PS4 - Destiny

Resistance 2 Officially Unveiled

Greg Phillips's Avatar + Posted by Greg Phillips on Jan 22, 2008 // Producer, SCEA

As you may have seen elsewhere on the internet, Resistance 2 was officially unveiled in the latest issue of Game Informer which is on sale now. Game Informer’s website has some additional information, including a video interview with Ted Price.

resistance informer

In other news, the Insomniac Games podcast, The Full Moon Show, returned for it’s second season earlier this week. The first episode can be found here. In this episode: a new co-host revealed, an interview with a studio that recently reclaimed its independence and possibly a tidbit or two about this Resistance 2 game.

That is all. Well, for now.

103 Comments

+ P_tear_griffin on January 22nd, 2008 at 7:39 pm said:

I hope Sony reps read this and that those visiting this site agree. I really think you should do insomniac a favor and hype this game like you did KZ2 at last years E3. I know KZ2 is your baby touting the graphical power of the PS3 but Resistance 2 is simply touting the insanity of fun content to be obtained in the title. Content>Graphics. And since I know nothing more about KZ2 other than it looks good, I’d have to go with Resistance 2 when these games are out.

+ Joe on January 22nd, 2008 at 7:54 pm said:

I hope there will be more info on this game at GDC. Plus I hope there will be more info on KZ2 soon too.

Also I have heard a rumor from 1up that no matter what KZ2 has to come out this year. I want you to let Guerrilla make the game they want and if it means it has to come out in 09 let them.

+ SeanScythe on January 22nd, 2008 at 7:55 pm said:

It’s sad we know when this game is pretty much coming out and a lot of details in less then two weeks. Then when it comes to Home we are still waiting and still in the dark of when it’s coming out or pretty much anything else.

Jeff when are we getting a HOME update and info on an Open Beta?

+ odz on January 22nd, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

Can you put proximity mines in the next one please.

+ Nathan Hale on January 22nd, 2008 at 8:14 pm said:

I am more interest in Vehicles, I read the article and it mentioned about possible air to air battles. This better applies in online as well.

+ Kpepe on January 22nd, 2008 at 8:47 pm said:

Massive 60 player online is gonna be frekin awsome!!!!!!!

+ stennex on January 22nd, 2008 at 9:07 pm said:

WICKED!

+ b60904 on January 22nd, 2008 at 9:47 pm said:

I know the game is going to be better than the first.

+ cmargary on January 22nd, 2008 at 10:00 pm said:

@55 Nathan Hale

Yeah… in R2 needs all that… learn from warhawk… anyway.. 3 big titles in just two years…

+ Malicore on January 22nd, 2008 at 10:37 pm said:

This is looking good. I hope they make the fall release. This could turn out to be a good year for PS3 games.

+ Ghostm on January 22nd, 2008 at 10:39 pm said:

Just spent 2hrs playing Burnout Paradise and it was amazing. If you didn’t buy this title day one. Get your ass in gear and pick this up. It’s totally badass!!! With Dualshock 3 it would’ve been a total package. That’s the only down side.

+ joshlovesps3 on January 22nd, 2008 at 11:06 pm said:

they should drop the pride of R:FOM 1 soon because nember 2 is on the way so im going to get number 1 when its $30 and then get R:FOM 2 the day it comes out (= im set.

+ Forbidden_Darkness on January 23rd, 2008 at 12:55 am said:

it seems like no one replys to us anymore on here, i use to like reading jeffs comments and such…

+ EViD on January 23rd, 2008 at 1:27 am said:

sweet, can’t wait for a trailer

IG rocks

+ Savage on January 23rd, 2008 at 2:53 am said:

@50 End of this year allegedly.

+ Strider1979 on January 23rd, 2008 at 2:58 am said:

Quite simply, I can not wait. RFOM absolutely blew me away. COD has taken the throne for now and rightly so but I cant wait to see what RFOM2 brings. Wow, this really could be PS3′s year with this, KZ2, MGS4, LBP, HAZE… the list goes on.

+ Kedaro on January 23rd, 2008 at 3:39 am said:

Insomniac, please take your sweet time bringing this sequel to us, I know it’s common sense to avoid using phrases such as ‘halo-killer’ etc, but that’s what your fans really truly want Resistance 2 to be…
Halo is only popularized by younger gamers, here’s to hoping you strike that perfect balance that was a hair-width from being represented in the first title in the series… Your foundation is set, it’s your new stage, now give us an act that leaves us satisfied yet wanting more. Your greatest fans might be ready to receive R2, but I’m one of those fans, and quite frankly I don’t mind if you take your sweet time making it the be all and end all… you guys deserve a game with that amount of recognition, as you’ve put out nothing but AAA titles, and the media is too ridiculous right now to give appreciation, and respect where it’s due.

+ Kedaro on January 23rd, 2008 at 3:43 am said:

@63 Forbidden_Darkness

Yea I second that motion, but at the same time, we have to cut every Sony employee some slack atm… Something wicked this way comes, and it’s nothing on any of the other two consoles … tee hee hee…

+ p-s-3 on January 23rd, 2008 at 3:57 am said:

They should call it –
Resistance 2:The Rise Of PS3!!! ;-D

I’d call’em -
Resistance 1:Fall Of Man
Resistance 2:Rise Of Man
&
Resistance 3

(Just Resistance 3, so you don’t know whos going to er erm Rise to Victory!!!)
;)

+ rukusa on January 23rd, 2008 at 4:14 am said:

I seriously can’t wait for this game, just by the look the screens you can see its really gotten a huge boost :).

I can’t wait to hear more about the story :).

+ Kedaro on January 23rd, 2008 at 5:05 am said:

@70 rukusa
Second that as well… Story Story Story… more of it, more serious, more impact… more visual… etc etc… We need to hear a little about all these things I think.

+ Gunwing on January 23rd, 2008 at 5:57 am said:

Finlay! I loved the first one! Still playing it. Please add in more guns, and keep the old! We loved the ending! Now we need a new chapter as well as maybe more info on what the heck the US has been doing all this time? We know they closed off their boarders, and are now a dictatorship. But what else? Where those guns from the first game rely from the US? Or were they left over Chimeran weapons?

+ P_tear_griffin on January 23rd, 2008 at 6:11 am said:

I wonder what insomniac will do w/ Nathan. At the end of Resistance 1 he had the regenerating health and, theoretically still mutating. I wonder if he’ll get the thermal vision or the boost of speed. I can’t wait for their new twist on military weapons on this sequel as well. Sony promote this game like crazy when it is near completion. ooh, and have insomniac allow the maps on Resistance carry over to 2 (kinda like some of the ratchet weapons carried over on the PS2).

+ enrichovega on January 23rd, 2008 at 6:44 am said:

Why wasn’t this game first unveiled here on the blog or at the very least in Playstation the Official Magazine(which I am a subscriber)? I don’t understand how a competetor’s magazine could break such a huge story of a game that comes from a sony exclusive studio! Not a good look for you guys.

Anyways, this has just surpassed MGS4 as my most anticipated game of ’08.

+ xxLONESTARxx on January 23rd, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

Sweet! Thank You Insomniac!

+ Nynja on January 23rd, 2008 at 7:09 am said:

60 online players is an accomplishment -only- if the game play remains as smooth as it was with 32 players.

Anyone else wonder how the voice chat will work out? 30 players or more trying to communicate… that will be difficult.

Either way, I’m still picking this up.

+ Destroyer41139 on January 23rd, 2008 at 7:20 am said:

I’ve bought both of insomniacs ps3 games and they have both been awesome. I have no doubt that insomniac will set the new bar for fps and will make some new resistance fans with resistance 2.

+ Chrisrahosiris on January 23rd, 2008 at 7:22 am said:

@46

That isn’t a bad idea at all

+ Seanscythe2 on January 23rd, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

@76 R:FOM had 40 players on-line not 32, that’s warhawk.

+ terminatorvsmtrx on January 23rd, 2008 at 8:36 am said:

insomniac is by far my favorite developer… i cant freakin wait for this damn game

+ terminatorvsmtrx on January 23rd, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

why in the flaming dungeons of hell did someone say that they hope resistance 2 will be the killzone 2 killer.. we need all the good exclusives we can get.. i hope resistance 2 and killzone 2 blow the lid off of the crappy fps the 360 has… names not coming to me right now because it sucks

+ Agustiner on January 23rd, 2008 at 8:53 am said:

I love you Inomniac!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ cell989 on January 23rd, 2008 at 9:48 am said:

I wish it was called Resistance: Rise of man, it makes sense.

+ Mort on January 23rd, 2008 at 9:57 am said:

@67 Kedaro. Man you are so right about the media. I cancelled my subscription to EGM after they gave R&C TOD an 8.5. This put the game in their “Good” category. TOD was not a good game, it was a fantastic game! A game that I could not put down from the moment I put the disc into my PS3. The average user rating for the same game on 1UP’s (the people who are responsible for EGM) website is 9.4! That seems more like it to me.

Of course Halo 3 got a 10 in EGM! Are you freaking kidding me?! Interestingly Halo 3 got an average user rating of 5.5! Check it out for yourself: http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3144308 Does anybody else smell a bias there? I spoke to a friend of mine who is a (stinky!) Xbox 360 owner and a die-hard Halo fan. His reaction to the game? Meh.

So, anybody else want to speculate how R2 will be treated by the press if it turns out to be better than RFOM? Sadly, I feel that however good the game is, it won’t get a fair ride in certain circles…

+ 2ndPSP on January 23rd, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

My only statmetn to insomniac is, Don’t screw with the weapons! Keep them the way they are. Bungie screwed with the weapons and ruined Halos 2&3 for me. Don’t make the magazines smaller. Don’t reduce the amount of ammo you can carry, and most important, Don’t Reduce the damage inflicted.

On another note. Get rid of the invisible walls. That was my biggest complaint for RFOM. If you don’t want us to go some where put a real wall there. I got really frustrated, because I like to explore and I kept running into invisble walls.

Oh yeah and take a note from halo 2 (only one though) and make a set of legs for Hale. It’s a little disconcerting to look down and there aren’t any legs. It feels like you weren’t paying attention. The PS3 certainly has enough power to support a set of legs.

Oh yes, one last thing. Don’t sacrifice plotline for online. Bungie killed Halo 2 because they were more focused on Live. Personally I wouldn’t care if RFOM2 didn’t have online play at all. But that is just me.

That’s my rant. Tune in next time something interesting happens.

+ greyham on January 23rd, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

Insomniac always delivers the goods. Everything you guys touch turns to gold. You are the only developer that I would blindly buy a game from. No reviews, no preview, nothing…if your name is on it…I’ll buy it. Can’t wait.

+ Bender Rodriguez on January 23rd, 2008 at 12:29 pm said:

Yeah this looks sweet. After looking at this I’m like “What Killzone?”

+ Keyframe on January 23rd, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

Sony for the love of God, do not drop the ball at GDC and show some new stuff from resistance 2 , killzone 2 , team ico and (hopefully) Final Fantasy XIII.

+ RatchetFanatic on January 23rd, 2008 at 3:47 pm said:

Resistance: Rise of Mankind

+ Tyrant_x2 on January 23rd, 2008 at 4:27 pm said:

Look like some one is mad..LOL,cant wait for videos..:).Thank for posting the info and keep the good work.

+ Deman on January 23rd, 2008 at 5:16 pm said:

I I… Want…want…GIVE ME IT. I WILL KICK THE FING CHIMERA ASS!

+ Hanron on January 24th, 2008 at 8:05 am said:

Here comes another “w00t”. But what I’m really happy to hear is game development utilizing and pushing the power of the PS3. 60 players? 8 online co-op?

There’s going to be a lot of buzz concerning this as it will spearhead a lot of new development from other publishers.

+ Kedaro on January 24th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

Sony was always at the leading edge of this Industry, Anyone who can almost kill Nintendo’s marketshare is legendary in my books, much respect to Nintendo, and props to Sony for entering/revolutionizing a would have been ‘stagnating’ industry… If anything Sony prevented another market crash… and it’s companies like Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Polyphony, Capcom, Konami, Namco, SquareSoft/Square-Enix, and so many more it’s not even funny, that made this all a wonderful possibility, and will continue to do so. Sony has and always will be light years ahead of the competition despite all/any popular belief, or internet propaganda… pretty funny when their last gen system is keeping up with the competition’s offerings… end tangent.

Insomniac, and all the other companies mentioned above deliver the best of the best… for the best of the best

+ Kedaro on January 24th, 2008 at 9:56 am said:

@84 Mort

Oh dude completely agreed, I spend an hour or two on my pc a day, working on concept/design pieces… and a good amount of my time is spent searching around reading and denying anti-Sony internet propaganda that I see.
If you ask me, the other company that shall remain nameless on this blog, paid for what they dubbed a ‘viral marketting campaign’, which was a term used to cover up the fact that they paid people to trash their competition online, and in very new&inventive ways like text telemarketers(no offense to TMs), and that snowballed into a mickey mouse situation were the fanbases are split, one system has the 10-17 year old majority, the other has a 17-35 year old user majority, sorry if I’ve lost anyone, but I have to refrain from pointing fingers directly at specific companies within this comment, as to prevent deletion…

What to do if you’re an American based Hardware manufacturer bent on VideoGame industry domination, and you’ve repeatedly failed to even really get a foot in the international market?

Trash the competition via’ internet propaganda, then try to pretend that your company has some affiliations with an older(VG industry player) legendary company… ahem* cough*, then be a smartass and tell everyone you love them, when in fact all you love about them is their wallets… or their stocks on the stock market… I can’t help but laugh at the unnamed company, for their true colors are right there for all to see, just covered with a bunch of flashy lights as to confuse the general public.

end rant…

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, please forgive me.

+ Mort on January 24th, 2008 at 10:44 am said:

@Kedaro – Wow! Now there’s a man with some opinions. I like it! We all know that media outlets have an agenda, and that agenda can be swung by $$. What amazes me is that Sony was continually trashed for the high price of the PS3 at launch (among other things) and yet M$ have had a relatively easy ride over the Red Ring of Death. More fuel to the fire?

Anyway, I am loving my PS3, and I can’t wait for R2 (just to get back on track) J

+ Mort on January 24th, 2008 at 10:46 am said:

BTW – Kedaro – sorry if you happen to be female. I kinda assumed that you were male when I said “there’s a man with some opinions”.

Apologies to our gaming sisters.

+ Demayor on January 24th, 2008 at 11:56 am said:

They have offically announced what we all already expected. This is great news; Resistance was the game that got me hooked on FPS. Before resistance I had tried some, but never really liked them. Can’t wait to see more news about this.

+ The GOD of WAR on January 24th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

ok, some ppl said things that i will address. things that the gameinformer issue takes from the source and i get from a source.
First of all, any pictures u have seen are only the first build of the game. Insomniac builds a game first then goes back to make it the best it can be. hence, what you see in the posted picture is not even close to the final look.
Secondly, Insomniac is the best developer because they publicly say that they prefer quality over quantity. This is obvious if you look for any of insomniac games reviews. (and seeing how R2 is getting 60 player online,8 player coop, regular campaign you know its going to be sweet; look at the museum in ratchet and clank going commando; they cut out a lot becuase it wasnt perfect).
thirdly, gameinformer is multiplatform and a very popular mag.(i have it) So instead of only people who are already playstation 3 owners knowing about it, everyone will know and it will be that much more likely that ps3 consoles will sell.

And Insomniac is the last developer that you should ever feel the need to worry about. Their track record is beautiful. They play their own games. look at their website! look at the career tab and 10 reasons list. named as one of the top 10 Best Small Companies to work for in America for 3 years in a row!
this game will PAH-OWN

+ mollyrulz9999 on January 27th, 2008 at 3:44 am said:

Man, this excites me. the first game blew off something great and cool! it actually felt like a decent fps! I remember seeing a screenshot of it somewhere, but I think it was a fake. I managed to google it and found the supposed cover art of the game:

I did see another screenie from the ops magazine which contained a warzone in new york (the statue of liberty was behind the warzone), but I saw it was a fake because one of those old london telephone boxes were there. lol. still, I heard it’s set in america 10 years after the setting of the first game. sounds like their doing a ‘destroy all humans’ (LOL!!!) approach with the time settings.

+ Kedaro on January 27th, 2008 at 4:59 am said:

@mollyrulz9999

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is not the planned box art for Resistance 2, not even close in fact, If you examine it carefully it’s made using screenshots of exsisting RFOM assets from the first game, and is actually quite un-attractive, I’d imagine they’ll be using a darker set of colors for their new boxart and probably something flashy like with RnC:ToD, something quite AWESOME!