PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Uncharted: Final Trailer

Jennifer Clark's Avatar + Posted by Jennifer Clark on Feb 05, 2008 // Senior Director, Product Publicity

Like UNCHARTED

Greetings all … The Naughty Dogs have received a lot of positive feedback on their Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune trailers. You might have seen this trailer post on IGN last week, and since people are buzzing about it we thought it would be cool to do a Q&A with the trailer’s creator, Taylor Kurosaki. Taylor is the Video and Dialogue Editor at Naughty Dog, and is responsible for creating all of their trailers, which you can read more about in the Q&A included below.

We thought it was interesting to learn about how much Taylor focuses on music as his inspiration. That said, he was cool enough to share the link to his personal music blog. Music is a big hobby of his and he thought it might be something that you would be interested in.

Enjoy!

Q&A with Taylor Kurosaki

How did you come up with the concept for this trailer?
Well, this was the fourth official trailer for UDF I worked on. [Perhaps we can link to the others here...] The first three were really about conveying who Nathan Drake is, the nature of the threats he encounters and the scope of the artifacts he is after. In those trailers I really wanted to give the viewer a sense of this foreboding world Nate is exploring, so they were ominous in tone and vibe. For this post-launch trailer, I wanted to completely flip it around and play up the pulp adventure fun of Uncharted. I was always blown away by the ‘painterly’ quality of the screenshots of the game. I thought they had such a cool comic book look to them, even though they were straight from the PS3, with no retouching whatsoever. So it was really a no brainer, make a pulp-comic trailer comprised solely of screenshots. I want to give a big shout out to everyone on the team who spent the countless hours capturing those beautiful stills, especially Eric Baldwin who recently captured a whole bunch more specifically for this trailer.

Did you enjoy getting to work with the DJ Shadow track?
Oh yeah. I’ve been a fan of Shadow’s since Entroducing. Our Producer Sam Thompson and I had discussed the idea of working with him for some time, maybe as far back as Jak 3 or Jak X. I think we both had envisioned licensing one of his existing tracks for a trailer or to use in one of the games, so I was blown away that I not only got to finally work with his music, but that he was actually producing an original song. DJ Shadow is a “digger”- he finds bits and pieces of music which interest him and completely deconstructs them, reconfiguring and re-realizing them into something different and completely Shadow. He took that process and applied it to Greg Edmonson’s original Uncharted score, and that’s the music we set the trailer to.

How important of a role does the selection of music play in making a trailer?
For me it’s everything. It all comes from the music. I can’t even begin envisioning the concept without proper music as inspiration. The first two Uncharted trailers used the amazing and sweeping orchestral music from our game. (Thanks to Greg Edmonson and Jonathan Mayer.) For the third trailer, the mood was darker and more sinister, so the track Dissolved Girl by Massive Attack was used. For Jak X, I got to work with Queens of the Stone Age and Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle, as those artists really suited that game. For Jak3, it was Kidneythieves, as their aesthetic really matched the desolate and harsh world Jak was thrown into.

Who are you more like? Nathan Drake or Victor Sullivan?
Unfortunately, I don’t think I can grow a Sully-quality mustache, so I’ll go with Nate. Why can’t I choose Elena?

Besides your own, what is your favorite game trailer of all time?
It’s got to be the Gears of War Mad World Trailer. It’s a great example of how you can pair visuals with music to create an entirely new meaning than either element has on it’s own.

+ Makasu on February 5th, 2008 at 5:10 am said:

Flashplayer doesnt work in IE7, fyi.

+ Gunwing on February 5th, 2008 at 5:48 am said:

@ Makasu

Yes it dose I have IE7 Pro and it works just fine. What are you using? Try and check for a windows update! It will update IE7 to the newest version and let you view the flashplayer.

BTW Nice trailer too bad this was not news on the next PS3 update! We want to know what comes in it this time please Sony?

+ Novaoblivion on February 5th, 2008 at 6:38 am said:

Cool trailer for a great game!

+ chasegamez on February 5th, 2008 at 6:45 am said:

@Makasu INTERNET EXPLORER SUCK
DOWMLOAD FIREFOX

+ StalkingSilence on February 5th, 2008 at 6:53 am said:

Please put up for download on PLAYSTATION Store.

+ kokoro on February 5th, 2008 at 7:58 am said:

I love Uncharted, thanks for this trailer!
btw, PLEASE MEXICAN STORE OR PSN CARDS!

+ Kamahl on February 5th, 2008 at 8:00 am said:

nice trailer, i already beat the game though… my favorite game on the PS3 so far :D

+ Paranoimia on February 5th, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

Since the subject of Uncharted has been brought up again…

Can anyone tell me if or when we in the UK/Europe will get to download the soundtrack from our iTunes store?

+ southwoodS on February 5th, 2008 at 8:34 am said:

I saw this on IGN last week. I like it.-

+ frito on February 5th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

hmm…i like the music, but the what’s with the static screenshots?

They don’t show off anything of the game, how fluid it is, and the lighting effects that change as you move..

kind of like a PowerPoint presentation with music.

+ Se-7-eN on February 5th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

Horrible trailer IMO….. Please dont put that on tv.

+ Rogerjak on February 5th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

It’s very cool!!

Congrats

+ FasterMike on February 5th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

#10, #11:

Horrible trailer? Are you kidding me?

Those “static screenshots” give the perfect comic-book type feel (or pulp-novel feel) to this great game. Coupled with the awesome music — this trailer has made me want to ditch work and go home and play Uncharted through from the beginning again.

Great work! And something different for a change.

+ Top_Shelf on February 5th, 2008 at 9:35 am said:

Best. Trailer. Ever.

Sick… So well done and obviously more influenced by the music than anything else. I want to work in the industry so bad right now. Amazing stuff is going on every day.

+ Mort on February 5th, 2008 at 9:46 am said:

OK It’s official. UDF rocks. Definitely one of my favorite PS3 games. I am going to have to go and play through it again now.

Congrats ND – you guys brought us one of the greatest 3rd person adventure tiles of all time. I love it! You guys deserve massive success with this game. Thanks for working so tirelessly to brings us this game. I can only hope that you are working on Uncharted 2. Please!!!

The trailer is very cool BTW.

+ lukestarkiller on February 5th, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

cool trailer great game

+ Jeigh on February 5th, 2008 at 10:03 am said:

Interesting. Any news on Naughty Dog’s next work? Maybe a trailer or something? (See how I looped it back to the subject? I rock. :P )

+ EViD on February 5th, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

love it

actually, I love all UDF trailers so far especially that Halloween trailer, so dark an creepy

+ sascha23 on February 5th, 2008 at 10:53 am said:

Got this game day one. Fantastic product. Can’t wait for the next Naughty Dog offering.

+ illegalprelude on February 5th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

having done some editing work, I cannot agree with Mr. Kurosaki more. A music you listen to suddenly really effects you and gives you this great feel and vibe and for a few days, you go into a trance that it really groves in your head as you envision the trailer. Mostly if you have the tools you need around you, thats when you can create some amazing stuff.

Also mr. Kurosaki, I really appreciate you naming some of these artists as I didnt know who did the music for the 3rd trailer and that has to be my favorite trailer of all time. The music adds such a feel to it and it flows greatly with the visuals you presented us.

As others have stated, it would be fantastic if we could get a HD version of this trailer on PSN.

Also, a question for you mr. Kurosaki, im wondering what your rig is when your editing these trailers. Final Cut, Avid? Windows Movie Maker? hahaha. Just curious

Jennifer Clark's Avatar

+ tkurosaki on February 5th, 2008 at 3:50 pm said:

My understanding is this trailer will be on PSN soon. I edit with Final Cut Pro here at Naughty Dog. Thanks for the response. -Taylor

+ Bender Rodriguez on February 5th, 2008 at 1:37 pm said:

I didn’t like it. It was just a bunch of screenshots of the game thrown together with some music.

+ Gregero on February 5th, 2008 at 1:44 pm said:

If you haven’t played this game- GO PLAY IT NOW. You will be very happy you did.

+ Johnny Sasaki on February 5th, 2008 at 2:22 pm said:

Cool Song :D

+ P_tear_griffin on February 5th, 2008 at 2:24 pm said:

Sweet trailer! Makes me wanna play the game yet again (4rth time, if anyone is wondering). I have 30s of that song as my ringtone.

Uncharted 2 in the horizon? With maybe more environment interaction, more complex puzzles, and clothes that get wet and muddy? I will wait!

+ elprimodebklyn96 on February 5th, 2008 at 2:29 pm said:

man i forgot about udf but I STILL WANT IT i will by it soon (only if it had online i would totally buy it) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

+ elprimodebklyn96 on February 5th, 2008 at 2:30 pm said:

oh snap how did i make smily faces :)

+ elprimodebklyn96 on February 5th, 2008 at 2:32 pm said:

i LOVE uncharted i have played through the demo so many times i already know ALL the tricks where the weapons are everything :) :(

+ THATPSPGUY on February 5th, 2008 at 3:22 pm said:

Hi Taylor, in the link to your music blog I came across this artist,
RJD2: Work it Out and that video. I’m just wondering if you ever heard of Lazy Legs the Breakdancer LINK:

Because it seems that the video makers might have. I think its a neat song and all but maybe they shoulda used the real thing(Lazy Legs) and not an abled bodied person. Having a disabilty yself I can see both sides. Emulation is sometimes the best flattery. Don’t know who said that?? O.o

Jennifer Clark's Avatar

+ tkurosaki on February 5th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

ThatPSGuy, I couldn\’t agree more. I\’ve added the Lazy Legs video to my blog- Thanks!

+ angeleus09 on February 5th, 2008 at 3:39 pm said:

Sweet work, sir. I make comics in my spare time and have recently been experimenting with animating the frames in a slightly similar style to how you did this trailer. I also think it is quite amazing that you got to work with DJ Shadow and even more amazing that he created a custom track for you!

+ foolio_67 on February 5th, 2008 at 3:46 pm said:

Such a great game!! :)

+ UltimateADE1 on February 5th, 2008 at 4:16 pm said:

man i wish they could make jak 5 like badly bcause those games were good on ign they said they were gonna make it but they hadn’t talk about it for 2 years.http://ps3.ign.com/objects/827/827789.html#contributions

+ Coke-a-Cola on February 5th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

I am not a big fan of this game .

I am the BIGGEST fan .

Love this , loved that and crazy for those characters, and even more impressed by what I do not see.

Naughty Dog We are running around the block barking and on fire kind of thrilled .

+ Coke-a-Cola on February 5th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

Oh ………Yes ………think the Vid is King.

+ UltimateADE1 on February 5th, 2008 at 4:21 pm said:

fix this link- http://ps3.ign.com/objects827/827789.html

+ UltimateADE1 on February 5th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

+ UltimateADE1 on February 5th, 2008 at 4:24 pm said:

that should work

+ thingg on February 5th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

nice trailer. It really captures the “comic book” style of the game. Oh and the soundtrack was really cool too.

+ Cesar on February 5th, 2008 at 7:20 pm said:

Uncharted: Final Trailer? WOW NO we need Downloadoble stuff Really, I’m still waithing for it are going to get it? or whats up.

+ Kittonwy on February 5th, 2008 at 8:33 pm said:

Awesome trailer, totally captures the essence of that comic-book feel in the game. Great work. ~_~

+ EvoAnubis on February 6th, 2008 at 5:31 am said:

Hmm. It’s a nice trailer . . . but kinda looks more like a slideshow to me. I like some of the other trailers better, but this one’s not bad.

+ StormLord on February 6th, 2008 at 7:59 pm said:

Nice! to bad ND isn’t going to make DLC for this game, were going to have to wait until uncharted 2 :(

+ James Sims on March 2nd, 2008 at 7:20 am said:

Kamahi i need your help. I’am on the trail of the treasure. what or how do u start moving the shell,the crown,the arrows,the book,the cup I’am STUCK PLEASE HELP ME Email me at linebacker6397@ yahoo.com PLEASE!

+ Enedok on March 2nd, 2008 at 8:47 am said:

@ James Sims
If you need game help you can find anything at http://www.gamefaqs.com

Im not sure what i really did there myself. I just went on instinct and it was awesome when it worked.