PS4 - Transistor

PlayStation.Blog @ GDC

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 14, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

gdc08_black

As you may well know, next week brings us the Game Developers Conference in sunny (for now) San Francisco. It’s a place where game creators of all types can learn, share, and connect. Sometimes, it’s where a young kid gets his/her big break. They also have a LOLcats page. So, just like with CES, I’m putting our PlayStation.Blog coverage in the hands of you, the faithful blog reader.

If you could ask someone from Q-Games, Incognito, Clap Hanz or our Santa Monica Studios any question – what would it be? As much as possible, I’ll pass those questions on, and report back with answers. We’ll also be posting game development insights from Shuhei Yoshida, SCEA Senior Vice President of Product Development.

Over the weekend, we’ll also temporarily install a twitter feed on the right side of the blog for updates throughout GDC. If you’d like to sign up to follow along now, you can do that here. And of course, we’ll have a special section on our Flickr page to give you an idea of what the whole thing looks like.

So what else do we have planned? Well, as part of the blogging community (and what a strange group it is), we’re going to give back this year. So for all the bloggers out there covering GDC in some official capacity (read: you’ve got official credentials), allow me to extend an invite to our PlayStation Bloggers’ Lounge. We’ll have all you need to get your work done (WiFi, food, caffeine), as well as game demos, and even access to some of the developers mentioned above. More details here.

Stay tuned for more updates. Until then, get those questions in!

+ darkiewonder on February 14th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

Someone go sneak a peak at what Insomniac is doing and see if they show anything about Resistance 2 ;)
—-

Is Santa Monica Studio working on any Ps3/PSN games we don’t know about? If yes, do tell in details as much as you can.

To all: NEW game announcements and as far as Q-Games. What’s the third game and send the trailer on over ;)

+ frito on February 14th, 2008 at 8:45 am said:

****************************Questions?***********************

I have questions!!
*******************

*******************

*******************

1) Are the new PS3 models going to have backwards compatibility? IT IS A BIG DEAL! Whoever thought losing backwards compatibility was ok should be FIRED! 2 of my friends recently bought 360′s because the 40 gig model that was in their price range has no backwards compatibility…what a loss!! That was the deciding factor in their purchase!

2) Custom Soundtracks for every game, all the time, like the XBOX 360 does…is this EVER going to be realized?

3) 1080i support for all games default form now on…THIS ISSUE IS REARING IT’S UGLY HEAD ALL OVER BLOG-DOM!!! It’s making the PS3 look bad! (I’ve got a 1080p set so it’s ok for me…but alot of people don’t!)

4) DUAL SHOCK!!!!! WHEN?!?!?!?!?

5) Any news on MORE MUSIC VISUALIZATIONS would be appreciated!!

thanks Jeff!

peace

+ poprocker on February 14th, 2008 at 8:52 am said:

Socom Confrontation release date and new gamplay footage PLEASE!!!!

+ TONX on February 14th, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

IS the Info Bar on the PS3 going to be updated alongside the blog?

+ Submish on February 14th, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

My question is:

Why doesn’t the RSS feed on the playstaion blog work with the psp? Are there plans to remedy this? Everytime I add the feed to my psp and access it, it says there’s nothing to show…

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 14th, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

The PSP RSS is for video/mp3 feeds, it\’s not a text reader.

+ P_tear_griffin on February 14th, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

To Sucker Punch: How’s Infamous coming along? What’s going to make it different from Prototype and Crackdown?

To Naughty Dog: Will they be working on a new Jak game or will they just focus on Uncharted?

To Sony Bend: Syphon Filter for PS3?

To Phill Harrison and the world wide studios: Any new IP’s, revivals of classic PS1/PS2 games, and any new PSN games coming?

+ Cpt.blue on February 14th, 2008 at 9:00 am said:

All I would do is shower Santa Monica in my undying praise for the creation of Kratos, and his dynamic personality.

Thanks for once again serving the people Jeff! Five stars!

+ Savage on February 14th, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

My Questions are :
1. What is Jonathan Mak of Everyday Shooter fame working on now?

2. XNA is a great way to get into indie dev on Xbox 360 Live, what are Sony planning to offer to encourage people to write new and innovative games for PSN?

3. Will Home avatars be allowed in games?

+ Rogerjak on February 14th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

Is Naughty Dog making any announcement?

+ nmc75 on February 14th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

To Phil Harrison: What are your thoughts on what appears to be a sea change for this generation of video game software where developers from Europe and America seem to be trumping what the Japanese developers are able to produce? The Insomniac, Guerilla Games, Evolution Studios, Naughty Dogs vs. the Konami, Capcom, Namco’s. The difference in their game technologies this generation are very apparent and not only that, the quantity of games produced is also exceeded. What’s happening in Japan?

+ PSheddy on February 14th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

If Jack Tretton speaks ask him, “On a scale of 1 – 10, how nervous were you up there?”

Last time he seemed a little nervous! Hell I know I would… Best of luck!

Most of my other questions have been asked, but I’ll second one so you get a feel for how many people want to know about what things. I just want some solid info on SOCOM: Confrontation. Call of Duty 4 is fun but.. it’s not SOCOM.

+ sacredena on February 14th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

Can we get a damn comment on IN-GAME messaging? This is ridiculous already! You people act like it’s a government classified file that nobody can see. Treating people like crap is CRAP.

+ Seanscythe2 on February 14th, 2008 at 9:29 am said:

To Phil: What Happened to the Home Open Beta in Nov/Dec 2007?

+ zookey on February 14th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

#58 said

My Questions are :
1. What is Jonathan Mak of Everyday Shooter fame working on now?
3. Will Home avatars be allowed in games?

I SECOND THIS STRONGLY——ESPECIALLY NUMBER 2

I am an indy dev (actually talking with Sony producers now—YAY!!!!!!) —–to me it is a big deal to be able to contact you guys and pitch our plans to get working on the PS3—heck to my company it is do-or-die literally——–if you offer something similar (or, dare I say better–it is MS you are competing with after all so that shouldn’t be tough) to XNA that would be a huge thing! To indy devs like us, it opens so much up—it enables creativity to flourish and would VERY easily jive with Game 3.0—-PLEASE PLEAsE PLEASE GUYS COME ON!!!!

Oh yeah, Hi Travis and Jason!! LOL!

+ Mikezula on February 14th, 2008 at 9:40 am said:

WASSUP, HOMES?!?!!??

Are we HOME yet? I’d really like to get HOME.

HOME home on the raaaange, where the dear and the antelope plaaaay.

There’s no place like HOME, there’s no place like HOME! *clicks shoes*

+ ChaseHammer on February 14th, 2008 at 9:52 am said:

1)Whats the next PixelJunk game in the works at Q-Games?

im not sure if Eidos will be there but

2) Any news on when Highlander The Game will be set for release?

+ Jackal888 on February 14th, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

Details of HOME Open Beta.
News on Little Big Planet.
PS1 games on PSP, when are we getting more?
At least get the ones Japan has.
Warhawk 1.3 update.
News on Resistance2.

+ Frazz on February 14th, 2008 at 10:06 am said:

Does sony realize 2008 needs to be big

+ Mitsugeta on February 14th, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

1) Well since you guys have been brought to talk about PS2 legacy titles for download recently and don’t want to comment, I’ll harp on you for PS1 titles. Is there perhaps something in the works like a “PS1 Classics Package”? Meaning every PS1 game to hit North America (and perhaps ones that weren’t translated from Japanese) coming our way to the PSN.

2) RESISTANCE 2! I’m sorry, but you have no choice now, 60 player online demands that I get more info at GDC. I will except nothing less than a demo of a finished level. :p

3) Will Team ICO be at GDC to show anything off?

If you can answer to anything of that please say something.

+ jayd1k on February 14th, 2008 at 10:14 am said:

What’s going on with the PSP Eye Toy?
is it coming out in the U.S.? a lotr of us really would like it to come out here!

+ zakupilot256 on February 14th, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

@ Jeff:

I am coming to GDC for the Career Pavilion, I was wondering if SCEA is going to have any entry level job openings available. I am going there with a ton of resumes and I was hoping I can drop one off to SCEA. I just got out of college and I am looking for a start in the games industry. I hope you can get back to me on this, Thanks Jeff

+ stennex on February 14th, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

As a GAP member this site seems to have more correspondence with PS gamers than the GAP site when conventions like these occur. So for me i would definitely like to see Home finally up and running. I have been beta testing what little they gave to me and i believe that it time that Sony brought it out and allow it to grow. In game xmb is a must. Also i would love if Sony surprised us and allow in game chat and or video chat. Something to rival xbox to show how powerful the PS3 really is. For games, little big planet, killzone 2, Haze at least a demo, RFOM2, GTPro 5, MGS4, Tekken6, and Dual Shock 3 release date. There is more but for now these would make me happy to know about.

+ Snap on February 14th, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

PS3 Home and In-game XMB status and possible release dates.

+ p-s-3 on February 14th, 2008 at 10:44 am said:

PSN cards for the U.K PLEASE!!! ;)

+ greyham on February 14th, 2008 at 10:54 am said:

Home and In-game XMB.

+ rahstar2003 on February 14th, 2008 at 10:59 am said:

Sony owns movie and video game companies and developers and they still manage to have less content than competitors on the psn. Will we see some more interaction between sony’s subsideraries? I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY SONY ISNT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THERE MANY ADVANTAGES!? We should be seeing more trailers, more information period. ALSO, could we get some type of help screen added to the ps3? So many people dont understand what “full rgb” is and different bit rates mean. Yea you could look it up online, but that’s not being convienant for your consumers

+ Gregero on February 14th, 2008 at 11:00 am said:

Home, in-game XMB, and custom tracks along with info on those games that were never talked much about- Afrika and Infamous would be cool.

+ perrandy on February 14th, 2008 at 11:23 am said:

hi jeff i would like you to ask when are the rpgs like shirokishi monogatari/white knight story coming to the u.s.what about valkyrie of the battlefield, too? i also would like to know when you guys are going to release the psn cards and the dualshock 3 in north america?? will backwards compatibility make a comeback for the ps3,ask that one to either phil or jack please? also an idea why dont phil or jack or even kaz hirai doesnt adress directly to us here in the blog at least one a year, like the state of the playstation nation :)
thanks

+ sacredena on February 14th, 2008 at 11:29 am said:

Come on, its my BIRTHDAY for God’s sake, can I get a comment on IN-GAME Messaging??

+ Scarecrow on February 14th, 2008 at 11:29 am said:

I’m hoping to see PlayStation HOME here, bring it Sony!

Any other goodies would be awesome as well.

+ Federation on February 14th, 2008 at 11:38 am said:

@ 78 “perrandy”

Love to see that! For Phil, Jack and Kaz to adress us directly for the “State of the Playstation Nation”
And to Jeff

1 – Looking for updates on Dualshock 3

2 – Looking for updates on PSN Cards

3 – Looking for updates on all that is Sony, PSN, PSP and PS3

4 – Get all of it on the PSN

5 – Looking for updates on Games and more Games and yes more GAMES!!!

+ adolson on February 14th, 2008 at 11:39 am said:

To Sony:

Why do PSP owners need to use a Microsoft Windows PC to download most demos? I run Linux and I refuse to pay Microsoft a dime for anything, so I am stuck missing out on many PSP demos of games that I might be interested in buying, but will never know.

The most puzzling thing is that you can’t even get all the PSP demos through a PS3 – a PSP owner needs to support Microsoft in order to get the most out of the Playstation Store… Seems weird to me.

I don’t know if there’s a Mac version, but I don’t have a Mac either.

(And please don’t tell me to break the law and download Windows illegally. I hate Windows.)

Also, to Sony:

Please stop with the assorted SKUs. Stick with one, your customers will thank you for it… The hard drive is upgradable, let the end user upgrade it on their own. You can reduce costs and confusion if you stick with one SKU… Especially after critisizing Microsoft for their multiple-SKU strategy… It took me over a year to finally buy a PS3 because you kept making new ones and I finally just decided to get one, since it looks like there’s no end in sight to the multiple SKU madness.

+ Snap on February 14th, 2008 at 11:41 am said:

Sony should be promoting the PS3/PSP DRM system. It’s a great system compared to the Xbox 360…

+ Chaos911 on February 14th, 2008 at 11:45 am said:

This isn’t really a question, but I think that all (or most) PS Store games should be able to be played via Remote Play, or at least be able to put them onto your PSP to play them.

+ satans_93 on February 14th, 2008 at 11:46 am said:

1:PSN cards for EU PLEASE
2:haze release date

+ ItotheCtotheE on February 14th, 2008 at 11:54 am said:

Any info on the following games?

ni-oh
eyedentify
fifth phantom saga
killing day
section 8
8 days

+ PSPMAN07 on February 14th, 2008 at 12:01 pm said:

Here are my Questions

For Q-Games

1) Is Angel Love Online still coming to PS3 user, and more specifically, is it coming to US and EU PS3 Users?

2) Is it possible that we’ll see any more of the Lumines Series, and again more specifically, would it be open to the Playstation Store for PS3 Users?

For some other companies (If you happen to come in contact with them)

For Capcom

1) How is the progress for Bionic Commando Rearmed going? Is it possible that we’ll get more sample music updates at the official BC site?

For Square Enix

1) How are the RPGs going. Can we hear how far The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy XIII, and Versus are in development?

For SOE

1) When exactly are those MMOs coming :P

For Slant Six

1) When is the “Estimate”or “goal” release date of Socom: Confrontation.

Sorry for all these questions, but this is what I’m anticipating out of GDC. That and Sony’s updates of course :P:)

+ aaquib on February 14th, 2008 at 12:08 pm said:

So, Jeff, can anyone at Sony confirm or deny this?

+ Federation on February 14th, 2008 at 12:16 pm said:

Jeff make it work love too see a “State of the Playstation Nation”

And for GDC can you get Live Videos from GDC or Video of Questions and Answers?

And open the Blog to the Developers so we all can get more out of GDC!!!!!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 14th, 2008 at 1:43 pm said:

Video of Q & A – you\’re reading my mind.

And open the Blog to developers *during* GDC? I like the way you think. I\’ll see if anyone\’s interested in posting here. Thanks!!

+ adolson on February 14th, 2008 at 12:20 pm said:

Oh yeah, question:

Sony, can you please have the ability to stream direct to the PS3, footage from conferences? GDC, E3, TGS, etc, etc. Would be great to just stream them as they happen right on my TV through my PS3.

+ djspinal on February 14th, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

i would love 2 hear something about 8 days. hopefully maybe home coming sooner then april? y vf 5 never got online, even though it had a massive game data file? y burnout takes so long 2 load, once in the game it’s fine, but y so little on hdd, and y do i have 2 listen g.n.r. for so long every time I start the darn game? that song makes me wanna puke, took it off in game playlist, still plays when it loads, would rather listen avril lavagina ! y do the go sports games blow so much, i actually bought skydiving (my own fault for not trying the demo first, o.. ) and i cant figure out how to turn the crappy tilty control off ! y wuz kane and lynch so bad? where did three speech go? can sony put that new gallery video from ps.com on youtube so i can put it on my myspace? can we get some free games? 1.99 is a lot to ask 4 when it comes to a camera toy ! what is better nat 2 or 3 for using psp to access ps3 over internet? some people say they have problems with both and i cant get mine 2 work, works on private network not internet. what can we expect form sony in 2016? y wuz metal gear and little big planet delayed when bionic commando and street fighter 2 hd r coming soon? is ff7 ever gonna come out 4 psp or ps3 or both or with advent children blu ray? is there ever gonna b more than hype?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ djspinal on February 14th, 2008 at 12:25 pm said:

quick note : my gravatar actually works now!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just noticed

+ WHAT on February 14th, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

I rated this post a 5, but watching you ask a bunch of dumb questions in you ball huggers is just not for me. Thanks for not answering the things that people want to know about. Keep the mystery of your product alive till it’s out. Wait, it is out.

+ drdre74 on February 14th, 2008 at 12:33 pm said:

I can’t wait. I got my tickets and I’m ready to roll out and just try and get as much hands on as I can with some of these games.

+ stew122 on February 14th, 2008 at 12:34 pm said:

For Incognito:

Are they ever going to make the stats work in Warhawk? How do they feel about leaving out a story mode for a “AAA expeirience” when they couldnt even deliver that. will they be giving us a free DLC to make up for it (aswell as fixing the game?)

+ Kaiboy12 on February 14th, 2008 at 12:40 pm said:

Is there any new information on MotorStorm 2 ?

+ Fenrokk on February 14th, 2008 at 12:43 pm said:

Q-Game… are you going to be announcing the release date of your pixeljunk 1-3?

Q-Games. are all pixeljunk 1-3 through 1-6 all going to be released this year?

Q-Games, are you going to release a new music visualizer for the ps3?

Sony, are you going to mention anything about our next big ps3 firmware update?

Are you going to reveal when the playstation network cards go on sale?

OH!!! are you guys gonna release the psp eye toy in the u.s?

is Santa Monica revealing any PSN games?

PS2 games on the PSN remade in 1080p, is this happening?

Incognito… any info on new warhawk DLC?

is the Playstation Store going to get content twice a week insted of just thursdays?

any great ps1 games coming to the store like MGS of Final Fantasy VII?

+ Indifferent on February 14th, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

@1: In-Game text chat is coming this month since it was leaked on the Playstation site lol

Anywayz: I can’t wait for GDC!

+ Money1 on February 14th, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

Ask developers, why no love forfightinggames? wegetlike 4 fighting games this year, tkken 6, soul calibur 4, street fighter 4 which i’m not even sure if it comes out this year and another one I cant remember at the moment. wresting and boxing games dont really count as fighting games as they are extreme sports like skateboarding and such

+ southwoodS on February 14th, 2008 at 12:58 pm said:

I GOTS QUESTIONS…

For Incognito:

1) Is there any new content coming to Warhawk, when, what?
2) Is there a new project they are working on?

For Q-Games:

Just tell them that PixelJunk monsters was great.

For Slant-Six (if they are there):
1) WTF is going up with socom?
2) Need new pics and vids!!!