PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

GDC: PlayStation Blogger Lounge Wrap-up (Part 1)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 22, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

PlayStation.Blog @ GDC

If you’ve been wondering (aloud, some of you), where this Blog’s GDC updates have been – well even the best laid plans can be crushed under the treads of mighty Flu Season. Rest assured, once my temperature drops under 100 F (fingers crossed), I’ll make an effort to get answers to those questions you were nice enough to send in last week.

On the opposite side of the coin, our PlayStation Blogger’s Lounge was a success in that it allowed dozens of media outlets access and time to post hundreds of stories on GDC developments such as Insomniac’s Nocturnal initiative, Sony’s PhyreEngine graphics engine, and hands-on impressions of flOw PSP, echochrome, and GT5: Prologue with the new Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

So much thanks to sites like Kotaku, Joystiq (and their affiliated Fanboy sites), Destructoid, GameSpot, Gamervision, IGN, Level Up, MTV’s Multiplayer, and everyone else who dropped on by over the past few days.

Sidenote: it’s becoming clear that we need to re-institute our policing of the comments area. A number of you have mentioned that they’re sick of wading through unrelated requests that have begun creeping back into nearly every blog post. So, keep it on topic, people! We don’t enjoy banning people as much as you might think (we’ve really only done it like 10 times in the history of the blog).

If there’s something off topic you’re itching to talk about, send it to the Contact Us link on the right side of the blog (we read them!), or take it to the ever-present boards. Thanks!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ adj24 on February 24th, 2008 at 2:51 am said:

Sign the release of Home Open Beta Petition @ http://www.petitiononline.com/ps3home/petition.html and sony plz look @ this as this is what your customers are asking 4.

+ p-s-3 on February 24th, 2008 at 3:06 am said:

Any chance of doing a
Daily Off-topic Comment page???
on this blog???
Then people could leave off-topic comments on it so your normal pages like this will be free of people asking for things?(Yep!i do it to!!!) ;-D
The ‘Contact Us’ bit is not the same as putting a comment on this.
If you do that then i can moan ;-D about things like- Wheres – HOME,L.B.P,in-game XMB,Dual Shock 3 pads(for U.K),PSN Cards(for U.K) and all that! ;-D

+ Genki-Rocket on February 24th, 2008 at 5:00 am said:

@ Comment 99

Sorry but this blog was designed as a ‘conversation’ between Sony and Playstation fans… to a large extent it’s been a success at that.

HOWEVER:

When they start trying to censor us and say ‘you can’t comment about X’ then the whole thing falls down and you realise it’s not a conversation at all.

The reason every post is filled with comments about in-game XMB is that Sony have been disingenuous about it from the start… By which mean:

1 – never explaining why it was in pre-release demos of the console and then quietly removed by launch

2 – never been open about he schedule and the reasons it’s taking so long to put back in.

It’s all very well saying the PS3 is the most technically adept console, but basic features like checking messages, etc ARE important. There’s nothing more infuriating than having to quite out of a game to check a message, Also, Xbox 360 allowed access to friends lists, cross game invites… messages, etc, a full year before PS3 even launched.

Why are we stil waiting for this?

FRANKLY I THINK YOU TRYING TO TELL US WHAT WE CAN AND CAN’T COMMENT ON ON THIS BLOG SHOWS THAT YOU ARE FAILING TIO MANAGE THIS ISSUE WELL AND ARE TRYING TO SILENCE US.

I reiterate from before:

WHY CANT YOU ADDRESS THE XMB ISSUE PROPERLY? Is it so hard to get someone to come on the blog and talk candidly about why it’s taking so long?

+ p-s-3 on February 24th, 2008 at 7:08 am said:

@100

@99;)

Maybe it will get like
where if you speak your mind you get banned to the ‘Open Zone’ bit :-/
+I know what you mean, we get no info on about how thing we want are going
(i.e in-game XMB,DS3 pad coming out,PSN Cards coming out,HOME etc etc)
+I don’t mind having a daily page where people can chat about anything Playstation;)

+ Genki-Rocket on February 24th, 2008 at 8:30 am said:

@ 101

I stand by my comment (number 100) that this blog belongs to playstation fans.. and that we should be able to say what we like.

The people asking what’s going on re XMB are not asking becase they want to derail anything… they asking because Sony keeps talking around the issue.

+ greg1184 on February 24th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

@100 Do you have any link supporting that the PS3 had in game XMB before release?

+ cmargary on February 24th, 2008 at 10:15 am said:

@103greg1184

theres a video in youtube go ahead and watch it…

+ cmargary on February 24th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

ok.. it is just me.. or this interview this guy said home will be out next week? I think he is just misinformed or just speculating because far I know.. the only that will be out next week will be the update thing

+ Genki-Rocket on February 24th, 2008 at 3:46 pm said:

@105

what interview?

+ cmargary on February 24th, 2008 at 3:52 pm said:

@Genki-Rocket
I didn’t know I don’t gave the link… if I write weird is because I’m a little drunk early in the night… anyway…

+ ozzyuno on February 25th, 2008 at 4:50 am said:

Now that Phill harrison has risigned what will happen to home!? More delayes? I hope not!

I cant belive after so many posts people at sony don’t answer that much on this blog,
and all the answers are not straight forward that we get! We only ask simple things!
The guy’s on this blog must have orders from high up not to anwer anything!

About xmb i think tha Phill harrison must know something is wrong with the new firmware!

+ cmargary on February 25th, 2008 at 5:32 am said:

@ozzyuno

Yes, PH risigned to 29 of this month… the rumors is that he will go to EA… I hope too that Home it will not hurt by this because he was a profile of the project but I guess not…

+ cmargary on February 25th, 2008 at 5:47 am said:

Sorry..

I think is Atari not EA.. anyway is rumor so maybe is not true..

+ nick2409 on February 25th, 2008 at 7:18 am said:

oh [DELETED]! phil is gone! sony japan, what have you done!

+ cmargary on February 25th, 2008 at 12:13 pm said:

wow… just look at this link

This demonstrate how poor a publisher can be with their buyers… they don’t care about the trophies if they can’t make money from it :S

+ Genki-Rocket on February 25th, 2008 at 3:34 pm said:

@ 114…. the only credible seeming person in the SCE roster will not be on stage at E3 this year.

Sigh.

Dark days indeed.

Is this what it was link to be saturn owner?

+ BYU-I on February 25th, 2008 at 5:15 pm said:

GDC 08 rrod pricless….

+ sunny d on February 25th, 2008 at 9:16 pm said:

why does dbz burst limit story mode for PS3 only go up to the cell saga it should go longer??!?

+ ozzyuno on February 26th, 2008 at 5:07 am said:

PLAYSTATION BLOGGER LOUNGE WRAP-UP (PART 2)

+ ozzyuno on February 26th, 2008 at 5:18 am said:

Sorry where is part 2?
I hope that the Thousands of people that are looking for answers will get some soon, or at least a hint! Hope you get to ready my message!
I’m Writing from Italy and I can tell you for sure that people here are really fedup about the Home and XMB business!

+ nextdoornikki-videos on February 28th, 2008 at 12:26 pm said:

nextdoornikki-videos.com

+ ghaladen on March 3rd, 2008 at 6:25 pm said:

Thanks Jeff. But I’m wondering about PhyreEngine. What is the programming language? C++? That would be my assumption, but I didn’t know if Sony was brewing their own scripting language or not. Anyway, if you know, please do tell. Thanks.

+ Fantatier on March 4th, 2008 at 2:41 am said:

so any news on the wrap up?

PAGE 1 2 3