Overwatch

Dec 07

Dec 07

UT3 & PS3: ChChChChChaanges!

Tanya Jessen's Avatar Posted by Associate Producer, Epic Games

You know what’s crazy is that I can remember when I was entering my first year of high school and there was this game that all my friends were going nuts about. I went over to a friend’s house for a LAN session of Duke Nukem 3D and there instead, he was playing this little game called Unreal. I was already a huge fan of the genre, so it seemed natural that I fall headlong into it as well. After all, it was way ahead of the curve and had the most impressive enemy AI and graphics that I had ever seen.

Fast forward to 2006, and I’d received a job offer for an Associate Producer position at Epic Games to work on the exact franchise that had fascinated me almost exactly 10 years earlier. AHAHAHA OMGNUTS!! I mean, yeah – in this generation, growing up as a gamer, and then getting the opportunity to work at a company that epitomizes the games that you’ve loved for a big part of your life; it’s just nuts.

UT3 & PS3: ChChChChChaanges!

So anyways, 10 years later, and what’s changed? The series is still going strong with Unreal Tournament 3 and all of the great gameplay that UT fans love, but there is a big feature that we had been wanting to bring to the console platform for some time. Since a good portion of UT3’s development team got their game industry start in mod making; it only made sense that we would bring to PLAYSTATION 3 what PC owners have known for years with mod support. Mods, or modifications (to the original game they were based off of) can include new weapons or characters, models, meshes, maps, mutators; or they can even be entirely new games themselves using the editing tools, game assets, and code base.

You, my PS3-loving friends reading this, have the opportunity to reshape the distribution and development of user created content and game making. In a generation where making a game for a console is becoming restricted almost exclusively for larger companies due to cost, this is your opportunity to bring your idea to Sony’s platform via UnrealEngine3’s tool set.

But HOW you say?! You’re not a coder, and you haven’t modeled anything in your life?! Well, first step would be to watch some of the tutorial videos made by our talented LDs to get familiarized with the toolset. Next would be to get the PC version on your system and use the level editor tools to create a level while experimenting with UT3’s existing assets.

When you get more advanced, you could use the scripting language UnrealScript, Kismet (a visual based scripting system, so no coding knowledge required); or even your own 3D models to make something completely unique. When you’ve finished, just use UnrealFrontEnd (or ‘UFE’ – it’s included with the PS3 mod tools), a program that will automatically format your project into PS3-optimal packages. Just name your mod something cool, select your removable media, plug it into your PS3, import the mod, and you’re ready to play. By the magic of the programming team, any new maps or mutators will be automatically recognized in the menus. Important to note that if you’re not one of those creative types, you’re more than welcome to download any of this new content from a friend onto media and enjoy the mod revolution that way as well.

Right now, this tech is only available on the PS3 console, so this is my challenge to you, PS3 owners! Create the next big thing! Completely change the world of gaming as we know it! We can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Add Your Own

h3ro said:

December 7th, 12:52 pm

Day One purchase!!!

Gears of War Mod… MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

lukeb4dunk said:

December 7th, 12:54 pm

lol. How come when some see a pretty gaming woman, they go all nuts? Somehow, I don’t think, “OMG!!!11!!1 UR hot!1! U wanna date?” will get you very far with them…

Back on topic:

This is great news. Even though I’m not the most technical savvy guy in the world and probably never will attempt to make my own mod, this is definitely a huge step for console gamers. Thank you Epic! Can’t wait to see what PS3 gamers can do with these tools.

Kamahl said:

December 7th, 12:55 pm

Amazing game, getting it as soon as i can!

Agriel said:

December 7th, 12:58 pm

@artofwar420
Well I think I figured that part out, I was asking about the tools not on what I could make mods. I was wonder if the PS3 version will come with the moding tools. or if it will be a download or something like that. Go reread my post.

jumpship12 said:

December 7th, 12:58 pm

cant wait to get the game, and then to checkout this stuff. sounds like a blast

nexbico said:

December 7th, 12:59 pm

What is your PS3 screen name Jessen?

I will own you with my unreliable joystick!!! :)

Enforcer_X said:

December 7th, 1:00 pm

Where does one get these PS3 Mod Tools? Do they come on the PC version’s Disc and I just haven’t found them yet?

PC version rocks by the way!

Touch My Box said:

December 7th, 1:04 pm

To the guy referring to Ubisoft over-emphasizing Jade Raymond to help promotion of Assassin’s Creed… I don’t think Epic needs any more beautiful people to front their projects, CliffyB is already the face of Epic… I’m straight and all, but that man is so pretty, he even gets me all fired up.

Dingo_Egret said:

December 7th, 1:06 pm

I don’t mean to be negative b/c I love my PS3, but why would I want to buy the full version of UT3 for my PC just so I could use the mod tools, when I could play the PC version upon purchase. There would be no reason to buy the game for the PS3 after that.

I’m just wondering why I would want to buy the game twice!?

HanSolo said:

December 7th, 1:09 pm

they should make a game based on tanya jessen….

djtortilla said:

December 7th, 1:14 pm

awesome, please bring editor to ps3 version

CrimsonCalibur said:

December 7th, 1:15 pm

User created mods on the consoles. That is the future.

So far I have been impressed with all of the time/attention/praise Epic is giving to the PS3. They are definitely paving the way for all future developers.

Grym said:

December 7th, 1:18 pm

UT3 on PC is my favourite MP experience of the year. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I did.

The PS3 version looks awesome on the most recent 1up show.

pr1m3_5u5p3ct said:

December 7th, 1:21 pm

I can’t wait for this game!
Where can we get user created mods? Will there be mods on the store?

byrd864 said:

December 7th, 1:29 pm

forget making mods I just want to play this game. I’ve never played an unreal game and now that its finally on a console I will get this game sometime this month. I can hope for xmas.

Skerj said:

December 7th, 1:30 pm

It’d be great to offer a download code for some sort of standalone unrealed for the people who solely purchase the PS3 version and wish to get into modding. I already own the PC version and will be picking up the other next week but $120 for modding is kind of steep for some people.

enrichovega said:

December 7th, 1:44 pm

Can anyone confirm if the ps3 will have cross play with pc upon release or will this be added at a later date?

TwoBlack4America said:

December 7th, 1:46 pm

Cool! I can’t wait to be playing in some of these user-created mods.

Neil said:

December 7th, 1:47 pm

This is seriously huge for console games.

I’m buying this game next week JUST for the mods alone. I cannot wait and would like to see Sony market this or back it up more to the mainstream more. Sony you should create some contests or grab the best of the mods and stick them up on the PS store monthly for the mainstream gamers.

I mean it’s actually technically feasible for a modder to take the PC version of Gears of War and bring it over to the PS3.

Excellent job Epic and Sony.

subbed said:

December 7th, 1:51 pm

No PS3 can only play against PS3. I cant remember where I read that but it was directly from epic. I don’t think it will be added cause they slowed down the console version a little for controllers compared to keyboad and mouse. If I find the source again I’ll post the link.

zookey said:

December 7th, 1:58 pm

Phenomenal. I can wait for LittleBigPlanet a little longer knowing that this will be here in a few days…

#48 Viva La Revolution indeed bro!!!!

purple6haz said:

December 7th, 1:59 pm

Sony, WOW. I think we will look back to this time as the beginning of a new GOLDEN ERA in gaming. Thanks to Sony, PS3 and UT3’s forward thinking archetypes like this. Proud to be a PS3 owner.

Floyd Bishop said:

December 7th, 2:00 pm

I’m looking forward to this game!!

scottish.pride said:

December 7th, 2:03 pm

I can NOT wait to get this for xmas lol.. I’m not so sure about the editing stuff, but playing mods will be fun.

tdh said:

December 7th, 2:05 pm

I’m going to be extremely surprised if this requires you to buy the PC version of this game in order to get those tools. In the past you were able to download the UT server for a wide variety of platforms, along with the editor for FREE on their webpage. I don’t see why that would be any different now.

As far as Mouse & Keyboard. I think this game HAS to have that! Even the best our stick control can’t keep up with a keyboard and mouse. I will be playing with keyboards & mouse! Sniper Rifle Pleeeez!

djroberts said:

December 7th, 2:05 pm

You’re pretty hot, thanks for the info. Time for someone to make a Gears of War mod for the PS3 :)

Draicus said:

December 7th, 2:06 pm

The first person to create a Gears of War styled game mod (Cogs of Strife!) with the UE3 editor for the PS3 wins the awesome-prize of the decade!

TheApprentice said:

December 7th, 2:10 pm

omg…..
I’m so excited for this game…

UT fan since the beginning….
Can’t wait to get the game!!!!

Good Job Epic!

TheDevilsJoker said:

December 7th, 2:13 pm

Wow! I hope they revamp the PS-store and add a ‘Mod’ section to it, and have the interface alot more community based, uploading your own mods to it, like LBP. That would be awwwwwwwwsome

mastershake100 said:

December 7th, 2:21 pm

hey its the DDR chick, you look good and you make awesome games too, i think a challenger has arrived for jade raymond lol!

TheDevilsJoker said:

December 7th, 2:26 pm

Mastershake, i havent seen tanya making orgasmic sounds and giggling like a school girl infront of her game for the cameras, so i doubt it.

Maestr02 said:

December 7th, 2:29 pm

Man this is great. I heard that the ps3 would be able to run custom mod’s so I picked up my copy of ut3 for PC a week ago and have started workign on a map specifically for the PS3. The new editor is a dream to use comparatively speaking to previous builds. Cant wait for monday!

MrCamo said:

December 7th, 2:32 pm

I think i want this game, could somebody answer the questions that are stacking up so i can decide? Part of a good game is the support staff behind it, make a good first impression and answer us. Will there be a way to create mods without buying two versions? I do not want to use my PC for anything but business, and mu console for gaming. I have made a descision not to buy console games, this will not change due to a merketing scheme that makes people nuy a PC game.

JDPoZ said:

December 7th, 2:37 pm

Awesome news. THIS is a game that is going to be a lot better on PS3 than on Xbox 360.

Calvinwilliams said:

December 7th, 2:40 pm

My mate did his work experience for Sony (Coz his english teachers husband works there the lucky get :P) and he got to play UT3 all this week, he said it is the best game he’s ever played on but (i cant remember what theyre called :P) the big tripod things are annoyin to play against. Oh and the AI on your team arent as good as the ones against you. But overall he loved it and the single player campaign :). Just thougt id let you know guys
Calvin

mastershake100 said:

December 7th, 2:40 pm

devils, theres still time, theres still time, we can wait.

mastershake100 said:

December 7th, 2:44 pm

“I do not want to use my PC for anything but business, and mu console for gaming. I have made a descision not to buy console games, this will not change due to a merketing scheme that makes people nuy a PC game.”

i havent read a post that contradictary in my life!

Seanscythe2 said:

December 7th, 2:52 pm

Any word on Splitscreen game play?

ace2ace said:

December 7th, 2:58 pm

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

I’m totally pumped for this!!!!!

fuzzbuns said:

December 7th, 2:58 pm

This game looks like it’ll be sweet. Hopefully we get some good mods quick. Well, considering the games been out on the PC for a few weeks there should be a few already out for download.

Jaden Hybrid said:

December 7th, 3:08 pm

One question : 1080i support I hope it dosen’t downscale……….

player66 said:

December 7th, 3:19 pm

Wow. A girl. Oh yeah, Gamespot SUCKS!!!

Hiroken said:

December 7th, 3:32 pm

Wow, amazing. Thanks!

Lp47 said:

December 7th, 3:34 pm

Thankyou Epic games for giving us (PS3 owners) an opportunity to enjoy one of the great games your company makes. I will try out the MOD’s and see what i can come up with.

Also now that you guys have experience with the PS3 and have built a whole game for the PS3. Why not bring Gears of War 2 to the PS3. Im sure many of us PS3 owners would love to play Gears 2. But spending $300 on a 360 just to play one worthwhile game doesnt make sense. I like Gears of War alot but buying a 360 is not worth the money.

Also you guys mentioned PS3 development went well, so why not maximize profits and put it on the PS3. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for listening, and hopefully we will see some of your other awesome franchises on the PS3.

Lp47 said:

December 7th, 3:40 pm

Hey Tanya why don’t you sweet talk your boss into bringing Gears of War 2 to PS3.

Who else wants Gears for PS3?

DeejayKnight said:

December 7th, 3:49 pm

I’m waiting patiently with $50 for this title right here. It’s a day-one purchase, and I can’t wait to try out a total conversion mod – there’s bound to be one. :D

Thanks for the update on the UE3 specific tools we’ll be using. I think I’ll crack open 3DS Max again, so I can start working on something awesome!

Solace. said:

December 7th, 4:32 pm

@TANYA!

Please clear this up for us!

So do we really have to buy both the PC AND PS3 versions to make he mods?!?!?!?

If we buy the game for the PC, why the heck would we want to but the PS3 version, also??

I’m sure there was some misunderstanding, right? Will the PS3 version ship with a seperate disc for the mod-creating on the PC?

Because I hardly think anyone will ever buy both…

thanks for any answers you can give!

Coolwater said:

December 7th, 4:35 pm

Mmm… attractive women and gaming. I love it!!

But i have a REAL question here. You say, “get the PC version on your system and use the level editor tools to create a level while experimenting with UT3’s existing assets.”

Does that mean i need to spend another $50-$60 just to get the editing tools??

Why isnt this included with the PS3 version??

Why not allow a download from the PC version of the PSN Store??

I was excited about the possibilities, but making the editor an extra purchase just makes me not want to bother. Please tell me the information is incorrect and that you’ve got a “free” way to distribute the editing tools.

My suggestion is the PC/PSN Store.

rahstar2003 said:

December 7th, 4:50 pm

I might not be able to get this game day one, but i will get it. You’ve earned a great deal of respect in the industry, especially ps3 owners epic.

SinsToJudge said: