PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Firmware Update (v2.10)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Dec 17, 2007 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Firmware Update v2.10 is now live. This new system update enhances media playback on the PLAYSTATION 3 in a number of ways that the PS3 community has indicated are important.

We are introducing a much-requested video playback format with this update: DivX and VC-1 (WMV) videos become playable in the Video section of the XMB. This update also brings the PS3’s Blu-ray drive up to Profile 1.1. “Picture in Picture” and other enhancements become available on Profile 1.1 compatible Blu-ray discs.

A voice changer feature is added, enabling you to change the tone of your voice during voice or video chat.

As always, we’re committed to enhancing PLAYSTATION 3 functionality, and we’ll continue to post firmware update details on the blog as they are released.

403 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9

+ GibbShift on December 18th, 2007 at 8:15 am said:

Nice. Totally in love with my new Earth visualizer.

+ scorpio on December 18th, 2007 at 8:21 am said:

Great news, I have been waiting for DIVX support I will test it out tonght..

Thanks…

+ naughtyco on December 18th, 2007 at 8:26 am said:

That Earth visualizer was a pleasant surprise.

+ incyi on December 18th, 2007 at 8:35 am said:

Hello
You can delete BD Data Utility isn’t that wrong ?
A bug :D

+ hesido on December 18th, 2007 at 8:39 am said:

Very good update. I hope you add subtitle support, but I am guessing movie studios would not want that :P (Don’t worry, we are spending (with my wife) at least 600 dollars each year for movie-going and some 150 dollars for my DVD collection, but DivX support without subtitles is useless for me.) A lot wouldn’t care but my native language is not English and I like to watch with closed captions etc, otherwise I can’t understand most parts :)

+ mntwister on December 18th, 2007 at 8:45 am said:

Thank you Sony for this update. I also look forward to (I hope soon) the BD2.0 update because Lionsgate is coming out with titles in January that use this.

For me, the most important update has yet to be done, and that is DTS HD/MA decoding. All discs from Fox, Close Encounters from Sony, and now New Line discs use this format, so it would be very impoprtant to do this upgrade as soon as possible, alot of movie fans eagerly awaiting this one more than anything else.

My Playstation 3 is now 2 weeks old, I got the 60gb so I could play all ps2 games. I have to say, being an electronics nut for most of my life, that this is the nicest piece of electronics I have ever owned. Bought it as a blu-ray/movie player, and for the first time I am really getting into gaming. By the way, one of the best 1080p upscalers for dvd on the market.

Please hurry with the DTS HD/MA upgrade.

+ juanleche on December 18th, 2007 at 9:11 am said:

ERIC READ:

pointing out that the when using the web browser I’ve had several system freezes, also 30 – 40 % of wmv and divx clips I downloaded are ‘unsupported data’
Also OS2 games at Full Screen do not fill up the FULL SCREEN!!! – you guys fixed this but then took it away!!!

When will someone show enough integrity to acknowledge the request many of us have about supporting upscaling from 720p to 1080p for all PS3 games

stop throwing away money Eric!!!!

+ grommet on December 18th, 2007 at 9:15 am said:

The licensed DivX support is good, and seems to play well with XviD also. Thanks, Sony.

However, the new WMV support is poor simply because WMA Pro audio is not supported. The problem is all WMV (and WMV-HD) files with multichannel audio use WMA Pro as it’s audio codec, and they playback silently on PS3. Oh, well. Just a little disappointing that the advertised WMV support is incomplete.

+ un4gvn94538 on December 18th, 2007 at 9:25 am said:

voice changer?! stupid and will eventually get annoying. pip in blu ray? why do i need to see people when i can hear thier commentary? are they going to make funny faces? i dont get it! wheres my dts ma decoding?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

+ Croweyes1121 on December 18th, 2007 at 9:32 am said:

@125: Open your HD mov file with quicktime. Go to FILE, EXPORT, then choose MOV to MPEG-4. Video on passthrough, audio on passthrough (or AAC if passthrough is greyed out). Hit okay. Takes less than 30 seconds and you get a PS3-compliant mp4 file with UNTOUCHED video and, if audio passthrough works, untouched audio as well. I do it all the time…and could care less if Sony adds HD QT support or not…it already works.

+ bennibrasco on December 18th, 2007 at 9:42 am said:

Does this mean people will be using this voice changer during online gaming? If you can do this, can you include a virtual [DELETED] slap in the next update for people who get annoyed by other people using the voice changer?

+ retsetone on December 18th, 2007 at 9:53 am said:

Great job guys!

+ p-s-3 on December 18th, 2007 at 9:53 am said:

SEE SONY!
A LOT of people
WANT
FULL
B/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They WANT to play ALL there PS1+PS2 games on there PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

+More PS2 games work on my PS3 now
;-P (after the new update)

Thanks, Good work Sony;)

+ kspraydad on December 18th, 2007 at 9:53 am said:

Wondering why a MAJOR advance like remote play of PS1 titles doesn’t get mentioned in the firware update faq?

+ ubiquityxx on December 18th, 2007 at 10:11 am said:

Glad to see the update, but please include Position Memory for the Blue ray player. It’s silly to have to restart the DVD after power-off when I should be able to resume watching a movie where I left it off.

My $75 Sony DVD player has that feature.

For those who don’t know what position memory is, it allows you to stop a DVD, turn off the unit, and come back at a later time resuming where you left off, without having to bookmark, or search for the chapter you left off at.

Most DVD players support “remembering” up to 6 DVD’s at a time. This is a key piece of functionality and it is surprising its not included in a next gen DVD player such as the PS3.

+ Blown2Bits on December 18th, 2007 at 10:15 am said:

Hi guys, I love the new v.2.10 PS3 firmware update just for the fact of the new visualization of the earth while listening to music. Here is the thing though….we have DivX support but I still can’t watch DivX videos on the DivX/Stage 6 website with the PS3 browser. This is the feature I was looking for and now that it doesn’t work I feel totally let down. Do you guys have any information on this problem at all and whether or not it will be addressed? Thanks guys you are doing a great job, keep it up and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. :)

+ mntwister on December 18th, 2007 at 10:15 am said:

When you do DTS HD/MA, please have it convert to PCM so that all of us with older receivers can decode it.

+ Daver on December 18th, 2007 at 10:15 am said:

Nice update!!! the new vizualiser is awesome too… Thx :)

+ njpunk24 on December 18th, 2007 at 10:18 am said:

NEED TO BE ABLE TO ENABLE MEDIA SERVER WITHOUT GETTING KICKED OFF THE PSNETWORK. FIX. NOW. FIX. NOW. YOU CAN’T SOLVE SOMETHING BY TURNING OFF A FEATURE YOU HAVE ON YOUR MACHINE. THAT’S POOR BUSINESS. FIX.

+ Suntop on December 18th, 2007 at 10:28 am said:

#164 Just make a bookmark or use the scene selection takes a few seconds or just hit the chapter fwd till you get back to where you are. The PS3 is a GAME SYSTEM. Remember this is its primary role other than a Blu-ray 1.1 movie player now. And Blu-ray works alot diffrent than DVD. It may not be possiable to do that with Blu-Ray like dvd players does with DVD Movies.

Since all it saves is the checksum of the disk and the title, chapter and time into that chapter.

Unless they update that in a profile you won’t get it. Dont be lazy that is what is wrong with the world they want everything to be done by the push of one button…

THANK YOU SONY THANK YOU SONY THANK YOU SONY THANK YOU SONY

Even though you had a bad rap last year, you guys made up for alot of your misendevors by updating the sixaxis to replace the battery, and fixed alot of the bugs and now included divx. Turning the PS3 effectively into a Multimedia box short the “DVR” Unless you can include a USB VIDEO CAPTUREING The PS3 will not be perfect but it is a great multimedia center that is better than the othes out there. REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS A GAME SYSTEM NOT A COMPUTER. :P

+ TwoBlack4America on December 18th, 2007 at 10:31 am said:

Awesome update!

+ Crumpilstilskin on December 18th, 2007 at 10:33 am said:

Apparently they failed to mention one other feature of this update….

REMOTE PLAY OF ALL PS1 GAMES!!!!!!
DOWNLOADED VERSIONS AND ORIGINAL DISCS!!!!!!!

CONFIRMED!

+ davivman on December 18th, 2007 at 10:35 am said:

@Jeff: I just read a report on PS3Fanboy that said that the new 2.10 Firmware allows you to play any PS1 game on a PSP over Remote play. That is HUGE news that you guys should promote. People are reporting that it works with ANY PS1 game in the disk drive (including FF7, MGS, and other faves). Freaking Awesome!

+ foolio_67 on December 18th, 2007 at 10:39 am said:

Looks like a good update!!

+ Bender Rodriguez on December 18th, 2007 at 10:42 am said:

A billion thanks guys over at Sony. WMV and DivX playback is sooooooo much more handy than having to convert all these vids to MP4 and lose a ton of quality. This update was great.

+ FarFlung1 on December 18th, 2007 at 11:04 am said:

I would also really like to acces the XMB in game. thanks sony

+ chip5541 on December 18th, 2007 at 11:09 am said:

I love easter eggs as much as the next person but with the updates (esp for sites trying to be as complete as possible) perhaps they should really give us a little more info on what is included with teh updates.

That being said I LOVE the earth music display. I hope they are able to expand that concept with additional planets or perhaps a flight through the solar system. (hint)

+ traukostar on December 18th, 2007 at 11:21 am said:

I just cant understand why the XBOX have Divx Ultra:

With:
- File size playback up to 4GB
- Interactive video menus
- Chapter/scene selection
- Up to 8 subtitles
- Multiple audio tracks

And the playstation 3 have an incomplete update… divx support is awesome but with the 2 gb limit and without subtitles, its just useless….. Im very dissapointed.

+ Mike. T on December 18th, 2007 at 11:27 am said:

hi

in the future can we have a password for the user when you turn on the PS3? so i can lock it up when visitors come over my house and so they dont mess with my settings in the PS3 and such.

thanks

+ blizzard182 on December 18th, 2007 at 11:52 am said:

How about getting our questions answered?

Yeah it is a nice update. All of us were asking for Divx Support.

Anyway, I had to send my PS3 to repair and today I find out if I need to buy another one or if I can fix it (If I have to buy another one..it won’t be for a long time)

+ flammenwurfer on December 18th, 2007 at 11:55 am said:

Thank you so much Sony! Wonderful update!

I don’t remember seeing anybody requesting this feature, but I would like to see it. Are you planning on implementing an RSS feature to download/stream podcasts and video podcasts like on the PSP?

I would find this feature very useful.

Once again, THANK YOU for continually updating your already amazing PS3!

+ Sora57 on December 18th, 2007 at 12:04 pm said:

ERIC: The Remote Play ability for PS1 games is awesome! Why don’t you advertise this in your post?????

+ tluper on December 18th, 2007 at 12:05 pm said:

so… just out of the ol curiosity… can i go to say… quicksilver and just stream movies… just like my mac? i don’t really download movies… but i stream tv shows and old movies all of the time…

i want to watch my sites… can someone help me watch my sites… the uke fell of the shelf there… bounced of the laptop and… nope… no sites….

+ Draicus on December 18th, 2007 at 12:30 pm said:

None of my HD .WMV videos have any audio, but other than that this is a great update. Finally the system supports video codecs that people acutally USE.

Cheers.

+ Scarecrow on December 18th, 2007 at 12:36 pm said:

I was blown away by the new music visual player addition….

Have you guys seen that? Seriously listening to music hasn’t been this fun……..I could literally look at the world spinning while listening to music for hours and it’s always different too.

I really think they should add more of these visual players. And utilizing ps3′s graphics with it makes it so much more beautiful.

Love the update overall, DVix is really awesome.

+ Pseudo_Ops on December 18th, 2007 at 12:47 pm said:

Please remove the 4Gb limit for movie files. I have numerous mp4 files in HD created with my SONY HD CAMCORDER and CAN’T PLAY THEM ON MY PS3 !!

SONY PS3 IS INCOMPATABLE WITH OTHER SONY PRODUCTS !!

Absolutely Ridicolous !!

+ Draicus on December 18th, 2007 at 12:50 pm said:

@Psuedo_Ops:
Cut your movies into segments with some sort of editing software (there should be some that came with your camcorder).

+ Pseudo_Ops on December 18th, 2007 at 12:55 pm said:

But why should anyone spend time in doing that, it would be easier to lift the 2Gb limit so that it can be a straight foward transfer and play the file straight away. ??

(Sorry the previous post I meant 2Gb not 4Gb)

+ mgillespie on December 18th, 2007 at 12:59 pm said:

I don’t actually keep much music on my PS3′s HDD, I stream it via DLNA, using TwonkyMedia.

The current implementation of playlists does not allow me to use URL’s to add media.

It would be great if it did, or even better, allow import of M3U and PLS files…

+ SillyHatMafia on December 18th, 2007 at 12:59 pm said:

Nice update guys, i dig the WMV ( I made an awesome video making fun of St. Anger from Metallica, and is WMV. ) and now i can play it on PS3 ! lol

+ Ultima-Bahamut on December 18th, 2007 at 1:02 pm said:

Can you please add the “GoTo” feature, that video files have, to audio files?

+ DankandSticky on December 18th, 2007 at 1:04 pm said:

Flash player in the internet browser….in game music….. and trials of topoq………I have a really good suggestion—– There are so many good themes at (allps3themes.com) that you should make a way to set random themes every time the ps3 starts so than you dont have to choose….. please do one of these things…. or simply show me you are reading this by putting a simple clock on the XMB..please care about the consumer PLEASE

+ tluper on December 18th, 2007 at 1:06 pm said:

so…. can i STREAM videos through stage 6 and the like?(quicksilverscreen/nabolister) somebody help this poor little guy out… i just wanna know that one little baby thing….

help

+ Chadillacgarage on December 18th, 2007 at 1:12 pm said:

When will Dolby True HD really be avaiable? The Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray Player can do it, why can’t you make the PS3?

+ frito on December 18th, 2007 at 1:14 pm said:

Great 2 see the Divx finally announced!

Also love the new visualizations!

WE NEED MORE COOL VISUALIZATIONS WHILE WE LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!

Winamp ships with about 50 visualizations built in, it would be great to see more and more ont he PS3!

cheers!

+ sfgendlek on December 18th, 2007 at 1:16 pm said:

voice changer THANK GOD! i am delighted to hear about this feature. why work on trivial things when you can add a voice changer THAT’S WHERE THE MONEY IS.

also, i have to assume that announcing the PS1 PSP remote play feature was left out because of excitement over said voice changer

+ frito on December 18th, 2007 at 1:20 pm said:

Great 2 see the Divx finally announced! nnd PIP in Bluray sounds great!

Also love the new visualizations!

WE NEED MORE COOL VISUALIZATIONS WHILE WE LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!

Winamp ships with about 50 visualizations built in, it would be great to see more and more on the PS3!

cheers!

+ frito on December 18th, 2007 at 1:20 pm said:

sorry about the double post!

HOORAY! I can finally post again!

+ rsx3.2 on December 18th, 2007 at 1:23 pm said:

Yes Divx nad profile 1.1 BD. Xvid works to.!!!! Thanks Sony the PS3 is staying true to it’s name as the media center console.

+ lakuma on December 18th, 2007 at 1:27 pm said:

I read that you can play MKV and XviD videos just fine if you play them DIRECTLY off the PS3 HD. In other words it won’t work streaming, USB or DVD/CD media. I have yet to test this.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9