Minecraft PS4

SingStar is Back on the PS2, and This Time It’s …

Jennifer Clark's Avatar + Posted by Jennifer Clark on Feb 04, 2008 // Senior Director, Product Publicity

The ’90s! Yep, this disc is dropping on March 18. You’ll see from the full track list below, we’ve got a very eclectic mix of music, as we wanted to try and represent all of the major music movements that happened in the ’90s. There’s something for everyone, and some real classics to boot!

Singstar 90s

With all SingStar products, we start off the process by defining parameters for our song list, and SingStar ’90s was no exception. However, this proved to be more challenging than usual, as everybody we asked had their own idea about the ’90s — it wasn’t as clearly defined as if you asked them about the ’80s. But, that’s ultimately where we got our inspiration from. The decade was many different things to many different people, so our track list had to reflect that. Grunge, rap, pop, boy bands, hip hop, rock — it’s all in there, and we hope you like it.

How about you guys… What were the ’90s for you? What’s your favorite track on this list? And yes, all you wondering what’s up with SingStar PS3, click here to get the latest from our interview with IGN.

• Arrested Development – Tennessee
  • Wilson Phillips – Hold On

41 Comments

+ Darkendless on February 4th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

SING STAR PS3 PLEASE

+ Makasu on February 4th, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

Its out on ps3 ;)

But id like to hear when the wireless mics are coming out… And also when all the old ps2-content are available for the ps3 version.

+ StalkingSilence on February 4th, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

One would like to think all of these PS2 Singstar songs will be available for PS3′s Singstar when ever it is finally released. I’ve never bought a Singstar game before – but it looks like you all have done all the licensing and work on these PS2 games – so tons of DLC on the PS3 version should be available at launch, no?

+ ftwrthtx on February 4th, 2008 at 8:30 am said:

Why the PS2?

It’s not out in the US for the PS3.

+ Stoffinator on February 4th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

Yeah, what ever happened to Singstar PS3? But anyway, good to see the PS2 still going.

+ h4rri3r on February 4th, 2008 at 8:43 am said:

Oh… another Singstar for PS2? We want, in Europe, Singstar for Ps3. When it comes?

+ chasegamez on February 4th, 2008 at 8:59 am said:

when is it coming out on the ps3

+ masteratt on February 4th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

The interview link leads to SingStar’s Track List………..Why are you fooling us?

+ Dr. Strangepork on February 4th, 2008 at 9:17 am said:

If one follow the link to the interview you’ll see that he says SingStar for PS3 will be released in May 2008 for the U.S.

+ Mana Knight on February 4th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

Cool music, but I’m going to pass because I want SingStar on PS3 most.

+ Doctor What on February 4th, 2008 at 9:26 am said:

(The link to the interview is currently broken, here’s the correct one http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/849/849113p1.html )

From the interview, about the PS3 version: “the amount of content on the SingStore and the frequency of updates is something that we are working very hard at and can’t wait to show off.”

Speaking as a UK gamer, the frequency of updates has been utterly hopeless. We’ve had one since the game launched a couple of months ago, and that was a mix of lacklustre tracks and ones that we’ve already paid for on the PS2 versions of the game.

When the game was released it was said that there would be around 50 new tracks per month. The latest update had, if my memory serves me, 14 new tracks and they were mostly unexceptional except the Bowie track – and I already have that on the PS2 Singstar titles.

Perhaps the lack of updates wouldn’t be such an issue if there were better songs available, but the current selection is of a generally low quality. Where is The Joshua Tree album from U2, Crowded House, Bohemian Rhapsody and more Queen generally, London Calling by The Clash, Portishead, Pulp, Oasis, Space, Fiona Apple, The Flaming Lips, Billie Holiday, The Velvet Underground, The Postal Service, OK Go… Hell, even Deathcab For Cutie tracks or Existentialism On Prom Night by Straylight Run would be good additions! I don’t expect a family game to get any Marilyn Manson, but a few tracks that people can belt out are desperately needed.

Deals on albums would be great, such as £7 (US$14)for all of The Joshua Tree, and it would be good to be able to use the old PS2 discs to unlock cheap downloads of PS3 versions of the tracks.

When I bought the PS3 version I had expected to be able to put aside the PS2 copies, but instead the PS3 version occasionally goes into the machine to check for updates, then promptly comes out again only to be replaced by the PS2 titles.

Come on Sony London, make this game work the way it should. Make us feel like we’re getting what we were promised, the ultimate karaoke party game, rather than a collection of songs that we half-recollect (at best) and a too-high fee for other songs that we’re not very interested in singing.

+ mnemo on February 4th, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

SingStar PS3 is out for 2 months in Europe now. Opposites Attract is a downloadable title already and very much fun!

Too bad there’s not much stuff in the online store yet and limiting the game to 30 tracks on a Blu-ray Disc (hello! 25 gigs!) is a joke.

+ tielo on February 4th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

PS3, wireless mics, need info!!!

+ Kedaro on February 4th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

Stone Temple Pilots – Plush = Sony RULEZ thank you!

probably their best album ever…

+ Mana Knight on February 4th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

@ mnemo

No music/dance game will ever fill up all the disc space. The reason has to do with licensing music is very expensive, which is why it appears as a download past a certain number (not because of not enough disc space).

+ Kedaro on February 4th, 2008 at 9:43 am said:

now what would really be beneficial to gamers is if all the songs on the ps2 games were available to download to ps3 at the start of singstar ps3, and if you had the original singstars on ps2, you could somehow download the songs for free… because that’s the only thing stopping me from buying singstar ps2 titles atm, I have two or three of them, and I’m really excited about the downloading songs feature.

+ Kedaro on February 4th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

@ Doctor What

I agree completely, Sony what is up with licensing, is someone getting in the way? need us to start cappin’ foo’s ?

+ meepmoopmeep on February 4th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

i hope that song list will be available for PS3 version… hurry and release the PS3 version… bluetooth mics would be uber sweet as well!

+ Jeigh on February 4th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

I’m glad we don’t all have one-track minds. -_-

While I never got into the series, and probably won’t, it’s nice to see that the PS2 is still getting support despite the pressure of those that would have it be RIP’d in favor of the PS3.

Sony said it wouldn’t kill off the PS2 just yet, and they haven’t. Would you all have us go the way of M$ and just slaughter the brand en masse, leaving everyone with a PS2 cold?

+ TheHakku on February 4th, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

We’ll get SingStar for the PS3 in the US eventually. It is a SCEE series of games.

+ Zorox on February 4th, 2008 at 10:52 am said:

I guess Sony forgot about the PS3…

+ Seanscythe2 on February 4th, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

Why not any Linkin Park, Metallica, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamen, Cold, 3 Doors Down. Just to name a few, I hope we have some good songs on the PS3 version.

+ Enedok on February 4th, 2008 at 12:19 pm said:

Singstore is a disaster. I don’t know what you’re doing.

I got the English PS3 signstar and wanted to buy some of the songs from the Norwegian disk version. No Norwegian songs before Christmas. Still not out there up to this date. No song packs out there as you said it would be. None of the background themes you said it would be. No regular twice a month update you said it would be. And 80ish of the 300 songs you said would be out there!

I did not get what I paid for. What did you guys do during the 6 month game delay?

+ tagout on February 4th, 2008 at 12:35 pm said:

Lack of updates. So, no thanks!

+ linebeginstoblur on February 4th, 2008 at 2:52 pm said:

Please work harder on the PS3 SingStar now. By that, I mean, make this your last SingStar US release for the PS2.

To those who say it’s already out, this is a blog by SCEA, so the intended audience does not have it.

+ linebeginstoblur on February 4th, 2008 at 3:01 pm said:

Let me rephrase that… I’m sorry.

Please focus on PS3 SingStar and then you can go back to the PS2 ones if you wish, but, hey, I’m just saying that ever since I’ve heard that SingStar was coming for the PS3, I’ve been drooling over it…

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on February 4th, 2008 at 3:22 pm said:

Anyone knows if I can play all the singstar PS2 games on my PS3 using the rock band mic? I don’t see why that wouldn’t work.

Thanks

+ ap_kelly on February 4th, 2008 at 3:30 pm said:

I’m holding out for the wireless mics before I get the PS3 version. Here in Australia its been sold out since Christmas so getting hold of the wired mics version is near impossible.

Wireless mics please!!!

+ fromthenaki on February 4th, 2008 at 6:59 pm said:

Yeah I got the NZ Version – I think they rushed it out for europe/oceania for christmas even though they hadn’t got the wireless mics sorted. when i pre-ordered the picture showed wireless, but it turned up wired. as for the songs, i don’t think lined up all of the licensing for the songs like they said they would.

My guess is they’re drip feeding the songs now to get more $$. people will probably download more over time that way

+ fromthenaki on February 4th, 2008 at 7:02 pm said:

sorry, forgot my point – if you’re from the US & disappointed you get singstar ps3 late – don’t be! I’m sure by the time you get it it’ll have wireless mics & the 300+ songs that were promised & not delivered to the rest of us!

+ gardea on February 4th, 2008 at 8:48 pm said:

Good songs, but where’s the PS3 version?

We’ll be picking this up but we need the PS3 version quick…with these songs available for download or on the disc already.

+ Nymo on February 4th, 2008 at 10:55 pm said:

Skipping past the “Where’s the PS3 version?” comments:

WOO! Good list of songs to bring me back to the 90′s!

And personally, I enjoy the fact that the PS2′s still getting some love now, as many out there do have the PS2 (well, ‘many’ is a sort of an understatement…) and always more being sold!

Great market to still reach, and good way to still build up a SingStar base here in the states.
(if only the series came here a little earlier…)

As for the PS3 version: Take your time!
I’d rather see a nice, polished version with a great list of downloads on the SingStore at the release that what Europe had to deal with.

Can’t wait! =D

+ tielo on February 5th, 2008 at 8:14 am said:

Nice reaction from Jennifer Clark. Oh, sorry, he didn’t….

+ KatanaKing on February 6th, 2008 at 3:29 am said:

Great to see absolutly no response whatsoever from Ms Clark. Just to let you know, if you didn’t already that the Singstore is an absolute joke at the moment. We were promised 350 songs at launch, and after a 6month delay and 2 months after the release there are a total of 81 song…impressive. So all you US peeps, i STRONGLY advise waiting until the online feature of Singstar has greatly been improved as at the moment it is an utter crappy experience.

+ Doctor What on February 7th, 2008 at 10:38 am said:

Still no response? How disappointing. There are a lot of Singstar fans out there in the UK and Europe who really want to know when their game is going to become what they were told it would be.

+ eddy7496 on February 14th, 2008 at 8:05 pm said:

“Tubthumping”…chumbawamba…nice choice

John
EdmundsProductions.tk

+ Smellmell on February 14th, 2008 at 8:32 pm said:

I wish they would make a Sing Star country game, and have todays country with Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood and Rascle Flatts, nothing like classic with Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson and Loretta Lynn.

+ maecon on February 15th, 2008 at 2:48 am said:

So glad to see you are still putting games out on PS2. It keeps me buying.

+ razor8289 on February 15th, 2008 at 9:13 pm said:

First off I want to say I am happy to see that PS2 games are still available. Although PS 3′s are nice, not everyone is rich and can afforid the prices for a PS 3. I just want to tell the people at sony, I am happy to see that there is another singstar game coming out for PS 2 and I am hoping that the games for PS 2 keep on coming.

+ Char822 on February 18th, 2008 at 12:49 am said:

I can’t wait for this title to be released. I too cannot afford a PS3 so I hope the PS2 titles will keep on coming and I plan to keep on buying them.

+ death_eater on February 18th, 2008 at 5:54 pm said:

Can’t Wait til it Dropps…. its going to be a good one