PAIN arriving this Thursday » PS3 Game Players on November 27th, 2007 at 10:35 pm said:

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 27th, 2007 at 11:08 pm said:

Kamahi it’s been said that’s going to cost 9.99

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 11:20 pm said:

@Travis Williams & Jason Coker
how much is it going to cost.

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 11:31 pm said:

@Travis Williams & Jason Coker
Also are we going to see Sony Game Characters
in pain?.

+ Johnny Sasaki on November 28th, 2007 at 1:12 am said:

This is one game where I definitely think custom soundtracks would be superb…. can we PLEASE get that (in a future update if it isn’t already in there)???

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 3:59 am said:

Well I’m excited about PAIN, but after spending 100$+ on PSN games/expansions, that I generally only use once, maybe twice, I’m more concerned about the price atm, than the sheer fun factor, are there any general price points you’re trying for? Is it a full on feature priced situation like Warhawk, or is it more of a Calling all Cars, or Tekken type pricing, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt… seeing as you’ve hyped the game so much, and generally put all your credibilities on the line, …and buy it asap, but I’m hoping this time it’s a product that’s more geared towards my own gaming tastes/$$$.

+ PAIN title available on PSN: Download this Thursday on the PlayStation Network on Product Reviews Net on November 28th, 2007 at 4:16 am said:

[…] to The Playstation Blog there are a number of modes in the game, one part of the game that I think that users will like is […]

+ heisert on November 28th, 2007 at 4:20 am said:

home open beta too?

+ PAIN da domani in USA on November 28th, 2007 at 5:00 am said:

[…] PlayStation.Blog] PUBBLICITÀ PUBBLICITÀ (nessun voto) 0 […]

+ karmajack on November 28th, 2007 at 6:14 am said:

Is there going to be expansions to this game? What about the price as well? The game seems interesting, but if it’s over $10 I’ll pass. Actually if there’s going to be $2 expansions then $6 for the game itself is my limit.

+ xberserker on November 28th, 2007 at 6:36 am said:

I’ll be picking this up Thursday! :D Hopefully Home too :P

+ Topic Ufficiale CW Playstation Network Three - Page 35 - Videogiochi Forum su on November 28th, 2007 at 6:58 am said:

[…] giovedi sullo store Usa… Nn mi ha mai ispirato particolarmente, vediamo se riesce a stupire PlayStation.Blog Bring the PAIN – Thursday tag PSN kiloita tag LIVE nn ricordo tag WII […]

+ To the Pain! PS3 Style. on November 28th, 2007 at 7:01 am said:

[…] Source: Playstation Blog (link) […]

+ PAIN Afflicting PlayStation Store On Thursday [Playstation 3] | Free Games Center Blog on November 28th, 2007 at 7:46 am said:

[…] Bring the PAIN – Thursday [] […]

+ xxLONESTARxx on November 28th, 2007 at 8:02 am said:

Yeah, I’ll be getting this game if the price is right Bob…the idea behind it is simple but sounds like a good time…I dont believe it will hold my interest for too long but I’ll get a kick out of it.

+ chasegamez on November 28th, 2007 at 8:09 am said:

will this game have custom sound track

+ PSN a source of PAIN this Thursday | Free Games Center Blog on November 28th, 2007 at 9:36 am said:

[…] physically awkward and often impossible positions, the PlayStation Network has the game for you this Thursday. Concisely dubbed “PAIN,” the downloadable title hopes to indulge your vicious impulses […]

+ » The PAIN is coming… Thursday on November 28th, 2007 at 10:38 am said:

[…] Read on for more: Bring the Pain [Sony Playstation Blog] […]

+ 40cal on November 28th, 2007 at 10:42 am said:

Whats up Travis. Long time no hear bro.

Oh, And bring on the PAIN!!!

+ streeks1984 on November 28th, 2007 at 10:44 am said:

I will be buying this game the preview video had me crackin up.

+ toolfan2007 on November 28th, 2007 at 10:57 am said:

Cool…pity us European’s will have to wait for a while…:(, I can’t wait to play High Velocity Bowling though…

+ Türkçe Haber, Forum, Gazete, Blog ve Güncel Sitelerin Rss Sayfası » Blog Archive » ‘PAIN’ Hits PSN on Thursday on November 28th, 2007 at 11:41 am said:

[…] PlayStation.Blog: Bring the PAIN – Thursday […]

+ ChrisGTR1 on November 28th, 2007 at 1:00 pm said:

hey jason :) i think u need a nick name..

+ adj444 on November 28th, 2007 at 1:33 pm said:

have you all seen this

+ Draicus on November 28th, 2007 at 2:21 pm said:

I can’t wait to get my PAIN on tomorrow. *thumb up*

+ thedragonrider on November 28th, 2007 at 2:34 pm said:

shame that by the time us poor euros gare deemed worthy of playing the game there will be so much far better stuff available.

and you know what, i’ve got mass effect to keep me happy so stuff your bloody pathetic attitude to europe right up your backside sony.

+ Jedah on November 28th, 2007 at 3:10 pm said:

I wish I could get this, like many other games on PSN…

But Sony system to review and accept credit card information is messed up.

I’ve had my PS3 for about 8 months now and up to date I have never been able to register my credit card.

Still waiting on those Sony Pre-paid cards.

+ p4ddym1607 on November 28th, 2007 at 3:35 pm said:

“wish it didnt cost so much. $10 is steep for a PSN game, sorry.”

$10 is the right amount. Just at the max. Is this game coming out in Europe and will it be 5 pounds?

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 28th, 2007 at 7:15 pm said:

+ Gord Lacey on November 28th, 2007 at 7:27 pm said:

“I have to agree 10 a small game is too much. You can get way more entertainment from a lot of these PS1 classics released at 5.99.”

Keep in mind the cost to develop those classics were paid for a long, long time ago. I like seeing new games, such as PAIN, appear on the PSN along with some of the classics.

+ Bender Rodriguez on November 28th, 2007 at 7:41 pm said:

I think the 5-7 dollar range would be good for downloadable games. While a game like Everyday Shooter is good. It’s not worth 10 dollars. Pain I’m sure will be the same way.

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 8:47 pm said:

@ Gord Lacey

Keep in mind, we’re hardcore gamers, eventually even we’ will get sick of getting milked $$$ for crap we don’t use. Let’s face it, there is some good stuff on the PSN, that is reasonably expensive for a DL, Warhawk-Tekken-Castlevania(psone)Etc… and there are some that are a pleasant suprise for their reasonabe price range, Stardust-Calling all cars-etc., but the majority of them are those that, are 6-10 that really shouldn’t be more than 3… I’m a firm believer that I should be able to convert my own psone games to use on my ps3-psp via’ a download rom creator(ie.), seeing as I already paid $50-$60 for them brand new years and years ago, instead to get that functionality, I have to either switch to homebrew or DL at $5-$6 cdn via’ the PSN, lol I now own Castlevania, hardcopy, have it DL’ed on my ps3 via psn, and it’s shared with my psp… and to top it off, Castlevania, was $10 download… hmmm.

If I was running PSN, and wanted to see sale records skyrocket, not cash per sale… I’d make a blu-ray game (DL version) $25-$50 depending, I’d make full games like Tekken or Gripshift $10-$20
I’d make casual games like Calling all Cars – Everyday shooter – Stardust, etc a Steady $5, and I’d make all PS-One classics $2-$5, $5 being the absolute maximum.

Two maps for a game should be $4 not $10, I’ve played my Resistance maps, once each, it was a simple change of scenery… same game.

I’d offer music downloads at $1 – $2 each, and tv+movie services at a monthly fee of $25 or less.

all the above mentioned, is considering, that I’m all powerful and can sway all other parties involved in the pricing, ie. Konami(ala’ Castlevania = $10) and Namco(ala Tekken = $30+), etc x 10

Anyway, ventilation over. I think PAIN if the dev’s consider it a ‘full-game’ should price in the $10-$20 range, if possible without sacrifice, lower, it’s just that some of us, are ‘collectors’ we like to buy everything, and not pick and choose, it gets a little pricey.

+ Kedaro on November 28th, 2007 at 8:50 pm said:

Maybe Sony should work out, a monthly fee for people who choose that route… unlimited download coverage… as long as they’re subscribed?

it’s what I’d do…

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on November 28th, 2007 at 10:42 pm said:

We can’t speak for Sony Europe everyone. What I can tell you is that they are working VERY hard to get PAIN out quickly. As soon as there is a date for PAIN Europe they will let everyone know. It should be “soon”. I can understand how gamers in other countries feel but rest assured we are doing whatever we can to shorten that time period. As we get into the “swing of things” on a world wide scale with future PAIN releases you should look forward to same day releases.

I know this won’t completely stop the flames but I wanted to let you know that it’s not that we are ignoring Europe or even making you guys take a back seat. Making a European PSN game takes more time. Sony Europe has a lot of countries to deal with (and languages) while us Americans usually just support English. We are hard at work knocking out these issues. One of the issues we had some funny exchanges about was just American slang.

Imagine explaining to a translator that when you get smacked in the “junk” that it isn’t trash we are talking about.

So there have been some growing pains. I think those are behind us now so look for all territories to be on the same page (at least with PAIN) going forward.

To answer your questions about the price point I think that 9.99 is actually a fairly good deal for what you get in PAIN. There is a lot of content there and instead of defending this by myself I will wait until people have played it and ask them to weigh in.

I know that when I was not a game maker and I saw a game for less than the HIGHEST price I used to ask myself: Why is it so cheap? Is there something wrong with this game? When in PAIN’s case it’s just what we thought was a good price for a new type of game that everyone wasn’t so familiar with. Gamers are always saying they want something different. We will see if PAIN is different enough. I think it is and it’s REALLY fun.

OH and more directly….

@ChaseGamez: About that custom soundtrack… Good idea. That’s something I am looking into.

@Kedaro: Honestly dude I think it’s a good deal at 9.99 I am not going to put my product against other PSN games (I think that’s bad form) but yeah I really do think 9.99 is a good price for what you get.

@40cal: Dude I was trying to take some vacation days. DENIED! No rest for the wicked.

@Jeigh: Amen. The crew at Idol Minds (PAIN Developers) deserve some SERIOUS props. They really did a bang up job IMHO

@Everyone: Can’t wait for your feedback. Make sure you hit the official site now. I will be posting some other announcements there soon.

+ thedragonrider on November 29th, 2007 at 3:31 am said:

i’ve heard all the excuses.
if the localisation is so hard (and i dont see how much there can be for a game like this, it’s not an rpg with reams of dialogue) then why not release the english language version, unlike the us many people in europe can speak more than one language so while some may be annoyed that they cant understand it many more will be happy to be able to play it.

and why is it localisation as always the very last thing that’s done?
“get the us version out then we might think about translating the game.”
call this an unfair criticism but treating what is clearly the most successful market for the ps3 as an afterthought is a monumentally stupid business decision.

the simple fact is far too many games are not being released when there has been time enough to translate them a dozen times over.

but hey, maybe there are genuine reasons why pain will not be out in europe for god knows how long (jan-feb 2008 according to reports from sony) but then in that respect this game will be in a minority.

tell you what, you set up a uk account and then compare the pittance we get with what you can download in the us store and then come back here and try to tell me i dont have a legitimate greivance.

+ TheDevilsJoker on November 29th, 2007 at 6:55 am said:

The logic of
‘People havent played this stuff before, so lets charge them more for it’
is so extremely flawed, i dont know if you’ve clicked, but that will make people think ‘Not worth the gamble’.
Introducing something new is about making is accessable, not expensive.

+ PS3Lee on November 29th, 2007 at 7:51 am said:

@ 99
I totally agree, why o why o why do they keep doing this to us europeans.
I can’t understand why they don’t just hold back the US version till the ‘translating’ is done and release it worldwide at the same time, that way no-one gets angry or annoyed.
And while I’m ranting, what ever happened to the european version of that poker game !!
Back to the topic, if this is really not getting to us till next year as some posts have said the novelty would have worn off and I won’t be bothered to buy this which is a shame, as I really would like to be excited by this, but delays kill the feeling and loyalty starts to slip…..