Minecraft PS4

Warhawk v1.3 Patch details

Dylan Jobe's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Jobe on Feb 15, 2008 // President, LightBox Interactive

I’m excited to announce our new, and FREE, update for Warhawk – the v1.3 Patch!

There are 5 key additions in this update that add a ton of value for our current and future Warhawk players. First, I’ll cover the 2 new troop items that we are adding to the game.

Warhawk1301

So far, Warhawk players have logged over 7.3 million hours of gameplay and have scored over 206 million kills! And during this time, we’ve keenly observed the battles, looking for opportunities for us to further balance Warhawk’s gameplay and over-arching “combat economy”. The result of our observations comes in the form of two upgrades for ground troops – to help promote teamwork, lengthen troop lifespan, and expand Warhawk’s fast-paced, emergent gameplay that players around the world have come to love.

Warhawk1302

This is gonna be a long post and I want to give you all a rundown of the new equipment but I can’t ramble on for pages about it so I’ll just write a quick summary here. I can always follow-up with you guys later in the comments….you know how I love to respond to comments :-)

Warhawk1303

#1 Mechanic’s Field Wrench:

As you might expect, this piece of equipment is used to repair vehicles. Once you get the pickup, you swing it just like the combat blade. Then, just walk up to, or onto an allied vehicle and “whack” it with the wrench. It repairs wicked fast so it’s very effectively during combat. On the offensive side, not only is it still a one-hit-kill against troops, but it can be used to damage enemy vehicles as well!

Warhawk1304

#2 Bio-Field Generator:

To use a Bio-Field, grab the pick up and throw it down like a proximity mine. It sticks to walls, ceilings, anything…including vehicles. Then, if any ally stands within its bio-reactive field, his health will quickly regen. Alternatively, and this is where some neat tactics emerge, if an enemy walks into the bio-field (yes, bio-fields are color coded), they’ll take damage – their lungs sizzling like bacon….mmmmm bacon.

Warhawk1305

This new equipment makes life as a ground troop more balanced, and we’re really looking forward to seeing how the battlefield changes once the patch is released!

Warhawk1306

#3 HOME Game Launching:

Yeah Baby…So our HOME integration is coming along nicely and this update includes a great, and much needed feature for Warhawk. With the release of v1.3 patch, players will be able to form groups, meet in their apartments, discuss tactics, and then launch a game of Warhawk…all together!

When you’re in your apartment, all you do is whip-out your virtual PSP, select ‘create game’ and pick Warhawk. From there, you get to start your own player server, pick a game rotation, set server options and then…BAM !! Launch Warhawk with all of your friends!! You can also pick to not make your game viewable to the other Warhawk players around the world, or you can make it a ‘public’ game that puts all of your friends into the server together, and leaves open slots for other global Warhawk players join.

Games launched from HOME show up in the global games list in an attactive gold color.

Warhawk1307

Now this is just the beginning of what we’re gonna to be doing with HOME and there’s some really neat stuff on the horizon. I’d love to show you more of the cool HOME stuff that we’re working on but I suspect I’d get a PR-shank to the spine…or possibly a lung.

So I gotta say that I’m actually super relieved that we’re putting in *REAL* legit value for players and *NOT* making HOME a portal for SONY to jam branding and marketing schwag down player’s throats!

As a gamer, I’m excited *and* relieved to see the direction HOME is taking.

#4 New VOIP Options:

We have also received a lot of feedback about VOIP stuff. There were a couple of features that players really wanted, and hopefully this gives them a big chunk of their crazy, crazy VOIP desires. :-P

We now allow players to select between PTT and Open-Mic. Players can also tune the voice-activation level so they don’t accidentally broadcast their girlfriend or boyfriend blabbering-on in the background. Players also now get to more clearly see who’s talking. It’s displayed on the right side of the screen. And yes, the picture below is correct. We also now support an “all-talk” server option so that you can enable cross-team trash talk.

Warhawk1308

What else…oh yeah, we now display which player is speaking at the score screen too. And…we let you pick players from the score screen to mute/un-mute their VOIP.

#5 New Paint Schemes & Insignias:

If you’re an avid Warhawk player and/or read this blog with any regularity, then you know that we are sponsoring a contest that allows players to submit their own, custom, paint schemes for the Nemesis and Warhawk. We’re also allowing players to submit custom insignias too. We’ll be picking the winners and including these new customizations with the v1.3 patch.

Now I’m not posting these because they have already won…but these are some neat designs and I wanted the blog readers to see some of the great paint schemes that have been coming in.

Warhawk1309Warhawk1310

Warhawk1311Warhawk1312Warhawk1313

And one last thing…we want insignias too. Send us your insignias…and please DO NOT just scan something out of a magazine. Seriously!

Well that’s it for now, there are some other features in the new patch too, like some new server options, but we’re not sure if we’re going to ship them or not. They need more play testing.

So this patch is a big update for Warhawk: New troop equipment, HOME Game Launching, VOIP updates and player-created customizations!

~guy in back of room yells “yeah, yeah….but when’s it coming out”~

We’re testing the Warhawk v1.3 patch right now and we’ll update you on timing in another post. Sorry I can’t be more specific…you know how it goes. As soon as I have the “official” release date, I’ll let everyone know.

As always…
rock on

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12

+ b60904 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:22 pm said:

can’t wait for it, it all sounds good but what about some ground vehicles!!

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:23 pm said:

Adding on to 97: What is the rate that the biofield (and wrench while we are at it) will heal somebody (or injure, why not)
98:or you hit the front tire and it jackknifes. One sniper shot should blow it up. This could be very legit if done right (don’t worry. I trust you. My favorite dev)

Add me:coltsfreak21

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

the AoE parameters of the bio-field are not fully tuned yet so I can\’t really comment on this.

But, we did take into account that fact that Warhawk is giga-fast-paced and for support equipment to really work and fit in the combat economy, they have to heal troops and repair vehicles very quickly to be of any real value to a player…at least in our game.

+ Vex_Doppel on February 15th, 2008 at 7:23 pm said:

Almost forgot two VERY important questions.
1. Will the Gentle Giant statue be avialable to all to buy if we don’t win?
2. Where’d the Papercraft section go?

+ NoBullet on February 15th, 2008 at 7:24 pm said:

When will the Paint Schemes & Insignia winners be announced?

+ bigshynepo on February 15th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

Sounds Awesome Dylan!

Warhawk has hooked alot of friends who were otherwise unimpressed with the playstation catalog at the time of it’s release. Keep up the great work!

Now, just wondering if the Mechanic’s Wrench will allow you to be invisible on the radar like the knife?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 7:27 pm said:

;-)

yes…you maintain your radar status when using a wrench, just like the knife.

+ ghamdikh1 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

Yo Dylan can you kindly add some support for the PSEye ‎& remote play feature.‎

+ terminatorvsmtrx on February 15th, 2008 at 7:28 pm said:

Yeah Dylan you talk to us way more than anyone else does haha.. very much appreciated!!

+ ShadowKoneko on February 15th, 2008 at 7:31 pm said:

You have no clue how excited I am over the wrench alone. For so long I have leaped onto tanks wishing I had a way to do damage [without blowing myself up] and rarely had a flamethrower on me at the time… and now I can just leap on them and start wacking! I shall be the greatest Wrench Ninja!! ^.^

+ mclaren777 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

The only thing I really want in the next update is the ability to capture screengrabs from the final stats screen. If Resistance can allow players to grabs stills while fighting, surely Warhawk can allow people to capture their end-game stats for later bragging purposes. And from what I’ve read in the SDK literature, the utility doesn’t consume very many resources so hopefully we’ll see this feature one day.

+ Vex_Doppel on February 15th, 2008 at 7:34 pm said:

I’m wondering if there are any plans for more of a role for the co-pilot of the Warhawk?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:23 pm said:

we have always wanted to give the co-pilot something more substantial to do.

This topic always comes up in our design meetings and I\’d really like to do something with it.

future work…

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:35 pm said:

At myself/102:I don’t mean the range, but I’m sure you won’t tell me the effects of the biofield ;). Warhawk is my multiplayer excuse for having my ps3s (other than blu-ray movies and uncharted, which aren’t multiplayer) To have a giga fast pace we need motorcycles and speedboats…

+ REBELYELL on February 15th, 2008 at 7:36 pm said:

So with too new weapon’s will we be seeing more weapon badge’s and dylan why could’nt the paint contest be open to Australia and as ive heard spectulation of a snow map it this come’s anytime after this update will there be sled vechile’s also i would like to see hangar’s for WH/nemsis that heel your plane’s cause on the 32 servers hard to get health when ev one else has taking it also one last thing next troop weapon should be a lighting gun that can fully charge too to really fry people

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:35 pm said:

Sorry about not having the contest in Australia…we are working with our team at SCEE to get a similar contest setup.

We\’ll let you know when we have it all setup!

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:38 pm said:

at 110 vex_doppel-I say they should have control of the TOW missile while the pilot still flies… To make that less unfair, you can make the plane slower… a lot slower when co-piloted. They should also control chaff, while facing backwards the whole time.

+ CEG on February 15th, 2008 at 7:44 pm said:

One question about the biofield generator. Do its effects penetrate walls? I.e. if you plant one on the outside of a bunker that an enemy flag carrier is hiding in, will he take damage?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:36 pm said:

Its effects can penetrate walls.

+ ShadowKoneko on February 15th, 2008 at 7:44 pm said:

110 and 113, would be rather neat if the co-pilot got a more advanced radar they could use, like different icons for troops and vehicles, special icons for knife users as well as a gained extra 3 chaff that only the co-pilot can use. Oh and an early warning for missles, goes off when someone Starts to zero in for a lockon. That would be rather sweet and I would always be willing to co-pilot for. :)

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:49 pm said:

115-And it would be somewhat unfair. That is why i said it goes slower. It should also have less health because The person inside the secondary cockpit takes up space and when he gets shot the blood shorts the system. I have no clue. Disregard everything after it says health

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:50 pm said:

115-And it would be somewhat unfair. That is why i said it goes slower. It should also have less health because The person inside the secondary cockpit takes up space and when he gets shot the blood shorts the system. I have no clue. Disregard everything after it says less health!

+ southwoodS on February 15th, 2008 at 7:54 pm said:

Awsome. I bought Warhawk the first day it came out on the PSN. I got COD 4 played that and loved it. Now im back playing both Warhawk and COD 4. Now this might take time away from COD 4. I LOVE YOU. ???I DIDNT MEAN THAT???

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:56 pm said:

115. That is too cheap. Co pilot should be able to die at half of the planes health, give the plane less health, or make the plane super slow…

+ byrd864 on February 15th, 2008 at 7:57 pm said:

Jobe! I’m not even done reading this post and I LOVE IT! Holy cow! Home integration, new weapons, new chat options…I’m not even done reading the post and I’m too excited.

+ ShadowKoneko on February 15th, 2008 at 8:01 pm said:

117, how so? The co-pilot is reliant on the pilot to survive, and cannot attack, only do recon and offer Some help on survival, but very limited.

+ Cerberus_Hunter on February 15th, 2008 at 8:01 pm said:

Thanks! Finally great updates for gameplay :)

What about new guns? vehicles maybe? :p

Love the game keep up the good work!

+ verdantalan on February 15th, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

cool!!! i’ll really get into warhawk when this arrives (and cant wait for home to come out of course)

BTW(and I know this wont be responded but nevertheless) any word of psn for mexico or even the use of mex. credit cards on the US ps store

thanks for a really cool update of an already great game

P.S. keep rocking on!

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:39 pm said:

…I did a bit of research on this and…

what is your PSN account name?

This is largely out of my control, but there is one thing that might work.

+ Synthesize on February 15th, 2008 at 8:09 pm said:

This is really exciting news!!! I can’t wait for the HOME implementation and the new VOIP options!

It’s a great way to implement a lobby/party system to a game.

+ Horrorist on February 15th, 2008 at 8:10 pm said:

dylan will u put medal,badge ribbon for the dropship
also a way to force team change people in player ranked server
also a jumpack would be great for the trooper

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:41 pm said:

We are looking at adding some new awards…but they may not be \”traditional\” Warhawk ribbons, medals, etc.

:-)

+ Aschx on February 15th, 2008 at 8:11 pm said:

Hey Dylan… just wondering, is there any way we could somehow take a screenshot in-game and save it to our HDD? If not (which I think so) any plans to add such a thing? Also, why are the flickr photos private?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:44 pm said:

We haven\’t discussed any in-game screenshot feature. I\’ll bring it up in our next design meeting.

As far as the Flickr thing…I\’m not sure. I\’ll grab my BlackBerry and email Jeff.

+ Mini_Sal on February 15th, 2008 at 8:12 pm said:

New VOIP options sound GREAT, as does the use of Home! Are there any other ways that Warhawk will utilize the awesome-ness that is Home??? Also, this is ridiculous, how did you not mention the RAD taxi warhawk paint scheme I submitted :P

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:42 pm said:

Ha ha…it was *indeed* RAD :-)

There are other cool HOME things working on but I just cant talk about them yet.

+ coltsfreak21 on February 15th, 2008 at 8:14 pm said:

Shadow, add me to your psn friends list… We’ll talk it out there, and fight it out on warhawk (im not kidding). If your like me, warhawks are already overpowered, but the copilot would make it ridiculous. That is why I think copilots are unfair without a necessary reduction in pilot abilities.

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:48 pm said:

Warhawk are very powerful.

it was funny to see some people respond thinking that the Warhawk was just an easy target in the sky.

Being a good pilot is tricky, no doubt. There are some ridiculously good pilots out there. But if you look at the statistics, the most fearsome players focus a lot of their combat time in a Warhawk.

This patch is aimed at helping ground troops and ground vehicles be a bit more balanced against aircraft.

+ SmogItUp on February 15th, 2008 at 8:18 pm said:

Okay this is going to be long an most likely dragged out, but here it goes…I have been trolling this site for a few months now, and have finally took the time to register..Anyways here is the story. I have had my ps3 for 5 months or so now and just picked up warhawk 2 days ago. I did not know what i was missing..What a frenzied experience! Anyways, there were several features i saw that it was lacking, mainly the voip features that are coming with this update. I was really dissapointed in the communication features of a game that was “team based”. With this update the minor squabbles I had with this game are now completely gone and it will be stealing most of my COD4 time from now on! Another thing, Dylan you rock at responding to comments even though it seems like after comment 100 or so you stop reading/replying..So this is your test..Are you still reading them?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:43 pm said:

ha ha…yes, I\’m still reading them!

+ Synthesize on February 15th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

Also will the be proximity voice chat between the enemy and team members? That would be sweet.

+ dynolord on February 15th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

I really want warhawk to have three things and it will be a perfect game.
one parachutes for passengers of warhawks and the dropship
two a shotgun
and three a motorcycle that is faster then a warhawk in hover mode and can have a small mounted machine gun and maybe a side car

+ dynolord on February 15th, 2008 at 8:24 pm said:

oh yeah the patch is pretty sweet

+ ryuk on February 15th, 2008 at 8:28 pm said:

@Dylan
Hey dylan thanks for the Signed Copy of Warhawk from the Warhawk IGN battle that was so fun! I still havn’t opened it. :) Oh and when you mean “Open MIC” do you mean we dont have to click L3 anymore?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:50 pm said:

No worries Ryuk!!! I\’m sorry it took us so long to ship it out to you!

yeah, its a client-side option. Some people still liked pressing L3 but we got a crap-ton of requests for voice activated Open-Mic.

So now, once you adjust the new voice activation slider, your mic will just auto-transmit when you start talking.

of course if you are being annoying, other players will mute you!!

+ Voozi on February 15th, 2008 at 8:30 pm said:

Hey Dylan, not sure if you’ve gotten this suggestion before but you most likely have…but I’ll say it anyway! haha

Squads in Warhawk…Players are able to spawn on there squad leader (max 4-6 players per squad & max that # / max players for that game for max squads)

Pretty much the same concept as that game Battlefield 2 if you’ve never played it before.

I think this would be the best way to promote team work.

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:52 pm said:

the concept of dynamic spawn points will go a long way to help ground troops assault, and keep pressure on a control point.

;-)

+ lagreendown on February 15th, 2008 at 8:39 pm said:

lol can you give out your psn mine is claSSiK

+ Rux on February 15th, 2008 at 8:44 pm said:

Awesome news!

+ snookalo on February 15th, 2008 at 8:47 pm said:

Are the points going to be adjusted any? It seems like the impossible dream to get to the top with the points how they are now. More emphasis on teamplay would be cool. Like points for driving a flag carrier back for example. I know what you were doing when you adjusted the points before(keeping people from camping at bases during CTF), but I think maybe more emphasis on kills would have been better than taking points away from teamplay.

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:54 pm said:

We are looking at making a points adjustment with the v1.3 patch.

+ simply_impressd on February 15th, 2008 at 8:48 pm said:

DYLAN:

You mentioned HOME integration with Warhawk via the PSP, does that mean that we can actually see the servers/games directly from the virtual PSP’s and choose from their?
(That would be SOOOOO awesome)

Anywho, I love the compassion from Dylan and the Team –this might just get me back into Warhawk full-fledged

+ artofwar420 on February 15th, 2008 at 8:49 pm said:

This is awesome, totally awesome, I’m going to play it right now. And Dylan you are such a tease :)

HOME IS COMING SOONER THAN WE THOUGHT!

PRAISE HIS NOODLINESS.

+ CreativeWriter on February 15th, 2008 at 8:50 pm said:

After some initial probs with stats, servers, etc, the Incog guys have really had fantastic support for the game. As an early adopter (day 1 for me) it’s been a dry year for PS3 owners, but Warhawk has been a wonderful surprise. No single-player and still a great experience.

It would be unexpected and fantastic if Warhawk continued to pump out content updates and patches long into 2009-10 (perhaps a small, dedicated team could keep working on updates as a Warhawk 2 or Warhawk single-splayer expansion is developed). New ground vehicles (“heavy tank,” “light tank,” “motorcycle,” “minesweeper,” “kamikaze jeep,” for example), new flying vehicles (“spy plane,” “dogfighter/dedicated anti-air plane,” “kamikaze plane/flying bomb that you parachute out of at the last second,” etc), new flying powerups (“smokescreen/chaff-cloud that lingers and throws off all missiles that pass through it,” “bunker-buster bomb to reach into buildings,” “mustard gas/poison cloud/flying version of the biofield that dissipates over ten seconds or so,” “radiation nuke that drains a tiny bit of life from all enemies in an area,” etc), and new maps (snow-storm, vertical city, water map, etc) rolled out over the next year/year and a half could generate interest in the game and keep us playing.

I’m sure you folks have plenty of ideas for future content updates. Thanks again for the continued community support!

+ superbone547 on February 15th, 2008 at 8:56 pm said:

Can’t wait. But as for the Home inegration, will there be a good way for clan members to get together in Home without being on each other’s friend’s lists?

+ diablo103 on February 15th, 2008 at 8:57 pm said:

Dear Dylan, may I start off by saying thank you, beacuse out of all the gamse i have bought, you and your team are the only people to keep us up to date on whats going on.
Other than launching warhawk from Home, will there be truphies and a special warhawk room intigrated in Home.btw any info on Home’s release date? just wondering.
Thnx

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:56 pm said:

I do wish I could talk about this more diablo103…but the PR Ninjas!!! They lurk around every corner.

+ bitbydeath on February 15th, 2008 at 8:58 pm said:

Warhawk is my favourite online game ever.

I hope you guys are planning a 2nd Warhawk, i know i’d buy it day one if you made some big changes to it, improved graphics, new features, new weapons, new vehicles, etc etc

Feel free to drop hints of it being on the way :-)

+ DrPirate on February 15th, 2008 at 9:01 pm said:

Hey Dylan, the news is awesome and I can’t wait. I love how Warhawk is my draught game, or that game I can play in-between all my other games and it always feels fresh and exciting.

Anyways, minor question: Will we be getting any medals or awards that have to do with the Transport ship?

Additionally, will there be awards and medals that accommodate use of the wrench or bio-mine?

This one is probably in your NDA as well (like the other 2 questions :P), healing a tank or a vehicle will get you team points?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 10:00 pm said:

we are not putting in any medals or awards for these items…at least not in the normal Warhawk way…

+ Kenshin001 on February 15th, 2008 at 9:06 pm said:

Dylan, I’m looking forward to this update and I heard a rumour about a new expansion pack, “Operation Broken Mirror”. I’m one of those many people who imported the game and can not access the Omega Dawn DLC from the US store because Sony blocks non-US credit cards. Can you possibly talk to them and a) get them to at least comment on the issue and b) encourage them to work out some solution ASAP? I think you said it was out of your hands and you were going to talk to them a few weeks ago but we never got any follow up. Thanks.

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 9:58 pm said:

What is your PSN handle?

+ kspraydad on February 15th, 2008 at 9:06 pm said:

I don’t have this game (came out before I bought my PS3 and I haven’t seen the price anywhere near what I saw it for since ($39 w/headset))…just wanted to say I’m VERY impressed with the additions made to the game and the very responsive Dylan Jobe.

+ drdre74 on February 15th, 2008 at 9:08 pm said:

Sounds like some good updates even though I’m pretty new to the game.

+ Jeigh on February 15th, 2008 at 9:26 pm said:

Ha, I like the cooperative direction of this update. :D

But ilovebacon.com? Really?

+ Dylan Jobe on February 15th, 2008 at 10:01 pm said:

mmmmm…..bacon

~drool~

+ Savage_Otters on February 15th, 2008 at 9:27 pm said:

Wow, you guys do an amazing job. I know I can speak for about 20 of those hours logged on the game.
One request- I’d like to be allowed to blog voice chat from specific people in the game. Sometimes there’s one (or two) obnoxious people who can make things quite annoying.

+ Savage_Otters on February 15th, 2008 at 9:29 pm said:

Whoops! Looks like I need to read the post before I comment! Well, my request has already been fulfilled.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12