Uncharted 4

Bring the PAIN – Thursday

Jason Coker's Avatar + Posted by Jason Coker on Nov 27, 2007 // Associate Producer, SCEA

Hey, all. My name is Jason Coker, and I am the Associate Producer on the PS3 PSN title PAIN.

When people ask me, “Hey Coker, what project are you working on?” I reluctantly tell them that it’s PAIN. I say “reluctantly” because I have found that it’s pretty much impossible to do the game justice without actually having it right in front of someone to show it to them. Sure, I tell people that it’s a crazy game in which you launch a character from a giant slingshot into a downtown area and smash him into stuff and blow stuff up and you snatch Mimes out of the air so you can slam them through plate glass windows and you blast monkeys out the side of a building in an attempt to stop another player’s character from successfully crashing into bowling pins and you can play as a dude named Ed in a cow suit and so on and so on…

[catches breath]

…but it’s actually a lot more than that. Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you exactly what because it’s too impossibly fun to put into words. You’ll have to try it for yourselves, and you definitely won’t be disappointed.

What I CAN tell you is that it has been a blast to work on. It hasn’t been easy, but it sure has been hilarious. Here are just a couple of the gems I’ve heard (or said):

* “Coker, can you write up a description of a little person hip-hop pirate right quick?” (Yeah, I had the same reaction. You’ll see.)

* “Ummmm….who did the voice-over for that? That’s nasty.”

* “Hey man, if I get you a big glass of water, can you step into the recording booth and belch for about half an hour?”

* “Check the Leaderboards, Son. Spank. The. Monkey.”

* “Dude, I just really don’t think the farts are loud enough.”

* “Did you just grab that Granny by her head? Do it again! Do it again!”

* “That’s him right there. We call him the Ooch Master. He can’t be touched.” (You know who you are at Idol Minds, and I’m coming for you. The student has become the Master, baby!)

* “OH, *&%*!! THAT *^&%*#@ DONUT!!!!!!”

And that was just in one afternoon.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you about PAIN is that the game is really what you make of it. There is sometimes this misconception that it’s this cool experiment in physics that’s fun to watch. Hardly, it’s much, much more.

Fact is, I’ve been working on this game for quite a few moons, and I’m STILL finding new things to do and new trash to talk (I’m quite the PAIN Bowler, and I EARN my trash-talking rights, thank you very much).

Check it out when it hits PSN, and if you want some multiplayer action, come see me. You bring the Kool-Aid, and I’ll bring the PAIN!

In the meantime, check out the OFFICIAL PAIN SITE to stay hip to the world of PAIN.

143 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ linuxguru on December 1st, 2007 at 10:07 am said:

NOT free.

Have to pay .99 for each Character.
So it’s 1.98 for Cookie and Santa.

NOT a bug, NOT an error…just a sneaky move.

Tsk, tsk. (Any chance this is related to the ‘nickel-and-dime’ comment from Dylan Jobe (Warhawk)? “Not be some nickel-and-dime upgrade that takes advantage of our player community!!! (That’s my own personal opinion on DLC so I’ll get off my soapbox now)”

+ Stoffinator on December 1st, 2007 at 12:12 pm said:

You want $11 dollars for a game basically with no content? Then have the nerve to charge almost $2 dollars for extra characters? Don’t turn into EA Sony.

+ Danger-x on December 1st, 2007 at 1:22 pm said:

Sorry but I’m not paying you guys for this game! $9.99 Thats just ridiculous!!!.I mean wheres the tryout Demo for it anyway?..Lame!. And I’m very Disappointed for The Nov 29th Update for the PSN sucked so bad!..Come on Xmb for my PS3 So my friends can hear my music and that Patch for being able to chat without having to leave an online game! Damn Sony you guys had a whole year for this!.Hurry up already. =(

+ Teamkill on December 3rd, 2007 at 2:37 am said:

I’m starting to get really annoyed with the psn store.

Why do we have to wait so long for stuff in Europe. Cant they release an English only version and if you want other languages you may have to wait a while.

Why do we have to see adverts for stuff like PAIN and HVB months in advance, I was looking forward to PAIn this week and an outside chance of HVB, all we got on the EU store was the same trailer that’s been on the web for weeks.

Why do we have to wait for Thursday, and Why Thursday, online content should be released when it’s ready.

Why are we paying 1.5 x the US price for the same game or content (see the price of Motorstorm content on the US site vs EU site.)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..
Give us the same content at the same price, at the same time.

+ 25.year.old.german.child on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:23 am said:

come on, don’t put effort in translating into 120 languages, PAIN isn’t a game someone would not understand. we live in the 21st century, everybody should at least understand english…

i am european and i bought the us version. it’s a great game, props to the developers :D

+ zookey on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:52 am said:

@123 —-it is one thing for you, an everyday joe, to say everyone should speak English—-people would consider it a somewhat interesting and possibly relevant comment (not trying to be mean, but keep reading to see point)—if Sony said same thing–what do you think would happen? They would get a flame backlash way worse than what people on this board are doing.

Please people, Sony has no reason to screw you over with this game so stop with the conspiracy theory and save it for realms where it truly is warranted such as Gartsmann’s firing. They are working their tail off to get the product to you and they will have money once you buy it so there is no incentive to hold it back.

@122 the reason is cost of living, I bet Europe overall has a different ratio for that kind of stuff and goods generally cost more (do you pay more per console and per standard-on-blu-ray-game???)—kind of like how in the US different stuff will be priced differently in different states–not necessarily games (which are standardized in the US with MSRP) but stuff like food will cost totally different sometimes because some states, like California, are expensive to live in while others (like Montana, where I am) are way cheaper for various reasons……….might be the reason might not but I don’t think Sony has much to gain if they were jacking it up—because if they really did so unfairly someone could easily prove it and cause a media storm that would cost them more than the jacked-up-price of the DLC brought in–so there is incentive there to be fair…..

+ 25.year.old.german.child on December 3rd, 2007 at 12:32 pm said:

@zookey: i know, i know. just sayin’, that i also take all games in englisch, i don’t need german translation ;)

+ zookey on December 3rd, 2007 at 2:12 pm said:

true true I understand hehe (125)—but Sony would get ridden hard if they said that kind of thing :-)

+ 25.year.old.german.child on December 3rd, 2007 at 2:34 pm said:

sad but true :cry:

+ zookey on December 3rd, 2007 at 3:13 pm said:

yeah–so do most people in Europe speak English (never been there, only to Japan hehe!)

+ Armyless on December 3rd, 2007 at 10:50 pm said:

You want feedback? You’ve got it.

My wife LOVES this game.

That makes me a proud (and scared) husband. Hehehe

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:24 pm said:

@Armyless: Awesome. That makes ME proud too.
@Linuxguru: It’s not a sneaky move just an efort to allow you to purchase whatever content you like.

+ Connoisseur on December 3rd, 2007 at 11:30 pm said:

HAhah lovin this game~! Seriously didn’t want to pay 9.99 but i have to say this game is worth it for the laughs. Just don’t tell my Girlfriend.

+ gamenut6659 on December 4th, 2007 at 2:59 am said:

I have played for a couple days now and feel the price is justifiable.

It’s fun and as you said different, my buddies couldn’t believe it was a real game at first.

thanks

+ zookey on December 4th, 2007 at 9:01 am said:

Hey Travis!!!!! Yeah dude bowling rules!

+ chasegamez on December 4th, 2007 at 9:15 am said:

when is this game getting release

+ chasegamez on December 4th, 2007 at 9:18 am said:

my bad i meant High Velocity Bowling

+ TheTwelve on December 4th, 2007 at 10:28 am said:

PAIN is most definitely worth the money. Surprised they didn’t charge at least 15 bucks. There’s a lot to do in the game, a lot more than I thought. It truly is the ultimate party game and it supports rumble too, for those who’ve imported already. This is the kind of game I’ll put on when I got a bunch of my peoples over and they want to have some mindless fun that is also quality. I was surprised by the detail and what you can actually do in the game.

Games Radar called it one of the best games ever on the PS3 and tagged a 9/10 on it. I would agree.

Keep making new characters to throw into things…for $.99, I’ll buy ‘em all, especially if you put as much humor and time into the characters as the last two.

And for all of you cheap complainers, get a job or something. This is truly a game where the developers should have charged more.—-12

+ Xtrm07 on December 4th, 2007 at 11:58 am said:

This is a awesome game, hoping for a few add ons……..

+ coolieo_2k7 on December 6th, 2007 at 12:14 pm said:

uk store sucks! when is pain coming out in europe??

+ austinite04 on December 7th, 2007 at 10:52 am said:

Pain is a good game that lacks what HV Bowling has and that is, IT DOESN’t Have IN GAME MUSIC XMB. LAME SCEA, LAME. I paid 10 dollars for this game at least update the game to have in game music XMB like HV bowling. That music that comes with the game is very boring after about 5 minutes I turn on my XM radio so I don’t go insane from hearing the same old songs over and over again. Also give us more LEVELS and characters FOR FREE there is so much Ad’s in the game to where I feel it could be a free game anyways, but I want to say I detest XBOX LIVE! so don’t dissapoint anymore SCEA!

+ mokhet on December 7th, 2007 at 4:51 pm said:

@41

8 december and still no PAIN on europe PSN

+ mokhet on December 14th, 2007 at 1:05 pm said:

@41

14 december here and still no PAIN available on the european PSN.

Will it ever come to us ?

+ Pseudo_Ops on December 14th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

At this rate probably next year when we will get High Velocity Bowling. European PSN Store Sucks big time.

+ mokhet on December 22nd, 2007 at 11:17 am said:

@41

22 december and still no PAIN available here at PSN europe.

WE DO NOT NEED ANY TRANSLATION, GIVE UP THE BAD TRANSLATIONS (translators don’t even know the language they translate to and worst they never play the game they are translating) GIVE IT UP, AND BRING THE PAIN (and all the others games waiting) HERE WITHOUT TRANSLATION.

And since there is no update next week, PAIN will never come out from US in 2007. What a shame.

PAGE 1 2 3