PS4-Infamous

Skype on the PSP – Firmware (v3.90) Coming Soon

Al De Leon's Avatar + Posted by Al De Leon on Jan 29, 2008 // Sr. PR Manager, SCEA

Want to talk trash before you play Syphon Filter: Combat Ops? Got a friend who lives in London that you want to catch up with? With the next PSP system software update, slated to launch this week, you’ll be able to communicate using your PSP-2000 and Skype. Here’s how it works:

• Download and install the 3.90 firmware upgrade to the PSP-2000 system.
  • Connect the PSP to the Internet at a Wi-Fi hotspot.
  • Attach a PSP Headset and the Remote Control from the PSP-2000 Headphones to the system, and insert a Memory Stick Duo to save the Skype application software.
  • Access the Skype/Sign In icon within the Network category of the XMB menu. If you’ve never used Skype on your PC, you can create a free account directly on your PSP. If you already have a Skype account, you can simply enter your username/password.
  • To make a call, either access the Contacts icon and click on a name or scroll to the Dial icon and use the keypad.

You can talk to anyone else on Skype anywhere in the World for free. For calls to and from landline or mobile phones, you need to purchase Skype Credit. More details are available here. We’ve created a brief video with John Koller, senior marketing manager for PSP, to show you how to get started.

110 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ maikelnait on February 3rd, 2008 at 4:07 am said:

hi!

waiting for buying a psp system… I need to know….

1st. – How many memory stick Gigs can manage the PSP? 2GB, 32GB, no limitation?

2nd. – Is there native support for viewing Youtube videos on the embeddeb web navigator??
if not… when will it be? (that’s important!!)

3rd. – Is Media Manager PRO included with the PSP? Is there any other 3rd party software you can recommend?

Thanks in advance and regards,

NOTE: I think that the future for this system is fully downloadable content (games, movies and so on) and cheap/ big memories support!
UMD is not the rigth way…

+ flame27 on February 3rd, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

Sony should make the next update with having songs on memory so you dont have to constantly change to the songs you want to hear. Its a hassle constantly pulling out the psp switching songs. Choosing a set of songs to play and put in your own order at anytime on the go.

+ Danger-x on February 6th, 2008 at 3:46 am said:

All that Skype is Spyware! ..I’d rather have the 2.11 update or 2.20 update then a worthless update for the PSP that I can’t get anyway.I don’t have the 1000 model…Where is our Xmb Music player?.or instant chat messenger?..Sony is starting get on my nerves!…

+ Danger-x on February 6th, 2008 at 3:55 am said:

All that Skype is Spyware! ..I’d rather have the 2.11 update or 2.20 update then a worthless update for the PSP that I can’t get anyway.I don’t have the 1000 model…Where is our Xmb Music player?.or instant chat messenger?..Sony is starting to get on my nerves!…it is tomorrow 02/07/08..And I still don’t see much of a improvement with there lame store where is the games from 1995-1998?.Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken 1-3?.Final Fantasy 7!?.In HD perhaps? and updates..Zzz.Hurry up already with Socom Confrontation and the games that we’ve been waiting for like an Eternity!..And please fix War hawk’s ranking system and levels ban cheaters!. Also Why is there no Keyboard support!? Last segment I don’t like campers or cheaters online in any game!

+ jgb on February 6th, 2008 at 7:47 am said:

WHERE DO I GET HARDWARE?!?!?!?!?!

I wont spend $30 on a remote and “bud” earphones and then another $19 on microphone headset.

For the love of it all, please, please help!!!!!!

+ jbuk on February 9th, 2008 at 2:57 pm said:

Sony have to transform …REDESIGNED THE PSP into A IPHONE, EBOOK READER…AND MORE …IT SHOULD HAVE A LARGER SCREEN, E VIDEO CAMERA …A TOUCH SCREEN…IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCEPT MY HANDWRITING, record my voice… I JUST WANT CARRY AROUND A PSP AND NOTHING ELSE…I WANT ALL MY BOOKS, MUSIC, FILMS…EMAILS…CALLS IN IT…THAT’S ALL

+ Steve0925 on February 11th, 2008 at 5:59 pm said:

I whanted to know if you could just buy a memory stick. with more than 64 MB and playstion could code for fatpsp so other people wont need to buy slim?

+ Devenu on February 20th, 2008 at 12:27 am said:

Hi Sony, thanks for shafting everyone who went out and bought your system the first few weeks it came out. It’s good to see you’re loyal to your customers about your hardware. Out of curiosity, how long do you intend to care about the current wave of owners before you come out with a newer model?

Also, when you decide that your solid gold toilets need a diamond sink to match them, how much are you going to charge for the psp-3000 model to pay for them?

+ viralbyte on February 21st, 2008 at 11:38 pm said:

I understand that the new vers. of PSP has better ram and can use skype where the older vers. can’t. However I’m not very happy about it. Is this going to become a habit? Will future devices and apps be exclusive to the PSP 2000? Not a good way to keep loyal Sony fans.

+ Loucifer on February 25th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

Ok and since it appears my bout with banishment is over i wanted to take a minute just to say this

i sold my original psp on ebay (sold way faster then i thought)…and purchased the new psp-2000

ok with that said….WOW! ok the remote play thing is off the hook…yea its cheezy and since the only thing i use my PS3 for is music, videos and rock band it saves me from having to save these things to my psp…so since i shifted my point of view from the PS3 being a game console to the PS3 being everything BUT a game console…i’ve been enjoying the PS3-PSP marriage

maybe when Sony and the 3rd party developers actually start making games in 1080 or when Mr. Lempel’s job is threatened and he makes the PS3 upscale its own games and maybe even give us some in game xmb access…will i look at the PS3 as a gaming console

but until then i’m going to enjoy using the new PSP for its connectivity benefits…

oh yea and the GOW:COO demo is pretty impressive.

PAGE 1 2 3