PS4-The Order

New PSP Battery and Covers Coming Soon

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Nov 27, 2007 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Battery Pack and Cover set

Hi everyone. As you may have heard, we’re introducing a great solution to get longer battery life from your PSP. The new PSP Extended Life Battery Kit includes a 2200 mAh battery pack that can double the battery life of the new PSP model (PSP 2000). Because the extended-life battery is slightly thicker than the one that comes with the new PSP, we’ve included two custom covers in “Piano Black” and “Ice Silver.” Those of you with the original PSP (PSP 1000) may recall that we offered an extended life battery pack (the stamina battery) previously, and this battery remains compatible with that system as well.

The new battery kit will be available at retailers for $44.99 (MSRP) in mid-December – just in time to get you through your holiday travels and any long delays at the airports…

Battery Pack

128 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ TwoBlack4America on November 27th, 2007 at 6:15 pm said:

Cool.Can’t argue against longer battery life.

+ SinsToJudge on November 27th, 2007 at 6:17 pm said:

Thanks John, anything that gives me more playtime is appreciated. I’ll be picking up one of these when I trade my old fatty PSP for a new Slim one :)

+ chase on November 27th, 2007 at 6:18 pm said:

nice will it have in game xmb lol i just had 2 say that

+ zookey on November 27th, 2007 at 6:22 pm said:

NICE been waiting for this–now get on the camera and GPS hehe! Will be nice to finally have this puppy tho…

+ foolio_67 on November 27th, 2007 at 6:39 pm said:

I’ll probably pick one of those up sometime next year.

+ JmChile on November 27th, 2007 at 6:42 pm said:

cool i would defenetly buy this!

+ roku6wiz on November 27th, 2007 at 6:51 pm said:

Nice, i’ll have to pick that up when i buy a new psp, that’ll be cool having the extra battery length

+ Jaimz11785 on November 27th, 2007 at 6:54 pm said:

$45? yikes

+ Neil on November 27th, 2007 at 6:55 pm said:

Neato-roo.

+ Darkdrium777 on November 27th, 2007 at 7:08 pm said:

I piked up the stamina battery for the first gen PSP, and it’s a great purchase. Now you really have 8 hours of game play, even on the maximum luminosity setting. I don’t regret it at all.

By the way John, do you know where to get the video cable for the new PSP-2000 series? I didn’t see it anywhere in retailers near where I live (FutureShop, Best Buy, EB Games, Maison Sony (Sony shop exclusively), etc.) For information I’m in Quebec.

+ frito on November 27th, 2007 at 7:09 pm said:

I don’t have a PSP, but I can see the use in this…more battery life, more time playing games!

but $45 bucks for a battery?!?!?!?!?

another bad call Sony….

too bad, it seems that for every step forward, something makes you step 2 back..

+ Darkdrium777 on November 27th, 2007 at 7:09 pm said:

Oh boy, I forgot the ‘c’

*I picked up…

Sorry xD

+ tearsofash on November 27th, 2007 at 7:12 pm said:

They can charge 45 for such a battery, because it’s a high-end sort of battery. It’s not your mother NiMH rechargeable battery packs you buy at the Home Depot.

+ frito on November 27th, 2007 at 7:21 pm said:

I’d still like to see the manufacturing costs…even with advertising, I think $45 is steep!

but if it makes whiny kids happy, let their parents buy it for them! hallelujah!

But for those of us that actually work for our money…$45 is just retarded for a battery.

+ ihsnots on November 27th, 2007 at 7:29 pm said:

this is great just a heads up
what are those of us with the star wars white psp supposed to do?
don’t get me wrong i like mixing colors when i paint, just wish i didn’t have to on my psp.
can we get a white one in my stocking this christmas?

+ DustoMan on November 27th, 2007 at 7:33 pm said:

Can we get just the covers for those people that already own two original PSP batteries? I don’t want to pay for another battery. I just need the covers.

+ Queso on November 27th, 2007 at 7:53 pm said:

hey frito do you have any idea of how much lithium polymer ion batteries run?

then shut your hole, your ignorance is showing.

+ DevonTheDude on November 27th, 2007 at 8:00 pm said:

I heard about this at E3 07′ and when I got the slim it had a insert saying that the older battery was incompatible along with the old wall charger. Glad that announcement @ E3 was real.

+ avion on November 27th, 2007 at 8:02 pm said:

Where is the white cover for the Star Wars PSP?

+ Al2x on November 27th, 2007 at 8:07 pm said:

Any chance on buying just a battery, as I have the old PSP cheaper? I don’t wanna risk getting a garbage, fake battery on eBay. I have money, and I’m willing to give it to you Sony…All I want is a PSP battery.

+ Lp47 on November 27th, 2007 at 8:14 pm said:

To bad us earlier adopters, cant make use of this nice improvement.

+ EnigmaOppanax on November 27th, 2007 at 8:18 pm said:

I have been meaning to get the new PSP Slim for awhile now. Just dont have the money at the moment.

I sure would like the PSP to have more connectivity with the PS3…

+ linton on November 27th, 2007 at 8:20 pm said:

had my two psp’s stolen last Sunday afternoon, window was forced, pure luck they didn’t do a full search as they may have found my ps3 and ps2 and god forbid my original playstation

+ Purist on November 27th, 2007 at 8:30 pm said:

I’ve had the extended batteries for a while, and I love not having to worry so much about frequent charges. I play about 4 hours a day on commutes, so it’s great.

+ reson8er on November 27th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

I’d get it if it had a cover for the Ceramic White PSP.

+ darkiewonder on November 27th, 2007 at 8:33 pm said:

That’s a bit pricey for battery. 35 dollars would have been the perfect price ;(

+ nabokovfan87 on November 27th, 2007 at 8:43 pm said:

price is about double what i am willing to pay. same thing with the ps3 blu-ray remote. its just too expensive to make sense.

the old one sells for 20 bucks on amazon, and as for the remote, third party ones look better, support IR, and cost a few bones less.

+ Chezko on November 27th, 2007 at 8:51 pm said:

I am also voting for a white cover for the Star Wars PSP. I’d be ok with it not having the Darth Vader silk screen too.

+ Jeigh on November 27th, 2007 at 9:01 pm said:

@27 Nabokovfan87: What?? $25 is too expensive for a remote? You must be on one painfully air-tight budget if you need to save $2 after factoring in tax and S&H. Not to mention that you’d have to wait a week- I can go down to Best Buy, spend the extra $2 and enjoy it immediately (and without wasting a USB port that those third-party remotes require ’cause they refuse to make a Blue Tooth one).

@ Jeff Rubenstein (I’m of course just hoping you’ll read this) I read through your first post and I’d like to make a suggestion. It was kind of hard to follow what question you were responding to. I was wondering if you could include the number of the post for ease of use (sort of like what I did above).

Really, people who would be really, strongly considering this probably wouldn’t mind the price- the PSP Slim already has a longer battery life than the original, and I use the original without any problems battery-wise. This is more for the crowd that spends a lot of time on the bus or in the middle of nowhere with no plug-ins or jacks.

+ milhavoc on November 27th, 2007 at 9:07 pm said:

will these batteries be ok on a UK PSP model?

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 9:17 pm said:

yo John Koller more battery life & more time playing games is very cool but $45 bucks for a battery is too expensive.

+ Nauraushaun on November 27th, 2007 at 9:39 pm said:

Do you mean to say that all batteries now work on all PSPs? That new works on old, old works on new…???

+ Skater_Ricky on November 27th, 2007 at 9:58 pm said:

We all need a little more life in us all :D

+ tdh on November 27th, 2007 at 10:03 pm said:

Am I understanding this correctly? The new, slimmer, PSP requires a special back to hold the battery in because it’s thicker? But the original PSP does not because it itself is thicker?

I tried to get the extended battery when I first got my PSP and Best Buy just didn’t have them. Their site showed the picture of the extended battery, but they kept shipping me the normal one for extended price. I eventually just gave up, and never went anywhere with out my charge. This may be worthwhile picking up now.

John Koller's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 27th, 2007 at 10:47 pm said:

@ Jeigh (#29!!!!) – Yeah, that’s doable. And yeah, I told you I read this stuff!

@ tdh (#35) – You are correct – this battery is bigger than the default, hence the need for a different cover.

+ ghamdikh1 on November 27th, 2007 at 11:05 pm said:

@Jeff Rubenstein
yo Jeff more battery life & more time playing games is very cool but $45 bucks for a battery is too expensive.

+ Reluctant Hero on November 27th, 2007 at 11:19 pm said:

@ Jeff Rubenstein & John Koller:

What the white “Darth Vader” PSP Slim owners like myself? I’d like to have either a plain white battery cover or one with the Darth Vader silk screen.

So can you guys take of us? Thanks!

+ raymanxp on November 27th, 2007 at 11:26 pm said:

why not add the star wars white cover to this package? I highly doubt it would affect the cost of this package. I’d be interested if it included the white, but i guess i have to wait for an alternative :(

+ frito on November 28th, 2007 at 12:26 am said:

@17 Queso

Great response, do you have ANY facts to back up what you say, google some info then start being a douche, not in the reverse order.

it’s people like you who instantly flame others for not saying what you like to hear that we need the new mod.

god i hate little kids.

+ Jackal888 on November 28th, 2007 at 12:43 am said:

I hope you will be able to buy the cover separate. I already have the Stamina Pack 2200mAh.

Will I have to wait for third party covers?

+ Johnny Sasaki on November 28th, 2007 at 12:57 am said:

That’s awesome that we’re getting a new battery for our slims, but $45 is kinda steep, isn’t it? Don’t mean to sound ungrateful but DANG, I had a hard enough time affording all the great games this fall! :P

+ C-h-a-o-s on November 28th, 2007 at 1:49 am said:

Any plans on ever having a white cover? I feel as if I got the shaft because of my choice in color. Sniff Sniff!

Also if the powers at be happen to get word of this post, please for the love of all things that’s holy. When the limited edition Daxter and StarWars packs run out please continue to sell the colors alone. You can ask anyone that owned the original model if they would have liked a little of variety instead of just black, and the answer would most probably be YES!!.

+ tails-4 on November 28th, 2007 at 1:50 am said:

awesome
if it comes out in AUSTRALIA!!

+ Lord_Von_Punx on November 28th, 2007 at 1:59 am said:

ummm when does this come out? because i sent my broken psp in under warrenty and now i have that battery.. kind of a pain the battery cover dosent close compltey

+ zapruder on November 28th, 2007 at 3:13 am said:

I’d rather see those HD PSP Component cable instead of this so i can play games on my TV… Where is it? Why only the standard AV-Cable???…Guess why i wanted the Slim… right…TV Out….

+ Aythamie on November 28th, 2007 at 5:09 am said:

nice, only €30.
i’ll call a friend in the States and ask him to send me one :)

+ Gunwing on November 28th, 2007 at 5:31 am said:

Thank you Sony! Now we can get twice the barttery life outa the Slim! YAY!

BTW any idea what will be in the next PSP update? Alot of us wan’t to know just so we are ready.

Also we wan’t to know when the PSP store will get it’s first update to add in more PSone games, and some PSP only games we can DL off of the PSP store.

+ kurtkbee on November 28th, 2007 at 6:04 am said:

With this longer battery life, could it be possible to now give people 802.11g (~54mbits) wireless in the PSP as opposed to 802.11b (~12Mbits).

Since users are getting faster uplinks to the internet (in the US) thanks to FIOS and cable providers the possibilities of streaming data (movies,audio,games) from the PS3 to where ever i happen to be or maybe have better online (wireless) gaming performance would be beneficial.

-KBP
P.s. there are other possibilities such as voip or video conferencing that would benefit with a change in the wireless chipset. While more than likely a rumor, sometime ago i heard that the wireless chipset used was actually 802.11g but firmware downgraded to allow 802.11b……any truth ?

+ gamegenieny on November 28th, 2007 at 6:44 am said:

I don’t think I’ll get this simply because it makes my star wars slim just a white psp. Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of more battery time but I bought the star wars slim for a reason, this makes it irrelevant.

On a side note I also would like to see 802.11g support for the system.

+ Nakiro on November 28th, 2007 at 7:11 am said:

Hey Jeff

1) Does the new Lost and Found Treasure Map for Uncharted hint on a sequel?

2) Why is a big title like Little Big Planet lack in the news department, we haven’t heard any news on it for a long while. Yet it is a highly anticipated title.

PAGE 1 2