PS4-The Order

PLAYSTATION Network Cards Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Dec 14, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

If you stopped by one of of the major gaming sites in the last day or so, there’s a good chance you’ve seen one of these stories confirming the existence of PLAYSTATION Network cards, or the debut of such cards in Japan.

We’ve heard the call – usually around the time we update the PLAYSTATION Store – from loyal PS3/PSP owners who’d like to give (or receive) these cards as a gift, and from those who’d like an alternative to using a credit card to purchase things on the PLAYSTATION Store. So here’s an update: Yes, the option many of you have been asking for – PLAYSTATION Network Cards – are coming, and should start appearing at retailers in early ’08. The cards will be redeemable via the PLAYSTATION Store for PC, and on the PLAYSTATION 3 to supply the wallet with funds to spend on games, add-ons, and other paid content.

We’ll continue to keep you updated here on the PlayStation Blog as their arrival grows nearer.

169 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ The Lost on December 14th, 2007 at 11:06 am said:

Glad to see theyre coming… too bad yall missed out on a ton of money from christmas gifts

+ Ghostm on December 14th, 2007 at 11:09 am said:

Would’ve made an awesome gift! Better late then never, like my mom usually say.

Nice move Sony.

+ B1ack_Mage on December 14th, 2007 at 11:17 am said:

About time! I’ve only been asking for 4 stragight months for them. Better late then never I guess. I wouldn’t be surprised if PSN sales drastically grow. Thank you.

+ craigiversen on December 14th, 2007 at 11:17 am said:

Extremely off-topic, but I honestly have no-where else to go about this. I’ve looked elsewhere for contact details and found nothing.

Is someone at Sony or London Studios aware of the absolute catastrophe that the launch of Singstar’s online component is turning into?

Is it getting worked on hard?

Any idea, of how long?

Alternatively,who can I contact on this one?

Please, I’ve checked dozens of forums, and this is one of the biggest online problems I’ve ever seen affect everyone who owns a game.

+ Rogerjak on December 14th, 2007 at 11:17 am said:

YAY!! This cards will be great!

+ KnaveX on December 14th, 2007 at 11:17 am said:

Yes! Thanx for confirming (even if it was already obvious) I love you guys! It’s like opening my very first PsOne all over again.

+ The_Rick_14 on December 14th, 2007 at 11:28 am said:

I will finally be making store purchases. Starting with High Velocity Bowling. Hopefully early ’08 means early, EARLY, ’08. lol

+ Dan-I-Smith on December 14th, 2007 at 11:31 am said:

WØØT! Are you sure your not a candy company Sony? cuz this is just too sweet!

Kinda late for the holidays. But your gonna bank on this for sure.I know we are gonna see another round of sales on download content, right? lol

ANY Info/Action on PSP or PS3 accessible PSP/PC store would be the cherry on my Xmas sundae! thnx.

+ leetfoo on December 14th, 2007 at 11:32 am said:

will these cards be region specific?

+ OrganicShadow on December 14th, 2007 at 11:33 am said:

Guys if it’s off topic then send them a message via the contact form. They keep telling us again and again that they are checking that and they URGE us to use that form instead. Don’t make everyone else suffer through your off-topic questions and complaints.

If these cards become a reality soon I will try to buy them instead of using my debit card. I don’t feel comfortable knowing that my PSN account is tied to it.

+ Solace on December 14th, 2007 at 11:35 am said:

Awesome news.
Yet another “we want” to cross off the list.
And people think Sony isn’t listening…

+ DarKaoZ on December 14th, 2007 at 11:38 am said:

FINALLY!!

Now I can stop looking at familiars and friends face when I ask them to use their Credit Card. Arg… this was a bit annoying and it lasted for 1 year.

+ subbed on December 14th, 2007 at 11:39 am said:

Tell the cards are available we can’t cross them off the list. Good to hear though that the release is getting closer for the cards.

+ tearsofash on December 14th, 2007 at 11:40 am said:

Can GAP members get a free complimentary PSN card? XD

+ Kedaro on December 14th, 2007 at 11:43 am said:

really trying not to be ignorant or anything, but I wanted to ask, what the heck took so long on this particular subject, there have been people with arms flailing, who have access to cash but not credit… plastic money has not taken over yet… cold hard cash still talks up a storm.

+ Necrid on December 14th, 2007 at 11:44 am said:

Eric or Jeff, will there be a worldwide, simultaneous release? I would really like to know, since I live in Europe and we tend to get interesting stuff later than Americans.

Thanks.

+ Kedaro on December 14th, 2007 at 11:46 am said:

@ leetfoo,

I’d guess probably they will be region specific, seeing as people who live in USA will want cards that show them US$, not Euro’s etc… but if you are wondering if you’ll be able to use a euro card, My guess would be it would probably work, not sure about conversion though… might need to be a euro account.

+ Ramage on December 14th, 2007 at 11:47 am said:

lol about time, I actually asked for these for christmas from a few people…only to find out they didn’t actually exist. I had just assumed it was a good way to get more ppl to spend money but either way I’m glad they’re comin’….hopefully in time for my birthday in Feb

+ C-h-a-o-s on December 14th, 2007 at 11:49 am said:

Great, I hope by early 08 you mean January 1st.

Being a GAP member I have to side with #14 “tearsofash” it would be a great gift :).

+ Kedaro on December 14th, 2007 at 11:52 am said:

@16 Necrid,
It’s a give and take kinda’ world, you guys get some American stuff later…
North Americans get European stuff later… I think it just depends on which games end up generating most demand, I know my gf is right ticked she can’t get ps3 singstar yet… tell you what, you go breath down the throats of SCEE, and I’ll go breath down the throats of SCEA, and maybe we can agree on some kind of time machine plan that will allow people to translate their games for all the 400,000,000 or so Euro languages, then travel back in time, and release simultaneously. :D

So if American games are delayed because it needs to be localized for European customs, then what’s Euro’s excuse for witholding games already in english, french, and spanish etc etc… Is it to get back at us I wonder?… lol

+ Ebisch on December 14th, 2007 at 11:53 am said:

SHAZAM

+ Snap on December 14th, 2007 at 11:54 am said:

Excellent, thanks Sony!

+ Stoffinator on December 14th, 2007 at 11:54 am said:

Thank you thank you thank.

I was wondering if you guys were ever going to get these out. You could be making so much more money. :-P

+ Tiduz on December 14th, 2007 at 11:58 am said:

Mr Lempel. do you by any chance know if this is coming to Europe (Netherlands) As well? I really want to buy some games and content on the PSN but i dont have a creditcard.

Recently Wirecard was blocked , so there is absolutely no way for me to get content :(

If there is any information on this it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

+ aaquib on December 14th, 2007 at 12:01 pm said:

Great, thanks! I just hope you guys hurry up and get downloadable movies, tv shows and music so I can use the cards for more than games.

And while you’re here, Eric, Im going to ask the infamous question, where is in-game XMB? Can you give us an update on when it may come?

+ grooveska on December 14th, 2007 at 12:07 pm said:

Excellent news. There will be things people will buy off the store that they wouldn’t necessarily use their own money for but would use a gift card from someone else to make a purchase.

+ PSPMAN07 on December 14th, 2007 at 12:13 pm said:

I’m glad to hear about this, I have a CC connect to my PS3, but sometimes I don’t feel like using it and other times it might be a hassle. However with this I can just buy a PSN Card and use it. This is definitely great news

+ coolguy2000 on December 14th, 2007 at 12:14 pm said:

Finally, thank you Sony.

+ toolfan2007 on December 14th, 2007 at 12:14 pm said:

Will they be coming to European Retailers too? Or is it just a Japan and US affair?

+ cmargary on December 14th, 2007 at 12:18 pm said:

Wow… one of the best news in December for non credit card owners and for those who SONY don’t accept their credit card…
Receive this card as a gift? how you will make that or just simple as giving the coupon code to another from the list?

Anyway I would not say smart move because is a little late but i would say that your PS Store games will raise in sales.

+ Neil on December 14th, 2007 at 12:23 pm said:

Great news. I would have asked for these during Xmas but better late than never…I’m sure my reply sounds exactly like everyone else’s on here.

+ DankandSticky on December 14th, 2007 at 12:35 pm said:

Some one needs to learn about marketing over there… what are you doing!!! take a hint from nintendo ever and you might make some real money….. They just announce a feature in theyre store that lets people buy gifts for other wii friends….. that equals millions of dollars in for NOTHING…..meanwhile you people say,,,sometime in 2008, your idiots, YOUR DEVELOPERS ARE KEEPING YOU ALIVE !!!! FIRE YOUR MARKETING TEAM AND START FROM SCRATCH…..

NOW DO SOMETHING RIGHT AND PUT

TRIALS OF TOPOQ

INTELLIGENT QUBE

ON THE PSN!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!

+ RicardoG on December 14th, 2007 at 12:38 pm said:

Is there any word of when the update with the DIVX is coming out?

+ odz on December 14th, 2007 at 12:47 pm said:

Thankyou!

+ C-h-a-o-s on December 14th, 2007 at 12:51 pm said:

Can you tell us what denominations the cards will come in?

+ Razrsharp on December 14th, 2007 at 12:52 pm said:

Yes, Thank You Sony. I have so much games that I could get now.

+ rsx3.2 on December 14th, 2007 at 12:56 pm said:

YES SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can finally download all those great PSN games. THANKS FOR LISTENING.

+ njpunk24 on December 14th, 2007 at 12:58 pm said:

Nice job Sony. I’m sure this will make a good amount of people happy. Hell, I might even pick some up as I’ve been a fraud victim in the past (not fun). I hate having my CC’s on ANY page.

+ Viper7 on December 14th, 2007 at 1:04 pm said:

Its about Time theyd showd up. Relase in US should mean that they will show up in Europe sometime soon.

Gonna get the biggest one available first thing they arrive. Super stardust, folklore add ons, warhawk add on, super rub a dub! finaly!

+ afrosheen on December 14th, 2007 at 1:09 pm said:

Very late. Seems like this would have in place before Christmas. Better late than never?

+ Pseudo_Ops on December 14th, 2007 at 1:11 pm said:

This is great.
Just one simple question tho…

Can the Network cards be used in any teritory ? i.e NA Store / UK Store / JPN Store etc ….

+ DigiTaL_ on December 14th, 2007 at 1:14 pm said:

good, now maybe i can actually get to play GT5:P, geez talk about being left in the dark….

+ TwoBlack4America on December 14th, 2007 at 1:17 pm said:

About time.Glad they’re finally here!!

+ Edddd on December 14th, 2007 at 1:35 pm said:

I can’t believe how incredibly mis-informed you are. Network cards haven’t just “debuted” in Japan, they’ve been out for months. They just added the Y3k and Y5k cards to the existing range yesterday, that’s all.

It’s pretty hilarious that the director of PSN operations doesn’t know this.

+ KnaveX on December 14th, 2007 at 1:40 pm said:

Thanks again Sony, you guys are gonna make huge profit from this, like nintendo has with the virtual console and the wii points, the only difference is that you guys aren’t money grabbin pigs that base your biggest profit on emulating every single retro game in history and selling it for an unfair price. BTW, I’m all for wii, but selling an old game for 10 bucks that I could easily emulate on my PC for free if I wanted to makes them money grabbing pigs. Can’t Wait! Hey guys could you tell us what amounts are going to be released, We’ve already seen the $20 so what else?

+ Destroyer41139 on December 14th, 2007 at 1:46 pm said:

I will be getting some of these psn cards for future purchases nice move sony.

+ reza on December 14th, 2007 at 1:52 pm said:

So are these cards not coming to Canada?!
By the way, Eric, have you ever noticed the rate of CAD to USD is almost 1? So why should the Canadians pay more for everything on PSN?! (33% more than the American fellows!)
Thanks

+ androvsky on December 14th, 2007 at 1:58 pm said:

Btw, there appears to be an enhanced version of Super Stardust HD in a certain region’s PSN store that looks like it was posted too early. It shows expansion packs, but doesn’t have them for sale yet, but the new version of SSHD apparently has some… upgrades. ahem. Since it’s already out in some places, could we get a press release and a solid release date (next Thursday being the correct answer, hehe)?

+ ace2ace on December 14th, 2007 at 2:03 pm said:

finally… THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!

now maybe christmas could come early for some of us and we could see those cards, say, next week…

+ eceShadow on December 14th, 2007 at 2:11 pm said: